Posts by oldkeith

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

As general advice, I'd say for starters stay away from refined modern food if you can, especially too much white bread, cakes and puddings made from white flour, sugar, sweets, factory-produced meals that are mostly sugar and refined fats, etc. then you can go on to studying which fruits and vegetables you might be better to avoid.

Some of the advertised advice for sale online is no great shakes, just some variations on general keep-fit and medical advice for arthritis suffers. As some people are genetically more prone to arthritis than others, there is only so much they can do in the dietary direction, but it will certainly help.

Sorry to go off topic with the beard, Prepper, but we can get back on again because the Wahl electric clippers I use I bought back in 1992, and I'm still using them, so they have been bloody good value, actually made in the USA, no manure!

Still have all the bits that came with them, including the comb that looks nice but ain't got teeth long enough for my hair to use....:D

Working - or loafing - in a Community Shed in normal times, I can't afford to let what my missus calls the Winter Beard grow too long, as there's lots of wood machinery on the go!

So after a couple of really sweaty days - we haven't had any this year so far - I generally give it a trim, so it just about saves me washing my neck in front....:whistle:

Yes, bluetooth needs to be turned on. But some phones have it turned on by default when they are switched on.

The idea was that you could pick up bluetooth adverts on your phone when you passed close enough to a shop or kiosk.

"Need an haircut Sir/Madam? Something for the weekend? Etc. etc..."

I think they trialed it in some area of London, and it proved to be a bloody nuisance, so people turned it off, or avoided those shops who used it.

I doubt if it will get used much. In fact I doubt if more than 25% will take it up anywhere, OIW included, unless they are pressurised or somehow brainwashed into doing it. And of those 25%, about half will drop it like a hot potato once they realise the implications involved. The amount of false positives alone should make anyone think twice. And they won't notify you it's a false positive; you'll just have to self-isolate and stay in for a couple of weeks. Explain that to the boss after you've just started back at work!

Here you are, out and about again after the lockdown, started earning again, getting back into the swing of it all, when you get a little warning that you have passed someone in the street seven days ago who has now registered himself and has tested positive. Please go into self-isolation immediately.You what?

But you feel okay, no temperature, no cough, WTF, you'll carry on, won't you? And so will most others, if they feel no symptoms....

We had a series of vans since the late 1970's, but probably the best value-for-money buy was our (Rover!) Maestro van, which we used for local markets, festivals now and then, holidays, etc., sometimes kipping in the back if the weather was bad.

We bought when it was two years old in 1988, and believe it or not, it lasted until after we retired in 2011, selling it for spares to a lad in the Maestro owners club. It cost little to run, carried heavy loads of books regularly to market, and had very few big jobs done over the years, apart from new brake discs and calipers, and once when a front spring snapped, (luckily only going over a road-hump at the time!). Toward the end it needed a bit of DIY welding most years to get the MOT.

We stood together hand-in-hand watching the lad drive the van off, and a great sense of a stage in our life together being over came upon us. It was quite sad:(.

We bought a s/h estate car, but it was never quite the same. More comfortable in some ways, but we couldn't understand why we were carting empty seats about in the back... Before long the seats got tipped forward and we were using it as a van....:)

One of my best small buys was ten West German ex-army shirts, back in the 90's. A trader had them on the local market - I used to stand markets - at £1.50 each. They weren't moving very quick, so I offered to buy ten at £1 each. I have used them for work and around the place ever since. One or two are a bit frayed at the edges now, but because I rotate wearing them, they never seem to wear out! Quality of that kind must be difficult to find cheaply today....

Being retired, we luckily haven't been so affected as many people. Perhaps the experience of not being able to see or visit friends and colleagues, and some relatives, is most noticed.

However, unless we are careful, there is a tendency to see every day as a sort of Sunday, getting up late, having brunch instead of lunch, pottering about on this and that, and somehow not really getting anything done.

One way to avoid this is to make a list of what you will - you hope - be doing the following day, and work to this when you get up in the morning. You can also count your blessings, as there are very many people who are much worse off than ourselves.

One thing I have noticed is quietness - the quietness of the roads with less traffic, the streets with very few people, even the quietness of the parks, and the quiet way people buy in the stores, mostly keeping to their lists of essentials, and tending to avoid browsing the 'special buys' and the 'men's toys' sections.

We have found ourselves reading more since the lockdown began, and it is a good time to begin to read the work of someone you have always meant to, but never actually got around to. Or to begin a course of study in a subject that interests you, that you may not have had time for until now. There are many free courses online, and these are easy to follow if you have a desktop or laptop computer; perhaps not so easy on a smartphone.

We have also got into joining a few meetings online, which is an interesting experience, via Zoom.

The great thing - at least in our experience - is to give yourselves plenty to do under these present restricting circumstances. Or try to do, there is always time to complete the job tomorrow:)

Hi Jason, and welcome:wave:

You'll find lots of chat about vehicles on here.

A mate of mine years back (Hunt Sabs) had one of those big old ex-army Bedfords.

Jeeze, they used to do gallons to the mile!:D

Cloudy and cool here all day, ideal for working down the allotment, putting the last of the potatoes in.

Go easy with the bark, Doc, and remember, it's a lot lighter than gravel....:)

I'd like to think it wouldn't be swept under the carpet of mutual diplomacy. But it will be.

It is quite normal for the American intelligence agencies to lie when it suits them, because this can be deemed to be in the national interest.

Considering that it is coming to light that several countries participated in this bat virus research, including Australia, it is obvious that it will be in the interest of all of these countries to declare that this virus was not man-made. But that tells us nothing, although it sounds good. No virus can be man-made from scratch. We are not yet at that state of science.

What we can do is to manipulate natural viruses in a number of ways, a quite complex process. They haven't said that it was a natural virus that they were or were not manipulating in any way. There is quite a difference.

At a local village festival here last year the mummers had 'greened-up' instead of blacking-up. Possibly in deference to the politically-correct who may have been wandering about, I suspect, but don't know for sure.

It went off okay, and not many eyebrows were raised, but I was a bit apprehensive that a Treenmight walk by, and be racially-offended. But the dances went their full course, and thankfully no Treens appeared....:D

From a report I read from a Korean scientist, he said that the virus showed signs of basic modifications, but not the extensive modifications expected of a weaponised version.

The Chinese themselves said that it was at least 96% the same as a particular bat virus they had been working on in their labs. So that's a good start.

The Americans had apparently paid the Chinese a great deal of money to do research on certain viruses originating in bats, so despite Trump's protestations, it may have been a Chinese experiment paid for with American money that accidentally infected some worker, and after that, the World.

Not to mention the fun of sharing a vehicle with a few hens every night to keep them safe from the old fox, and the simple pleasure of cleaning up after them the next day....:D

I ve bascily cocked up then ive potted the tomatoe seed in small or medium sized pots that i was going to transplant into bigger pots.

Nothing wrong there. Just pot them on into larger pots or tubs when they get a bit big and unwieldy. You shouldn't put any young seedlings into big pots to start with, as they tend to get over-watered, and end up swimming, which soon kills them off.

(If seedlings are kept too wet in a big pot they tend to get mould, and die like flies).

You'll need pretty big pots or tubs to grow tomatoes in, Prepper. Unless you are able to water and feed them regularly. Tomatoes love plenty of water when they grow into big plants, especially when fruiting. They are greedy feeders too, so either put plenty of manure in the bottom of the pots when potting them, or be prepared to liquid-feed them regularly, once or twice a week.

A sunny window-sill might do, but unless you have a wide window ledge you may need to put them on a table, or make up a stand for them. They go up tall if there's not enough light, so to get decent-sized tomatoes stop the plant at the third or fourth fruiting truss (bunch). The aim is to have one main fruiting stem, and take out all side shoots, and shoots from the bottom of the plant.

Except for bush tomatoes, the ones with the small fruits. You can let these grow freely, just keep them from spreading too much. The small-fruited tomatoes are not quite so fussy, and will tolerate a bit of occasional neglect, but still need good soil and regular watering.

As regards ventilation, give plenty on warm days, some on cool days, but they don't like long cold nights, so if it's going to drop below 10C overnight, either close your windows or just leave a crack on.

Hi Man, nice to have you aboard:wave:

As the guys say, this is a pretty laid-back place, so you'll appreciate it here.

Every once in a while an odd guy will kick off a little, but we tend to roll with that; just some guy blowing his own hat off when life gets a little too heavy:frust:, as it has been for some folk recently.

Most of the time if we don't agree we agree to disagree and get along fine.....:)

yeah ditto they can take that app and shove it, but what if it's made compulsory, only allowed in banks,shops etc if you have tha app??

They can't do that, unless they are giving everyone who hasn't got one a free smartphone. Like doing everything on the www, it just isn't possible.

Quite a large number of the population do not have access to a smartphone, and many of these do not have access to the web. So the roasting the politicians would get from the civil liberties people, here and abroad, would finish that before it got started.

It's like currency. They would love to do away with cash, but they daren't. Not yet, anyway. Where they can, they have been using the corona virus crisis to try to push people not to use cash, but from what I have observed plenty of people are still using cash, including myself.

So far as the app is concerned, not many will bother, if South Korea is anything to go by. Less than 20% of those who have smartphones in S. Korea downloaded it, and even less used it. And that is in a very gadget-orientated country. Says it all, really.

Boris, if you've got a cocktail shaker handy - one does have, doesn't one? - just check it's dry before you slide your phone inside. Then call it on a mate's phone and see if it rings.

I have an old flask somewhere I intend trying out, too....:D

'What makes a good person?'

'Good' is a relative concept, whether one likes it or not. What is considered 'Good' by any particular individual depends on upbringing, peer ideas, beliefs or lack of them, innate morality, knowledge and education, etc.

Among some, it is seen as good to steal. A good thief amasses wealth, is looked up to by that kind of society, and greatly admired.

In modern capitalist society, the very biggest thieves and parasites are often looked at by most of society as being great and good men.

It is sobering to reflect that most of us, if we think enough about it, may have our price.

So a good person is a relative concept.

We do a weekly shop every Wednesday. For some reason in mid-week the queues are much shorter. Probably due to those in the habit of going shopping every weekend getting mixed in with those essential working folk that have to shop at weekends.

Most stuff is back onstream now, apart from flour; no flour in Aldi, none in Waitrose, tiny 500g bags in a couple of other places, but only white self-raising, of course.

(Waitrose is a bit dear on most things, but they do a nice wholemeal loaf baked on the premises, if you get there before about 10 am....)