Posts by oldkeith

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

The government of the UK has no powers to alter or change any part of either the Geneva Convention or the Declaration of Human Rights, so could not legally do so.

However, if in some way the USA set a precedent by sidelining the above (which it has arguably done in the past, over its treatment of prisoners of war), then if Boris is far up Donald's nether regions, and those of big pharma, the government here would have a precedent to point to, however poor such an argument would logically be.

This would be a situation in which the human rights movements would get involved, and if facing as well a united political opposition, could bring down the government. Considering the deaths over the past winter here have not surpassed those of previous recent winters, the present government would not be in a good position to argue a national emergency, as no more than might be considered usual have died.

The Geneva Convention, to which the UK is party, forbids any medical experimentation on a human being without their consent. This was originally made for persons involved in war, but by extension of the Declaration of Human Rights, would now cover all humans.

Therefore, we have to look at how much and how well, and for how long, a vaccine (for example) has been tested before we can decide whether it has successfully passed the experimental stage.

If such vaccines or other medicines are not properly tested before being given to the public, the humans being vaccinated are part of an experiment, and as such, have to give consent.

Maybe I went there, after a bad accident in this lifetime, when I was much younger.

Lovely, almost godlike people, compassionate, I didn't want to leave...

Woke up with the ambulance medics slapping my face trying to bring me round before they took me to hospital.

26C here in the east midlands, in the shade. Did the weekly shop early before it got hot.

Only did a bit of nice easy work in the garden today, putting my renovated (painted!) black iron table and chair set together, which someone had thrown out yonks ago and my missus found and dragged back. With the lockdown it reappeared from some dark corner, and is now ready to be sat at in the shade, with a pot of tea; or even a bottle of something if the hot weather continues....:)

I think China could certainly create an Asian bloc, as you say. But it would only be after either invasion or economic subjugation of the surrounding countries. Japan would be a thorn in its side, of course. And it would have to think carefully about Australia....

I have no faith in rich men.

'Show me a rich man, and I'll show you a thief' A mate of mine used to say.:reddevil:

I have met some quite pleasant rich men in the course of a lifetime, but I have never met one who thought he had enough....

But that's another topic.

After 6 years, these satellites will be powered/flown in on command, to burn up on reentry

You hope! Just like the present ones, which regularly cannot be brought down. As an ex-technician, I can assure you that if an electronic device can go wrong, once in a while it will go wrong:).

You are over-optimistic about present capabilities of hunt seek and destroy. Most cell phones cannot signal satellites without any intermediary device in between. They lack the power to do so. That is why we have masts to transmit signals to booster stations. There are many areas of the earth where a cell phone is currently useless, because there are no masts within its transmission distance. Much depends on local geography, too. Even down the hill in Dovedale you can have difficulty getting a signal in and out, and that is in the middle of a densely-populated country. An area I visit in Norfolk often has similar difficulties.

When these satellites are in place, such dead areas will no longer exist, and the whole earth will be covered, for better or worse, depending on who or what is running the operations.

But a 6-year life expectancy means an even quicker replacement cycle, so more and more junk thrust into orbit, more and more space debris, and a much higher risk of accidents from junk as it burns in. And as for one country, logically all these satellites should be in stationary orbit locked over the USA, because that is the only country that has given permission for them. (Would the US public like that?)

Let's put the boot on the other foot for a moment:

China puts a 100,000 low-orbit satellites into the sky over a five-year period. Despite protests from other countries and their scientists. Are we happy with that?

The aim, apart from the obvious one of making money from a communications system, is to be able to trace and pinpoint any dissidents of Chinese origin anywhere in the world, and if thought necessary, take them out with mini-drones. There might be a few collateral casualties, but maybe not too many.

The technology already exists, but there are many places in the world it does not cover at present. Such a satellite system would give it full coverage.

Then perhaps we could move on from Chinese dissidents, to most anyone who expressed an opinion contrary to the powers of the day. These too could be taken care of, at a price of course, wherever they were hiding, so long as they had a vehicle, a phone, or any other electronic communications device.

Good system, huh?:reddevil:

I am not at all convinced that this plethora of low Earth orbit satellites are necessary.

You realise Musk is just in this for the money he hopes to make from these communication satellites? And perhaps a little bit of glory, or ego-massage, of course.

The point is, he has not consulted with the other countries of the world, and their scientists, before doing this. He has only got 'permission' from the Federal Communications Commission, whose authority, so far as I am aware, extends only to American territory. The Earth and the sky above, most people would say, if it belongs to anyone, belongs to everyone on Earth.

So you have one branch of (privately-funded) science, really commercial science, spoiling some of the processes of publicly-funded science, astronomy. If Musk puts 40,000 satellites up there, and Amazon puts at least 10,000 satellites up there, and various other big concerns will want their systems up there too, it is quite likely that well over a hundred thousand could be up there in a few years time. And as these first ones degenerate, others will take their place, and the dead ones, many of them, will become more space debris in low orbit. Do we really want all this junk - millions of tons of it - encircling the planet above our heads? Where is the planetary ecology in all this?

They may come a time when our grandchildren tell their grandchildren that at one time you could look at the sky from Earth, and see the stars.....:(

Perhaps you'd better take a look at the controversial Starlink project before lauding Elon Musk too much......

He has put hundreds of low Earth orbit satellites up already, without international consultation, and intends to put up over 40,000 more. Raising protests from astronomers who don't want their viewing of the night sky spoiled by such a huge number of satellites, which will eventually become space debris.....

He says he will try to reduce the glare from his satellites because of these protests, but big money talks, and he is likely to continue with his project anyway.

Do it first, and see if anyone complains later. The American way....

Hi Poet,

Welcome to the forum!

You'll find a nice lot of people here, and lots of information about many things, especially alternative living.

You will enjoy it here. Participate, have a pleasant time!

You mean they don't take their cod liver oil in Italy and Spain?

Or don't get out in the sun enough?:)

But jesting apart, from the statistics of the number of people who have died so far in this country with this coronavirus, rapidly overtaking Italy and Spain, it might appear that very many people here also do not get enough Vitamin D, if this is actually effective in helping the immune system fight the virus.

To some degree, we can see why this might be the case:

The coronavirus appears to have worst effects upon those already suffering from severe illness of one kind or another. These people would very probably already be at the disadvantage of being unlikely to be able to get out into the sunlight anyway. And if they were living in care homes it is unlikely that sufficient foods containing Vitamin D would be taken as part of the normal diet. Gone, I think, are the days when the diets of invalids were routinely boosted with cod liver oil, vitamin C, and a variety of essential B vitamins.

One cannot draw definite conclusions from this, but there is enough empirical evidence to prompt further study.

(We don't need long in the sun to get sufficient vitamin D, some average minimum of about ten minutes a day for lighter-skinned people, and some 25 minutes a day for darker-skinned people ).

Interesting times.

The problem with production capitalism is that it must have consumers in order to continue to exist and profit. So if all your workers are unpaid slaves, or very poorly-paid wage slaves, they cannot buy your products.

This problem has been avoided historically over the last couple of hundred years, by finding workers in poor countries and enslaving them, and then selling that which they produce to the citizens of countries which are more affluent.

However, it goes without saying that if all workers everywhere are enslaved to the point of being unable to buy more than the bare life essentials, then most of the products of production capitalism cannot be sold. This holds true even if many of the products are produced by machine robots.

Here we see one of the dilemmas of production capitalism: It is reliant on an expanding number of consumers. But in order to maximise profits it must have very cheap workers, or very few human workers. So where are the consumers going to come from if all workers worldwide are enslaved?

Yes, under those circumstances China would have every right to nationalise our banks, factories, investment holdings, land, etc that are on Chinese territory. There is no way we could stop them.

But China has far more holdings in the shape of everything from investments to land and companies and factories in the West, and in India and Africa, than the West has in China.

So China has far more to lose.

But as you say, it is unlikely to happen.

If any country wishes to hold China responsible for this virus they have - unwittingly or deliberately - released upon the world, they will no doubt bill China.

And if China does not pay up, what then?

Logically, such nations would immediately nationalise all China assets in such countries, be they land, companies, factories, bank deposits, banks, etc. This would go a considerable way, in many countries, towards paying the bills.

Nice to see you back aboard, tahick :wave:

This place has gone through a few changes, but it seems to be getting back to what it was, which is really good.

It's great that we are getting more young people back here too; kind of livens up the place.

Narrowboats are a great discipline on the amount of stuff you can carry! We have friends on the canals, too. They get moved on more than they used to, so do take care to look into current conditions in the area you'll be moving into.

Best wishes and stay safe:peaceman:

One of my long-lived tools is an 100mm (4") Hitachi grinder from way back in the 80's or 90's when I worked on vehicles quite a bit. A torquey little number that still has plenty of power now. I think I've only ever replaced bearings and brushes once or twice.

I have a couple of others: An old 115mm B&D I'm always trying to lose, so lend it out now and then., (But whoever borrows it always brings it back!). And a large awkward Titan job - 125mm - that roars away and gives me doubts that it has a thermal cut-out on the motor, so I don't run it for long at a time.

Plenty of sunlight recently; those who can get outside should not be short of vitamin D, even if they only expose their head and hands for an hour or so a day.

Hi Rob,:hi:

Nice to have you join us; as TT says, we are a pretty friendly crowd.

If you have a VW camper you'll love reading the van life threads, and the van conversions, and which heater is better than others, and best solar power outfits, and all that stuff, including advice on park-ups. Reams of it on here; it goes back years.

Oh, and there are a few old dogs on here that grumble and growl a bit, but generally about modern life, and how much better it was way back when... (You know the scene: "Fug the 20's, lemme get back to the 60's" sort of stuff). I guess I'm one of them at times, but we are all happy with at least some modern technology, or we wouldn't be on here:D

The Beatles are good. I have to give myself a blast now and then, old as I am. Brings back great memories of lovely people and often crazy times.

Enjoy the site, enjoy the people. As RT would say, 'Take a seat around the fire!'

:peaceman:

All too true, RT. We've had powerful old woodworking m/cs offered to our Shed for cheap or free, but the catch is 3-phase electricity. So that's just one of the reasons we are looking for an industrial unit to house the Shed in. But such units don't come cheap.

I have particular grudge about drill bits. Years back we always used Dormer drill bits in industry. (Some of them found their way back home, too...:whistle:).

Not only were they sharp, and took a long time to wear, even cutting steel plate, but they were easily sharpened up and put back on the job.

Modern drill bits are either cheap oriental steel with slightly hardened points, which are okay on wood but blunt when you show them a bit of quarter plate, or more expensive slightly more heavy-duty bits that cost a mint, again have only hardened points, and after you try to resharpen them soon blunt after a few cuts, because the hardening has gone. The old Dormers we used to resharpen until they were too short to go in the drill !

FWF has a small whiteboard by his front door on which he has written a list of who has borrowed what. It's an idea. I'm impressed, Keith, that your tools are initialled. Very impressed!

The whiteboard sounds a good idea !:thumbup:

I did start a notebook at one time, but I didn't always have it with me when someone borrowed something, and it was easy to lose the notebook, too.

I started initialing my kit when I first started at mechanical engineering and mechanic's courses; everyone was given the same sets of kit, so if you lent something out there was little chance of getting it back, and it was very easy for someone, if they were missing a spanner, to pick up someone else's and pretend it was their own.

Cold wind here all day, otherwise cloudy and sunny by turns, and dry.

Did a bit of garden furniture sanding down in the yard this afternoon, and wished I'd have put a winter sweater on.

Surely not.....:(

They are like hen's teeth around here. Not many places are open to sell them, and those that might are out of stock, and ordering them online can mean weeks of waiting, if they are not nicked in the post en route.

Besides, it's not just that I'm tight; I do like maximum recycling.

Cooler here too, but quite windy and dry.

Busy down the allotment in the afternoon, hardly a soul about. Do they take 'an hour's exercise' too literally? They should be able to stay all day from tomorrow, so long as they don't have more than one in a shed at the same time.....:)