Posts by oldkeith

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

I generally visit about once or twice every day, and use a desktop. Very occasionally if I'm away from home I use an old laptop, or someone's desktop if there is one. The idea of visiting any sites using a mobile phone or small netbook is laughable with my eyesight; I would have to squint all the time.

As Colin says above, the site is good for obtaining advice, and if any of us can help a little towards solving someone else's problem now and then, that is a bonus. I like the freedom of expression of the site, and the ambient pleasant camaraderie between people. It is one of the most friendly forums I have come across which, being a 'Hippy' forum, it naturally should be.

As regards the layout of the site, I find it a bit rambling, but that is also one of it's joys - you can come upon unsuspected gems of information in almost any thread. I invariably spend more time looking around than I should, even if I haven't logged in and am only lurking.
    The 'Hippy' world is very diverse, so it must be difficult to cater for pretty well every aspect of that diversity. Maintaining a site like this I think would be almost a full-time occupation; certainly very time-consuming.

As for what else I personally would like to see, perhaps some form of local contacts or groups in given areas might be useful, like totally unrelated forums sometimes have. But this does raise the question about if you meet like-minded people locally, do you then tend to neglect the site, because you have found new local friends? Comments welcome about this one.

I quite like the site as it is, but making it more modular might mean less time on maintenance.

As most people in the poll (so far) seem to use desktops instead of expensive mobile devices, perhaps there are good socio-economic reasons for this*. (I can pick up a decent s/h desktop online for around £50 to £100, plus carriage if it's too far to pick up. It should last, with care, maybe 5 or 6 years for what I want it for. Price that against any new mobile device).
    *This means, in plain language, that maybe a lot of us, like me, don't have a lot of bread to flash around).

I've worn a full curly woolly beard since the 1970's, mainly because it feels a natural thing to do. Her Ladyship likes beards and long hair on men too, so I guess that is pretty important also. I never let the beard grow so long it gets a nuisance, maybe it's around two or three inches in Winter, and gets trimmed back a little in the warmer weather.
    A friend of mine has two plaits in his longish beard, so when he combs it out he looks like Erik Forkbeard!

I congratulate you on your well thought out comment, its interesting to chat with someone on the same wavelength as myself. I have done a lot of reading in the past and there are certainly conspiracies in abundance. I also think theres still a lot yet to be discovered about Earths past. I watched with interest a program about what would happen if Humans suddenly disappeared overnight and that after a couple of thousand years or so, literally every speck of what we were, our technology would basically rot away. Who is to say that Dinosaurs didnt reach a similar level, maybe greater level of intelligence/civilization than our own and that some disaster extinguished them and that all traces of their existence has now rotted away. We could go on analysing and discovering, some people even believe we are being controlled by Reptilians. I find the unknown fascinating and i look forward to some interesting discoveries regarding the exo-planets now being discovered, I really hope they find something, its not nice being all alone.

Thank you for your kind comments. It is indeed interesting for me to be able to discourse with somebody not only widely-read, but also able to explain views and ideas clearly. While there are many fine intellects on these forums, I sometimes feel that some have short attention spans, or are perhaps for reasons of being involved in many things, unable to give more than passing attention to whatever subject they are discussing. Often, a mere line or two of comment suffices them, and they must turn to something else.

It is good to share ideas, make of them what we can. As you say, if humankind vanished, little would be left after a few thousand years. If we humans disappeared as a species overnight, the only thing that would last after all the buildings and stone monuments were gone, over thousands of years, would be the stores of radioactive materials we have made in various places. These would continue to break down very slowly, leaving an interesting signature for any alien beings that happened to visit. One can imagine such beings would deduce that some form of intelligence had once existed here; or passing by, had left dumps of radioactive materials. But with time, perhaps a few hundred thousand years, even these would completely decay.

Personally I have always found it odd that we have been here as humans of some kind for at least 2 million years, but our recorded history barely spans 6,000 years. Whether this is due to widespread religious destruction of ancient records near to our own time, such as the burning of the Library of Alexandria, or some earlier natural catastrophe like widespread flooding at the end of the last glacial period, is as yet unknown.

You are probably right about the Earth and life on it being unique, in so far as its own life forms are concerned. Much as early explorers found their own country was unique in our world, when they found other far countries differed widely from their own. Perhaps the human form, as such, is unique.

But any interstellar life forms that operate at a physical level will likely need to have some factors in common with ourselves. Quite apart from intelligence, they would need to have the aptitude to want to learn, to investigate new things, and they would need a physical body that would be capable of building things and making things that were not essential to their existence. (A bird can build a nest, ants can build an ant-hill colony, but these are essentials to the future of birds and ants).

They would need some kind of hands, for example. Or maybe tentacles, at a pinch. To measure, and make tools, to build things, to gauge that things were correctly fitted together. So in this they might bear some resemblance to ourselves. They might have some kind of humanoid form, although this is probably not essential.

It has apparently only taken us about 2 million years to evolve to reach our present standard of intelligence and innovation, if evolution is basically correct. We may be unique in this. The dinosaurs were here some 165 million years but although they evolved into many forms, they did not, so far as we know, attain creative intelligence.

We have destroyed many kinds of life here, in many lands, since we became the predominant life form. Right back to classic ancient times, and maybe before that. We have created some of the deserts in the world. Flora and fauna come and go, and we too will pass eventually, if we continue to be unsuccessful stewards of the planet. The planet itself will endure, I have no doubt, barring an immense catastrophe.

So far as aliens are thought about, the subject covers a vast range of ideas, beliefs, and curious thinking. I like to look into it, in small doses, and draw my own tentative conclusions. Like every area of fringe thinking, it attracts a great many con artists as well as genuine investigators. It attracts many - often different - conspiracy theories, none of which can be conclusively proven.
    It is an interesting subject, but one that raises a great deal of ridicule amongst people, many of whom may wish, consciously or unconsciously, that it did not exist.

I'd agree it's a more critical thing, the state of your batteries in a van, even than in a boat. In a boat you can find places to moor awhile and top up the batteries from the 240v mains, if necessary. (Or run that smoky diesel for hours on end, cough, cough!).

4dscumpunx, have you thought about getting some LED lighting? We use LED strips in some areas, like over work surfaces, and the wattage is very low, and the light level good.

Aint no such things as Aliens on Earth, the nearest star is too far away. In all likelihood other civilizations exist, but the Universe is too young for any civilization to have begun building ships to travel to other star systems and planets....who knows in the fullness of time, but these conspiracy theories are rantings by nut cases....

Not so. The Universe has been in existence for long enough for a myriad races to have evolved to build starships or other forms of transportation, and to have explored their own closest stars, even their own galaxies. We came fairly recently into the time stream, we are new arrivals. The mystery is that we do not see more of them.
    But Carl Sagan and other scientists have explained this quite logically, in that any civilisation where technological advances outstrip ethics may find itself engaging in wars of its own making, and subsequently destroy itself, before it has attained interstellar travel. Then life has to begin the long climb back, and that will not always result in the reappearance of intelligence.
    So out of many beings who evolve into some form of intelligence like ourselves, only a few will ever make it to the stars. If that is so, perhaps it is a good thing, a natural check on beings of our own warlike nature wandering the spaceways.

All good and accurate stuff, but it doesn't answer the question:
    "How do you think we managed in the old days, with analogue meters that were accurate to only +/- 0.5v or less?:)"

How we managed was that we generally only used the voltmeter as an indication of charge rate, and only as a rough indication of the state of charge in the battery.
    A quick check of voltage was just a first test, but as you point out, it can be a very inaccurate indicator of the general state of charge of the battery itself.
    In practical terms, anything below 50 or 40% charge can be regarded as a discharged battery, as it then needs to be charged for its own good, as well as supporting anything else. So we would figure anything below 12v as suspicious, and needing charging or further investigation.
    In those days batteries could be checked for fluid levels and state of charge with an hydrometer, something that cannot often be done now with 'maintenance free' batteries, unless you start doing a bit of butchering. So the hydrometer gave a second and more accurate 'state of charge' test, and was quite good enough for most situations.

"whatever meter is used it would need to be at least as accurate as +/- 0.1v preferably better as the voltage change is small"

How do you think we managed in the old days, with analogue meters that were accurate to only +/- 0.5v or less?:)

For most people, they only need to know if the battery is being charged or discharged, and what the voltage is. Those who want to see what's happening can fit ammeters into the instrument panel, like on most boats I've worked on. These can be digital too now, so there are no large current cables going to and from the battery. I guess it's all a matter of how far you want to get involved.

Quite right Fraggle, sorry about missing that. Any inline fuse should be in the positive wire if the vehicle is negative earth, both by convention and for safety in a car or van or steel boat. The reason being that current might get shorted from the (steel) body if anything conductive, like any metal tool, was touching both the positive screw terminal and the steel bodywork at the same time. In this event, a fuse in the negative cable would do nothing at all.

If we are looking at anything more than a quick fix here though, the positive wire should come out to its terminal from a permanent live in the fuse box, with a 1A fuse installed in that slot. And going a bit further, really it would be best to use a voltmeter mounted in an instrument panel, as Popup suggested above. Digital or analogue, depending on your taste.

Quite correct, but let's also mention that the thinner the cable or wire used, the more resistance this puts into the circuit. Also of course the load on the circuit has to be taken into account. Lighting an LED through a thin wire will not result in much volt drop over a given short distance, but trying to pull several amps through the same thin wire will result in a much greater volt drop. In extreme examples the wire will heat up and burn out if there is no fuse in the circuit.

You cannot get arcing in the battery compartment if both wires are firmly fixed to the battery. 12 volts or for that matter 24 volts cannot arc across any air space: the voltage is far too low. Think of an arc welder, you have to touch the rod to the surface to establish an arc before you draw it away; it cannot jump the air gap on its own unless a high voltage is present.

I would agree the gadgets are very useful, but do they have to be close to the battery, or can they be rigged up remotely? Remember the Op said that he had to move a lot of stuff to actually get to the battery access:
    "I currently just use a multi meter but sadly have to remove most of my wardrobe to get into the access panel to do so,"

Yes, there can be no harm in speculation and investigation of these things, that is in our nature, I think. It is only when such speculations become formulated into religions and other rigid belief philosophies that harm occurs, with adherents of one group believing they are superior to all others.

While we are here, we probably will never know what happens after death. And if there is nothing after, we will never know.
    But if we move on, and in some form occupy other realms, whether it is as individual entities or part of something greater, we will know then, because we will be part of it.

Many years ago, a good friend of mine was moving away, and we knew we should probably not see each other again. We both had an interest in these things, so we made a pact that, if any kind of consciousness survived death, whichever of us should die first would try to briefly visit the other, in order to verify survival. As I get older I think of this occasionally....

As NFA says, cheapest fix is take two insulated wires from the battery leads. You could terminate them under a couple of screws in a small wooden plate or batten. Put a plastic cover over if you are afraid of accidentally shorting them. Even easier is to use a small connector block to terminate the connection, and screw it to any convenient surface. All you need to do to check the battery is to put the multimeter probes on the screws anytime you want.
    If you are a belt and braces man (like me) you can put a line fuse of 1 amp or less in one of the wires; this will blow if there is any accidental short.

Yes, it looks like they are getting prepared again, just as they did in Thatcher's day.
    But what is being done now by IDS and the DWP and their associates is worse than in Thatcher's time. In her day, there were some in government who stayed her arm. Now, we have what might be termed thinly-veiled fascism in operation at several levels.
    But if those who govern get a busy summer on the streets, it may lose them the next election, quite apart from stirring international concern.

I think maybe you are a little confused because you have taken readings right after a run in daytime, with the alternator charging the batteries. It is quite normal to see a charge of up to 13.5v under these circumstances, as the alternator is often charging at anywhere between 13 and 14v. It has to do this this to 'push' the power into the battery. The battery level will gradually drop to around 12.6v and should stabilise at that if the battery is in good condition.
    If you then use the battery much the voltage will gradually drop, as indicated in the table.
    If battery voltage drops suddenly to 10v, it generally means a dud cell in one of the batteries. This is unlikely, but does happen occasionally. You can only exchange the battery for a good one.
    Over time, usage, or people mistreating them by completely discharging them, like BM points out above, the batteries will lose their ability to retain charge. So they only charge to 50%, or only 25%, or worse. You find this out on frosty mornings, when even a fully-charged battery can have lost up to 50% of its charge overnight. So one that only charges to 50% or less has had it, even though such a battery can coast along through the Summer as if there is nothing wrong with it.

As a matter of interest it would not be possible for everyone to take all of their cash out of the banks. As soon as it was noticed there was a run on the banks the government of the day would take steps to freeze accounts, allowing everyone to take out maybe a maximum of perhaps a £100 a week, until things quietened down again. They did this back in 1929, and they have been ready to do it at the start of every financial crash ever since. It's standard government financial procedure, not just here, but pretty well everywhere.
    As already said, the money itself doesn't really exist, it's just a lot of paper promises. Even if we were allowed to take all our cash out, only around the first ten percent of us would actually get anything. The rest of it doesn't exist, unless they started printing it out a lot more quickly, of course. If they did that it would lose its value; you'd be taking your wages home in a wheelbarrow, like they were doing in Germany in the 1920's. Roaring inflation, it would cost £10 for a box of matches, etc.

Great stuff, Guys! Makes you feel happy just watching those folks. Wonderful to see what can be done with stuff that is thrown away. Nice to think there are places where you can get to building that kind of thing, and nobody is coming with a bulldozer to stop you.
    Thanks for sharing.

A good summary there, Box. After watching your last video I found there is a plethora of information (and probably misinformation) about this topic on YouTube, amongst other places. It kind of astonished me because it is something I have been away from for many years.

Way back in the 60's and 70's information of any kind about UFOs was a lot more difficult to come by, apart from reports in books written years afterwards. There were plenty of weird books and theories, but we tended to be a little sceptical.

Back then I joined a local UFO research group, and we were given a little training in interviewing people by one of our members who was a journalist, and we interviewed folks in our locality who had reported UFOs, either to us or to the local media. Reports were sent to the Cambridge University UFO research group, an unofficial student body.
    No Internet then, so things moved pretty slowly, and it might be a week or so after an event that we got to know about it, and maybe two weeks before we could get a weekend day free to go visit somebody. A couple of hairy hippies arriving on a battered motorbike wasn't always the best introduction to people living in the sticks, but most folks were good enough to set us down with a cup of tea while they told us their story. Although we found a few nutters, most folks were straightforward people who just felt somebody higher up the scale ought to know about it. Many of the older people had been through WW2 and felt our government wasn't taking UFO reports seriously. We took folks' stories down as they told them, apart from clarifying relevant items. We had forms of Q&A prepared by Cambridge, so most things got covered. It was interesting, but small-time stuff.

After a few years I kind of dropped out of it; it was one of those mysteries you felt you weren't getting any closer to. The UFO lectures I attended were quite a lot of hot air, with a few bright ideas mixed in, but not many boots on the ground. Spirituality started getting into some parts of the UFO scene too, and I'm not a highly spiritual person, as you might have guessed by some of my ramblings on here. Gradually my UFO interest waned away.

As Dr Greer said, it is a huge subject affecting most of the fundamentals on which our present-day society is based, especially the non-scientific ones.
    Science should be able to expand to take in new information and work with it, so long as it isn't shackled by commercial interests, but some established control concepts, such as some political philosophies, and some religions, may be unable or unwilling to do that. So if any information is officially released, I would expect it to be generously doctored and drip-fed over a period of years, with the same kind of people we have in charge now trying desperately to stay in control.

Your 8-part (!) video was great, very thought-provoking too, boxvan.
    Seems like whatever subject gets looked into ends up with money and corporate greed being responsible for secrecy, whether it's UFOs, or 'defence' spending, or pharmaceuticals, or our food, or the state of our housing.

I guess we need a few aliens like Overlord Karallen in 'Childhood's End', Arthur C. Clarke's famous novel about a benign alien invasion.

What that Canadian former Defence Minister was saying was pretty much the same line as what we were hearing from the 'Space Brother' cults way back in the 1970's: That war and greed will destroy humanity if the people in charge do not have more respect for the planet and the rest of humankind. Sadly the world situation hasn't improved since then; if anything, it's gotten worse.

Whether the guy is shooting a line or whether he really knows something of what is going on is debatable, but his ideas are in the right place.

An idea put forward by the scientist Carl Sagan and others was that every intelligent technically-evolved planetary society went through a period of great danger to themselves, when their technology outgrew their morality, if you like, and during this period the chances of them destroying themselves were very high.

Whether by planetary destructive war, or by systematic degradation of their planetary ecosphere, out-stripping their resources, etc, or a deadly combination of these things. Those who didn't make it - the great majority - went back to swinging in the trees and hunting animals with rocks again (Or whatever the alien equivalent was), and if they were lucky might get a slim chance at climbing back again, until they repeated their error.

This was maybe the reason that there aren't myriads of alien races flitting around the galaxy visiting us, and each other. A lot of them started out on the evolutionary journey to the stars, but not many made it.

Fully agree with AW and Mayfly. You just got to filter it through your own head and your own reasoning. There are plenty Indy web sites as well as the usual big propaganda ones; we're not stuck for choice - yet.

We don't have a tv at home, so we miss the usual crap, but it's quite an eye-opener when we visit with someone who has it turned on most of the waking hours - "You, like, sit and watch this garbage all day?"

Seems like some folks can't even switch it off when you visit them; they kind of reply slowly, intent on that imposing 42" screen. I wonder is it kind of dominating them?

In all the untold billions of years that this present universe has been in existence, the life in it has evolved patterns of dealing with pretty much anything that happens, ranging from the very simple to the very complex. So it logically follows that it has had a long time and much experience of dealing with the energy charges of life-forms that have died. These too will follow a natural process, there can be no alternative.
    So no beliefs, no religions, no particular philosophical ideas, can have any effect on this natural process. It just is. Quite what form the process takes, we can only surmise.
    Perhaps when we die here, our consciousness is going home.