Posts by misana

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

This government is only following standard Conservative policy, which we were all warned would be the case. Cut public spending , reduce higher end direct taxation, increase VAT ( manifesto pledge not to) and speed up the process of privatisation by stealth.
    They were provided with a springboard by the previous Labour government, which had reteated so far from it's core values that it was ideologically indistinguishable from its opponents. People only vote for a change of management now, and the winner is almost guaranteed to be the party which best manages the media circus .
    Cameron has built a comfort zone by surrounding himself with other old Etonians and similar, who are genetically incapable of considering the situation of anyone outside of their class. It is said that Osborne was kept away from campaigning because he is uncomfortable in the presence of "oiks".
    I would expect the upwards redistribution of wealth to continue until we all find the collective will to stop it.

I've been outstandingly grumpy about all the Christmas stuff being in the shops from early September, but now it's mid November that has lost it's edge. I might ask the manager in the co-op if he can put the Easter eggs out before 1st. January so I can moan about it.

I grew up in rural England, Misana, and I'm sure you are right, that not much has changed over the last 50 years or so. I just feel, on the odd visit back to see family, that there is less of a community spirit, and a much more pronounced reluctance to welcome outsiders.
    We have been made more than welcome by our neighbours and their generosity has been amazing - if there's ever a problem in the hamlet, there's always someone willing to help out. I guess that's what I've always liked about the hippy community, too.
    I'm glad that you seem to have been untouched by any of the recent problems, and long may it remain so :)

Hello again. I've just read my last post again and it sounds grumpy - sorry,unintentional. :) I grew up in east London and have strong feelings regarding social and economic deprivation, particularly with regard to the growing inequalities of wealth distribution,
    and tend to see everything in those terms.It is true that we are going through a process of social change which has created an atmosphere of distrust, and even open hostility between people, which I find disturbing too.I am lucky to live where I do in relative peace and quiet.
    I like your picture by the way.

Passive resistance and raising awareness, with some carefully worded penetrating questions to ask the London elite. All of the people who are giving their time to be there have my respect. I hope to get down there to help in some small way.

SD - I think that's one of the things I love about living in rural France. It's just like England was when I was a slip of a girl.

I live in rural England and could make similar observations. Urban centres always reflect social and economic change far more noticeably. The nearest we get to a riot is four or five kids assembled outside the co-op in pale imitation of their urban counterparts ,and they would run a mile if anything really happened to disturb the peace of the rural idyll

I drank alcoholically from the age of about 14 until six years ago, when I was so completely fucked up I just couldn't do it any more.
    I had all the classic addict symptoms : denial,dishonesty,deceit,manipulation,self obsession,self loathing,extreme anxiety etc. but steadfastly refused to give up the alcohol dependency that gave me the only version of reality that I could cope with.

My g.p. was very good, unfortunately many don't want to help.He put me on a course of valium for three months starting with a high dose and gradually decreasing to nothing, and made it clear that if I abused the drug the treatment would stop.I'm looking back on all this now with the clarity of hindsight, but at the time I was very confused. The valium helped a lot with the physical withdrawal but,of course,did nothing to prepare me mentally for living sober. I had sixteen weeks counselling with a government funded agency but otherwise got no help after my gp's treatment.I became what AA describe as "dry drunk" - that is the underlying cause of my addiction was not addressed and my mental state remained the same, but without my self prescribed medication (alcohol).I returned to my gp and was given anti depressants, and although I didn't mind taking them, they did little to help.
    After four years I was sober, but just as fucked up as before. I took an overdose and was admitted to a psychiatric hospital, which was where I was introduced to AA, and started to get better.

The reason I told my story is to illustrate the point that for most people doing it by yourself is too hard. Stopping drinking is really quite easy, it's staying stopped that is difficult. AA provides peer group support,a number of people making friends and discussing common problems. I go to two meetings a week and make it clear that I do not wish to follow the step programme or any of the religious/spiritual aspects of the organisation, because I actively disagree with them, but I do respect the right of others to follow them if they wish to. AA is a deeply flawed organisation that needs a thorough overhaul, but it does work if you make a space inside it to be yourself.The character of different groups varies enormously and it's a good idea to try a selection until you find one that suits you. I normally suggest to new people that initially you just listen, and politely decline if you are asked to speak.Alcoholics tend to be poor listeners, and it is quite enlightening to listen and understand.

I am still growing and learning, but I feel better now than I have done for a long time. I am happy to help. Please send a private message if you want to.

And what if I was eating leather shoes? :ppp[/QUOTE]

Charlie Chaplin ate a leather boot in one of his films ; a clear modernist pre post modern anarcho syndicalist neo-vegan statement
    particularly relevant to the looming peak oil crisis. I hope that clears things up. :weed:

Same as it ever was. They consider they pay "enough" tax therefore avoidance is justifiable, and we no longer have the collective will to disagree. Corporate tax avoidance in third world countries sometimes exceeds the amount the countries are given in aid.
    Osborne has been negotiating in Switzerland with some of them, to make an agreement where they will pay something at a lower rate.
    For big corporations, and the individuals that control them, taxation is optional and will remain that way until the electorates of the western democracies are motivated to force change.

There seems to be a general sense of unease in Babylon now which I have never been aware of before. I think people are beginning to feel intuitively that the way we live now is not sustainable. Against a background of huge debt and the contemptuous greed of the wealthy minority, ordinary people are running ever faster in order to stand still .
    Industrialism has created unprecedented wealth but,as always, it is unfairly distributed and has led to the culture of consumption for its own sake.
    I don't know what the long term answer is, but I think the more people who can free their minds and vote with their feet, the greater the chances will be of finding one.
    Good luck to you.

The term anarchist is used generically, to describe anyone who dares to suggest there might be a better way of doing things, and has little real meaning to most people. The vocabulary of bigotry.

Not in the woods.

You could make forays out of the woods,gather up the congealed chow mein and soggy big macs, and dive back in again like a thoroughly modern feral creature. If you kept it up for long enough Cormac McCarthy would base a novel on you.