Posts by CelticShaylee

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

I hope you are not planning to live in it , if you are then tax is gonna be the least of your problems....as a day/weekend or festival abode yes but a tad small for full time , so i would suggest that electricity wise you could be as well off with a decent leisure battery or 2 and a split charger as you dont have a lot of roof space for panels , if you do decide on panels then 'bimble solar' are highly recommended by a lot of peeps and have a very helpful website , but dont expect to be running hair straighteners etc off them :)

She's not for full-timing, just weekends :) and nope, won't be running any hair styling products off them lol :D

Hey people :D
    I finally got me a bus, a 2004 Renault Trafic disabled passenger bus. I've taken the back seats and ramp out at the weekend and have planned my layout, but last night I was lying in bed at midnight panicking and now I've got a few wee questions for you knowledgeable bunch.

It's currently registered as a panel van (despite having windows and seats, oddly) and I originally wasn't going to reregister as a motorhome (or not yet anyway) due to not planning on installing a fixed table and chairs etc (seems a bit unnecessary when it's just little old me) and I'm a bit scared of doing electrics/gas hobs/plumbing myself so was going to just have bed and units and battery operated LED lighting with a camp stove for just now until I worked my stuff out.
    My question about this is; if my bus is still registered as a van, do I need campervan insurance? (Can I even get campervan insurance with a nonregistered conversion?) Will my van insurance void my policy if I have a semi converted camper in the back? I don't know which type of insurance I should have.

My next question is; it's currently taxed as a Disabled Passenger Vehicle (despite being registered as a panel van, which is another confusing bit.) Happily this makes it tax exempt! But I get the feeling if the cops pull me over and there's not a ramp in the back I'll get in sh*t. So I'm guessing I should get this changed ASAP?

Question No.3! I'm looking at solar panels for it in the last hour and I am lost. I tried reading up on someone's blog, a "quick explanation" and I think my face has melted. I had a decent grip on what they were saying until they started talking about the panels not getting the full amount of energy and it not getting to the battery because it was the wrong type (like a 12v battery is actually a 14v but you lose some watts because of something etc etc) I'm not full timing in the bus, just weekends, so how big a solar panel do I need? I was looking at a 100watt one on eBay... and how complicated are they to rig up? It would probably just be for LED lighting and maybe a microwave.

Sorry for the tons of questions, I've been reading on here for years but I've just realised I'm in the deep end LOL.

Hey people :D
    I finally got me a bus, a 2004 Renault Trafic disabled passenger bus. I've taken the back seats and ramp out at the weekend and have planned my layout, but last night I was lying in bed at midnight panicking and now I've got a few wee questions for you knowledgeable bunch.

It's currently registered as a panel van (despite having windows and seats, oddly) and I originally wasn't going to reregister as a motorhome (or not yet anyway) due to not planning on installing a fixed table and chairs etc (seems a bit unnecessary when it's just little old me) and I'm a bit scared of doing electrics/gas hobs/plumbing myself so was going to just have bed and units and battery operated LED lighting with a camp stove for just now until I worked my stuff out.
    My question about this is; if my bus is still registered as a van, do I need campervan insurance? (Can I even get campervan insurance with a nonregistered conversion?) Will my van insurance void my policy if I have a semi converted camper in the back? I don't know which type of insurance I should have.

My next question is; it's currently taxed as a Disabled Passenger Vehicle (despite being registered as a panel van, which is another confusing bit.) Happily this makes it tax exempt! But I get the feeling if the cops pull me over and there's not a ramp in the back I'll get in sh*t. So I'm guessing I should get this changed ASAP?

Question No.3! I'm looking at solar panels for it in the last hour and I am lost. I tried reading up on someone's blog, a "quick explanation" and I think my face has melted. I had a decent grip on what they were saying until they started talking about the panels not getting the full amount of energy and it not getting to the battery because it was the wrong type (like a 12v battery is actually a 14v but you lose some watts because of something etc etc) I'm not full timing in the bus, just weekends, so how big a solar panel do I need? I was looking at a 100watt one on eBay... and how complicated are they to rig up? It would probably just be for LED lighting and maybe a microwave.

Sorry for the tons of questions, I've been reading on here for years but I've just realised I'm in the deep end LOL.

Thanks for the advice, Lonesomestranger. To clarify, the bit in the tape deck I'm touching is the bits that go in the holes on the cassette, (that turn the inside of the cassette round to get the tape moving.) My thoughts on this were; if it stops moving around when I put a little pressure on it, it must surely be the elastic bands (or DRIVEBELTS as I now know they are called :D ) that have become slack and when I put my finger on it it doesn't have the tension to keep turning the wheels, hence the tape cannot play. Am I right?

Hi Ecobob, the wheels in the cassette slot turn ok if nothing is in contact with them, eg. no tape is in. If you have the door open and press Play, the wheel turns but if you touch it lightly it immediately stops (causing me to think slack band). It does make a whirring noise when Play/FF/RW is pressed though. The record player again makes a noise when the arm is moved over onto where the record is placed, but nothing is turning. I can see the band underneath it hasn't snapped but unsure if that has stretched/become slack.

So I picked up an old hifi off Freecycle, with the intention of playing my parents' old cassettes and records and picking up some off eBay. Got it home, and the tape deck and record player don't work.

Firstly, the tape deck. It's a double tape deck and both of them will (sometimes) turn, and make whirry noises, but as soon as you put a tape in or have it open and touch it, it stops. Both of them are the same. Suggestions I've had are that the elastic bands are possibly stretched, or a problem with the motor?

It's a similar story with the record player, you bring the arm over to the turntable, you can hear noises coming from it but no turning. I've gently lifted up the turntable and the band is intact so I'm not sure on this one, but I get the feeling that whatever it is, it's probably the same problem with both of them.

Anyone got any ideas? If it's an easy enough job I'd probably give it a go myself, but it's encased in a wooden frame so I'm reluctant to take apart the frame and then mess up the whole job.

(The radio works fine :D )

I was five years old, in Primary One in school, and we learned where meat came from. That was it. I wasn't eating another living being! What right did we have to kill them? My family didn't know any other veggies, I didn't know vegetarianism even existed at that age, I just told my mum I wasn't eating meat anymore, and she said "Well, you'll be a vegetarian." And I have been since, 24 now :D

I'm in the process of a clearout, put all of my clothes into piles and have stuff for eBay and stuff for charity shop, and have started making jumpers into cat beds :D
    I also have boxes of things in progress; Give Away, Mum's Stuff etc. :) and I've organised my rubbish into Recyclable, Burnable, Compostable and Rubbish. Feeling pretty organised! :angel:

When I moved into my own place I bought a TV licence, naturally, because the TV is on constantly at my mums (literally 24 hours, I think my mum just likes the noise) but firstly, the aerial cable at my new house just had a bit of wire poking out the end of it, so you had to duct tape it to the TV to try to pick up SOME channels, secondly, I rarely turned it on, and during the run up to the Scottish referendum I got so fed up with the media bias from BBC and STV that the only thing I watched in September was an all nighter to watch the voting results come in. I cancelled my licence on the 20th of September, best thing I've done in the house. It was a waste of money and time. I had a fight to get a refund on my licence (a lot of Scots cancelled their licences so they were fighting hard to keep as much money as possible) they tried to twist my words on my declaration to say I was still watching TV. A sharply worded email and a statement denying their implied right of access and I got a cheque in the post and haven't heard from them since :D

So sorry to hear this Sensi, it must be very difficult having nobody to talk it through with in person. If you go to your doctor and ask to see a counsellor they should refer you and you will have someone there to let it all out with...big hugs

I was in Edinburgh today, I tried to get some pictures of the castle but they were too dark :(
    Got another picture though, but can't figure out how to upload it on my phone!

There's a lot of dog theft going on in the UK recently, one thing they're doing in Scotland (even if you don't live here, keep an eye out) is putting a red square sticker on a garden gate, house wall or fence. This is a house marked for the dog to be stolen. It will be used as a bait dog sadly.

Sorry to hear he's still not good. Folk in the ward tend to smoke a lot anyway, there's not a whole lot to do in there so it becomes a bit of a hobby. Sending love and hugs and you look after yourself xxx

There's several reasons why Scotland is a good place to reintroduce wolves. There's actually been talk of doing it in the near future. Scotland is mostly forests and mountains, and also its where wolves were last found in the UK, because of that. The problem is, there's loads of farmland (even the mountains have Scottish Blackface sheep on them) and I doubt there would be reimbursement for farmers who would inevitably lose their livestock.