Posts by moonpup

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

This festival will be great.. was planning on going to this one myself but will be out the country.. the photos of the festival last year looked great.... Right up in the mountains of scotland with forests and all sorts around :D

Not sure if there is such a thing called a perfect job, I have the best job in the world in my opinion, I work as an Activity Instructor. This entails living in wales, lake district, south of france, italy etc. I teach kids mountain climbing, rock climbing, abseling, canoeing, kayaking, bushcraft skills, archery, fencing, gorge scrambling, caving, sailing, dragon boating etc. Its a great job because you get to work with kids, you live in the most amazing areas while working with mountains, forests, lakes etc. You can also do cool outdoor stuff during work and on your own time (like the stuff i mentioned earlier)....

Of course the living situation and pay sucks on the flip side, pay is really bad, you can not raise a family if you wanted while working for these companies (because you usually live on the centre), long working hours etc.

So yeah not all jobs are perfect in one way or another......

Best place is Cambrian mounains in wales, such a magical place and great place to get away with parties.............. been to many around there....

I could be at a party right now in a forest if only i could get a lift :curse:

ggggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I wish I'd seen this a couple of weeks ago!
    Went to Hadrians wall / Hardknott Fort wildcamping with my son last year and we both loved it, especially at the Roman army museum where we went to a talk from a Tungrian Auxiliary and learnt so much. Will definitely be heading back soon. Guess I'll just have to watch it instead

They gonna film it and release the video on the web site.......

Working hours depend on what the job is.. I do home care.. So I tell the company I work for my availability and they give me work in those hours. If you can work eveings and weekends they will love you forever.

I was looking at home care, and the advert says various shifts, so I thought they decided what times you are supposed to work not the other way round.....

That would work out great for me if thats the case..

Thanks for the info peeps... all really good stuff....

There is one thing you could help me with, what type of working hours do you guys do?? Its really hard to make out from job adverts...

I am not particulary fond of very early mornings or night work, one place said starting time of 7 AM :eek:...

But day times, afternoons, evenings, weekend work dont bother me at all....

but it certainly does help to do an NVQ if you get the chance, partly cos of the slightly higher wage

How long do the NVQs take to do?? I know you have to go to college part-time to do them while working... how long would an NVQ level 2 take on average?? That seems to be the one companies are offering.

Starting pay is not great but there are loads of qualifications and skills you can do to bump it up a bit.

How is the pay in this industry once you got an NVQ?? A heard a few people say its really bad, but then on some web sites the money seems ok....

I dont mind starting on a low wage, I will not be into it because of money, but it would be nice to know there is progression to bigger things in the future, in case I have a family, kids, bills, house etc..

Not sure where I am gonna go and see it.. for the people on the forum who are not working during the event, are you going to see the illumintaion at the official events with the viewpoints?? or do you reckon its gonna be better to go up on the wall/trail itself to see it and hang out???

To me there is no one definition of spirituality... There are differing types which depend person to person... To me its a state which takes you to a higher level beyond our normal existence.

My way of spirituality is through beauty in nature.. mountains, oceans, stars, skies, forests etc...... well that and some nice fluffy ambient music......

as for the ickiness...i had some of the worst kind of experiences you can possibly imagine, and the job was still worth it. you develop a stomach lined with lead, to the point that i could be eating my dinner when a child would vomit, so i'd hold their head up, clean up, go straight back to eating my dinner and then do it all over again! i've lost a lot of that ability now, but you develop it, and fast!

Yeah, I have a friend Rebecca and she said exactley the same thing because she used to work in care, you become desensitised over time....

don't get me wrong, a lot of the job can be pretty icky and, well, stuff you'd perhaps rather not have to deal with given the choice, but overall, if you can live with the poor wages, and have the right personality and temperament to do it, it can be a great job!

yeah how do you cope with the ickyness or how did you cope when you first started.. that is one of apsect of the job I would be a bit worried about doing and one of the things that may hold me back.. nothing else.

Wages are not to bad where I live, from what I have seen so far, can, but then again I am outdoor activity instructing at present, and that is badly payed....... still the pay varies from 6.50-9.00 quid an hour in brum for social care.

I know what you mean about getting job satisfaction.. does like like a great job.

Ooh thank you hun :D

yeah good web site.. There is a section explaining the difference between social care and social work and the qualifications that are needed...

cut and paste job :)

Social workers need an honours degree to practise, as they are involved at a senior level with people who use social care services. Social workers are trained to deal with complex problems and will assess an individual's needs, offer support and advice and if necessary act as an advocate to put in place a package of care. Social care workers tend to offer more personal care, and in many cases do not require any qualifications when they start work, as they are offered on-the-job training.

As social care workers progress with their careers they have the opportunity to gain qualifications, such as NVQs, which allow them to take on more and more responsibility. In some cases, qualifications and experience gained while working in social care entitle people to go on and study for a social work degree.

Oh right, that's even more interesting then! I must admit I only looked on that 'Be The Difference' site they advertise, and on there it seemed to be a degree or nothing so I didn't look any further :rolleyes:

Maybe that was for the social work aspect of it....

Normally the companies you work for are the nightmare.

How come??

I'd be interested to see how it goes for you. I've been thinking about something like this for a while now too - I'm not sure if I can be doing with all the rules and regs, and I don't knwo if I fancy having to go back to studying for a degree! But the whole, helping young people/kids thing apeals to me. Good luck with it :)

social care work you dont need a degree because you can get on the job training...

social work, you prob will need a degree......

yeah going back to uni would put me off, i spent too many years in further eductaion already...

I was in the city yesterday, and there was an stand giving information about social care work.. I spoke to them for a while, and I am waiting for an information pack to be sent.

Is there anyone on here which works in social care who has done in the past.. I think I know of 2 forumers who work in this industry.

So is it a good job?? Any positives/negatives??? Any stories?? There seems to be loads of jobs going at present where I live all offering free training to get into the industry.

I am allways looking into new things, and this does appeal to me...