Posts by *Dick*

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

You'd think with around 70K there would be so many possibilities.... Doesn't seem so though..The system is entirely geared up to ensure to live 'inside the system'. Obstacles are put in place to prevent any escape....!

Similarly to you, I would like to live a simple alternative life, but in this country this is difficult to achieve.

Good luck with the MOT. They can be expensive, as in my case - but nothing compared to the cost of renting a house or selling your soul to a banking organisation for a mortgage.

Waves is right!! the bank have got my soul, and I hate it!!!

Smile bank is an internet bank that is a division of the Co-op. It adheres to the ethical criteria.

I banked with them for years and they were fab. Customer service has deteriorated over the last few years though..

Blimey waves, thats Steep!! big dent in the credit card........

another year of freedom though!

... quit my job, treat my friends, give some away to a nice man who plays the flute on the pavement in my city, spend a day in bed having FUN, rescue a couple of dogs and cats, finish my Reiki Degrees and open a Reiki hideaway on a donations basis

Some to the nice man who play the flute on the pavement - How wonderful.........

Hey folks, well you Nomadic types must of seen some beautiful locations on your travels.......

Whilst I've been trapped in the misery which is modern life: Job, Mortgage, responsibilities etc.......

IF you had pull up your Vehicle for the last time, where would be your perfect location? I Know, I Know, NOmadic life is all about moving about!! But just out of interest where would it be...?

:waves:I want to go totally nomadic all over the world, sleeping bag, maybe tent &/or bender as needed, get money for food if I can't just get the food by helping locals out & forejing where there aren't any communities, travel by hitching or raising money from odd jobs to get rides if need be, all being well, of course walking too.
    I did do it 2 decades ago but got seriously ill, now I'm all fixed I'm planning to get global & not stuck in the U.K, I don't intend to live on the books or in the system ever again, I hate it, I want freedom.
    Does any one else want to live like this? has any one done this? opinions appreciated, comments etc.
    Thanx, Jet. x:hippy:x

This is the kind of post that makes me Smile all over!!!

Wish I had the courage to join you......

Somewhere deep inside my core there is the same yearning to wander, and be free from all of the constraints of modern society. Good luck in your strike for FREEDOM!!!!

Good luck JET!!

*R*

The question.
    Before you embark on any path, ask the question, does this path have a heart? If the awnser is no,you will know it and then you must choose another path.The trouble is that nobody asks the question.And when a man finally realizes that he has taken a path without a heart,the path is ready to kill him.

(This quote saved my life)

Intriguing...... Care to elaborate...?? "Does this path have a heart" what does this mean to you.....?

Loving the knowledge of the RED FOX...........

The banking system is reliant on the lack of knowledge in the general population.

What is it that gives currency its value??? (even to those that have some understanding of the system) ? The answer of course is conditioning. We are all conditioned to place value against something that essentially has no value. The illusion is so complete, that we all play along, and it is this, that keeps the whole game going....

If I have a £50 note in my pocket I feel more secure than if I have a blank piece of paper in my pocket. This is because I am confident that I can exchange my note against a variety of goods and services.......This only works because we are all duped.

The essence of money is that it can be redeemed against something of REAL value.

If I decide to print money at home I would be arrested for counterfeiting and fraud.
    If the bank of england print money they call it 'Quantative easing'.....

Both are theft -

Great Post.- I agree totally. There is something happening at a very instinctive, gutteral level to more and more people.........

There is a conciousness that is becoming more and more aware that something is fundamentally wrong with the modern way of life.

Soul-less jobs, cloned towns, unsustainable Debt, the isolation of modern communities, the mass production of stuff, the conversion of human beings into 'Consumers' The dominance of corporations over human values etc............. Just empty and vacuous........

"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled."
    John K Galbraith (Canadian economist, 1908-2006)

If you're like me you've probably never asked yourself how banks 'create' money. Similarly you probably didn't realise that 'creating' money was something banks did. Well, they do.
    ~
    Everytime you take out a loan from a bank it 'creates' money. It does so by simply writing the money into existence in your account. The bank stakes little when it does this. It literally creates the money out of thin air. Yet you, who must labour to pay back the loan, plus the interest, may lose your car, your house, or whatever else it was you used to back the loan if you cannot keep up the payments.

Can it really be that simple? Yes, it really is. The common and understandable fallacy is to think that banks lend money which they already have in their possession. They don't. They create money in the form of debt. Money is debt. Indeed if there was no debt, there would be no money for anyone to spend. 'If this is news to you', the film notes, 'you are not alone'.

“The modern banking system manufactures money out of nothing. The process is perhaps the most astounding piece of sleight of hand that was ever invented...If you want to continue to be slaves of the banks and pay the cost of your own slavery, then let bankers continue to create money and control credit.”
    (Sir Josiah Stamp Director, Bank of England 1928-1941, reputed to be the 2nd richest man in Britain at the time)

All sounds very plausible, and reasonable..... And is was exactly my own opinion until I decided to look into it......

The fact is Banks DO create money out of thin air! The style of banking you describe disappeared long ago!!

If you would Really like to know more see this:

You ought to clue up on how debt is created. As soon as you put pen to paper you create the money out of thin air for the lender who then "lends" it back to you and charges you interest for the privelage of giving it back to you. The "agreement" is a promissary note that the lender lodges with the Bank of England in a "holding" account. After a period of time the bank/CC company then claims the money under Maritime Salvage Law so they get your money twice over plus interest if you decide to pay them that. Google Fractional Reserve Banking if you want to find out more;)
    Banks are legally bound NOT to lend depositors money out in the form of loans. In that case where does the money come from? From ones own signature. Its the biggest fraud out there.

Insightful - The greatest fraud ever carried out. The illusion of money.

An utterly compelling illusion nonetheless.....With real implications for all.

The end of DEBT - is the end of money. This house of cards looks more precarious everyday......

How much money does it cost to live on the road. If your needs are modest and all you want to do is travel, eat, and occasionally splash out on a new pair of underpants.

How much for a reliable vehicle of modest spec?
    How much per week to feed, fuel, and clothe yourself?
    Excluding the vehicle cost how long would 5K last?

If you have Zero practical skills - how to generate an income while travelling?

Do the majority of Nomads claim state benefits? can this be done with no-fixed-abode?
    How much are 'benefits'

Sorry for the question overload.....

So buddhists cannot choose between a turd and a sausage because that would be "all about Judgements. Liking this, loathing that. Is this better than that etc............ Its the hamster wheel of the mind...."?

The ability to choose isn't lost. Why would it? But they may 'see' the trap, and through seeing be free of being 'caught' by it....

Sorry, but that's a pile of crap.

Your Judgement is the trap that is catches all in its grasp. The mind is all about Judgements. Liking this, loathing that. Is this better than that etc............ Its the hamster wheel of the mind....

The mind wants to KNOW whether a flat screen TV is at odds with buddhist principles.....The mind can then confirm and file the decision.

Just as you decide if a statement is a 'pile of crap' or not. It is still a judgement...

Buddhism is about moving beyond this game of judgements... It is about something of an entirely different nature.

Love your picture....

Sorry, but that's a pile of crap.

Your Judgement is the trap that is catches all in its grasp. The mind is all about Judgements. Liking this, loathing that. Is this better than that etc............ Its the hamster wheel of the mind....

The mind wants to KNOW whether a flat screen TV is at odds with buddhist principles.....The mind can then confirm and file the decision.

Just as you decide if a statement is a 'pile of crap' or not. It is still a judgement...

Buddhism is about moving beyond this game of judgements... It is about something of an entirely different nature.

Love your picture....

One question:

Can you be a Buddhist and own a 60 inch TV? Or does it contradict the fundamentals of the faith?

Looking forward to some debate on this one...;)

The question itself is the thing.... Its not relevant. The opinions are the problem - Its like asking what green tastes like.

Buddhism moves beyond debate...