Posts by Ecowatcher

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

Any Beltane festivals you hippies are off to over the may bank holiday?

I usually go to avebury but alas they have set camping dates which dont work for working people like me :(

:beard:

I couldnt find any threads talking about this...

What does everyone think with Russell Brands movement? I know some of my friends on FB think he is just as bad as the government.

What does everyone think?

Thanks guys!

It was strange really... Not sure what to think or believe really. Was positive, but I dont know, apparently I was in there for 1hour 15 minutes where as everyone only had 30 mins... Time went by pretty fast...

Well, I have been invited to go see a medium tonight, I have never been to anything like this, so I thought why not, I am a healthy skeptic, but I shall see what is being said... :beard:

Anyone else visited a medium?

Unfortunately sanctuary parking has been stopped as well for solstice, but I'm disgusted at the national trust car park. I've been going there for years and years, right back to the days they'd let you have 7 days in the car park for solstice. But I've never known them put the bar across :(

Are you sure, I saw vans and cars all along the ridgeway and sanctuary this year! Its the only place I can think of for vans and motors homes

- - - Updated - - -

Shame I never posted before but sanctuary parking has not been stopped at all every year we park along the ridgeway throught the sanctuary car park , there was at least 100 motors there this year ???

Oops didnt see this post!

Its rough wasteland as it is, so the estate agent said I couldnt do much harm and basically said anything done to it will make it better.... I will have an in depth talk with him when everything is 100% confirmed that I have the property.

I shall do it all by hand, I have a week free to do it when I move in! :P

- - - Updated - - -

Its rough wasteland as it is, so the estate agent said I couldnt do much harm and basically said anything done to it will make it better.... I will have an in depth talk with him when everything is 100% confirmed that I have the property.

I shall do it all by hand, I have a week free to do it when I move in! :P

[topics merged from here]

Well, over this week I have discovered something which really caught my attention, the 'palaeolithic diet', and since Vegetarianism has not really achieved what I wanted out of going veggie, which was to lose weight, which it really hasnt achieved, I have just turned to eating dairy and carbs, so here goes for the Palaeolithic diet...

Has anyone tried it?

Woop! I have got a PGC(D)E Place at the University of Strathclyde! I am excited / happy / apprehensive all at the same time!

I have to move up to Glasgow in less than a month! o_O

I have so many thing to do, so little time! :(

Anyone on here who has been through the experience of getting a PGCE?

Sending an animal off to be killed for money isn't really respecting it is it?

If its at the end of its life, then yes, you are making a living and providing for your family out of it, which is utilising the whole animal, I see nothing wrong with that...

Just my opinion though

It`s a myth that skins and leather are a by product of the meat industry...they are a co-product. It is a multi million pound industry and in places like India and China (where a lot of our skins come from) they bring in as much revenue as the sale of the meat.

I am only arguing as devils advocate you see, but still there would be dead bodies of sheep from the wool and milk industry, they can be utilised in my eyes with out it being 'evil'

And there are farmers out there who do respect the animals its a matter of looking for organically ethically raised herds, there will be some out there...

But when the sheep dies, do we jsut let the sheep skin go to waste? Its a mega waste in my eyes... Lets utilise it I say.

Also you have to think about how much damage synthetic materials do to the environment from deriving those materials from oil based materials

"Also the sheepskin would only be thrown away if not utilised, so its better to use it than waste it?"

The sheepskin is there because of the meat industry which is cruel and exploitative.

It also is there because of the wool industry if you think about it.... We could just chuck the carcasses of the sheep away but that seems a waste....

I go by prehistoric man;s terms in how they treat the natural world, and that is if you give it the up most respect and utilise everything given to you, then there is nothing wrong with that....

Edit: Also the dairy production of milk from sheep I forgot about as well!

Synthetic fleeces are also wonderful to sleep on. I've slept on them in my van numerous times & have extra ones on the floor for the dogs...

I understand the attitude to vintage fur, but it's not a good idea to be publicising it as acceptable. I think it's just trying to get the fur trade back in under a new name...there can never be any proof its 'vintage' as they can treat it to make it look old....also, even if vintage it will carry with it the negative karma from the suffering the animal went through before it was killed & this is passed on to whoever uses it...

What do people think about using fur from road kills? I think this is acceptable & use feathers from RK's for my hat as a border morris dancer... Some people use the fur or the animal for taxidermy dont they?

I find synthetic materials become to hot and sweaty in my opinion, I dislike them, I used to have a weird furry green synthetic blanket and it was horrible because of the plasticness of it

i don't get how you can be veggie but want a sheep skin :-/

Possibly because I have no moral reason for being a vegetarian, I am doing it just for the sake of doing it really...

Also the sheepskin would only be thrown away if not utilised, so its better to use it than waste it? Because those sheep could be used for wool all their lives before being used for a sheepskin rug right? Whereas the fur trade animals are being used solely for the purpose of their skins / fur

Also I could not do without my doc martens as well, I know they do a vegan range, but they dont do the variety of them, they seem to only do black ones in the vegan range.

I'm aware of this. I suppose I just assumed that one of the core reasons for a person being vegetarian/vegan is because they oppose the (in my opinion, unnecessary) slaughter of animals, animals that sense fear and feel pain. I'm quite aware that there are several other reasons, because I could write a list of my own reasons for choosing a vegetarian diet, I've just never met somebody who sees the life of a plant as being equal to the life of an animal before, it's certainly an unusual perspective.

It is unusual, but when you think about it... Imagine if we took all the plants away we could not survive for more than a few days with all the oxygen they provide for us, whereas if we got rid of all the animals with brains, the plants would keep on living...

Just another perspective...

Like I said, I am not one of these vegetarians for doing it for a reason.... :P

Surely the fact that plants don't have a brain, is enough justification for eating them over eating animals?:p

Not in my eyes, I see all living things as equal, I have had many discussions with my friends about this... life is life I see it, concious or not, its all the same.

I see killing plants just as evil as killing animals. But I am a veggie, I dont honestly know why I am one... I just am... It might be some commitment thing to myself, but who knows...

Does this make me weird?