Posts by englishfolker

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

Uncle Jhad...............the pigeons,rabbits ect that I shoot would not be in terror....they would know nothing about their demise when they are shot ....one minute they are flying along.....the next minute nothing...dead.......and in the pot...

Yes the dogs are/were mine............the white boxer, lexxie, was put to sleep after being diagnosed with cancer...
    ...the red boxer Ruby, her daughter, is in the process of being diagnosed with, we suspect(the vet) ,with some form of cancer.

and no I wouldn't eat them......but the rabbits,squirrels and pigeons that frequent my garden and the field around my property I'm more than happy to drop into the pot.

Please Angio do not try to explain away my current situation regarding we welfare of my dog....no one...and I mean NO ONE could feel the potential lost of Ruby...the dog I have raised from birth.....and her mother.......other than my granddaughter,daughters, and their mother I have no higher regard for.

Friedonion: you say that 'animals die in the production of modern farmed crops but the problem here isn't the crops, it's the methods to create them'.......and there lies the modern problem....cash.........more bang for you buck....

personally I have no problem with killing animals for the table...........I shot pigeon,rabbits,squirrel,duck..and even the odd goose for the table....(shotgun certificate holder)......The farmer, whose land surrounds my house, is more than happy for me to protect his crops...= more cash for him

The problem I have is with the righteous arseholes who think they have the right to preach their views on others who partake in legal activities.........and those activities that protect the very crops that the arseholes feed upon............

By being a veggie/vegan you are indirectly responsible for the killing of pests that destroy the very crops you feed upon...no two ways about it..........accept you are part of the destruction of the pests that feed upon the crops you eat

Now before I start I wish to point out that I am a meat eater..and proud of it...I'm not looking for an argument or the righteous who will not listen to others point of view....so.

what I wish to know is why you became Veggie/vegan?

was it because of health reasons?....animal wealth fare?..don't like the taste?........................?

And how do you square the premise that to produce crops to feed you veggie/vegan you need to control the likes of rabbits,pigeons,corvids..ect?through the use of shooting ect........

the only reason I'd consider not purchasing 'shop' bought meat is because of the way animals are reared..the chemicals pumped into them for growth/health reasons...........as for wild rabbits,pigeons,squirrels ect why not eat them?..

your thoughts/comments....thanks.

Not recently got into it but been watching it from series 3..Sons of Anarchy...love it but couldn't really make head or tail of it when I started viewing.............so bought the first 2 seasons on dvd .........been watching it every since....got all seasons on dvd.......just got season 7(final season) on dvd...best TV series since The Professionals...........IMO

Pets are an intricate part of the family.......although I don't see them above my daughters or my grand daughter..........i would put them above the wife in order of importance........she's a cow at times and I much prefer dogs to cows.......(I am obviously joking...she'd kill me other wise)...........:)

Thanks Angio............thanks for the comment..........bloody pets....they get on your nervous at time (taking them out on a cold winters night.. and cost you a shit load with vets bills)..but you can't help loving them to death..................and then they break your heart by dying on you................sucks some what.

How am I feeling right now?.....pretty crap.........my red Boxer,Ruby, has lost a lot of weight over the last couple of weeks..took her to the vets yesterday and they're going to have her in for a scan/x-ray to see if they can see anything obvious that could be causing the problem...the same thing happened to her mother, Lexxie my white Boxer..........turned out she had a cancerous growth under her lungs and had to be put to sleep a couple of years ago..........I'm dreading the worst for Ruby......Ruby is 11 this month....had her since birth...........her father(Ty) and brother(Marley..named after Bob)..(owned by my friend) were put to sleep last year..Ty was 13.5 years old (old age...very old for a boxer)and Marley was 10 (brain tumor)...........diving into a bottle of shiraz to numb the pain.

What made you laugh / smile today?..............

What made me smile last night was that my eldest daughter, Tia, informed my wife and i that she was expecting her first child....... suffice to say a fair drop of real ale was consumed by me last night.......not out of celebration but to try and blot out the fact that i will now be a grandfather to two in less than 12 months.........and i'm not 51 yet........(only joking)....couldn't be more please for Tia and her chap, Shaun.

What made me laugh/smile today?.

What made me smile last night was England beating Wales 21-16 in the six nations:)...what made me laugh was my wife being pi**ed off Wales losing to England (her being welsh)........:happydanc

On the down side I got the cold shoulder in the bedroom:curse:.........still England won...every cloud and all that....

Spitfire Real ale...on my second..........raising a glass to Edgar Froese who passed away last week..............Have a good journey Edgar to your next cosmic address, and thanks for the amazing music you left at this one..............Cheers Edgar

I've been working in social care for about 10 years.I got into it after my wife and I started fostering.I'd been stuck in engineering since I left school and needed a change.
    Best move I ever made,work wise.
    If you are looking into this kind of work think carefully into which area you wish to work.I work with autistic adults with severe learning disabiliteis and challenging behaviours.If you wish to work with challenging behaviour you MUST have patience,be thick skinned and not take the verbal and physical abuse personally.
    I'd recommend you give it a go..very rewarding job