Posts by Rosie<3

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

:hug:Im so sorry that you are having such a hard time right now!

Unfortunately most medications have side effects, and generally speaking the stronger the medication the worse the side effects!

Common side effects of codeine are nausea and vomiting (especially in the initial stages), constipation and drowsiness. If the side effects continue, return to your dr and ask them to prescribe you an anti-emetic (drugs used for nausea and vertigo). Also make sure you have lots of fibre in your diet too as codeine causes constipation and given the nature of your illness constipation could make it a lot more painful!

Sometimes it feels like the dr's don't really know what they are doing when it comes to pain control because pain is such a personal thing, each individual experiences it differently and therefore there is no guarantee that drugs which work for one person will work for everyone else. Just keep persevering and pestering them until you find a combination of drugs that works for you, everyone deserves to be pain free and have the side effects managed!

I definately agree with Starpoi about trying to get a prescription for mefanamic acid but until then try a stronger over the counter product (like co-codamol). Just be aware that it does make you constipated so make sure you have extra fibre in your diet! Do you do any exercise? I know exercise is hardly top of the list of priorities during your period but it really does help...especially yoga! :hug:

I too am not veggie but I rarely eat meat and never cook it at home.

Sarah Brown's cook books are amazing...a bit old fashioned, but really good veggie recipes.

I would also recommend having a look online. Most chefs have a website where they post a lot of their recipes...Jamie Oliver does some good vegetarian food, his Hamilton Squash is my favourite and would be a guaranteed winner with your friends!

Hope this helps :)

:hug::bighug::hug:

I am sorry to hear that you are having such a hard time.

Why don't you try to write a list of what you need to take to hospital/what you need to do before you go. It won't take your mind off it completely, but it will give you something to focus on.

If you find a hot water bottle helps, it might be a good idea to get some heat pads from the chemist. I have never used them, but I think you just stick them on to the area you're experiencing pain and they stay warm, providing the same soothing relief as a hot water bottle.

When you arrive at the hospital tomorrow, talk to the nurse that admits you about your period related problems. Ask her to get your usual pain relieving medications prescribed by the doctor. If your periods often cause you to 'leak', ask the nurses for some inco sheets for your bed (just an, absorbant sheet).

The medics and nurses are there to help you not judge you and for the most part we are not such a bad bunch :) I hope the whole experience isn't too awful for you and that they get to the bottom of your health problems!

Good luck and lots of hugs and healing, calming vibes coming your way.

What a lovely little story Catkin! :)

I really should start drawing again...Im just so busy right now I can barely manage one a week, never mind one a day :(

Im going for a holiday in Norfolk next week to visit my ma, maybe that will inspire me to start again!

Keep up the great work everyone, I love this thread! :D

Here are a few of my favourites...

'Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious.'
    Brendan Gill

'After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box.'
    Italien Proverb

'The line between good and evil runs not through states, nor between classes, nor political parties either, but through every human heart,
    Alexander Solzhenitsyn

'To love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides.'
    David Viscott

and finally my moto...

'Viva la vida.'
    Frida Kahlo

Is the thing you want to do actually bad?
    We all have our own rules and moral standards and we each have our own definitions of what is bad.
    I guess what Im trying to say is that if no-one gets hurt by what your doing then is it really that bad?
    Maybe sometimes we think things are bad because society tells us so. If we were to listen to our instinctive feeling about the act, perhaps it wouldn't seem bad at all!

muesli with yoghurt and fruit (berries/pomegranate seeds/passionfruit/melon) is my favourite breakfast
    or mushrooms/tomatoes on toast
    Spinach omlette
    porrige with grated apple and cinnamon

What about signing up with a catering agency? You don't need any qualifications and experience is not essential. It just involves waitressing at events and you can do as many or as few hours as you like.

Alternatively there are always jobs going in health and social care...it's not for everyone but you can do part time or bank work and usually no experience is required.

Final suggestion...clinical trials...sounds kind of scary but it's not! You sign up with a company (usually associated with a specific hospital) and then choose which trials to take part in. Some of them are high risk but there are loads with minimal risk, where the drug has been tested lots of times before.

the shifts vary depending on the job, but social care usually requires providing 24 hour care...and than means working unsociable hours...tis just part of the job I'm afraid.

You honestly just get used to the early shifts and when you have a job you love getting up early is not so hard! :D