Posts by Big Millie

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

Does finding 14 tomato plants growing wild count as guerilla gardening? I was mooching about amongst the fly tipping in the feild next to the yard and found all of the tom plants growing in some dumped soil. A couple of them have fruit already! So I did a bit of weeding and pinching out. :)

Be careful tomato seeds cannot be digested and pass through human and birds
    often found growing near sewage plants etc :insane::insane:

Does anyone make bio-degradeable wipes ? I've been under the impression that the damned things just hang around forever.

I think your right made out of plastic and banned by most water co's from being flushed down the loo as they just do not dissolve and block the sewers up

Well that spell of spring passed. I just put my butane heater into storage today. My poor mans alcohol heater is working a treat.

I've progressed onto an old enamelled mug for a quick blast to warm through. With a small amount of ethanol in the bottom. Enough for about 10-15mins. I'm containing it in my 7 litre stockpot which the lid can be put on to extinguish it if needs be.

44083023-a-boy-doing-experiments-in-the-laboratory-explosion-in-the-laboratory-science-and-educ.jpeg

Sorry this picture came to mind

Big Millie that's interesting. Though all of them on the FB or twitter posts were waaaaay out of tax, most by about five months and one a year. It's powers the Police already had, they have to apply to use them though. Also, it looked like a special op, maybe targeting no insurance too.
    BTW the police were round again last night. The guy in the corsa has taken to smiling and waving at them. Good plan! :)

Looking in to this The Police now have devolved powers from the DVLA and Customs to act on there behalf in seizing cars for no tax and foreign registered vehicles over staying the 6 month grace its all based on the results from the national network of ANPR cameras together with the ones in cop cars

Thats the switching relay ok if wired as per instructions will work as you described your problems , which brings it down to leisure battery either it has failed or is there a fuse blown near the leisure battery ??

I tried giff gaff data bloody useless it piggy backs onto the O2 network which users get priority then Tesco users then giff gaff at times only got dial up speeds (600k) tried it for a month then went over to Three I get 15Gb per month and wifi dongle for £21 per month been on it a year never had any problems best download speed (4G) was 32 Mbs usually around 15 Mbs I do not use it for movies use BT wi-fi pay £15 per month for unlimited wifi over any BT hotspot this is what we use at home
    Regards Chas

[h=1]Found this on the webby

Drink driving – Public Nuisance or a Private Matter?[/h]
    The law surrounding drink driving appears quite straightforward; if you are caught driving a motor vehicle on a road or other public place whilst the proportion of alcohol in your body exceeds the legal limit, you are guilty of an offence. If you drive on a road that is considered ‘private’ whilst intoxicated, technically speaking no offence has been committed.
    However, as with many things in life, the law is not as simple as it seems. The question is; how do you decide whether or not a person has driven on a road or public place? To find out more about the law, continue reading below.
    For comprehensive advice and guidance on drink driving offences,

[h=2]What is a Road?[/h] As obvious as it might sound, the first place to start would be to establish what legally constitutes a road. With approximately 36 million registered licence holders in the UK and over three million vehicles on the road[i] you would expect most if not all motorists to know what a ‘road’ is!
    For all intent and purposes, the legal definition of a road is what one would expect. The law[ii] defines a road as being ‘any highway and any other road that is accessible to the public’.
    Surprisingly, very few people that face a prosecution for drink driving know that the onus is on the prosecution to prove that they were on a road[iii] or public place[iv]. Essentially, the question that must be asked when considering whether a person has driven on a ‘road’ is; do the public have access to it?
    Roads with restricted access are usually considered ‘private’. Restrictions can be put in place by erecting barriers such as a gate or fence or exhibiting a sign which prohibits the general public from accessing the road.
    So, a road that prohibits the general public from using it can be considered private. Milkmen, postmen and police officers are examples of a ‘special class’ of members of the public who are deemed to have the owner’s consent, whether impliedly or expressly, to enter a private road.
    If a supposedly ‘private road’ has no physical obstruction or restrictions preventing access to the general public, then access to that road will be deemed to be at the tolerance of the owner, which could in turn result in the road being classed as ‘public’. However, the fact that there are no restrictions in place would not suffice on its own. There would also have to be some evidence of ‘public use’ of the road.
    [h=2]How Do You Prove that a Road is Private?[/h] A defendant has no obligation to prove that a road has no public access. The heavy burden of proving that the public has access to a ‘road’ rests solely on the shoulders of the prosecution.
    Not much, if anything, has changed since the court established this principle in the early 1930s. A raft of cases followed in the mid to late 70s which approved and applied this principle. A recent example of this principle being applied is the case involving Mr Hallett[v], who was initially convicted of drink driving following a trial at Norwich Magistrates’ Court. He had argued, without success, that the road upon which he was driving was a ‘service road’ which was only used by him and other residents of the adjoining properties. It was also argued that there was no evidence of ‘public use’ of the road. Luckily for Mr Hallett, on appeal the High Court agreed with his assertions and his conviction was quashed.
    It would seem that in more recent times this type of challenge is sparse, which is unusual as it is a perfectly legitimate defence. This may be due in part to the reluctance of defence solicitors relying on what many deem a ‘weak argument’ and in part, due to the birth of other ‘technical defences’.
    There is evidence however that the focus might be changing. Take for example the recent case of Peter McGuire, a Parish Priest at St John the Baptist Church in Yorkshire. He was alleged to have been twice the legal drink drive limit and was arrested following a collision with another car in the church car park.
    He was found not guilty, following a trial at Wakefield Magistrates’ Court on the basis that only a ‘special class’ of people, namely those attending the ‘puppy club’ at the church social club had permission to use the church car park at that specific time. This is despite the fact that it would appear that at all other times, the car park was available for use by those attending the church for weddings, funerals and as guests at the Parish club.
    Surely then all those disqualified drivers who were arrested for drink driving after they drove their car in the car park of a public house have been wrongly convicted? Not necessarily! A pub car park is usually considered ‘public’ during general licensing hours as patrons of the pub are general members of the public who have been invited to enter the pub premises. A pub car park may not be considered a ‘public place’ outside these hours as use of the car park is usually restricted, therefore making the car park private.
    Confused? No surprise there. The same road or place could be considered ‘private’ or ‘public’ depending on the people using it or the time of day it is in use.
    What you will often find is that in order to avoid any doubt as to whether a person suspected of drink driving has driven on a ‘public road’ the police will wait on the highway or road outside the pub until the suspected drink driver has driven out of the pub car park before stopping them.
    [h=2]What Does This Tell Us?[/h] So what have the cases of Mr Hallett and Mr McGuire taught us? Remember, there are two elements to the offence of drink driving. Firstly, that a person was driving on a road or public place. Secondly, that they were over the legal limit. Most defence solicitors lose sight of the potential defences available to their client by merely concentrating on the second element of the offence; namely, was their client over the legal limit? Of course this should be a major consideration and sometimes the situation dictates that this is the only viable approach worth considering. However, a good motoring lawyer worth their salt should leave no stone unturned.
    The prosecution should be made to prove each and every aspect of their case. The recent case of Mr McGuire is cast iron evidence that the ‘private road defence’ is alive and kicking and is still very much effective.

Running that will melt your 12v socket and wiring 500 watts is 500 /12 = 45 amps inc inverter loss do what I have done brought a heater matrix with fan from flebay for a tenner , extended pipes from existing heater and now rear is lovely and warm after a drive

regards Charlie

Found this on the web

Hi,
    The Lucas CAV Thermostart as used by Perkins and others is a usefull bit of kit. It's a brilliant starting aid for any direct or indirect injection engine.
    It consists of an element which gets allmost white hot in use, this in turn opens a heat sensitive valve in the T/S, (plug). This allows fuel to run onto the element creating a fair old flame in the inlet manifold. You can hear it pop as it ignites, It's very effective.
    The fuel is automaticly cut off as it cools.
    There are a few different T/S units for different size engines but a suitable one for you would be
    CAV part no 1854102.
    You will have to drill an tap into the manifold near the air inlet pipe to screw in the plug. "Not too near any rubber hose though!!"
    As Agrimax says you'll have to T into the fuel return / injector leak off for the fuel supply.
    Some systems used a reservoir above the T/S inlet but theres no real need as the feed pipe can hold enough fuel. I've used about 16 in. of 1/8 bore of copper pipe, and formed a couple of coils in it above the T/S inlet level. It's better to have a gravity assisted feed.
    Blead out any air before you use it.
    The T/S will draw about 35 amps so make sure you use heavy enough cable.
    You will need to change your ignition switch for one with a heat position, (Lucas 35670B) or alternatively you could use a Heavy Duty push button connected to your existing ignition switch.

http://www.malpasonline.co.uk/…Valmet-Valtra-Volvo/40626

Just upgraded my 3 to a MIFI costs £20.00 per month for 15GB data which I can use in the UK, France ,Spain and Italy
    It allows me to connect upto 10 items to its wifi
    Speed tests are very good on a very strong 4G signal I have seen 30Mbs down and 7 Mbs up
    On 3G speeds tend to be around 5 to 7 Mbs down and around 1 to 2 Mbs up

Legal News Slight appreciation troubleshooting tariff for light vehicles on motorways and express roads

old prices but you get the idea

On French territory, troubleshooting rates and towing on the motorway and expressway are regulated because the stranded motorist has no choice in the matter. It must indeed resort to an authorized service that is sent by the security service connected to the emergency call station, it is the same in case of traffic accident.
    A decree of 9 September 2010 changes, effective 1 October 2010, the breakdown rate of light vehicles on motorways and express roads. The price increase reflects changes in fuel costs, labor, insurance and vehicles.
    The fixed price for troubleshooting or towing by a certified mechanic vehicles of a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 1.8 tonnes, and troubleshooting without towing vehicles over 1.8 tons and under 3, 5 tons, password 113 to 114.50 euros TTC on motorways and express roads.

If towing vehicles whose gross vehicle weight rating is above 1.8 tons and 3.5 tons less than the price of the operation is increased from 140 to 141.50 euros.
    Recall that the vest and / or the triangle must be used if the driver or immobilisation of the vehicle on the road or its surroundings following an emergency stop. The hazard warning lights must be lit, under penalty of a fine laid down for class 4 offenses (fixed fine of 90 euros).

translated by google lol

Hi
    Thought I might give you heads up on a bad experience we had with the well known breakdown (WKB company) and their "Full European breakdown cover".
    We ended up getting the full cover base on the Rep telling us we would get the same cover and service as we would do at home; like for like vehicle to continue your holiday or stay at the cost of the
    (WKB company) in a hotel for while the van gets fixed or fly us back and repatriate the van back (if they deem it to be worth more that the cost to do so!!...and so on. So, guess what, we broke down on a Péage in the middle of two very small villages in our T4... Alternator died. So this is what I'm warning of: After talking with the private motorway company on the SOS phone they sort out the recover as it a "private road" we were on so, the (WKB company) don't come and get you. a couple of hours later some dude with from a local garage and took us to his garage so you have no choice in who fixes your car like the(WKB company) say you have. More happens but I will not bore you. But I will end on it on the cost was 3 x £more than in the UK, not to mention it took 6 days to get a new alternator and fit it. The bill was £589 for the garage and he wanted cash. Not wanting to scare you in anyway but check what you're buying when it come to EU Breakdown cover. Hope you have a great trip!

French law states this but what you can do is pay a fixed rate to get towed off the autoroute onto a normal road and then you call your own breakdown service as normal

Quote After a fair bit of time faffing around with the fuel lines (the rubber had gone really hard so it was difficult to connect the bulb primer)

you may have just found the problem the hard rubber pipes may not be making a air tight seal it may not be leaking fuel but will suck air in under the vacume from the suction fuel pump