Posts by Coyote

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

I Just am worried that to meet demand that it will not only stop by simply replacing the old ones but by building more or extending the exsiting ones to a greater output.
    Why,because we are living in a societey of consumers and this must change.

WHY though, do we live in a society of consumers? If you do not understand why this is the case you will never be able to address what brought us to such a society.

Take a couple of minutes and listen to what macka b has to say about the power of what we say

No ta, cant stand that music :)

What Atomik says, and part of what Coyote says may be true, you know, the bit where he stays with Atomik,but I still don't see it as an excuse to waste energy, and I worry that the "it won't save the world so why bother" argument is too easily used as an excuse for selfishness as well as wastefulness. I don't want my kids to think it's ok, for example, to leave lights on all over the house for no reason, I'd rather set a decent example. Apart from anything else, when they have to pay their own bills they'll save themselves a fortune. And if they aren't seduced by consumerism they'll have a much happier life. Just one thing though. Dishwashers? Best thing since they re-invented unsliced bread! One wash a day for a family of five in an energy efficient dishwasher beats the hell out of sinks full of dirty dishes and bowls full of hot water several times a day. :D

You know, its a wonder Stu can sit down, what with your face glued to his arse :p

Not entirely. It shifts the focus from the real problem - which is the system - and suggests that it comes down to individual responsibility. It doesn't. People will never collectively choose to do enough to make a real difference. It's a nice fantasy, but that's all it is. It ain't how human nature works. People bury their heads and ignore things until they have no choice but to change. Pre-emptive action would require governments to get their shit together. We can turn off lights and insulate our doors from now until the end of the world, and all it's gonna do is give us a warm glow - along with the warm glow of Babylon burning.

:ditto:

We may well have been forced to where we are today by a bunch of psychopaths who became rulers* and took us on a long march from prehistory...but that has created an invasive, pervasive, environment where individualism (and from that mass-consumption, especially mass-consumption in the quest for an identity) is rampant and where what herd instinct we do retain is twisted by a 'landscape' it was never intended to work in. Actually, the individualism is largely what has risen as the 'alternative' to the messed up herd instinct when we saw just how messed up the latter was getting. :S

The only way out of that is to change the environment, drastically, so that it no longer either twists our "herd instinct" nor drives us to individualism in despair of what the herd now has become.

And that wont happen voluntarily; it would be like an alcoholic giving up drinking when swimming in a sea of old speckled hen. :D :( It will take a kick up the arse on a scale where the dinosaurs are sending us sympathy cards.

*note: not all rulers are necessarily psychopathic....I've not been an anarchist since I figured out it was a synonym for "selfish twat" :D

do you think i should produce some 2D work and if so, what? i thought about maybe getting a sketchbook and doing the doodle a day thing to show that although i don't have much skill in 'on paper' art i am willing to give it a go and am committed - also do you think collage type things would be a good idea? cos i have loads of ideas for those in mixed media

Why do you not already have a sketchbook and some work to show? Is it because sketch work has never really appealed? If so, maybe consider other forms that may appeal more (collage, photography etc)?

You could always phone the college, anonymously, and ask what sort of examples they would normally expect you to bring for an Access course; baring in mind an access course isnt highly demanding (which isnt to put them down at all! I'm a big fan of the Access to HE course (it got me into uni :D). Just that they wont be setting rediculous levels of expectation on new students).

Coyote - it's the community that keeps everyone going mate but I work nights so anyone who would help is out at work now! :(
    Just the way it is.
    We have been here since 22 nov and have never been so welcomed - we all help each other when we can.

Yeah, I'm guessing that is a boaty thing and would probably make it far more bareable. :) The van life seems horribly cut off in comparison simply because convoys attract so much attention whilst boats naturally moor up next to each other. :(

On fire lighters though....king alfred cakes (hard black mushrooms which grow on the sides of birch trees) make great fire lighters ;)

I genuinely dont know how people manage it except in utter desperation. I've considered it once or twice in the past, but even in summer it would be hard with the constantly being moved on, the sheer lack of community around you and the perpetual living on the edge of affordability. Winter, on my own in a van that I could not settle in, is my idea of hell. :eek:

Definately not worth the bother; go the veg oil route instead if you can get it free from the local chippy and then filter it properly (scrumps dont burn well in the engine :D), blended 50/50 with regular deisel.

I certainly know that I've read translations of texts written after the man died that say that, I also understand that he never wrote anything down and discouraged it, suggesting people experience the ideas for themselves. As I say, I am no expert, it is my understanding from my own experience of practising some of the meditation techniques that my mind takes experiences and labels them good/bad, pleasant/painful and that I then react or I am inclined to react, often in ways that are automatic...the longer I have been practising the more I've become aware of these patterns of mind and that they are always there at some level....he also said a lot of other things about living life in a healthy balanced way and talked about an end to suffering....I guess that doesn't mean an end to painful experiences as they inevitably happen to me, but to the extended suffering I tend to cause myself when I take things personally...

I can understand Buddhism if the Buddha was rallying against a belief that we are independent of the universe (because if you believe that, you will believe in a Will which is independent of events...allowing you to cling to an unreality rather than flow with reality). But he seems to actually try to do both of these things; on one side he rails against unrealistic clinging but on the other he appears to propose this be done by rising above reality by not clinging at all. Which contradicts itself, doesnt it? :S

We are drifting a long way from the TV here perhaps, or maybe not!

No man can post in the same thread twice ;)

How is it possible to live anywhere else, I am not able to separate past/future/present/dreams from now, as all of them happen only in the present moment of experience....I exist in the cutting edge of my ongoing constant experiencing.

Yet you presume you will exist in the future, and who you are now is rooted in the past; making both of those where you are as well.

Some do and some don't, depends how attached people are to them and to themselves, buddhism as I understand it, suggests that we observe ourselves closely, the direct experience, in the moment to moment present, in order to get a better understanding of the nature of our mind...both attachment and aversion, to become aware of habits of mind and in doing so move from reacting to responding. This opens up new possibilities in the way action or no action is taken.

I was under the impression that Buddhism specifically taught non-attachment on the grounds that "suffering" is bad....except that suffering can actually bring us useful lessons and is integral to life. Taking it out of the equation seems delusionary to me. :S

I guess I view buddhism as a means of understanding myself better and how my mind can cause problems for me, it is not a religion to me. As regards a "fundamental problem with Buddhism" I'm not clear on what Coyote or Minimummy mean, would be interested if you could explain a little bit for me

It seems to me that Buddhism is fundamentally impractical....and then when you see the impracticality, the response seems to be "ah, dont think so much :wag:". :S That is the same response you'd have gotten from Jim Jones or David Koresh. :D

And its not as I havnt given a fair ammount of time to looking at Buddhism over the last few years (although I certainly would not consider myself an expect on it) but in all that study (and indeed practice) the still seems to be a fundamental problem with the whole "live in the now" mentality. Yes deal primarily with what is here and now, rather than get lost in remembrance or dreams of what may be.....but we humans are temporal beings. Our identity is rooted in what came before, not just current conditions, and we plan ahead (even if its only where to tread in order to reach a door we cannot see so as to step outside of the house). And attachment is not a problem either; if we were not attached to our families we would not fight to defend them....but then Buddhism seems to be a very individualistic and non-productive oriented faith in general....sort of a religion for celibate singles who live by begging. :S Which would make it as anti-life as the Christian St Paul's line on sex and marriage. :S

So, as I said, Buddhism seems to be fundamentally inherently problematic. :S

I'm sure I've seen you post that you meditate, also that you have a good experience of the practice, that you are aware when you practice of what comes up in your experience....it's an extension of that kind of awareness to daily life....

Not all meditation is the same though. To me, its not about pure focus in the moment but just about rebalancing attention so that it doesnt focus too much in one direction; being mindful of past, present and future.

See I think your missing the point focusing on the do's and dont's of Buddhism instead of going with the flow and letting it be it seems you maybe analysing and putting to many rules and regulations on the actual teachings.....

Or maybe it illustrates a fundamental problem with Buddhism. :shrug:

Farming does not require you to constently look to the future as any good farmer should have food althrough the year, via storage means and planting crops which ripen at different times...

It requires you to have your mind at least partially constant on the future in order to prepare the ground and plant the crop to harvest. A farmer who does not constantly look to the future in some part will be a poor farmer who will not plant now to harvest 6 months later.

Buddhism only seems to work with a hunter-gatherer (or scavanger, or even beggar) mentality that is similar to a line in Christian Gospel of Matthew saying that:

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life? “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own"

To live your life mindfully does not mean that you never think or plan, it just means that when you are thinking or planning you are just doing that and you are aware that that is what you are doing, rather than letting your mind wander to thinking/planning/fretting when you are doing something else.

But when you are planning you must by definition be focusing on the future rather than the present...yet Buddhism teaches that we should keep our mindfulness on the present doesnt it? :S

But in order to plant a crop to harvest, you have to be mindfull of 8 months later and keep ownership of it all that time to keep it safe (from weeds, rabbits and suchlike). :S Me thinks perhaps Buddhists would starve if there were no non-buddhists ;)

On a sidenote I agree with Julians point re manifesto - I think a manifesto "promise" should be legally binding, more than that I think every party should produce a comprehensive manifesto covering all major areas and any deviation from that will make their right to govern null and void immediately. They should also be unable to introduce any legislation unless specifically included in manifesto, which would obviously include starting some new and lucrative wars!

In that case they would stop making manifesto promises :shrug: especially in an environment of proportional representation and hung parliaments.

I'm fed up with governments getting elected on a manifesto then ditching it and doing whatever they want as soon as they get elected,

Coalitions, by definition, do not have a 'manifesto'. They will always be horse-trading and back-room deals in order to get as much of your manifesto through as possible. How much of the lib dem manifesto would be put into practice if they had not agreed to a coalition? Bugger all, is the honest answer. All of which would quite possibly have pushed Britain over into joining with Greece, Portugal etc... :shrug:

anything which says no, actually we want you to do this, not whatever you happen to want to do has to be a good thing. People are generally brighter than they're given credit for and if they get a chance to have a voice on specific issues then I'm all in favour.

:S People are in general lead by whichever tabloid* is shouting loudest that particular week.

* and increasingly "tabloid" is no longer a valid destinction either :(

I thought the idea of this was not them asking but us telling. I've signed a few of these petitions, sensible ones, and they do force the government to take notice and have a definite effect.

There isnt infinite parliamentary time to discuss, so there will be a selection process as to what gets discussed...yet this remains in effect at best another form of "lead by focus group", and at worst something that will be hijacked by whichever opposition is in at the time.

Not that our parliamentary system is so hot to start with (what with business already paying 100s of 1000s to lobby parliament), and we already have a route in by getting our MP to raise a question, I just think it is:
    1, bizarre to elect leaders who need to you to tell them what to do. :S
    2, disingenuous in a govt who hit warp speed as soon as they landed to now make a point of "consulting" people who now have a "voice"
    3, likely to be hijacked by vested interests with media power (whether that be the Labour Party or News International) and an axe to grind

Will it happen - I hope so because it will give 'the people' some sort of voice and I'm sure it's what a lot of people have been wanting for a long time rather than the current No 10 petitions that are just provided with whatever suits the government as an answer.

*looks at 'the people'*

:eek:

Which is the sort of comment I expected from them - surely if a petition has the required 100,000 signatures, as suggested, it can't be that crazy.

How many people 'read' the sun? Or watch Eastenders?

It smacks of Tony's "focus groups"...just writ large.