Posts by Virosa

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

I'm hoping I can pick the brains of you experienced lot and ask which type of vehicle you think I should be looking at. Other half and I are 28/30yrs old and have only just passed our driving tests. We have a 7yr old boy, 2yr old girl and a baby on the way. We are looking for a live-in that we can afford to insure/run and that we can fairly easily find parts for if/when needed. Ideally we want it to be a full time live in option (eventually) so we need the space to convert (or it to already have) several sleeping areas. Although adding awnings, spending most of our time outdoors etc isn't an issue, we are in Scotland and it does rain a lot so if possible it'd be nice to not be sitting on each others laps when indoors.

Does such a thing exist, and if so, what do you think it comes in the shape of? I know literally nothing about vehicles, having chosen not to drive thus far so any and all advice/recommendations would be hugely appreciated!!

I don't mind postage costs - it's still cheaper than buying them new!
    It's for a girl but we're not fussed about girlyness so neutral is fine too. I don't put babies in 'proper people clothes' until they're able to crawl/walk so I'd only be looking for vests, babygrows/sleepsuits, hats and snow suit type thingys (im due start of january). I'd be happy to take a load of whatever you think fits into that kinda box.

I have a bunch of fairly simple one off bracelets and might also have some hemp stuff too actually. Just realised my other half is away to Arran with the camera though so I won't be able to photograph them for you until he gets back on wednesday. If you don't mind waiting til then you can PM me an email address for me to send pictures to and you can see if you're interested. I'd also be happy to make you something to your own specs instead if you wanted. =)

I've just made up a bunch of gemstone and copper bracelets with varying gemstones. Could easily make up pendants to match if you're interested.

I changed mine and my son's surname last year. Not sure if it works the same as we are in Scotland but we didn't have to use solicitor or pay for it. All we had to do was get a copy of a statutory declaration from the registration office, copy it out with our names in it, and have it signed by a local councillor. All of it was free and it is legally binding. With regards to benefit, I just had to give them a copy of the statutory declaration so they could change my details but there was no hassle with stopping money etc.

Boo, my four year old has beautiful blonde hair down to his waist because he refuses to cut it because apparently he's a viking! At the moment he's refusing to brush it and is adamant he wants to let it dread naturally, but last year we went through the same thing with him wanting to have it mental colours (which I don't have). He quite like to paint himself blue though when we were painting so I'd make sure we did painting before bath time so that he could get it in his hair for a wee while and it wouldn't really be an issue. We also let him colour streaks of it with food colouring at one point. We used beetroot to get it red, because his hair was so light, and we managed to get some natural blue food dye from our local health food shop which we also had a go with. They both only lasted for one or two washes (slightly longer with Nuada as we only wash his hair with water).
    maybe you could have a play about with stuff like that?

As an insured Aromatherapist Rowan, the information I gave was what I was taught whilst studying/training and is approved by the governing body I ascribe to. Even within the practice it probably still varies quite a lot though, for example I would not ever be insured to recommend to a client that they ingest essential oils, but I do so frequently and GP's in France (where Aromatherapy originated, and most of whom are trained aromatherapists also) will prescribe ingestion.

I'm not sure what you mean by saying that you wouldn't put an oil into your bath "neat"? If it's in the bath water, then it's not neat; it's diluted in the water which acts as a base.

Essential oils can be added to bath water no problem, without the need for a carrier oil. A general amount would be six drops of oils for a half full bath - less oil for less water but no more oil is necessary for a fuller bath. Tea Tree and Lavender are the only oils which can be applied neat directly to the skin, all others should be diluted in a carrier oil.

"Practical Aromatherapy" by Shirley Price, and "The Fragrant Pharmacy" by Valerie Ann Worwood are excellent books for recipes for all sorts of stuff. They include recipes using food stuffs and natural ingredients as well as essential oils.

I'm on the west coast in Ayrshire myk, and I get loads of stuff in my garden. Root veg always does well (apart from carrots which just do not seem to like me!). I usually get two loads from each courgette plant which is ace, tomatoes usually get pretty big and peas grow in abundance. Between pots, bags, pipes and the limited space in the actual soil I grow potatoes, carrots, onions, turnip, parsnip, beetroot, leek, peas, various beans, courgette, squash, pumpkin, strawberries, various herbs and salad stuff, peppers and various different edible flowers.

I have friends over on Arran who can get really good aubergines which I have never been able to grow on the mainland. The wild Eucalyptus over there is to die for! If you haven't grown stuff before then I'd say maybe to check the timing of planting with someone there who has a green finger. My mates stuff on Arran gets put in the seed trays early February and will be fully grown by the time I'm just starting to plant stuff here. Apparently the temperatures in the soils is vastly different.

Oooh, could I please have the Measley Middle Ages, Dark Knights and Dingy Castles, Blood Bones and Body Bits and Viking at School.

I'd never heard of that either. Does it work if you have it pierced but don't wear jewellery in it?
    I've had my left nostril pierced for hunners o' years and if that helped with PMT then I dread to think the state I'd have been in without it done! In saying that though, I'd had the stud out of it but with the hole still open for a fair few years when I gave birth and my labour was pretty much a walk in the park. Not entirely sure that could be attributed to the piercing though.

Nah, it's nothing to do with WWOOF. I know about opportunities through WWOOF, HelpX etc but this program is actually set up and fully implemented by the UK DWP apparently. It's not a holiday scheme, they are actually paying his flights, setting him up with a job and accommodation over there for two years. I'll definitely be finding out more from him if mum sees him again, I just wondered if anyone else knew about it.

I'm not entirely sure this is the right place for this.

I was on the phone to my mum today and the jist of her story was that someone came into her class (she's a lecturer) and told her that the jobcentre is running a program which is sending him to New Zealand to work. No idea what the ins and outs of it are other than it's a two year thing and DWP pays for the flights.

I can't find anything about it on-line. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

My mum and a lot of my friends are/have been professional body piercers. I have a lot of piercings and am very heavily into natural and holistic living. I do a lot of energy work and have received acupuncture/acupressure numerous times, but have never heard of this.

I could maybe see how this could be the case with more extreme modifications like splitting, pointing, removal and maybe even implants but I'm not convinced about standard piercings. It's definitely something I'd be interested to find out more about though.

There are no live lice in it Starpoi, and the treating of them insn't a concern. It's how to actually get the eggs out of my dreads once they are dead. So far nothing I've tried has dissolved the eggs, or loosened them enough for me to be able to wash them away. I've ordered Delacet though and will see how that fares. If it doesn't work, they'll have to come out. I don't mind having spiders, twigs, fluff and who knows what else in there....I do mind have dead beasts :vomit:

Thanks Sarah. In a state of hormonal grumping I actually started brushing my dreads out this morning. Through the tears, it's taken two of us three hours and we've gotten 8 of 64 dreads out. I've had enough. Will be ordering Delacet now!

Sorry if ths is wrond mods, I tried to post in the dreads sticky and it said the post was too old for me to bump.

Nuada has come home from nursery wth nits. This is the second time in three months. I'm raging. I never caught them from him last time, but unfortunately wasn't so lucky this time. =(

I've done all the usual and recommended stuff, wrapped my dreads in vinegar and cayenne pepper and let t oak overnight, doused them in vinegar and blasted them with the highest heat on the hairdryer. I'll be continuing this for a week or so. I never had any live bugs but I do have eggs.

So my question, which I can't find answered anywhere.....how do you get the eggs out of the dreads? I know they're dead but obviously I can't comb them out. The only thing I've found on the internet is to use "Delacet" which is a herbal lice treatment which loosens the eggs and they fall out when washing. Anyone any other ideas on how to get rid of eggs?

It is indeed who you know. As PTM said, once you can get doing it for one place, more work is usually thrown your way. I just asked the local college if they had any openings for it, they gave me a shot with no experience and decided that they preferred me to the female they used and I've been doing it for them and various other places they recommended me to for several years now. Once you get a shot somewhere, make sure you get a good relationship going with whoever runs it.
    Having a portfolio or police checks probably won't make any difference as most colleges etc will put you through an enhanced disclosure anyway. You could also check out local art centres though and they can usually give you details of independent artists local to that area. Be confident and comfortable not only in your own skin but in trying different things. Colleges also have to provide clothed drawings so be sure to let them know that you are happy to do interesting costume work.
    Good luck, hope you get some work out of it. =)

They can still do GCSEs as a private candidate, so their chances of employment/further education are the same as those who follow a more formal school setting :)

You are however, usually expected to pay if you are sitting exams as an external candidate. As far as I know, it's usually about £50 per exam, but I could be mistaken on this.

Lots of good suggestions here but I'm in the same boat as DD. Nuada's never really been a hassle with food but in the few picky stages he's gone through I've always just given him what I've got and he'll either eat it or not. And if he doesn't then he gets nothing else until he says he's really hungry, at which point I'm quite happy to reheat his dinner from earlier. I can't abide wasting food and if he's hungry enough then he'll eat it. I think that if he's refusing to eat what's put down to him but knows that if he doesn't he'll get something he does like later, then he has no incentive to ever eat the healthy option in the first place, so it needs to be the only option repeatedly.

Poor Lucie, that must have been awful for her. :(

I do discipline everyone's kids if they need it. I'm a firm believer that it takes a whole community to raise a child and it's important for children to know where boundaries are with adults other than their own parents. However, when I say discipline....I mean I am comfortable intervening in a situation between kids to calm things down, I don't shout at my own child or at anyone else's, I don't believe in smacking and I don't think you need to be threatening towards kids to get your point across. If I'm sorting out a dispute between kids then I make sure that I discuss it in detail with all involved so that we can all agree on what happened and what should happen. I find that generally a polite explanation/discussion with kids is enough (other than with my own who obviously pushes boundaries with me as far and often as he can!). If it is the child of a friend, I'm comfortable asking them to go and have a time out if necessary, where I will then go and discuss it with them away from the hustle of whatever was going on. If it's a child I don't know, I would only explain to them that if they can't play nice then others may not want to play with them and perhaps they might want to calm down a little before playing again but would never enforce removal from the situation.

Other people behave this way towards Nuada also, and I am perfectly comfortable with that, provided it is in the same calm and respectful manner that I engage with their kids. There has been a few occasions that I have seen something going on from the window and have gone out and given the kids in the street a telling off and I don't think there's anything wrong with this. If the adult responsible for them hasn't seen what's happening then I think it is the responsibility of any adult who has, to deal with it effectively unless it is something extremely serious in which case parents should be informed so they can deal with it.

I would never behave towards any child the way you described this lady to have treated Lucie, as you rightly say...you have no idea how a moments interaction will affect a child. Everything can be resolved respectfully and children deserve no less respect than anyone else.

Nuada can also be cripplingly shy at times, but he often masks it with an air of aggression. Sometimes he'll completely ignore whoever is speaking to him, sometimes he hides behind things and sometimes he lowers his head and looks through his eyebrows at them as he growls. But hey, he's just turned 4 so sod it. He gets loads of social interaction so his shyness isn't through lack of knowing how to behave or what to do. I don't make any excuses for him and I don't force him to answer anyone. I will reiterate sometimes that "the lady asked you a question....are you not going to tell her your name?" but if it's an obvious no, then she doesn't know his name and so what of it. Although, I do always enforce that he says thank you to shopkeepers etc, because being shy is no excuse for bad manners. =)

I've never had debt so I'm not sure how to go about this. My neighbour asked me to write a letter for her a few weeks ago and we've had a response but I'm not sure how to proceed. Any advice on where to go from here would be great.

My neighbour, lets call her Mary, had a contract (obviously not a legally binding one as per the 5 requirements to make it such) with Vodafone for her internet access. They repeatedly failed to take the direct debit from her account so she had to go in-store and pay it, which meant she incurred charges for it. They set up a new direct debit but the same thing happened the next month. This happened on and off for about six months. She then got a letter from Vodafone saying they had cancelled her account and she owed them around £73 because her account had been closed befoe the agreed termination date. They had passed it onto a debt collection agency, CapQuest, who have added fees and say she owes them £109.

I wrote to Vodafone and explained that the failed payments were through fault of Vodafone and not of Mary. That she would not be paying the stated amount and would be happy for them to reinstate the internet supply and dismiss falsely alleged debt. I also wrote to CapQuest and explained that she was disputing the debt with Vodafone and would not be paying it.

CapQuest wrote back and said that the matter had been investigated and Vodafone wanted payment. Vodafone told her on the phone that if she paid the amount to CapQuest, it would be credited to her Vodafone account so she wouldn't be out of pocket. Citizens Advice told her not to pay anything to them.

Where do we go from here? I'm tempted to tell them that since it was not a legally binding contract in that it did not have two wet signatures on it, and they cancelled it due to their own incompetence (they should have records in the shop that she had to go and pay it in person), that they'll be getting eff all.
    Neither of us have had any debt before though and I think she's really nervous about it being a long dragged out process and then having to pay more to them. Does anyone know what the legal standing on this is or where I should be pointing them to to prove that the contract was invalid and therefore no fees are due?

They are now phoning her (even after i said in the letter to CapQuest that any attempt to contact her until she had resolved matters with Vodafone would be treated as harassment) asking for payment but she is just refusing to answer security questions which forces them to terminate the calls. Any advice from those clued in on the next step would be very gratefully received!

Thanks Noctula but if it's a week long then it will be less than a whole unit. I've already done a 10 week evening course on it at the local college a few years ago and have been making and selling them since. Now at the point that I want to be able to do much more indepth things with them so need a more indepth course.