Posts by Velvette

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

I am very suspicious of the girl's story. She claims she only wanted 3 stars...If that were true there would not have even been time for her to fall asleep in the first place, as 3 small stars would have only taken a few minutes to do!
    I doubt she was drunk or stoned either, as most decent tattooist won't touch anyone who is under the influence of anything like that...and if she was then he made a massive error in agreeing to even tattoo her.
    I think she probably did agree to the whole lot of them and got into hot water with her family for it, and is now claiming that it was done without her knowledge!
    No tattooist in his right mind would ever tattoo someone with something they didn't want, that is their living, and their reputation and they would not knowingly risk that. I think she is just a silly girl who made a rash decision, and is now looking to blame someone else for it. The tattooist is probably regretting misjudging her maturity.
    It's going to be hard to prove who is right though, as it will be his word against hers... but I hope that logic will prevail!

It is wrong to assume that people on DLA 'get a free car' -they don't- they have the option to use the mobility part (only if they get higher rate mobility) of their allowance to lease a car from a mobility company, which just means that they will have use of a car, but less actual money. Only a lucky few are able to afford to do that.

DLA is awarded to disabled people, it is a payment towards the extra costs of living that are incurred by living with disability. It is not a means tested benefit, therefore is awarded based on the disability of an individual, not the total household income. At the end of the day those expenses exist whatever your household income, and the thinking is that ALL qualifying disabled people deserve help regardless of their living situation and income status.
    Being disabled means that many of the things people take for granted become difficult, shopping, going out, cooking, cleaning, washing, ironing or other day to day tasks. The money is there to pay for help with even the simple things like extra petrol because walking to the shop is perhaps not an option, or getting groceries delivered because lifting and carrying is impossible. The extra cost of pre prepared veg, or ready meals, cleaning services or home help. It is also there to cover the cost of special equipment if necessary, as not al of that is covered by the NHS. The list is endless, and everyones needs will be different depending on their disability.

For many disabled people, they are not able to work, and the DLA is a real lifeline, not just a benefit to make their lives more comfortable, and actually in the greater scheme of things, does not go very far in terms of coping with day to day additional living expenses. They are far from 'comfortable' and statistically disabled people are one of the highest groups represented in living below the poverty line in the UK.

The process of getting awarded DLA is often a long and difficult one, and often involves medical examinations, doctors reports etc, so anyone who is in receipt of it is 100% entitled, and a lot of folk have had to fight hard to get it.

Disabled people already face enough prejudice and ignorance everytime we step outside. It is a shame that there is so much misinformation and so many (incorrect) assumptions about this subject, it only makes things worse.

There was a case a while back where 3 kids were taken from there parents after the family hit the news because a shop refused to put the eldest boy's name on his birthday cake... because the parents had named him 'Adolf Hitler' his sisters were named 'JoyceLynn Aryan Nation' and 'Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie'

Although there were few details of the case, it seemed that there were no other grounds of neglect/abuse in the home, and no other involvement with family services until it came to light what the family had named their children.

As with any story there were many conflicting stories surrounding it. The parents main argument being that they were 'just names' and they wanted to pick something no one else would call their kids!
    Other stories suggested that the house was full of nazi emblems etc.

Those children had no say in what names they were given, and probably no idea as to what significance those names had. By law they would be unable to change them until they were 18. In a case like that perhaps some sort of intervention, for the welfare of the children can be seen as necessary.

Mother is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all children.

[B]Originally quote is from William Makepeace Thackeray's Novel - Vanity Fair 1847-1848)[/B]

It was also used in the Movie 'The Crow'.

I have it incorporated into a tattoo.

I think a lot of people have made some very sensible points. Just to add my thoughts. Hormones and circumstances can play a big part in the desire to have a baby. At seventeen I think a lot of young women start to consider the prospect of becoming a mother, but that is a long way from what it is it actually taking that on.
    It's not all about having a baby, that baby will grow, and love is not enough to deal with a growing a child and all the life issues that come with that.
    For some people they do not always have the 'choice' on when they have children, and mostly they will tell you how hard that journey is. For those who have chosen when to have children, the road is still hard. Some (like me) started out will well made plans, but still ended up as a single parent... I am not suggesting that would happen to you, but even plans can alter course.
    A small baby to love, becomes a challenging toddler who refuses to nap, defies your requests to behave and knows exactly how to work your last nerve every day, then turns into a stroppy school kid who refuses to do homework, and suddenly you are faced with calls to the school to deal with that...
    Ok, I am being negative, but my point is that it is not all about having a baby, and sailing along in a life where loving them solves everything. Your life, and your experiences before you have that baby will be important in helping you cope with these things when you do have a child, and secondly, you don't ever want to look at that child on the days when they are doing your nut and have a moments regret that you jumped into motherhood based on an unrealistic ideal, and that you sacrificed other things that you could have done with your life for what (can seem like) a very thankless role at times.

Maybe being a mum seems like something you can do, and want to do, but at seventeen, the world is out there, and you have so much time, and so many thing you can do...and tell your children about in the future..... how cool would it be to inspire them with stories of the things you did, the adventures you had before they came along...they would be so proud of you!

My daughter had eczema as a baby and my health visitor actually recommended me to go to a reflexologist. I was quite stunned that she even suggested it, but we went and it worked wonders. The reflexologist also suggested lavender oil in the bath.
    I think there can be links with food allergies, so might be worth doing a google search for that too.

I am a member of the caravan club and it can be useful as,there is a £5 per night surcharge for non members on their sites, also as someone else said the certified locations are usually pretty good places to stay, cheap too, and I think they are only available for members.
    Only thing I would say is with regard to some of the larger club sites is that they usually have more rules. The woodburner may be an issue, as some do not allow BBQ's/fires etc, and they can be a little more geared toward the more 'well to do' retired motor home/ caravan owner, and how the sites are run reflect that, and it can feel a bit like stepping onto the set of the 'Stepford Wives!' :)
    I have been to a few and been fine, but a couple have left me feeling quite uncomfortable, being the only battered VW camper in the place, and the only member under the age of 65! Having said that I have been to a few non club sites that have been that way too.

http:///www.ukcampsite.co.uk is a good place to look for sites, and has a lot of reviews form folk who have stayed at the sites too.