Posts by stuoolong

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

9781105527562_p0_v1_s550x406.jpg

I wrote this book. John Broken Willow is my author name. The photo from the book cover is the healing garden from the Northern Green Gathering, I don't remember which year.

Book blurb: "

A book for people who have some interest in hippy dippy things, but don’t necessarily take them entirely seriously. A comedy, scientific study of practices, whose practitioners reject science. Ever wondered how to fake an aura photo? Communicate with aliens using only copper piping? Cure cancer by bashing a gong? Turn water into medicine? Gain extra strands of DNA by email? Want to know the real powers of the mind, body and soul? This book has all this and much more! This book is not suitable for children."

Sold 27 copies in 8 years.....:D:D:D:D:D:D But I am still proud of my book.

Hi all

I'm planning a visit to the UK for a couple of weeks and I have the notion of renting a camper to get around in and sleep in. I haven't done any vehicle living before. I was wondering if anyone can direct me to any lists or maps of known safe/legal places to park up for the night? Or city/town zoning laws about sleeping in vehicles?

I am visiting friends and have people scattered from the far north of Scotland to Cornwall. I'm not gonna get to all those places. but likely will hit Leeds, Cambridge, London, Portsmouth, maybe Bath and Totnes.

Any help greatly appreciated! :)

Quote from BigBear67

Don't know why we need a deal anyway.

My understanding is that without the deal, trading with the EU suddenly becomes a lot more expensive and complex, which means the price of everything we buy in goes up. Including food. I'm all for self-sufficiency, even though I am a remainer, but it won't happen overnight.

We need leaders who care about making this country great again

I've heard that before somewhere....

One example is trying to purchase a rail ticket at New Delhi railway station,they have a separate place especially for foreigners,they like for you to deal in your own countries currency if you try and pay in rupees you get the third degree if you haven't got proof where you got them from.I tried to pay like this and was sent to speak to the office manager to explain my case,she made me wait then beckoned me over to speak with her while she was tucking into her Indian snacks. I was getting nowhere with her told I will fly less hassle at that she stamped a bit of paper and told me I could buy a ticket.

It can drive you mad if you let it,i have an expression for them bloody Indians which has got me in a few heated discussions .:D:D

I found that getting money changed at the bank was a very slow process. One bank, I talked to the receptionist, waited for 20 minutes, had tea with the bank manager, did some paperwork with an office administrator, waited a bit longer, then finally got to the teller where they simply did the transaction. Whole process was nearly two hours. It was fun, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone in a hurry.

It's nearly 20 years since I went. I spent three and a half months there, in Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Himachal Pradesh. The south of the country I found to be relaxed and friendly and beautiful. For example the one day I had the runs, I was "denied" the opportunity to get back to my hotel by a couple of hundred school kids out on field trip - who all wanted to shake my hand and have a conversation with a white person. Wonderful moment.

The more westernised parts of Mumbai were hell on earth if you look foreign - which I very much do. A million people trying to scam me in clever ways, such that I very quickly learned the art of ignoring everybody which was, well, not what I went to India for, frankly.

Some friends online were talking about stocking up on food in prep for Brexit, but I think they were only joking. But I do think there will be serious economic problems that people who have more self-sufficiency (with energy and food) will weather better.

Here in the San Fernando Valley, which is in the North of Los Angeles, it's normally about 5 degrees at night and 15 during the day at this time of year. However, right now it's rainy (it only rains 5 times a year) so it's more like 8 at night/12 in the day.

I bought a Wild Country tent about 15 years ago, which has since been used (as well as some festivals) in the Lakes, the Scottish Highlands, various parts of Southern California and Yellowstone National Park.

I spent a long time choosing it - it is exceptionally waterproof, and has a porch big enough to cook on a stove under. It's also very light and goes up in under ten minutes.

Question 1:

For a person you loved deeply, would you be willing to move to a distant country knowing there would be little chance of seeing your friends or family again?

Done it. Moved to California for that reason. :wub: Although me and Mrs Oolong do plan to move back to the UK one of these days.

This whole thing with electric cars, scrapping perfectly good vehicles in favour of something brand new, is just crazy, and is designed purely to benefit car manufacturers. Why? Because they pay bribes to policitians. Same with road building, same with HS2, and so on. It's very depressing.

I completely agree. I am all in favour of the more fuel efficient vehicles - I have a hybrid car - but we should get every mile we can out of existing ones.

It's mostly hardline rednecks who join the military.

But that's beside the point. It's more concerning that the border is becoming more militarised, rather than more legitimised. The people in the caravan will be applying for asylum. The current system for applying for asylum in the US is deliberately, painfully slow and full of corrupt practices. Trump could choose to spend the same money on judges, lawyers and immigration officials to help process these asylum cases (and therefore sift out the bad hombres that he fears) but instead he wants to show America before the elections that he is pointing guns at these invaders instead.