Posts by LittlestMushroom

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

(Gorier bits spoilered for people still eating their dinner, or trying to stomach raspberry sauce :D)

As you ladies seem to be very much in-tune with how to use a mooncup, and seem to swear by them, perhaps you could lend me a hand. I finally gave in and bought a mooncup, which arrived the other day, bang on the day I started my period (convenient :rolleyes:).

Obviously, eager to try it out, I rushed upstairs and tore open the packaging, rinsed it out and tried to get it in. After much grumbling at its apparent hugeness (and this is the pre-baby size! :eek:), and a bit of silicone-origami, I managed to get it wedged inside the bat cave. So far, so good - felt perfectly comfortable and natural on the inside, and the way it gently pressed against the walls seemed to soothe my cramp almost instantly. Great, I thought!

Well, not quite so great - the stem was adamant it would poke its nose out of the entrance no matter how far in I put the thing, making walking etc uncomfortable as it rubbed, as you can imagine. So, out it popped again, for a bit of a trim. I ended up trimming the whole thing after, no matter how short I made the stem, the mooncup seemed to force itself down towards the entrance so the stem would poke out. Most women I know who use the things swear by cutting the whole thing off, anyway, so I thought nothing of it.

Eventually, left with a pretty much stemless mooncup apart from a bit of a pathetic rubbery-nipple-bit at the very apex of the gore-chalice, I went about my day. Didn't feel it migrating south, as it had been doing before, and everything seemed a bit of a revelation.

I really don't want to give up on this, as tampons give me thrush, are bad for me and the environment, and cost a bomb. I really imagined I'd take to this, but I'm just so narrow down there and, I admit, not very confident in my own anatomy.

So, are there any tricks for getting a wedged mooncup out without having to dust off the jaws of life? Has anyone else ever encountered this sort of thing before? I'm really stuck with this, and this has really frightened me off using it for the moment, but I have little other choice.

If you've made it through the essay, I salute you. :thumbup:

Here's my meagre contribution, then.

Stumbled around the room for about ten minutes trying to dig out my ever-elusive tablet, must have stubbed my little toe at least twice in the process.

Quality isn't fantastic, I agree, but it was a quick doodle, and I had a giggle making it. I'll put more time into the next one. Promise. :whistle: I love how much love everyone else is putting into theirs, though!

I've been loving lurking around this thread for the past few days since its inception. A lot of drawing talent you lot are keeping under wraps here!

I can't remember who it was that commented that the linework of some drawings looks so sure of itself - I'm finding that with all of them. Everything looks so deliberate and confident, a lot of personality shines through when you just let go, it seems. :)

I'm tempted to join in, myself, though I'm no longer the proud owner of a scanner. :( So it'll have to be done with my tablet, which sucks a lot of the individuality out of a pen/pencil and paper drawing I've come to find.

Still, I'm loving what everyone else has contributed thusfar. It's nice to see something that's less about immaculate artistic accuracy and more about just the reaming out of whatever's on your mind straight to paper. Grand idea!

Okay, last post for now. Though I've got a lot of works in progress, so watch this space. :D

Cute autumn-themed necklace with agate leaves and adventurine, seedbeads, and two other very lovely stones that I've forgotten the names of. :o

Goddess pendant that I am REALLY proud of. Looks far better on than off, and has way more vibrancy in real life, the photo does it no justice at all. Pendant made of clay, holding a little sodalite globe. Strung on waxed cotton with some batiked beads. I'm not feeling very feminine at the moment, just barren and asexual, so this really helped me bolster that kind of energy. I feel different wearing it, can't explain it.

Two-tier stretchy bracelet made with unakite, lapis lazuli and carnelian with some millefiori spacer beads and a fun smudgy lampwork focal bead.

Recieved my gorgeous little goddess from mini the minx in the post the other day. Scurried off and found a 3-D keepsake frame and some decoupage 3-D stickers, put them all together, stained the frame a little, and came up with this, which will soon be happily sitting on my wall.

And finally, made this necklace out of an old, but very lovely lapis lazuli point pendant, and put silver, more lapis and some sodalite in the chain. I know it's simple, but it really works, I think.

Cute stretchy hematite choker with a little hematite kitty-cat fetish bead. Pictured with the most regal and illustrious Deedee because she has currently nominated me as her very best friend in the whole wide world and is following me EVERYWHERE, especially in the garden. She was trying to nuzzle her way into almost every shot when I was taking these pictures this morning, so I let her have her way with a necklace that was, after all, created as a homage to her. :D

This was initially made as a gift, and as a way to get rid of the leftover beads I couldn't really see using in any other projects. Though I felt mean for just throwing something together to get rid of bits rather than choosing nicer things, so I ended up making something else for her, and keeping it to myself. I must say, it has actually really grown on me, and now I'm really keen on it. Went out to the cinema in it and got a compliment from the lady taking the tickets, so perhaps I should've given it away after all! Goes a treat with a patchwork skirt I swiped from Claireaitchbee in the same early-autumn colours, too. :D

Posted this one in the red-challenge thread, too. I was inspired by Danni's watermelon seed stuff, so I got hold of a honeydew and butchered it. Lots of fun relieving stress, there. :reddevil: Strung the seeds together with some carnelian nuggets, tigerseye beads and a lovely yellow-jade pendant. It's pretty itchy to wear, so I have to have a high neck on with it, but it looks gorgeous.

Wanted a nice long necklace to wear with my summery cheesecloth kaftans and the like, so I snapped up this rose-quartz pendant from Willows and strung it with some clear quartz, rose-quartz and various glass beads from my collection. Seems to go with almost everything!

Had a surplus of different turquoises after a project for Claireaitchbee, so I picked up this bone wolf pendant from the local craft barn and put it all together. This looks far better on than off, and the colours are far nicer in real life, too. Lots more texture to the pendant, in particular.

SUPER uber chunky necklace, here. :) Super heavy, too, it's like wearing a medallion! Tibetan silver pendant, lampwork beads, yellow turquoise, and I've forgotten what stone the yellow beads are. :o

Taking a break from posting to go have a little something to eat, but there's more to come! :thumbup:

Been quite creative lately, so I'll spoiler stuff so your bandwidth doesn't go poof. :thumbup:

Made this little pocket-belt recently out of some little bags I got from ebay, cut the straps off, did a few repairs, perfect. :) Used some nellyfant ribbon I had lying around to tie the theme together, and a few fabric/trimming leftovers for the rest. Plaited some hemp twine for the fastening, put some cute little indian bells on the end.

Got a lovely handworked silver pendant from Susumama (yes, a childrens' clothing site) after I followed the link in a thread a while back. Really wanted to make 'cycle of the seasons' themed necklace with it, so I put the spectrum of golds, browns and greens in there. LOADS of stones, mookaite, tigerseye, moss agate, amber, and I think a few other one-offs. Little indian bells in there to tie in with the silver of the pendant, too. Oh, and some little goldstone flowers to sandwich the silver tree. :)

Recycled the beads from a bracelet I got for christmas, as it was just too big/chunky for my midget-wrists. Added in some peridot and moss agate, and some tibetan silver, and a pendant with some clay and cowries. Looks way nicer on than it does off.

Love wearing this one, though I made it a while ago, I've not put it up here (I don't think). Lovely wire-wrapped smokey quartz with all sorts in the chain. Botswana agate, hematite, wonderfully exotic dark grey moonstones from Norway, labradorite, and some others.

Finally used some lovely agate beads I got from Sensi a while ago. Full of hematite and shell bits. :) I DO have some matching earrings I made somewhere, but I can only seem to find one at the moment. :S

I can only echo what others have said - embrace the fact that this was your baby, you'll always be his or her mother. I was pressured into an abortion I really didn't want when I was just 16, and while I don't talk about it much, it still crushes me inside, especially now knowing I might not get another chance.

We named him/her Robin, and myself and her daddy (who I am now engaged to) wrote a little note to the little baby we couldn't have, put it in the box that contained my engagement ring, and drove out to the old willow tree that will overlook us when we marry. We buried the box beneath the tree, and I'd like to think that something will somehow come full circle when we marry, and he or she is there watching over us.

Please take it easy. :) :hug:

My parents went to Rome for their 14th wedding anniversary and took me along when I was about 11. I spent the whole thing bored out of my mind while they took me to see the sights and I baked in the heat. Even at that age, though, I was enchanted by the Palletine Hill. It was like being taken back in time, totally cut off from the hustle and bustle of the rest of the city. I only wish I'd not have taken such a trip for granted, because I'd snap up a trip to go back again in an instant. I still think about that place when I'm feeling overwhelmed. I'd do almost anything to go back there now that I can properly appreciate it. Bah. :(

My god! A car city playmat! And a giant crocodile! And that floaty farting thing from In the Night Garden! Kaya is one lucky girl, I'd be screeching with joy if that was me.

She's adorable. :D

I just recently watched a very interesting documentary on why they think all the bees are disappearing, actually. :) Wonderful watch - they came to the conclusion that it's a mite that carries a certain disease which is killing our bees off. The mite doesn't exist in Australia, which is why they're really the only place with a booming bee industry - they have enough to export all over the world. So the bees aren't all disappearing because of 'human cruelty' etc., so you can put your mind at rest about that, at least.

It DID highlight some more unsavoury parts of very commercial beekeeping, however, although I believe this only really applies to America. In order to pollenate huge orchards etc., beekeepers uproot their bees and take them all over America for the extra revenue it brings. In the words of one of the beekeepers himself 'About fourty percent are absolutely fine, fourty percent are pretty confused for a while, and twenty percent just don't make it'. It's an extra stress that I don't believe the bees enjoy at all, and which can result in quite a large portion of them dying in transit/onsite, so perhaps try to avoid honey from larger American companies.

As for British honey, which is probably what you'll be going for, I believe most bee-keepers are stationary, and let their bees build up a rapport with the environment they live in. This means that you can enjoy looking for local honeys all over the country, as we have a grand variation of plantlife for the bees to feast on. I can recommend heather honey, especially. Yum. :) The other advantage to the bees living in one place all year long is that you can get all the different honeys of the season - they all have very different tastes and consistencies as the spring and summer progress. Bees do make a LOT of different honeys, they're little powerhouses, so don't worry too much about taking their vital foodstores. As PTM says, many bee-keepers leave a good chunk of honey behind for the bees to eat. If you'd rather they ate honey rather than a sugary substitute, maybe try and contact a few keepers direct. In my experience, they're very friendly people who are bursting to talk about what they do, and really do it for the enjoyment and their love of the animal.

Hope that helps a little. :)

Oh wow, I could go on for days about this, drop me a PM if you like. :D I used to be very much into bellydance, tribal specifically. My advice to you would be to pick up a few tutorial DVDs off amazon and practice at home first to build your confidence, and get some basic moves off. It's what I did, and it helped me stand my ground when I first started going to classes.

Do bear in mind, however, that you might have to do a bit of soul-searching class-wise before you find the one that's right for you. The first class I attended for about half a year was one made up entirely of middle-aged women who seemed very disillusioned with life, and made it their business every class to pick on me and how 'scrawny and young' I was, how I wasn't able to 'dance like the goddess' because I'd not had a baby, and excluded me from back strengthening exercises because 'you wouldn't understand how to do this, you've not been pregnant and given birth, so you wouldn't understand the energy' etc, etc. There was only really one woman I got on with there, so when I left, I was still sorry to go, because I still miss her. Blah, ramble ramble.

All I'm saying is, classes can get quite cliquey, so make sure you check out what their 'focus' is before you commit yourself. It's very popular these days, however, so there should be quite a few classes on offer to you - don't give up if the first few aren't fantastic!

And about the figure thing - while bellydancing is, I find, a fantastic tool for channelling female energy, and ANYONE can take part and look stunning, if you look at the top bellydancers, they're all pretty much lean walls of muscle. So if they can get to the top of their game looking like that, you've got no problems at all. It's also a fantastic way to tone up quickly, so don't worry about looking 'scrawny' - the muscle tone you gain will go straight on display. :)

Good luck!

EDIT: If you can go deep into the bowels of the Creative Arts forum, there should be a few examples of the costumes I've made in the past. Don't worry about finding a costume to fit/colours to suit you. They're SO easy to make, it's unbelievable. If you're interested, I could give you some tips on how to make a basic costume up, or I could make a little something for you as a starter gift if you find a bra in the right colour/size and send it my way. :D

I personally think some pieces look very interesting :) Maybe more arty-farty than practical to wear, but I actually think it's nice that someone has made use of these animals, and given them a new lease of life, as it were. They're not trophies or anything, and nobody killed them to create this stuff. Would you rather kill a tree to make wooden beads or choke the planet with the fumes used to create plastic jewellery than see these things made? Waste not, want not - none of this jewellery leaves a trace, and I, personally, really like that. Some pieces are a bit macabre, certainly, but not 'vile' and 'disgusting'.

A few years ago, I bought a dreamcatcher that had been made from a fox's jaw from a lovely Native American woman who makes all sorts of things from dead animals she finds by the side of the road. I'll see if I can find her website. :)

:rolleyes: you hear people say all the time, stop breeding animals, cs there is enough in homes, but what they forget is that a few hundred yrs ago, every breed had a purpose, they was " made" for a reason, and people grew to like them for what they are and their looks, and sometimes you just have to have what you want! :)

Even though working dogs are still bred for their original purpose (and even then I can only think of a few, German Shepherds, some Collies, a few breeds double as snow dogs etc.), there will always be a deformed Crufts 'double' of these healthy working breeds. Take a look at German Shepherds who are used as sniffer dogs, for example - perky ears, strong, powerful body, beautiful animal and therefore a beautifully efficient worker.

Now take a look at what the commercial breeders/Kennel Club think a German Shepherd should look like:

This dog hasn't got his legs bowed because its posing for the cameras - it physically cannot stand up straight. They are known as 'frog dogs' in breeding circles because of the 'desireability' of these deformed back legs, which bow inwards when they walk, causing untold pain as they age, and terrible problems with mobility.

The Kennel Club creates breed specifications in a whole different way to the way desireable traits are bred into working dogs, so please don't assume it's the same kettle of fish. Pedigree dogs are inbred to the point of mating with their own mothers, grandfathers, fathers etc, to produce the maximum amount of 'new and exciting features (deformities, some terrible for the dog to endure, caused by inbreeding)' in the shortest amount of time. For working dogs, a pure lineage isn't essential, just that the dog is healthy, happy and fit for purpose.

'Just having to have a certain breed' comes at a heavy cost. Dogs without the desired deformity are put down at birth in breeding circles, since the breeder presumes that nobody will want the 'defective' puppies. Though here's what I find ironic, and let's take the Rhodesian Ridgeback as an example - the dogs without the 'ridge' are the healthy puppies. They are the puppies with the 'correct' genes. The 'ridge' along the back is a spinal deformity that often features a hole that runs from the surface of the skin all the way into the spine, causing disability and terrible infections. Would you knowingly not only breed this feature into your dogs, but destroy the puppies without this feature, too?

Phew, rant over. Didn't mean to come across all militant and ragey there, it's just something I fear happens under most of our noses, and we never really realise the extent of how horrific pedigree breeding can be until we take a closer look. Don't think I'm taking pot-shots at you either. :)

Although it's messy and pretty time consuming, I believe iodine in the bath can really help eczema and a few other skin complaints. My better half suffered terribly with eczema as a baby, but bathing him with iodine seemed to clear it up, apparently. I've heard of other people doing the same thing, with so-so results. Maybe chat to your doctor about it. :)

what a great idea!

well i usually make them in the evening when princess is in bed! she tries to help and last time she caught my finger in the machine needle! bloody ouch!

im trying bolder patterns and styles and im quite enthusiastic about them at the mo. that and crochet. i have made some head bands and bags. will post them up laters xx

Looking forward to seeing the crochet stuff, I'm always on the hunt for ideas!

Maybe you could combine your passions and make some trousers with crochet detail. :D That I would LOVE to see.

I always used to have frozen juice in my lunchbox. That way, my juice was liquid but nice and cool by the time it was lunchtime, but it also meant there was more scope for otherwise perishable stuff that the drink kept cool.

A lot of stuff that you'd never consider because it'd go floppy/soggy/warm keeps surprisingly well with a frozen bottle of drink in there. Just something to consider, as I always used to love it. :)

ooo ok.. i will have a think.. chrysocolla maybe?
    although the purple one you had at somerset was lovely too.. aaagh! too much to choose!
    which skirt/s would you like? :D

Have a think on it, but the beads are already out. :D

And I love the patchwork skirt - I'm 5'3" with 33" hips - do you reckon it'd trail on the floor or would I be alright? If so, I'll snap that one up. :thumbup: