Posts by colorsound

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

This is a beautiful thread, thanks for all of the posts.
    Although I have always had fantasies about living outside, fantasies about colours and patterns, and a deeper way of thinking, this is the reason I am not equipped to go travelling. (It's a story called "Red shoes" and it
    In my 30's I read a book called "Women who run with wolves" which uses ancient stories from around the world to mirror a womans consciousness with nature.
    I was a late developer and i did not understand the metaphorical way the book was written, and it was only to be, that years later I would understand.

To me, a traveller needs his/her instincts in tact.

I would like some feedback on a question I have please regarding nomadic living.

I am a forty five year old woman, non-driver, no transport with an income of just over £100 per week and no other savings/income.
    This woman has never travelled and is not streetwise at all.
    This woman would want accomodation.

Could this woman do the travelling lifestyle?
    What problems would she encounter?
    What kind of accommodation could she arrange for herself, with that income.
    Any other suggestions.

At the moment, I am just entertaining thoughts. Although I am not streetwise and have never had the camping/van/boat lifestyle, I have always fantasised about gypsies, and loved all of the canal towpaths I have visited.

From comments on this thread I'd say the main reason was mass ignorance.Travellers and gypsys arent 'free',whats free about getting hassled and moved on from everywhere you stop? Whats free about being treated with suspision and hostility everywhere you go? Its not a romantic lifestyle. Some 'new Travellers' are 'free' and will rave about their wonderful new life but these are individual people,usually travelling alone and with connections in the settled community,its a whole different lifestyle and not representative of traditional Traveller communities reality.And again,the majority of Travellers in this country are either in settled housing or on legal sites so even if theyre still travelling as well theyre tied to somewhere just like settled folk.The perception that gypsys and Travellers come and go as they please and have none of the restraints or costs or responsibilities of settled people is just wrong.So the jealousy is silly.

They are free from the 9-5 grind, and they only get moved on because of the increasingly authoritarian regime in this country.
    I don't think it was as bad before as it is now.
    There are honest and dis-honest people in every walk of life, and this goes for travellers too.
    They get a bad rep because they are all tarred with the same brush - an act of prejudice.
    Yes, the jealousy may be silly, but people can also be silly.

I seem to forgive people too easily. If someone does wrong by me, I usually overthink it and wonder if somehow it was my fault or how I could of done things differently. It's probably to do with a lack of belief in myself so its something I should deal with as if not, people think you're an easy touch and take advantage

I don't think anyone has ever done anything that I haven't forgiven. I can think of a few occasions when maybe I should of been harsher and stuck to my guns to make them realise how their actions affected me but I also think sometimes life is too short to bear grudges as you never know what might happen tomorrow. For example, my mum has said and done things which I thought were unforgivable but she is my mum and what good is there harbouring a grudge except to waste energy. I have subsequently told her how it hurt me and she apologized so its all water under the bridge for me.

It's easier to move on if someone is sorry, but what if they aren't?
    The common sense answer would be to not have them in your life, but what if it's family?

I also think that there are many possiblities about alien life - the aliens have already been here, they created humanity, they already live among us, they are already doing deals with our leaders without our knowledge, etc. It does appear glib of a NASA scientist to present this narrow range of scenarios that they have considered. I often cringe when I hear astronomers going on about the search for life elsewhere in the universe being reliant on the search for water. Sure, life as we know it requires water, but it's possible that other forms of life don't need it.

Very true.
    Maybe the articles that reach the media are narrow minded on purpose, to keep the public narrow minded.

Hi Stu

Thanks for the tip on writing about beings not of this earth, so, jsut to be clear, if I put "extraterrestrials" people will know that I am talking about beings not of this earth?

Thanks for the tip on the name of the paper and capital TG.

Thanks for letting me know there is no need to say "Here are some quotes" when I have used quotes.

Thanks also for the comment of infinity, and using 'so of course'

"This is assuming that ET's are physical beings are like phsyical un-human beings"

Maybe I could have written, "Eextraterrrestrials are commonly assumed to be non human physical beings, when they could also be non-physical beings". Yeah, ET does make people think of the film. ET on the movie was a physical non-human, I aim to make the reader aware of the possibility of extraterrrestrials being non physical beings.

"Who's to say harm hasn't already been caused to humanity by ET's?
    Who isn't to say that previous human civilizations have not already been wiped out by ET's?
    They are again, viewing ET's as if they were beings who speak with a foreign language, who don't look human." This bit is good, though I'm not quite sure why you mixed up "who is" and "who isn't".

I guess, when I say who's, I meant "who is" and "who isn't" to say that harm hasn't already been caused to humanity.....I hope that clarifies things.

"or a plain old deliberate by a ..." a plain old deliberate what?

"A plain old deliberate action" Sorry I missed the word "action" out.

"manifestation of the Force of Evil" better to use the phase "Evil forces working against nature" to link it to a previous paragraph.

True, it would sound more consistant.

"More reinforcement of previous brainwashing from our leaders to us via the media.
    What about the ET's in whatever form they take, who already know about our biological make-up?
    We are restricting our views of ET's as a foreign 'army' to carry out war, the way we do here on earth.
    There must be humans on this earth who already know what types of ETI they have, and are, dealing with."
    This bit's good, but they are restricting the view of ETs to that of a foreign army. Also, "ETI" is a typo right?

I intend to open the mind of the reader, by letting them consider that extraterrestrials can be much more than a foreign arms to carry out war.

"I also thought, a few years ago, that, under the laws of 'cause-and-effect', maybe the destruction and negativity on earth, have somehow affected other astral bodies in the universe, and not necessarily those near to us, unless we are fucking up those planets too, somehow of course." This bit sounds fine except there's just one or two too many commas in it.

"If he means by them...
    If he means by us..."
    How about this

"I also thought, a few years ago, that, under the laws of 'cause-and-effect', maybe the destruction and negativity caused by humans on this earth, and perhaps beligerent extraterrerstrial influences, have somehow affected other astral bodies in the universe.
    It is also worth considering that the destruction and negativity may have caused problems with not only astral bodies near to us, but those bodies far away from us also.

"These forces have existed an infinite amount of time ago" - How about, "These forces have always existed?"
    I could put "These forces have always existed" but people who do not know the infinity of time could question how I know that these forces have always existed.
    Maybe I could put:
    "Given the infinity of time, both past and future, these forces have always existed".

I particularly like how the end brings home the main point of the article. Well done!

Thank you Stu, and a massive thankyou for reading through the post and making thoughtful and helpful comments.
    That's just what I was wanting.

Hi Noctula

I don't think you are criticisinig, in fact you are being very helpful.
    Because I am anxious, I do need lots of reassuring.
    Because of my tranquiliser withdrawals, I have difficulty understanding advice when given to me.
    It isn't that I don't believe you, you did research for me.

I'm really really sorry but I canot get my head around this:

Some forms of actinolite are used as gemstones. One is nephrite, one of the two types of jade (the other being jadeite, a variety of pyroxene).

This is because I am reading it as Nephrite, Jade, and Jadeite are forms of actinolite, and actinolite is a form of asbestos.

Hi Sarah

Thanks for a lovely day today, I really appreciated it.

Hi Pumpkin

Sarah did mention chucking it, but I think it has to be disposed of as contaminated waste. I just hope that I have read wiki wrong and am not dealing with asbestos.

Hi sensmelia

Speaking from experience once the anxiety is fixed it doesn't budge

This is really scary. I'm really sorry you feel this way.

I'm telling myself that we would not be allowed to import asbestos, but I keep getting thoughts of "What if this has been misssed?"

Sorry folks for being so anxious.
    I don't mean to pi$$ anyone off, honestly.

love
    Colorsound xxx

I'm practicing my writing skills, and would welcome any comments.

This post belongs in this section because it relates to affairs of the world in a significant way.
    I am particularly looking for constructive criticism from writers and non writers alike.
    I would find the feedback really useful.

A few years ago, I considered the possibility of whether extra terrestrials are aware of the mess in which humanity is in with this planet, and whether that awareness will prompt them, or whether it already has prompted them, and we just haven't been told.

Our so called leaders believe in keeping some things secret-What type of decent leader would keep secrets from its followers?

A newspaper article in the guardian has shown me that I may have had a prediction, or maybe it was weird co-indicence?

Aliens may destroy humanity to protect other civilisations, say scientists | Science | The Guardian
    The article suggests that I may have made a prediction, or whether it's just weird co-incidence.
    I have taken some quotes from the article and made comments below.

Some quotes from the thread and my comments
    This highly speculative scenario is one of several described by a NASA-affiliated scientist and colleagues at Pennsylvania State University that, while considered unlikely, they say could play out were humans and alien life to make contact at some point in the future.

Contact has been made aeons ago, another thing our leaders have kept secret from us.

Shawn Domegal-Goldman of Nasa's Planetary Science Division and his colleagues compiled a list of plausible outcomes that could unfold in the aftermath of a close encounter, to help humanity "prepare for actual contact".

Media brainwashing. Through the media, manipulating us to assume contact has not yet been made.

In their report, Would Contact with Extraterrestrials Benefit or Harm Humanity? A Scenario Analysis, the researchers divide alien contacts into three broad categories: beneficial, neutral or harmful.
    Beneficial encounters ranged from the mere detection of extraterrestrial intelligence (ETI), for example through the interception of alien broadcasts, to contact with cooperative organisms that help us advance our knowledge and solve global problems such as hunger, poverty and disease.

Yet more brainwashing. Re-inforcing the secret.
    The universe is so infinite that of course, ET's have been in contact with us since time immemorial.

Another beneficial outcome the authors entertain sees humanity triumph over a more powerful alien aggressor, or even being saved by a second group of ETs. "In these scenarios, humanity benefits not only from the major moral victory of having defeated a daunting rival, but also from the opportunity to reverse-engineer ETI technology," the authors write.

This was also in my thoughts years ago. I wondered if, maybe there is a bit of a galactic war going on, between "Nature" vs "Evil forces working against nature" with earth, or for that matter, any other problematic astral bodies, as piggy-in-the-middle.
    I believe nature, not to be restricted to planet earth, in fact, in my eyes the universe is infinite, and so is nature, in all her forms, many of which we don't know, because the universe is so vast, we are not advanced enough to know, or, it, too was kept a secret.
    Wasn't reverse technology carried out by germans war criminals who fled to the US to work for NASA?

Other kinds of close encounter may be less rewarding and leave much of human society feeling indifferent towards alien life. The extraterrestrials may be too different from us to communicate with usefully. They might invite humanity to join the "Galactic Club" only for the entry requirements to be too bureaucratic and tedious for humans to bother with. They could even become a nuisance, like the stranded, prawn-like creatures that are kept in a refugee camp in the 2009 South African movie, District 9, the report explains.

This is assuming that ET's are physical beings are like phsyical un-human beings, who communicate in a different language - a non human foreigner.
    It totally, and deliberately dis-regards that telepathy may be used by ET's to communicate with one another.

Let's not just think of other forms of physical life in the universe, let us think of other forms of consciousness in the universe instead.

The most unappealing outcomes would arise if extraterrestrials caused harm to humanity, even if by accident. While aliens may arrive to eat, enslave or attack us, the report adds that people might also suffer from being physically crushed or by contracting diseases carried by the visitors. In especially unfortunate incidents, humanity could be wiped out when a more advanced civilisation accidentally unleashes an unfriendly artificial intelligence, or performs a catastrophic physics experiment that renders a portion of the galaxy uninhabitable.

Who's to say harm hasn't already been caused to humanity by ET's?
    Who isn't to say that previous human civilizations have not already been wiped out by ET's?
    They are again, viewing ET's as if they were beings who speak with a foreign language, who don't look human.

Who's to say that an advanced civilisation hasn't already accidentally, or, deliberately, unleashed an unfriendly artificial intelligence, or perfored a catastrophic physics experiment that has gone wrong. My belief sits between the possibility of humanity being an experiment that has accidentally gone wrong, or a plain old deliberate by a manifestation of the Force of Evil with a deliberate and destructive urge.

To bolster humanity's chances of survival, the researchers call for caution in sending signals into space, and in particular warn against broadcasting information about our biological make-up, which could be used to manufacture weapons that target humans. Instead, any contact with ETs should be limited to mathematical discourse "until we have a better idea of the type of ETI we are dealing with."

More reinforcement of previous brainwashing from our leaders to us via the media.
    What about the ET's in whatever form they take, who already know about our biological make-up?
    We are restricting our views of ET's as a foreign 'army' to carry out war, the way we do here on earth.
    There must be humans on this earth who already know what types of ETI they have, and are, dealing with.

The authors warn that extraterrestrials may be wary of civilisations that expand very rapidly, as these may be prone to destroy other life as they grow, just as humans have pushed species to extinction on Earth. In the most extreme scenario, aliens might choose to destroy humanity to protect other civilisations.

I also thought, a few years ago, that, under the laws of 'cause-and-effect', maybe the destruction and negativity on earth, have somehow affected other astral bodies in the universe, and not necessarily those near to us, unless we are fucking up those planets too, somehow of course.

"A preemptive strike would be particularly likely in the early phases of our expansion because a civilisation may become increasingly difficult to destroy as it continues to expand. Humanity may just now be entering the period in which its rapid civilisational expansion could be detected by an ETI because our expansion is changing the composition of the Earth's atmosphere, via greenhouse gas emissions," the report states.

I don't honestly know if the writer of this article meant a pre-emptie strike by us or ET's
    If he means by ET's, then I cannot see any evidence of a strike by them.
    If he means us, then you don't need me to say how utterly stupid that would be.
    Word has it that there is going to be a fake encounter with ET's in, I think, in November 2011.
    Maybe this would be a good excuse for our sneaky, secret-keeping leaders to enslave us a hell of a lot more by somehow bringing in sinister draconian laws that could enslave us a hell of a lot more than they do now.

"Green" aliens might object to the environmental damage humans have caused on Earth and wipe us out to save the planet. "These scenarios give us reason to limit our growth and reduce our impact on global ecosystems. It would be particularly important for us to limit our emissions of greenhouse gases, since atmospheric composition can be observed from other planets," the authors write.

It is typical of narrow minded humans to speculate scenarios regarding ET encounters. There are an infinite number of scenarios. The media lists a few, but the list of scenarios is too infinite even to consider.
    What about the scenarios that have actually played out?
    We'll never get the truth out of our leaders though, because they have more power in not letting us know.
    Creativity and destruction, in a way, are one-and-the-same-thing. Both are the expressions of a man's feelings and acts.
    Man has an urge, conscious or un-conscious to express his feelings and acts in physical and non phsyical forms.
    Creativity is the healthy manifestation of feelings and acts. Destruction is the unhealthy manifestation.

To take it right back to the source. The forces of Good and Evil. These forces have existed an infinite amount of time ago. I used to think that Evil was a newcomer to an ideal world, but I never considered the infinity of consciousness.

An eternal repetition of consciousness experiencing itself. Why, because there will always be growth and new creations being made, for ever.

There will and always has been opposites in the universe. These opposites co exist. A spherical moving "yin-yang" symbol is the best form of expression I can find for it. Be that earthly, galactically, or universally infinite.

You can quote anything you like from anywhere, but as the universe is infinite, anything is possible.

My anxiety about this is so strong, because some of the 'suspect' gems I have, are scraped and scratched, with the uncut stones, some bits have fallen off. I am struggling with the thoughts that asbestos fibres have been relaesed through the scratching etc and that I cannot idenify all of the green stones I have.

You have all been really helpful so far and I appreciate this.

love and light
    CS x

I've done some reading.

The name 'Jade' for a gemstone actually refers to two entirely different minerals.
    1. The first is Nephrite, which is a form of actinolite. BUT Actinolite is the name for an aggregate (group) of similar minerals. Nephrite is NOT the same as asbestos.
    2, The second is a mineral called Jadeite. This is the mineral most commonly found as the gemstone Jade. It has NO link to asbestos.

In either case, I think you really are worrying needlessly. :)

I really appreciate you looking into this for me. :) it means a lot.
    Please can you tell me where you looked.

The bits in Wikipedia that worried me are:

Actinolite is an intermediate member in a solid-solution series between magnesium-rich tremolite, Ca2Mg5Si8O22(OH)2, and iron-rich ferro-actinolite, Ca2Fe5Si8O22(OH)2. Mg and Fe ions can be freely exchanged in the crystal structure. Like tremolite, asbestiform actinolite is regulated as asbestos.

and

Some forms of actinolite are used as gemstones. One is nephrite, one of the two types of jade (the other being jadeite, a variety of pyroxene).[2]

Another gem variety is the chatoyant form known as cat's-eye actinolite. This stone is translucent to opaque, and green to yellowish green color. This variety has had the misnomer jade cat's-eye

I may also have some other stones which are tremolite, another form of asbestos.

I claimed ESA after I left my full-time job following my doctor's warning that I was at risk of a nervous breakdown. My "assessment" was a joke; everything was twisted, my occasional coffees with friends and weekly visits from my dad were portrayed as a busy social life, the phrase "but still manages" was frequently used. As in attending college 12 hours a week (I missed a lot of time due to depression), walking my dog and cooking proper meals for my kids. Days after I received the letter I was scheduled in for an emergency mental health assessment due to suicidal feelings and thoughts. It's a joke. And not a funny one.

That must have been terrible.
    I hope things work out for you.

loce CS x

An interesting read.

I think that there should be no need for private healthcare.
    I cannot help but question the morality of someone who wants to make healthcare a saleable item, when it's a basic human right.

I have some minerals and gemstones I cannot identify and am worried that one of them may be actinolite.
    Actinolite is a form of asbestos. Jade is a form of actinolite.

My minerals and gemstones have been stored in a bowl for years and are well scratched and broken.

I'm worried they have given off some asbestos fibres and contaminated my house.

I have already had one asbestos worry this year.
    They found it in my kitchen flooring.
    I own my own flat so have to pay for it myself.

I cannot ring the council to ask about the gemstones, because I have already rang them many many times, regarding my flooring due to my bad anxiety, and they feel I am calling too many times.

I don't know what to do.

love CS x

Not everyone who smokes is 'rough'
    And what is 'rough' anyway.
    Posh people can behave disgracefully too.
    In pubs troublesome people come from all walks of life, and the fact that they're drinking dosen't help.

I think a ban on smoking outdoors is going well over the top, it smacks of lunacy.
    I can see how people wouldn't like it in crowds, but other than that, we are in the open air ffs.
    Plus, I've heard it said that you meet the most interesting people outside the pub in the smoking bit.

I don't like rude or inconsiderate smokers, but some none smokers take it wayyy to far.

For me i find great comfort in my own company, but it took along time to feel like this and as its my choice its easy. But i do have lots of friends to visit and a few that visit me when they spot me parked up. I totally understand where your coming from and with lots of time on your hands no wonder your feeling it. Shame im miles away from you but i can offer a virtul friendship. Hope you fine some like minded people nearby

I would love a virtual friend who drives a van and lives in it. :)
    Thank you.

C x

I live in Dorset with my partner but visit my mum fairly regularly in Westbury, Wiltshire so if you're not too far away perhaps we could meet up sometime. I feel a bit isolated here in Dorset even though I have a part time job I don't really have anything in common with the people I work with.

I am quite shy and find if difficult to make friends.

I know how that feels, spending the day with people you have nothing in common with. Up until my mid 30's I didn't realise I didn't fit in because I had nothing in commmon with people, I just thought I didn't fit in because of something in my personality.

Maybe we could meet halfway. I live in Chippenham, a small town in North Wiltshire.

You can get to know a bit about me on here, by chatting or messaging me.
    I don't have an msn or real-time chat client cos I dunno if my computers processor would take the weight of the software.

love Colorsound
    x

Wow,youre so brave reaching out -my pride would hold me back.Wishing you so many great things for the future,was a time i was addicted to tranx too,slowly does it ,you can take things at your own pace.Love & peace.:hippy:

Something had to give. Sometimes unbearable situations force you to reach out. Loneliness isn't something that should be endured, as it is a big stressor and can worsen health.

Sorry you were addicted to tranx and I hope you did not have too bad a time coming off them.

CS x

Chances are, The Daily Mail thinks you're a lazy shirker....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new…claimants-unfit-work.html

Apparently, since the welfare reforms, many people are being thrown off incapacity benefit and declared fit for work after unfair/wrong assessments, or merely declared fit for work, before they are ready to work.
    The nine to five life is an un-natural, man-made unhealthy lifestyle, and some humans are just not able to 'adapt' to it, finding it more bearable, staying the way nature intended.

I didn't read the article, cos I find the daily mails articles, pathetic, and ridiculously biased.