Posts by Roodye

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

I agree completely with VBB and Sandra. I hope you're able to make your decision accordingly, and good luck with your transition! I went from vegetarianism to veganism overnight and I was aided greatly by a vegan forum, vegan recipe blogs, and Isa Moskowitz's Veganomicon which is a really inspiring cookbook!

:thumbup:

Atomik and Barrelrider, I always look forward to reading your input on threads, and today is certainly no different! Wonderful posts, thank you. :D

dinner at govinda's

I love Govinda's!! Bloody lovely food! And a great atmosphere.

And Stu I recommend the mushroom burger with onion rings and spicy wedges wholeheartedly!

Scrambled Tofu

Ingredients
    1 lb. extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 medium chopped white onion
    2 cups mushrooms, thinly sliced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    Any other vegetables e.g. carrot or peppers

Spices:
    2 teaspoons cumin
    1 teaspoon thyme,
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1/2 teaspoon tumeric
    1 teaspoon salt

Directions
    Heat oil in pan over medium-high. Saute onions and garlic 3 for a couple of minute, until softened. Add mushrooms, saute 5 minutes more. Add spice blend and any vegetables and mix it up for 15 seconds or so. Add 1/4 cup water and deglaze the pan, scraping the bottom to get all the garlic and spices.

Crumble in tofu and mix well. Don't crush the tofu, you want it to remain chunky. Let cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding splashes of water if necessary to keep it from sticking too much. Lower the heat a bit if you find that it is sticking. If it seems too dry add splashes of water. Best served on toast.

Hello Roodye,

Understanding the Bible can be very diffecult. There can seem to be things that promote slavery, war....etc. Also things can seem to contradict. However if you can each book in context that the meaning is alot clearer. You have pulled out bits of the Bible and put quotes next to eachother (i.e taken out of context) that come from different books, written at different times, cultures, and to diferent audiences, which were intended to be applyed in differnt ways ( i.e laws of state, which are very different to personal morality) and so on. So Of course if you take words out of contect they are going to contradict.

The context and understanding of the bible is not the topic on this thread, though if you are interested to disscuss it, I would love to, so please make another thread if you like. I don't have alot of time so i might not be able to contribute that much but feel free to do as you wish. And just incase you really did want to do some reading for yourself then I've got a link for a good book.
    http://www.amazon.com/Systematic-The.../dp/0310286700

How have the quotes been taken out of context and can you explain the context of the first four? Because I can't, and I couldn't even in my Christian years.

The understanding of the bible is relevant to this thread and I'm speculating as to whether the woman's viewpoint could be seen as valid and what it was based on. What is your disapproval of homosexuality based on? And thanks for the permission, but I can't see it solving much.

If she bases her theory that "homosexuality is wrong" from Leviticus in the bible where it says "do not lie with mankind as you lie with womankind, it is an abomination" then does she live by the rest of the bible?;

*"You shall give the firstborn of your songs to me. You shall do likewise with your cattle and with your sheep. Seven days it shall be with its mother, then on the eighth day you shall give it to me" (Exodus 22:28, 29)

*"A curse on him who is lax in doing the LORD's work!
    "A curse on him who keeps his sword from bloodshed!" (Jeremiah 48:10)

*"A whip for the horse, a bridle for the ass, and a rod for the fool's back." (Nahum 26:3)

*"You will eat the fruit of the womb, the flesh of the sons and daughters the Lord your God has given you." (Deuteronomy 28:53)

Not to forget the hypocrisy found in the bible:

*We should fear God (Matthew 10:28)
    We should love God (Matthew 22:37)
    There is no fear in love (1 John 4:18)

*And Jesus said, "For judgement I am come into this world." (John 9:39)
    "I came not to judge the world" (John 12:47)

*"Every word of God is pure" (Proverbs 30:5)
    "Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces." (Malachi 2:3)

And how the bible promotes slavery, incest and racism. If she follows the bible fully maybe her viewpoint could be understood. But too often these days, people just pick and choose parts of the bible they like and discard the rest, I see something wrong in that.