Posts by mithra

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

Quote from matthew

She should have resigned a long time ago. Now under a very old principle of her 'belief' she decieds to leave.... mmm forgive me if i think she is a bit of a opportunist.

Quite the opposite I think; she screwed up her resignation over Iraq (she would have had more effect if she resigned when Robin Cook did before the invasion), I think because Blair managed to presuade her that she still had some influence. She is an Independent MP now and I don't think she is after re-election next time round, but is apparently still a member of the Labour party... Draw what conclusions you like, but she sounds more confused than I am.:confused:

M

Quote from Dark Scout

I have ... and I agree ... the last thing I want is more of my details on file! Ive already refused to get an oyster card (which would have saved me a great deal of money back in London :rolleyes:) and I will certainly be boycotting any pubs who sign up to this system

Was the pub in Yeovil that had this system part of a chain Atomik, and if so which one?
    M

Quote from Atomik

There's more evidence of aliens visiting earth than there is of Al Qaeda training in Iraq.

The important thing to remember is that Saddam was a secularist, and among the many categories of Muslim that al-Qaeda loathes, those in favour of secular government feature pretty highly.

Al-Qaeda is Sunni, (one of the few things they have in common with Saddam) something to bear in mind before Shia Iran is accused of aiding them.

M

Quote from Atomik

That's because they're idiots. I have problems comprehending the depths of their stupidity, but I'm now convinced that this is the case. Reading Rumsfeld's idiotic ramblings makes you realise the moron really believed that a war could be won with technology. And I'm pretty sure they expected flowers strewn on the streets wherever they went. No, these guys fucked up. Looking at how the Republicans are about to be wiped out in the upcoming elections, I'm pretty convinced they didn't plan for this eventuality. It's simply a classic example of what happens when governments surround themselves with policy advisors who tell them what they want to hear.

Policy advisors certainly, and the general feeling with the Bush administration that whatever they do they have God on their side. There was good evidence (no I don't have it to hand or head) that Dubya was always planning to invade Iraq to finish off Daddy's war even before 9/11 but was merely looking for a pretext. My guess is that he was convinced that running Saddam out of Baghdad would be as easy as running him out of Kuwait.

M

A whopping 25% currently claim outright sanity. Methinks the sane folks have been doing their best to gang up on the rest of us.:panic:

M

Quote from matthew

The other suggestion is Bush is doing this for personal gain.. show me the 'evidence' for this

Well, there is the Halliburton connection. Veep Dick Cheyney is their ex-Chairman; they get the lion's share of the Iraqi contracts post invasion. In fact, Bush's cabinet at one point was looking like a retirement home for ex Halliburton staffers.

M

:surrenderIt must be a real bummer for Dubya to be told by his daddy's best mate what a complete failure he is; and now he has to hope that one (if not 2) members of his "axis of evil" (Iran and Syria) will bail him out.

Now I'll just have to sell my Halliburton shares...

M

Yet even here you see how far right groups, not just the BNP, can infiltrate worthy causes. You see here how the International Third Postition (is that potentially kinky or is that just me?) is opposed to Coca-Cola and McDonalds, something they hvae in common with a good many leftwing groups. I also remember a case from a few years ago where some parents were shocked to find that their offspring were members of the National Front, which they had joined as a result of contacts made while members of a hunt sabbers group.

M

I think the "Blue Peter" part of his farewell tour is now explained. Apparently BP has just launched a competition for 2 age groups to make a short film about "My UK", with the winners getting to meet the PM in Downing Street and by the sound of it the deadline is quite soon, just in case...

Love
    M

I know they aren't mass-murdering psycopaths, but cranefly/Daddy Long-Legs are one of my pet hates. They are in season too now, and enjoy trailing themselves all over me just as I am trying to sleep...

love
    M

Are the little buggers carniverous? Saw a couple earlier today buzzing around the discarded remains of a KFC.

Love
    M

For central Nottingham try the Alley Cafe (not the easiest place to find) www.alleycafe.co.uk. All vegetarian/vegan menu, brilliant staff.

If in Beeston, try the Victoria Hotel right by the railway station. The menu there has a wide and equally varied omivore and vegetarian selection and one of the best beer selections in the area. Oh and please PM me if you're going there as it's my local.

Love
    M

Quote from Ma-Crap

No I wouldn't either Pabsy :rolleyes:
    The only reason I asked was because yesterday, on a day out to Glastonbury, a floaty looking woman gave us a monumentally filthy look because her bare footed child walked straight into the little pool of vomit that Petal had just left on the pavement (petal was pulling on her lead really hard and was sick). Her manner and attitude irritated the fuck out of me actually. I too love walking bare footed and Charlie also loves to do this... but I certainly don't allow him to walk in town centres like this as his feet are so soft still.. I quite often walk around bare foot in towns during the summer because I have learnt to be very aware of hazards on the ground - but children cannot be expected to be so aware.

I agree entirely with you Ma-Crap, as someone else who likes wandering around barefoot. What bothers me in particular is shod parents who let their small children go barefoot; by doing that they lose contact with whatever hazards may be lurking at ground level, and there is no way the kids can work out for themselves to avoid broken glass, rough ground etc.

Love
    M

Oh dear, you'll just have to stop wearing them then ...

love m

Quote from arlia

i have a foot injury at the moment!
    from wearings shoes!
    the buggers

Quote from Earth Whirler

I used to walk barefoot everywhere but weirdly, after seeing so much crap (literally!) on the pavements in Glastonbury, it put me off. Apart from the dog shit there was blood from people having fights, beer from the brew crew and sometimes broken glass. You have to remember that the skin absorbs everything around it so being barefoot in towns could be dangerous.

I'm not sure about the skin being so absorbent; it is after all waterproof and will really only absorb anything if broken. So yes, be wary of broken glass etc, but a regular barefooter will develop good toughened soles as a natural protection against this.

Funnily enough the last time I sustained an injury as a result of being barefoot was in Glastonbury a few years ago when I was doing nothing more adventurous than buying a paper and cut the ball of my foot. Now I am careful to be barefoot as much as possible all year round so that my feet retain their toughness.

Love M

Good grief it's not even a government proposal but a fully formed Act!! I reckoned when I first read this that we were in for proposals which would be diluted or withdrawn once public interest had moved elsewhere.

But what will they do about the biggest menace of all, street lighting?
    M