Posts by Barefoot_Surfer

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

My advice is to build up slowly and to remember it doesn't get easier, you just get faster.

When it comes to climbing hills, put any bravado behind and remember you are not Bradley Wiggins and drop down to the easiest gear you can manage to spin at a decent rate. You will climb at a snails pace, but who cares, at least you will reach the top, most probably with your lungs burning and legs that feel like jelly mixed with pain.

The HAF X is the same case as I have got. Did you put the castors on? I find they make moving the thing around that bit easier.

When the case turned up at work I was a little bit surprised at the size and weight of it, pictures on the internet can be a bit deceptive sometimes :)

What are people using in the way of computers?

The one I am using is custom built with these specs:

Processor: AMD FX 8350 4.0Ghz 8 core
    Motherboard :Asus Sabertooth 990FX rev 2.0
    Memory: 32Gb
    Video: Sapphire Radeon 7850 2Gb
    Hard Drive: 2Tb
    BluRay drive
    Windows 8

So what are others using?

Good solution - I suppose the next step would be replace the HDD with an SSD - seeing as everything else works. LOL

I am not a big fan of SSD, they have one major flaw is that they have a limited lifespan. Each byte on an SSD can only be written and read 10000 times before it is lost. Over time an SSD will slow down and loose any usable space, depending on how much you use it. You are normally looking at about a couple of years before you end up tossing it. My preference would be for a RAID 10 array. Then if one of your hard drives dies, then it is not a problem, you just need to make sure that you replace the failed drive as soon as.

The Bohdi Linux on my machine, if it runs like a greased whippet on machines with plenty of RAM, then on mine it would probably run like a greased whippet on steroids!

I travel in and out of this country every week, going out no check other than the odd scan,
    Coming back everyone is checked, every time, instead of checking possible "suspect" persons.
    This causes the travel service, ferry or tunnel to be very slow in comparison to the rest of the EU border checks.
    Control freaks at their worst!

This reminds me when boarding the Eurostar, going out of London you only go through the ticket barrier then the metal detector before having your passport checked. However, going out of Paris was a different matter. Not only was having my passport checked by the French Border police not enough, I had to have it checked again by the UK Border Agency at another kiosk further down and this was the line for EU citizens. I dread to think what Non-EU have to go through.

World Anti-Doping Agency. Thanks to them I am having to go through a lot of expense and hassle because one of the medications that I take and need to have on me is a banned substance.

For my particular sport this particular substance is not performance enhancing, in fact it does the complete opposite.

If I did cycling and I was Lance Armstrong climbing Alpe D'Huez.... Hold on a moment! Didn't he do that?

Bloody ridiculous P&P charges to the Highlands. We have roads and everything now you know!!!! :wall:

I think those charges are because the highlands seem to be lumped in with the islands. Given how remote some of the islands are, getting to the moon would seem like a doddle.

If you want remote, take a look at St Kilda. It is the sort of place you would probably expect to see virgin police officers getting burnt in giant wicker-men.

I do target archery competitively. I am currently concentrating on the indoor distances in preparation for some major indoor competitions I have coming up. I have the British championships coming up in December and then in January I have the European Leg of the World Indoor Championships.

Shooting indoors is a lot harder than shooting outdoors in some ways. Outdoors you have other factors such as wind that can affect the shot in different ways. Indoors it is just you and it is your technique that affects the shot. Get something wrong and you can end up hitting an 8 or 9 instead of a 10. In indoor competitions it is difficult to come back from that.

I have done head to head Olympic style shoots and know from experience that these require you not only to concentrate and control the shot, but most importantly to focus on keeping your head. It is doing this I find meditating the most useful, it is keeping your arousal at a state where you are competitive, but not at a state that causes you to choke.

Don't worry about the interviewers being a bit cold towards you and also don't worry about the aptitude test being difficult either, they are designed to be tough.

If they don't give you the job, do ask them for feedback on the interview. This can give you a lot of insight into what they were looking for and how you performed. Harsh though this would sound, the candidate they pick would be the person who they feel would be best suited to the job and be prepared that this person may not be you. Listen to the feedback they give you and take it on board, I have found this had helped me a great deal.

Treat each interview as a practice run for the next. Eventually you will get that interview where somebody will offer you the job.

You can pretty much work out the sort of things that they will ask you by looking at the job description. They will probably also ask you why you want the job and to tell them about yourself.

As for asking questions, a clever one I have used in the past is to ask the interviewers about what they like about working there. An interview is a two way process so asking those questions are a good opportunity for you to find out if this job really is for you.

Another thing, do your homework about the organisation. Find out all you can before you go into the interview, it may help you come up with questions you would like to ask them.

My first computer was an Amiga 500 with a whopping great big 512kb of RAM, which was later upgraded to 1Mb.

At the same time I was using the BBC micro-computer at school. It was my first dip into computer programming.

If you are developing with wordpress and want to keep the development site separate from your production site, your best bet would be to look at installing a LAMP (MAMP if you are using a mac) server on your computer. This will give you the MySQL databases and PHP functionality that you will need to drive wordpress.

One that I use a lot and find quite useful is XAMPP: http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

People who can't seem to grasp a simple request. A good example is this, when sending out details about how to return faulty goods we request customers to remove the batteries. Say for instance customer number 1 sends in a product that is potentially faulty and I test it, only to find out that it seemingly works ok, however customer number 2 has sent in the same type of product but has forgot to remove the batteries, so is sitting in its parcel emitting a signal that is interfering with customer number 1's product. I then open customer number 2's parcel only to find that they have left the batteries in. I then have to repeat customer number 1's test as a result, delaying the turn around and also getting an irate customer number 1.

I did a few hours beach cleaning once. The amount of rubbish I collected is just simply staggering. Most of the rubbish is flotsam and jetsam. A lot of it is also rubbish that people have just dumped into rivers and has made its way out to sea. Occasionally you get the odd dead thing. No wonder you felt depressed Noctula after doing that little bit.

My housemate (the druggy one) he's such a selfish lazy twat. He got a job as a charity fund raiser, but now he's decided that he doesnt want to be a "wage slave" and has stopped going in so he'll get fired and he can go back to living off benifits...

Although when he tries to claim and the jobcentre learn that he got fired due to not having turned up, they will probably sanction him.

You would probably find most people will tend to fixate on the negative more than the positive. It is how our brains have been hard wired and is a survival mechanism. Fixating on the negative allows us to focus on the threats around us and keep ourselves safe. It is known as negativity bias.

For instance there have been incidents where I have had to administer first aid, everything I did was textbook. However, in hindsight I get those niggling doubts about other things I should have done. Not having a time machine to hand, that event is all water under the bridge so I need to let it go. One of the things I do to help me let go is to talk to my mum about it, secondly in my mind I treat those thoughts as a debriefing exercise and hopefully learn something that can help if I come across a similar situation the next time.

I think the trick is to be ok with the idea that it is ok to have negative thoughts about things, but to not let those negative thoughts run away with themselves. Think of a way of turning that negative into a positive. If you feel that a thought is beginning to run away with you, you can learn to park that thought and perhaps deal with it another time. A good way of doing this is to get a box, some paper and a pen. When ever you get a thought you want to park, write it down and put it in the box and move on to do something else.

Something else to think about, try not to use won't instead of can't. If you use can't, back it up with a valid reason. I have met lots of people who get stuck into a rut because they believe they can't do something. When asked to give a valid reason, they can't because in reality they don't have one.