Posts by Jason

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

As I have not been on the road for a few years does anyone know if it's still possible to get away with living in a double decker on the road ? I have a major hankering to live back in the late 80s in either a hippo, RL or buy and convert a bristol half cab decker I know of! What do you lovely people think

Used to drive a big petrol Scammel tank recovery vehicle for a living. Reckon I could pull near a 100 tons with that thing but fuel costs, jeez, they used to give me a roll of Green Shield stamps each time we filled up. 200 gallons if I re-call correctly. 4 miles a gallon and 2 1/2 when pulling. Big, horrible Meadows engine, we converted to 6 cyl Gardiner eventually. Couple of my oppos here have got Bedfords, RL and MK, a matador, mandator and a diamond T.

i have a friend with 3 diamonds they are fabulous devices. where are you based roughly

My favourite vehicle was the hippo nice size in the back runs on heating oil and very reliable I sold two and one got broken up for parts at monkton Farleigh site the rear body is still there and the other went off down to carlucet in Spain and eventually got burnt out!! I also built a blim onto an RL with a snow plough blade on the front but never got out on the road and it was petrol!! I just love anything mechanical and making things work that shouldn't! It's nice to have all the hellos and to know that there are still people on there that remember

I live in deepest Somerset and used to buy and sell and convert ex army lorries and sell them to travellers lots of Q4s and K9s and the odd number and hippo

Should be humber

There are lots of vehicles I owned on traveller Dave's site!! Hippo commer k9 etc etc it's a buzz looking on there and remembering !! Thirstiest thing I had was a petrol scammell explorer with a rubbery Owen trailer 3 gallons to the mile!!!

I live in deepest Somerset and used to buy and sell and convert ex army lorries and sell them to travellers lots of Q4s and K9s and the odd number and hippo