Posts by Milo

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

[link removed - you're welcome to post your photos on here, but please don't use the forum simply to promote off-site material]

Thanx, Sensi. I'm trying quite hard not to be angry about the above message. Call me a "forum whore" if you like, but on various forums I've posted this (here removed), link, and over the years many, many other links to my photographs and never has anyone ever even hinted that they didn't want me to do that. I've never received anything other than positive responses and fail to understand why members of UKhippy should be prevented from seeing, and enjoying, my images.

Afterthought: I don't know how widely available Taylor's coffees might be - we get ours from an EH Booths store about 200m away from our front door - but surely I'll be sticking with this brand and making our coffee drinks just as easily as anyone who chooses to use the milk of poor cows.

Well, thank you, but you won't be surprised to hear that over long periods of time I'd tried both those methods on many occasions with less than reliable results.

It's not so much the coffee brand, more about temperatures. We always heat the soya milk and don't put it in super hot coffee, works every time, no matter the brand.

Well, quite possibly you've more patience than I have - I got fed up with heating the milk and gaining no advantage from doing so. I've read that the cause of the curdling is the acidity of the coffee, the effect of which is very probably increased by high temperature.

18mths ago we bought a Joyoung soya milk maker similar to this one and we use Suma's organic soya beans. It makes very inexpensive organic soya milk, and you can make tofu with it too. (I've done it once, but I think I need to try a different coagulating agent).

And as for coffee and soya milk "curdling", well, I drink it black, but we've found a coffee that very reliably doesn't cause curdling, it's Taylors of Harrogate's Fairtrade Organic Ground Coffee, rated 3, in a turquoise-ish packet.

And some people, some of them intelligent, (seem to) like to argue and to (appear to) disagree because they enjoy taking, or appearing to take, an opposing view. Sometimes to some people (appearing to be) winning an argument becomes more important than the argument.

This is where vegans become self-righteous. The exploited worker who made your computer didn't have a choice. The animals killed to exploit the natural resources to provide the materials didn't have a choice. The animals that died due to the pollution created by the production of oil to provide the electricity didn't have a choice. Yes, it's harder to avoid using these things, but you still have a choice. The line that many vegans choose to draw - the line that apparently makes them superior to everyone else - is a conveniently arbitrary line, drawn where it suits them. That's what makes vegans elitist - not the assertion that dairy production is cruel and best avoided.

Should I be offended by your "This is where vegans become self-righteous". It seems you were more than implying that I, an "almost-vegan", and other vegans are afflicted with self-righteousness.

Well, clearly there's a risk that one might be perceived in that way. Perhaps the only alternative is for vegans never to talk about veganism, about not harming animals, livestock farming's impact on the environment, etc., but I'm just thinking about how much progress the Dallai Lama has made after 50 years of humility.

Amongst my absolute certainties is that maintaining a vegan diet is a very good way to cause very significantly less harm to the planet - an omnivorous person who exactly mirrored my lifestyle in every aspect but diet, would have vastly more negative impact on the environment and sentient beings within it. Diet is a situation where choice can be quite easily applied, but it feels a little as if you're aiming to devalue the vegan choice.

Quote from Milo

(Putting aside history and traditions because this is now), I do honestly think that there is an almost universal right diet, perhaps call it a regional right diet, because we can't quite expect yak herds or Esquimaux (love the spelling!) to maintain an animal-free diet.

Milo - its about choice. Those people have to do what they do to survive.

I understand that yak herders and similar folks do what they do to survive (which is why I made that "clause"), and never even in my most radical daydreams did I consider any modern "Clearances" as a valid action.

So your point about "choice",,,,, Would you expand that a little? While I'll just point out (unnecessarily) that neither farmed nor wild animals are given choice.

I have done one of those pictures with night time traffic in it. I could just open up the aperture and use the fastest shutter speed that I can given the light conditions. You would just get stationary cars sitting at a junction, the picture would be boring to look at. But, if I close the aperture down and hold the shutter open for about 5 minutes I would get lines of traffic that convey movement, the whole idea that people are going somewhere with the emotion that goes with it.

Surely, and I like those moving headlights type shots, but I much prefer waterfalls to custardfalls because I've never seen custardfalls.

I believe I am doing the 'right' thing... but I don't feel there is a universal 'right' thing, and even if I did... I'm not sure that would equate to being a superior human being. Because we are complex, the universe is complex and personally I just can't reconcile that with such a basic 'better than vs worse than' worldview.

(Putting aside history and traditions because this is now), I do honestly think that there is an almost universal right diet, perhaps call it a regional right diet, because we can't quite expect yak herds or Esquimaux (love the spelling!) to maintain an animal-free diet.

This is by my friend, a very skilful photographer. I think of it as a photographer-type shot. I don't like it. The frozen-blur thing seems to me to be an old-fashioned device and in my clumsy and ill-informed, I'm sure, opinion, this image is already too far removed from the real.

....deliberately either seeking to eat meat or avoiding it could both be seen as divergence from a middleway; where you would eat what you come across so long as it is edible....otherwise it indicates an attachment to a perticular stance.

Hmm, mm, understood. But seriously, (as ever!), what use is the middle way to a (sentient) sheep about to be killed so as to provide, etc?

If the cleaner at your Labour MP's constituency office votes Labour but fiddles the figures for hours of cleaning work completed, that's not such a huge big deal perhaps, even if loads of other MPs' cleaners did the same. But if the Prime Minister were to submit false claims, that would be a very big deal. Even if his doctor had told him to.

Those are, as far as I am aware, Mahayana precepts and not Theravada ones. "Buddhism" is not a single entity; no more than "Christianity" is or "Islam" is.

Small deal? Big issue.

Quote from winter

It would appear that you have not studied much Buddhism and you are just having a go at a public figure who does not fit your view of the world

Studied Buddhism? I've read a few books, is all. And I've learned that even Sir Paul McC has difficulty getting through when he writes a letter direct, so I'm not going to use a hippy forum in the UK to "have a go at" HHDL. I have very considerable, but clearly not total respect for the man, and have had ever since my teenage years.

I doubt I'm any less entitiled than anyone else to have a little go at organisations which have policies I don't respect, or at organisations I might generally respect even though they don't adhere to certain policies. Our government, other governments, the Christian church, Islam, Judaism - should I be discouraged from pointing out and trying to discuss apparent flaws in their reasoning and its applications?

My "view[s] of the world" almost always start out idealised. I see very little point in starting anywhere else.

Quote from princesstigermouse

Uma's a vegan, you know ;)

Yes, thank you. I remember. I think I previously annoyed her. I note she highlights "Do not be ignorant" (Winter selected others) but both chose to make no comment as to how not applying Do not kill and Do not be greedy might fit in with the avoidance of causing suffering to sentient beings which are unnecessarily turned into food for humans.

So, "Do not be ignorant", does that refer to amounts of knowledge, to good manners, or to both? Might issues of style seem to be even more important than content, when(ever) the content is contentious?

While we might risk causing a little annoyance to each other as we (perhaps) give uncritical support to HHDL and perhaps to the belief systems of other peoples, to what extent might our applications of tolerance and good manners towards each other be of any (damn) use in reducing avoidable harm to sentient beings?

If you ever see anything which interests you being offered for sale by an old bloke in Morley, Leeds, don't touch it. He's an almost legendary swindling toad of the first order and sold me a faked-up Raleigh Summatorother which I was buying for my old dad.

This is an HR Bates (he was EG Bates' brother) BAR, from 1940, and at the time, it was just about the best bike in the world. Doesn't have the curly stays like a Hetchins, but check out the Diadrant fork, and look closely at the main tubes - they're thicker in the middle than at the ends. It was called Cantiflex, and Bates had them specially drawn by Reynolds tubing.

When I was fourteen my dad gave me his taper-tubed Granby, (but first he had it resprayed, unfortunately nothing like the original black with silver and gold detail). The chain stays were almost square in section, I remember, and a single down tube (some Granby's had a twin tube construction). It had been a track bike, of course, but Mafac brazed-on centre-pulls had been added and for me a Campag 5-speed. It had very wide and deep drop handlebars in sort of bakelite-coated steel.

Later I used it with a S/A (I do hate jargon!), three-speed fixed hub gear.

Eventually I crashed into a hedge, bent the forks, almost got them back in line but I'd camelled the top tube too. In the 80s a sea water flood finished it off.

There is absolutely nothing in Buddhism that says you should be a vegetarian.

Which is quite spectacularly bloody convenient for any Buddhist-ish person who might have determined to avoidably cause suffering to sentient beings, or have others cause suffering on a Buddhist-ish person's behalf, as a result of a Buddhist-ish person's unnecessarily consuming meat and dairy products......

Wake up and smell the unfairly traded coffee?

• Do not kill
    • Do not steal
    • Do not be greedy
    • Do not tell a lie
    • Do not be ignorant
    • Do not talk about others’ faults
    • Do not elevate yourself by criticizing others
    • Do not be stingy
    • Do not get angry
    • Do not speak ill of the Three Treasures