Posts by cjl_90

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

My husband and I are currently living full time in a bus we finished converting at the end of last year.

We’ve managed to find a campsite owner who’s letting us stay on his site for the foreseeable future but wondered if anyone might know or have a bit land they’d be interested in renting out near the Bristol area to bring themselves in some regular, extra dollar?

I work in Bristol daily so needs to be commutable but the more rural the better with access to water and electric - anyone know of anything/any where?

Hello folks

Does anyone have experience/knowledge around whether it would be possible in the UK to buy land and offer it occasionally as a humanist wedding venue?

My fiance and I have struggled to find the type of wedding venue we would like and so have thought about offering it ourselves.

We would buy land/woodland and offer some kind of mobile 'venue' (along the lines of a tipi or similar) for a handful of weekends in the year (within the 28 day rule).

Would that be possible? Or would it be shut down at the first hint of a wedding/reception?

If weddings were out the picture, we'd also be interested in setting up a tiny, eco-friendly campsite, again for just a teeny portion of the year.

I'm just working out worst case scenario if we had to spend every single day on a relatively expensive campsite (this wouldn't happen, but good to work it out this way first I spose) and we more than halve our bills! What a dream [panic] Why didn't we do this years ago?!

Have you considered putting an advert on Diggers and Dreamers free noticeboard?

Have never heard of it - will give it a whirl now. Thanks very much! :)

Have to admit, I thought we wouldn't get any replies to our post - it's been so nice to get advice and ideas. Thanks all! Can't wait to start our adventure. Did anyone see George Clark's amazing spaces with the double decker bus? Watched it last night and feeling inspired.

We've also started looking at staying at residential campsites. We wouldn't mind moving around these if they are in the vicinity of Bristol for the time being. Is anyone doing that? And then we can always go off to our own land when we fancy. This would give us a chance to iron out any issues with the conversion as well, somewhere where there is fixed electric and water.

If your able to keep the bus roadworthy (I know it's a big ask) then the local authorities shouldn't be able to touch you.

Why is that?

We're hoping to also use it for travelling, so it will be roadworthy. We've currently got a lovely VW Crafter which we converted last year and absolutely love. It's great fun! My other half is a builder/decorator and will carry on working for the time being - he loves his job, unlike me!

Found this on woodlands.co.uk

In our recent survey of about 150 owners of small woodlands, we found that about half had installed some shelter or storage in their woodland. It is also possible to bring a mobile caravan into your woodland and use it for storage, and if you like for overnight stays. There is no need to apply for permission beforehand, but you may not be allowed by the local authority to leave it there permanently, and there is a regulation that you are not allowed to sleep there more than 28 nights in the year. If you are doing a lot of work, and need to stay more than that, you can get permission to do so as a “seasonal worker”.

So technically, we're allowed to bring a caravan (or bus perhaps...) onto the land, we're allowed to stay on it for up to 28 days a year....so if someone did happen to stumble upon us and report us, the council would need to prove we'd outstayed our 28-day welcome? Although the woods would be our base ultimately, we love wild camping and the bus will truly be our home on wheels, so we could easily move along and come back... I'm desperately trying to make this viable aren't I?
    :o

haha this is very true - didn't think of that!! That would really quite disappointing to find after building such nice chairs in it ;)

I suppose it being 'our' land doesn't really mean much in the scheme of things does it. There's nothing to stop any one passing through it :(

Thanks all so much for your advice so far. It's great to talk to like-minded people as so far we have kept this to ourselves.

Also, probably worth saying we're not planning on doing this forever. The idea is maybe 2 years in the woods and then to buy our own small holding (although have a feeling we will probably love the woodland life by that point!). Originally we were thinking more along the lines of a building our own tiny timber house or similar, but thought that might be deemed 'too permanent' if ever seen, whereas at least the bus is ultimately moveable and also we can go off travelling when we have the time.

What do you reckon? Would you just go for it and risk it? We thought initially we could put the bus on the land (while we still have somewhere else to stay), cover it up as best we can and see if anyone picks up on it after a few months.

Yes they're our biggest concern too. i think we'll be pretty lucky to find the ideal land that's remote enough to not be stumbled upon. Going to be a bit of a wait. I did read somewhere about if a dog walker did see you, they would have to come back every single day (technically trespass on your land) and photograph you being there every day for 28 days in order to prove you've outstayed your 28 camping allowance. Any truth in that?

Don't suppose anyone's got any ideas on how to camouflage a single decker bus have they 😂 It sounds mad when i say it out loud but we're so excited and that fed up we just want to take the risk!

Ah thanks so much all! We've been racking our brains how we can get out the rat race and live in the countryside on a relatively limited budget. There always seems to be restrictions at every turn. But then I think all the people who are inspiring us to do this took risks so hey! Here we go!

Making it as 'green' as possible in every sense of the word is definitely a priority. I can imagine us trying it though and someone complaining first week - that would be our luck!

My partner and I are looking at buying our own land/woodland. We're looking at about 3-4 acres, somewhere remote where you're hidden away and people don't pass through.

Question is - we want to live there in a converted bus. Is this possible? I know it's 100% not allowed, but is it do-able? Is it worth giving it a go? I'm not sure what the chances are of anyone finding out if we're tucked away on our own bit of land that no one goes on?

All advice/first hand experience gladly welcomed :)