Posts by Boaty McBoatface

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

I was wandering through a carpark with an ex I broke up with 15 years ago -- in this dream she was still my girlfriend. For some reason I accidentally called her with a previous exes name! :o

Reminds me of a poem I heard on the radio;

I loved Natasha,

After a fashion,

She might have loved me truly,

If only, at the height of passion,

I hadn't called her Julie...

Don't underestimate the sea. When my lads were young I was walking with them along the top of some volcanic rocks near the beach in Tenerife, a freak wave came over the dry rocks and would have pulled them both in if I hadn't got a good grip on both their arms in time. Totally my fault, I had no idea a freak wave could appear like that. I felt their weight as their legs were swept out from under them. That was scary, at the time I was physically very strong, that helped a lot, but it scared me.

Just a normal fan like the one in the pic. It's jammed into the end of a piece of square trunking which is horizontal, the trunking is tack welded to a vertical round stainless tube, must be around 6" diameter, and that goes up to an old stainless sink which had the plug hole enlarged and covered by a steel dome with holes drilled in it. Imagine the end of a watering can. I've arranged thin firebricks around the sides of the sink, as it got quite hot. The bottom of the sink doesn't get too hot.

I'll get a photo next time I'm down the barn.

I use a 12v PC cooling fan on my forge, it's plenty powerful enough. It's the 5 inch case fan, not the diddy little CPU fan. I use the forge outside, so as not to fill the barn with smoke, so use a small 12v car battery which lasts for days.

Old files are good to make knives from, they are high carbon steel and in a convenient shape / size. When wombling steel for cutting tools, it's easiest to choose something that was originally a cutting tool - old shears, files, flymo blades etc. Tough steels like those used on drive shafts are lower carbon alloy steels, they will harden enough to make a reasonable blade, but not a razor sharp one. I have had reasonable results from old spanners, but the shape is not so good and the steel not so predictable as a file. The chrome-vanadium of spanner steel takes a nice polish and is less affected by corrosion than file steel, but never gets quite as hard.

Bear in mind that some sets you see on ebay that have a 3 phase plug on may be single phase just using one phase and neutral as that was the socket they had on the farm / workshop. Always worth asking for a photo of the plate showing voltage requirements as the appearance of a three phase plug in a picture will put a lot of buyers off, and may make the seller mis-list it.

I got a cheap hacksaw that way as the listing had a 16a 3 phase plug shown.

Good tip Rick !

MIG is the king for high speed production stuff. Really good. TIG is very controllable, great for arty stuff, best quality, low volume, versatile.

I use an AC/DC +HF TIG, allows me to weld anything I need to, carbon steel, aluminium, stainless etc, but although very controllable it's very slow compared to MIG.

Whilst TIG is capable of superb quality, in most cases a MIG welder can produce welds of very near quality three times as fast and a lot cheaper. I've had my ass kicked by a guy with a MIG welder who knew what he was doing.

On the other hand, TIG is easier for the occasional welder to produce good welds with.

Personally I wouldn't risk building a house on it, you have too much to lose if the rightful owner turns up. However, if you really think the land is forgotten, you could move your van onto it, put up a load of chickenwire and keep poultry. Khaki Campbell ducks need little water, won't fly away, and are extremely good at laying delicious eggs. I'm sure the locals will appreciate some cheap eggs (trust me, with a dozen KC ducks you'll have more than you can eat). Perhaps, with a regular cheap egg supplier the locals will warm to the "Hippy Family" up the road and refrain from stirring the shit, especially if you tell them that your great uncle left the land to you. Best case is an adverse possession after some years. Worst case, you pack up your birds and fence and find somewhere else.

Does that 68p per litre include road tax ? Is it the price people pay for LPG cars ?

I'm curious because my bulk-fill deliveries of propane from Calor cost about 53p a litre. In fairness, the deliveries are normally about 800 litres.

What's the point in surviving if those you love are dead ? I'm a "prepper", but not for my own sake. I'd be happy to perish if my preparations kept my family safe, hopefully that won't happen, but if the fruit trees I planted feed my grandchildren I'll be happy.

I have a separate compost bin for any crap the dogs leave near the house. At one time I was collecting it in bio-degradable poobags, but after some years they are still visible in the bin - turns out that like a lot of "bio-degradable" bags, they take decades, so not using them any more. I won't be using the "compost", it's just a place to put the poo to stop anything treading in it.

Incidentally, left alone, slugs will make short work of a dog-poo.

Another vote for the excellent Morakniv. I've got a few and use them all the time, the cheap carbon steel version takes all kinds of abuse and stays pretty sharp. The moulded plastic sheathes are safe and secure, the handles don't get slippery when covered in blood. I also like the stainless "craftline" type, a bit more delicate edge but you can leave them in your shooting bag and forget about them without them turning into a pile of rust. I've butchered a pig with a Mora, and it wasn't bad at it.

Regarding hunting with air rifles, and mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm a firm believer that an accurate shot is much more important than adding a few extra foot pounds of power. Even the lowly 22LR rimfire makes 100 ft/lbs with sub-sonic ammunition, so the 12 ft/lb of a UK legal air rifle is puny by comparison. However, the air rifle is cheap, reliable, available, and effective if you recognise the limits. Personally, I wouldn't risk ruining the accuracy of a perfectly good rifle by "dieseling" it, when the standard sub 12 ft/lb will happily kill rabbits, pigeons, hares, squirrels, pheasants etc., etc all day long.

I own a fair selection of firearms, rifles from .17 to .308 and numerous shotguns, but the last gun I will ever part with will be an air rifle - they really are such a useful tool.

The best thing about an air rifle ? You can practice with it almost anywhere for minimal cost. Practice, and the resulting competence, plus good fieldcraft, will put more meat in your bag than anything else.