Posts by realnutter

ill see if i can find it and scan it, ive got nearly a complete set minus a couple of the last ones. If you can come up with an issue number or even a year it'd help..

No chance! I think I had them all, but sold them to a mad Austrian from ratbike.org years ago....

Do you remember those three or four unbodied reliants from the rat and survival 2006 ish, if i had the room id love one of them! I had some pics on my old pc till the hdd died..

I remember a really old issue of AWOL that had a Reliant trike with a roll cage - well, a sort of pyramid-y structure - over a central bucket seat.. I think it might have had a V8 Rover engine as well... I loved that machine!!!!

What sort of money is the proper kit? If you can pay for it with a weeks work on a van or something then to be honest i think id go for the ready made option too.

500 notes, or a grand fitted... an easy weeks work on something I know, to buy something I need to learn how to do....

Nice thinking... I could run vacuum to the back of Nora, but not sure how the vacuum pump on Nora's alternator (yes really!) would cope under braking.. I guess I could add an extra reservoir, but Mr MOT might complain.... Also, a simple switch on the overrun lever wouldn't give proportional braking......

If I was going to do this myself, I'd take a vacuum pump from a small diesel, and spin it with an electric motor, to provide vacuum to the car's servo... The actuator to push the pedal down would ideally be a linear actuator, probably only need 10lbs of push to do the job... I'd have to do some research on that bit...

I've already interfaced an Arduino to an accelerometer, but that was doing shock detection... My code may need to improve to work with sub 1G levels of force!!

Or I could save shit-loads of time and effort, and just buy the kit, and install it myself...

The company selling it claims that despite a-frames being illegal in parts of Europe, no-one has ever been prosecuted for using it, because they can prove that their towed car constitutes a trailer, and fulfils all the requirements of a trailer....

If you're into boats, and watching a community coming together check out SVSeeker on YouTube...

Doug started building a 60 foot steel sailing boat about 7 years ago, on his own... He now gets people flying in from all over America, and the world to help out.... Fascinating to watch the boat develop, as well as how viewer's enthusiasm for his project had grown too...

Current law seems to be thus...

1: If your trailer is under 750kg, it doesn't need brakes (no change there).

2: If your trailer has brakes (regardless of weight) they must work as designed.

3: Your a-framed car is a trailer.

4: Therefore it's brakes must work as designed (by the car manufacturer). ie proportionately on front and back wheels.

5: If your car's brakes are servo assisted while driving, they must be servo assisted while towing, or they're not working as designed....

6: Your trailer's brakes must not engage when going backwards.

Soooooooooo....

The best towing kit uses the brake light feed from the towing vehicle, and an accelerometer to determine that you are braking, and mechanically pushes the brake pedal down, to apply the towed car's brakes... In cars with vacuum servo brakes, the kit includes an electric vacuum pump to keep the servo working. The accelerometer thinks going backwards is braking, but the brake lights aren't on, so the brakes aren't applied when you reverse.....

Needless to say, that little lot doesn't come cheap!! I can do most of it with an Arduino, but the actuator to depress the brake pedal might be an issue....

old version?

Friend had a smart car and pleased with it.

Nissan micra? What about a road legal quad?

It's what I can get an a-frame for... and original Fiat 500s are definitely not cheap!!!

Guy down the road from me has a little fiat 126 he drags about, says he's happy with it.

Lots of cheap micras about, timing chain, cheap spares..

Ditto 126s!

Micras are ok, I like the idea of a 3 cylinder engine though.. hence the baby Toyota on my list.... I had two 3 cylinder bikes, and loved them both....

I've got 1.5 or 2 tonnes to play with (I need to check my VIN plate, but GTW is either 5 or 5.5 tonnes).

But I'm only getting 26mpg, and don't want to reduce that much.. so the lighter the car the better....

I know it's normally the preserve of super motorhomes, but I'm considering getting a small car and tugging it around behind Nora on an a-frame....

Anyone done it??

The choice of cars is limited by price, and by which ones a-frames are available for... I was originally thinking a Smart, but ones I can afford seem to have problems.. So now the list seems to be Fiat Panda, Kia Piccanto or Toyota Aygo/Citroen C1/Peugeot 107...

Has anyone run one of these cars?