Posts by Rogue Trader

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

Hello cangaceiro, I’m a we bit concerned that if a few more members drop off from interacting with the forum. It’s not going to be a place of stimulus or activity. If fb works to get the words out. Parler provides a free speech place. Any and every other social media fills the gaps... then this place will be a club with fewer members than friends. I’m wondering if the alternative hippy home hasn’t mopped up those who grew up on here. If that’s the case, then fair play. It’s run it’s course and served it’s purpose. One can only try. Revisiting a forum to catch up with characters is something I would like to treasure. :)

21 Days. I see myself an hero, as cells increase decay. A time is fast approaching, my time to go and play. My fore life flashes feverishly

And lives I did not lead

Like the time I was a hero

Of a weird, outlandish breed

One arm of flesh and muscle

And one of feathered scale

I was hero with one wing

That was of no avail

I could only fly in circles

Like a corkscrew in the sky

My one wing flapping frantically

While birds just glided by

I launched myself from mountains

And from the highest trees

And though I could get nowhere

Just landed on my knees

But still I was a hero

With one wing more than most

Almost half an Angel;

A whirling Holy Ghost.

The slow death of a forum is never interesting. It’s not like we hadn’t anything to say anymore. Many of us just stopped talking, while others listened at another table. The Tribe become anorexic, without feeding our mindS, the Tribe was lost to memory......

Goodmorning hippy.
    made it through the remaining stew, good for you, don’t forget you’ve got to chew. :insane:

When I was about 14, I started wandering off into the pine plantations (forestry Commission land) by myself, just before dusk. I would rest my back up against a tree and sit for hours in the dark. I thought it would make me braver when being out alone in the countryside at night. Prior to this I had suffered terribly in my early teens with hay fever. It could get so bad that my eyes would gel over. This made summer days miserable for me. So from June onwards, I often went night fishing at a local lake or on the nearest river.
    My dad shared his theory, that only the living can hurt us. This helped me to change my view of the forest at night, by default I became comfortable in my own company and to this day, I never get lonely. I do however miss not speaking/communicating with another human. I think that’s what I like about this forum. There’s usually someone to come out into the light or dark if I wait long enough. :)

I left school to become a underground electrician (nothing cagey, a coal mining electrician) within a year 1982/3 I had surpassed most of the qualified electricians working at the colliery with knowledge of modern electronics. They knew all about cables and switch types. Buzz bars and dangerous voltages, all the heavy stuff, etc. But it was a time of change. On the job diagnostics were becoming redundant. Instead of working out the problem and fixing/bodged job. It was locate panel remove “Slot in circuit board” and place It in a envelope. Send upstairs for replacement. At 18 I went to night school every Wednesday, to learn about computers and the interaction with us humans on the job.

It’s never too late to learn something, but it takes a lifetime with electronics to learn enough to cover all bases.

I well remember trying to mentally get inside a wooden chair once, after a smoke, when I was younger. What it felt like to be a chair, painted red, living in a kitchen... kind of stiff and rigid, only feeling useful when someone sat in you, and time going interminably slowly, and being lonely for long periods when everyone was out the house....:D

Wow really heavy man! I’m not sure if I would like tripping with you or not :D something as ordinary as a kitchen chair could end up taking the whole day up. But I would be asking for some of the stuff you’d bIn smokin.. :)

Santo Daime church and drinking a brew made of Banisteriopsis Caapi and Psycotria Viridis.

Funny enough, Ive been hanging around an amazingly old Walnut tree for the last 4 days. I recon it must be going on 300 year old. This afternoon I got the urge to drop a trip under this tree, as if it had something to “tell me.” Strange you should point me in the direction of plant teachers.

kin ell, I would need a outboard motor poking out my arse or someone trying to kill me.

Taken from today’s news feed ~ honest.

Cold water swimming: Why an icy dip is good for your mental and physical health

Many people swear by the benefits of cold water swimming, and scientists think that they might be on to something.

Itinerant child’s legs ache with cold as he pushes forwards into the messy grey sea, grey sand stretching behind him, grey sky above. He braces himself against each incoming wave, the wind whipping at his exposed skin. This is the chilling reality of cold water swimming.

His local beach, hippydom, on the western coast of the Neverlands, is a wide expanse of sand running uninterrupted beside the North Sea. It’s July, and the sea temperature is about -6°C. In the water, Intinerant childs skin temperature drops instantly, and after a few minutes, his muscles start to cool, stiffening like chewing gum.

His swim is short in reality, he often swims 40 mile there and back, and warming up takes hours, if he hasn’t been wooding, but he’s elated to be there.

“I was jumping around, shrieking like a schoolboy,” he says, remembering his first taste of cold water swimming. Itinerant childs needed the boost, as three months before, after suffering a personal trauma, drinking far too much and too often, he’d sunk into severe depression.

In the UK, where Itinerant child is originally from, researchers are looking into the scientific benefits of cold water swimming for people who are experiencing mental health problems, such as anxiety and depression.

They’re dipping volunteers into troughs of frigid water in labs, and leading groups into the water beside Brighton Pier. And they’re discovering that cold water immersion can prime you, mentally and physically, to better deal with any stress that might come your way.

How swimming in cold water shocks the body

One man who’s leading the research into cold water swimming is Prof Mike Tipton, an environmental physiologist at the University of Portsmouth. An open water swimmer himself, he studies how people react to sudden immersion.

He says that the mood benefits of cold water swimming can be divided into two phases: the initial ‘cold shock’ response, and then adaptation that happens over the longer term.

If you’ve ever taken a wintry dip, you’ll recognise cold water shock. First, you gasp involuntarily, then hyperventilate. Adrenaline courses through your body. Your heart races. You panic. Although you can’t sense it, your blood pressure is skyrocketing, and glucose and fats are being released into your bloodstream, providing an energy source should you need to make a quick escape. This is the classic ‘fight-or-flight’ response.

This adaptation makes you less reactive to the shock of cold water, but could also make you less reactive to stress

Cortisol, a stress hormone, is released from your adrenal glands, which maintains this state for minutes to hours, while a surge of beta-endorphin hormones in the brain provides pain relief and gives a sense of euphoria. This explains Itinerant chils post-swim high, which felt so good that he and his friend made it a ritual. Every Sunday, they rode their bikes to the beach to go for a dip.

In Prison pond, Titinglips puts his volunteers through a formalised version of Itinerant child’s weekly dips to measure how they adapt to cold shock. He sits his volunteers in a hanging chair, lowers them into a trough of water at 12°C, and keeps them there for about five minutes.

Tipton notes that it only takes six immersions to halve the cold water shock response. In other words, your body learns to adapt: your heart and breathing rates only rise half as much, you panic less and you can control your breathing. This adaptation makes you less reactive to the shock of cold water, but it could also make you less reactive to everyday stress.

Of course, don’t confuse cold water swimming with hygiene, it’s not the same you crusty bastards.

Huge hugs to you Steve,I hope that your suffering lessens greatly and that the next 27 days are a peaceful and pain free time for you,as well as the rest of your life following it :-)

When I used to have horrendous tooth-ache back in my full on dancing days I found that a line of MDMA tended to take the pain and the suffering away,though I am led to believe that nurofen is a bit cheaper :flirt:

it’s been loads easier today thankfully. Toothache is a awful pain. its in your head and we all need to eat at some point. I can’t imagine how hard it Once was without dentists.
    nurofen. That made me laugh... I counted 12 frigging awesome bruises on my legs two days ago. Me and our little girl have a ongoing competition... “who has the least cuts, scrapes and bruises.” The one with the lowest number obviously wins. I counted twelve blue/purple bruises, bigger than a 2 pence piece on my legs. My painkillers are so strong, that I don’t notice the nocks and bumps to my legs or any other limb. But the painkillers (Fentanyl) needs to be strong, to ease up daily back pain and so I can remain mobile or even just comfortable. When the painkillers don’t work, I’m f**ked and it takes it out of me mentally.

Lyndsey says MDMA helps her get over her fibromyalgia. I just like it as a dance drug, but I rarely get the chance to dance. :)

And now ?

27 Days & in all honesty....

if it was my last fucking day in this painful body..

I wouldn’t give a fooook If it didn’t see day 26..

Since 3.30 a.m. I’ve been laid in agony.. I've now been rescued with a Fentanyl hit & hot water bottle.

Let’s see if these days/nights, can get any easier.

Onwards & Upwards..

Rule Britannia.. it ain’t going to sink my ship. If I never never hurt again or get sick..

;)

No, Nada, But I would be delighted with all of the above except a new child. That would take some serious compromise for me personally, or fuck up/accident. If I were ten years younger, fitter and established, I would love another kid. Although I’m not convinced this would be appropriate given the direction I see humanity and the world is heading.

I used to think a 12 hour shift at work was tiring. Kids can easily, mentally burn me out. Struggling at times physically and having sole responsibility for a demanding child is nothing to take lightly.
    If we are the bow and our kids are the arrows we send forth. When Im crippled with back pain a crossbow can’t get them far enough away. :whistle:

part 3 of the whistleblower nurse is interesting. She tried to stop a junkie being tubed (ventilated) soon as she went off ward. They rushed to vent this junkie. Over night he woke up. Luckily for him. The sedation drugs that the hospital administer to keep vented patients still/quiet/complacent as well as (tying them to the bed) is to heavily sedate them with drugs like Fentanyl etc. This junkies tolerance was high, So when he woke up, he pulled the vent tube out himself and saved his own life. Worth watching.