Posts by Subgenre

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

Our postman makes an effort to deliver to the address we made up and puts mail in the postbox we just put up and wrote our address on. Long live the royal mail.

Lots Of 814 models have air doors rather than electric ones as they already have a compressor for the brake system.

If it's an electric door that's of its runners/has trouble connecting with its servo you should still be able to hear the servo running. In this case it's not the fuse but the problem is in between the door motor and the door. If nothing is moving then problem is likely to be electrical.
    Also a fair number of buses do have manual overrides to their doors for safety reasons, in case of smaller busses that might just be pulling them hard. Is there a panel or cubbyhole over the door?

We just had some people from Brighton visit our site, according to them it's starting to get enforced.

One of them was in the van (he's not the driver, his partner is) in Hollingbury park sleeping. He was woken up and told to shift out of the park up area in 15mins or they'd tow the van. When he pointed out that he can't legally drive as he's doing his licence at the moment and if he couldn't stay for 30mins for the driver to turn up they told him that that was his problem. Council types not the pigs. He chose to illegally shunt the van out of the affected area till his partner could come to collect the van.

Brighton has been the target of serious gentrification for a while now, used to be considerably nicer down there. Same game as in a lot of places, the council provides little or no actual services/sites as they are not legally obligated to do so any more whilst simultaneously legislating the travelling way out of existence. Once the laws have been passed it becomes really hard to fight as well. Pity, because this is going to spread I suspect. The council car park ain't on the list mind, maybe people could have a site there.

Because you were going on how there was no sites/traveller types left in Glastonbury.

The first Glos badgercull got me stopped quite a few times as I lived on a site in the cull zone in a ratty van and I look like the alternative kind.

the council were the problem around Glastonbury, they didn't like the homeless and the alternatives being seen around the place, they started hassling them and trying to drive them out, which they have now accomplished, everyone has moved on now, they have all gone, every single one, we go back several times a year but there is nobody around anymore, just the tourists and the ones playing at being hippies for the weekend.
    I do miss them all, they were good people.
    I spent 10 years of my life among the real alternative community.

then tell me where they are, maybe some of my friends are there and I can go visit them.
    it certainly wasn't in evidence when I was there a few weeks ago. there wasn't a single alternative on the streets of Glasto, just a few people playing at being weekend hippies.

then you are probably talking a load of bollocks and there are no traveller sites in or near Glastonbury, I lived there for 10 years and know where most are or were.
    the usual sites are at North Curry and around Bridgwater, there is one at High Ham if its still there and Tinkers Bubble which we visited many years ago.
    the drop in centre shut down in Glastonbury many years ago due to lack of funding and everyone moved on to Wells for awhile, many have moved on from there again, I know some that have gone to road protest sites elsewhere.

Well, if you know people that would be on there than go contact them, if you don't you don't need to know where site is.
    No idea why you accuse me of lying, if you have a hint of an idea about new traveller culture you'll understand why I don't point out the address of at best semi legal spaces to complete strangers on an open forum. Also why would I lie about it, there is nothing to be gained by lying.

the council were the problem around Glastonbury, they didn't like the homeless and the alternatives being seen around the place, they started hassling them and trying to drive them out, which they have now accomplished, everyone has moved on now, they have all gone, every single one, we go back several times a year but there is nobody around anymore, just the tourists and the ones playing at being hippies for the weekend.

then tell me where they are, maybe some of my friends are there and I can go visit them.
    it certainly wasn't in evidence when I was there a few weeks ago. there wasn't a single alternative on the streets of Glasto, just a few people playing at being weekend hippies.

And why in earth would i do that? I have no idea who you all I know is that you're an angry bloke on the internet.

I know for a fact that there is a large new traveller site in Glastonbury.
    And at least another small one.

Bernie seems rather afraid that poor people with different needs in life might crowd his canal and lacks the imagination to see, that people have different reasons and lifestyles to him.

I for one could do with canals without anyone who weekends or just holidays because people could use that space for living, but hey everyone gets to play if they want you.
    Why do you even care if someone on CC moved every 48 hours or every 96 or maybe even only once every 2 weeks?

Just because something is the "rules" doesn't make it right, as seen for example in the CJA wich effectively legislates travellers out of existence.

If one is sensible about proper installation there is nothing that should stop one from doing it oneself. It's not a gas installation after all.

I've written a long post on fire safety somewhere in this forum but because there is a new thread on the topic every other day I don't really bother writing out lots any more.

Fire alarm, CO alarm and a fire extinguisher should be in every living vehicle by the way.

As long as it isn't a windscreen house windows should be fine. I've used single pane 60 year old glass windows I found in a shed as well and they lived long enough (till my ex shot a brad nail through it when resealing it). Replaced it with a single sheet of polycarbonate in the same frame afterwards. I've also seen stained glass windows used, never heard of any problems.

Framed house windows might be a pain to fit in vans as there are no straight walls so you'll likely have to build a subframe (take into account vapour barriers etc. modern windows are quite the science) to get a good seal. Also double glazing is significantly heavier than polycarbonate van windows and single panes so if you're in a 3.5 ton that might be a problem.

Look, you can use Aluminium for the sheeting, but the metal sheet is a reflector not insulation.I f you are going to post things that are nonsense I shall correct t you if I know better. If you as aluminium isn't thermally conductive somebody might think, that they don't need a sufficient distance gap and just use a thin aluminium sheet. Somebody on the internet said it doesn't conduct heat after all.

In reality this means you can use gold (wich has amazing thermal conductivity) as a reflector sending back thermal radiation (one way heat gets transferred), the thermal barrier outside of reflection is still mainly done by the air gap. If you were to use 12 inches of aluminium as your insulation you'd be in trouble, don't you agree? There is a reason why a lot of heat sinks are made from aluminium.

Youre better off using aluminium sheet on top of vermiculite board to be honest,aluminium doesnt conduct heat.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252445637129

That is absolute and dangerous nonsense. In Fact aluminiums thermal conductivity is more than 4 times higher than that of steel. The difference is even greater with stainless steel. Aluminiums thermal conductivity is only bested by things like gold and copper.

The numbers change a bit once one starts using alloyed aluminium, the average aluminium alloy still conducts heat 2.5 times better than steel.

I'll spare you the tables of numbers but if your interested, most engineering databases have lists of thermal conductivity.

One of the least thermally conductive materials commonly available is air, so air gaps are your best bet. I'd go, if you want to be on the safe side: air gap 6" minimum, heat reflector (that would be your metal sheet) air gap or fireproof insulation, wall.

As long as you keep your gaps the choice of metal doesn't really matter that hard, a shiny surface is good. Take particular care if your insulation is not in any way fire resistant (polystyrene, extruded or expanded).

Flexible hose isn't rated for wood fires, it's a pain to clean, it's too thin and leaves funny burn marks on your arm if you accidentally touch it. I've seen it used as flu many times but it's never been ideal. Also the sloped joins in proper flue mean that potential creosote doesn't seep out if it gets washed gown your chimney, a problem people that use jubilee clips and flex pipe often face. Remember, breathing burning creosote gives you cancer, something nobody wants.

The living wagon in Glastonbury is quite expensive for the random pile of timber it is as it's been half rebuild by someone with an unknown skill level.

How do I get one of those Star things legally back to the UK and registered?