Posts by Subgenre

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

Used a strip of sardine tin recently to rebuild the switch plate of the cab tilt alarm switch on my mates Daf45.
    Only a Special Brew tin would have been more authentic.

I wouldn't get fixed on a specific make or model. I've seen decent Sprinters for £1500 and fucked LDV Convoy's for the same.
    Iveco daily cans have a reputation for rusting and I personally don't like the idea of a computer controlled engine. Electronics tend to die before mechanics so I'd personally stick with an older van.

So if I get a letter from my doctor my codein I can smoke as much opium as I like?
    Brilliant. :)

I reckon it had en electric bus door. Then are a nightmare for security and letting cold air in. If the house door was lying around, whuy not.

We've got a three families on site at the moment they respectively live in:

Single mum and three year old daughter: Iveco daily hightop lwb, they are in the process of getting a HGV licence as they find the van to small.

Single mum and two boys 10 and 5: 24ft Mercedes 814 Luton removals lorry, one of the bigger 7.5t you can get.

Parents and two daughters 3 and 5: 30ft Roma caravan which they are currently in the process of replacing with a Mercedes 1820 30ft Luton removals truck.

All of these vehicles are bigger than the one you're thinking of. Some by quite a margin. Especially if you're not living on a site where you can let the little one roam free kids need lots of indoor space. Winter is particularly important there. Inbetween the kitchen, a bed for the two of you and a burner there is practically no space for the little one to play, something she'll be doing a lot of in a year or two. I'd recommend getting a Luton 3.5 minimum if you want to full time it.

A 20lb bike, especially if made from steel is already really quite light. The Raleigh Team replica weighs pretty exactly that, and that's a full fledged, modernised steel racer. Old steel frames with old builds will not be in that category (professional old racing bikes will come close).

Sure ones own weight also matters, but a bike that doesn't weigh a bomb and runs nice makes the sport so much more enjoyable.

Well, I can outrun the odd roadie (by no means all of them on my steel tourer, on the Hardtail MTB (quite light at 11ishkg) I stand no chance just because of the tyres and Crankset-Sprocket Combo which is geared for climbing. Unless the roadie is having a flat or is having a break that is.
    I reckon weight reduction, especially rotational weight (tyres and wheels) makes sense to a point, it is just nicer to ride a 10kg roadbike than it is to ride a 20kg road bike. The way it tends to get done by the average MAMIL is a somewhat more useless undertaking. Read, changing your 70ies steel wheel set and punctureproof super heavy duty hybrid tyres for an alloy XT hubbed set with some nice road semislicks is affordable and makes sense for most people, changing your aluminium handlebars for titanium ones less so even though the handlebars will likely be more expensive.
    I'm kind of considering getting a gravel bike, I reckon the difference in weight and ride geometry is noticeable on the forest tracks.

What's your build?
    Wheels set would be a decent starting point. Thing is, when you start buying components one is often better off buying a newer second hand bike.

Anny decent 2.5l+ 4x4 will tow it So will most vans with reasonably sized engines. Just get extended mirrors. I see them being towed with Discoveries, Hiluxes, Land cruisers, Mitsubishi's.
    I'm not entirety sure why the width is problematic, a lot of trailers are about that size.

The best thing for the lad to do is to go to a surgery for the homeless for now(cracked but not broke ribs are painful but not the most dangerous thing in the world)they should be able to help/refer. If he's an EU national he'll be entitled to help by the NHS anyways. More often than not that's a communication issue.
    If he's lived in British for long enough to have worked here/has an address here he'll have an NI number. In this case this should suffice.

That's like saying you wouldn't hire a builder because you think their tools are of a too expensive brand. Surely if you make your living with your instrument this justifies having a vaguely decent one. Busking is a job, so why not do it with the correct tool.
    I understand that it's entirely your choice to give to a Busker, I just can't quite follow your logic. It seems you put buskers and beggars in the same place. I might be misunderstanding you though.