Posts by Clive Photo

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

A man after mt own heart. Nice to see a real mobile home.
    Can you tell us a bit about it? Did you buy it after someone had converted it for expedition? Any pics of inside? What does it weigh in at?

hi, yes I bought it off ebay. I wasn't after a truck like that but after looking at various motorhomes and investigating the possibility of converting a lwb hi-top Sprinter I saw this and it was just, yeah, that's the one.

It looked good inside but it needs a lot doing. The domestic batteries were shot and not properly positioned, the henry water heater is okay when on mains hookup but doesn't run on gas and wastes space and the gas fire inside is a good heater but has too many drawbacks. It uses a lot of gas, though I've fitted an LPG tank so it's not expensive, just a hassle finding Autogas, it produces moisture and the dog can't get the hang of staying away from it.

Apart from that it's not fast but it's great to drive and it can get to places most other vehicles will struggle to reach though of course height and width are against it sometimes.

Oh, and it weighs in at 9.3 tonnes at the moment with a MGV of 10.8.

I'll upload some internal pics later, all mine are too big for this site.

A man after mt own heart. Nice to see a real mobile home.
    Can you tell us a bit about it? Did you buy it after someone had converted it for expedition? Any pics of inside? What does it weigh in at?

hi, yes I bought it off ebay. I wasn't after a truck like that but after looking at various motorhomes and investigating the possibility of converting a lwb hi-top Sprinter I saw this and it was just, yeah, that's the one.

It looked good inside but it needs a lot doing. The domestic batteries were shot and not properly positioned, the henry water heater is okay when on mains hookup but doesn't run on gas and wastes space and the gas fire inside is a good heater but has too many drawbacks. It uses a lot of gas, though I've fitted an LPG tank so it's not expensive, just a hassle finding Autogas, it produces moisture and the dog can't get the hang of staying away from it.

Apart from that it's not fast but it's great to drive and it can get to places most other vehicles will struggle to reach though of course height and width are against it sometimes.

I'll upload some internal pics later, all mine are too big for this site.

The human brain is a pattern recognizing machine, millions of years of evolution keeping us out of the jaws of predators, coping with situations where harm might come to us.

Turns out it's better to run away from a spooky looking shadow than ignore subtle warning signs & end up eaten by something big & hungry, the niceties of civilization form a thin veneer over powerful instincts. Add to that the way our brains hang on to coincidences with meaning to us and quickly forget the rest and you have a recipe for life occasionally taking on the mantle of strangeness. Some people are more willing than others to make a lot out of very little and will ignore everything which doesn't agree with what they want to believe which boosts the effect & gives an appearance of outside forces guiding and directing.

I guess so long as it makes you happy and doesn't harm anyone else then why not?

The commoditization of confirmation bias. You want the secret you buy the DVD which takes you to the next level after you buy another DVD, go on a course and get some tuition. Every time you get something you want it's down to willing it into your life with the secret, not just getting up and doing something about it. Every time you don't it's not so much about making you blame yourself as suggesting you need a more advanced DVD/course/consultation. Ker-ching.

It's all clever stuff, throw in a bit of common sense robbed from real tried and tested systems, dress it up, throw in some mumbo which leads to the purchase of more products and there you have it. A money spinner for someone but rarely any of the punters who buy into it & those who do improve their lot would probably have done at least as well without it.

Paint me cynical and call me a sceptic but I like to think I know a con when I see one.

I have done it , mine started off life as a prisoner transport vehicle therefore a PSV.....l

I'm new to this kind of thing & I've just bought a DAF 4x4 with a habitation pod on the back. It's reclassified as a caravan on the V5 which is all well and good. I had hoped I could drive it on a normal licence, I've had mine long enough to have C1, C1+E etc but because it's apparently classified as over 7.5t gross weight I need to get a category C. Not a problem, just more expense and hassle, especially the ongoing costs of medical & what with my ticker not being what it was may not be as straightforward as I hope.

Reading the regs I see I can drive a minibus with 9-16 seats with my D1. Why is that of interest you may ask? Because there's no restriction on the weight of the vehicle with a D1.

Trouble is, what's the difference between a minibus and a truck apart from the seats? If I have enough seats in the habitation pod to take me into the 9-16 seat category then I'm not stuck with having to get an HGV, at least as far as I can see.

I also wonder if there's a way of having the vehicle replated so it's MAM is 7500 kg, I'm sure the truck won't weigh anything like that even with all the tanks full and a couple of well stuffed suit cases on board.

Any ideas out there?