Posts by andyinscotland

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

Perhaps re homeing is a good way to start - at least allowing the dog owner to consider an option - you do see dog re home charities sometime advise a specific dog is not used to young children -

Perhaps its a weigh up of the owner or those caring for the dog being aware of how the dog is. My neighbours have 3 dogs and one we all know is never left with youngsters.

It would be difficult to know and recognise any triggers to the dogs action. I would agree with emmadilemma.

I will save my trips for summer - but Lochnagar is wonderful.

--
    Hi - just looking around - somewhere to be - some folks to share with.
    In Scotland atm and hope to move on April 2014. Welcome ideas or invites.

I never did the hills in winter but lots do - I just love the mountains and sea. So many great places.
    ==
    In Scotland atm and hope to move on April 2014. Welcome ideas or invites

Went to see it today. We had some fun getting it started since it has been sat since may but a charge and a shogun tow start got it going. Engines spot on, lot of work to be done inside and minor damage to the fibre glass from silly reversing into a roof but I got it for 850 so am very pleased. Pick it up in the new year so will post more photos once it's been mot'd and brought home :)

hey all the best with the van/camper/stall/mobile shop - you need a name for it?

Yes Wurzel, but they're probably a bit shop-soiled, so you couldn't buy it as a gift for somebody.

Me too Trollspindle! It was from the 'Off-grid Living' Feckbook page, bless 'em. Trying to get off-gridders to spend all the money they've saved by not shovelling it at FroggyVolts or Bundeswater.

So weird to see how quick Mail readers are to judge people just because they don't live a DM Approved lifestyle. To think they control the opinions of millions is a little unnerving, and then that those people are eligible to vote.
    :sheep2::baa:

I would say it is a whole lot unnerving the DMoids controlled by the media.

I love marmite and you can add it to soups and stew - chilli etc

Not sure about my b levels but I did hear that lack of the B vits is one reason heavy drinkers have poor memory or blood flow around the brain.

So getting back to the original post -

Sorry Sam did not mean to sidetrack your thread.

I have a juice machine - so usually buy cheap bargain veg as they discount it at Tesco. 10p for a kilo of carrots or 20p for either cooked beetroot or raw. oranges and fruits I get as well. Just takes say half hour and I fill maybe 3 or 4 litre bottles.

some diy things up cycle furniture.

-----------------------

In Scotland atm and hope to move on April 2014. Welcome ideas.

Andy you may be able to settle this question for me. I believe that if you buy/own land in Scotland then you are able to live on it in a van or caravan etc. Am I correct? If so are there any restrictions?

Also with regard to the tourist thing I remember seeing a bloke who was van dwelling around the banks of Loch Ness who made his living selling little self made clay 'nessies' to the tourists.

Certainly a good question and I had not thought about some aspects so I checked

http://scotland.shelter.org.uk…ut_mobile_homes_and_sites

Note Shelter has sites for England and Scotland so this is the Scottish one.

Are there any sites which don't need licences?

Yes. A site doesn't need a licence or planning permission if:

• a caravan or mobile home is parked in the grounds of your home, provided it is only used for leisure purposes and nobody lives in it permanently
    • travelling caravans are parked on a site for no longer than two nights
    • the site is used by an exempted organisation such as the Boy Scouts, Girl Guides or Caravan Club
    • up to three mobile homes are stationed on undeveloped land of five acres or more, provided that they are there for no more than 28 days a year
    • agricultural land is being used temporarily as a caravan site by seasonal agriculture or forestry workers
    • mobile homes are stationed on or next to engineering or building sites, to provide accommodation for employees during the course of their work
    • the land is used by travelling showpeople, provided that they belong to an organisation recognised by Scottish Ministers and are either travelling as part of their business or are taking up winter quarter

Just what counts under say seasonal etc but it does give me some hope.

I guess with most folks there is a point in life when dreams can be followed - that might with the right partner, as life or focus changes. Maybe to a point where you want the dream more than what you already have, and are prepared to give up.

I hope everyone can at least try to get there - and I am trying to get there as well.

-------------

In Scotland atm and hope to move on April 2014. Welcome ideas or invites. There is a contact on my profile

Andy you may be able to settle this question for me. I believe that if you buy/own land in Scotland then you are able to live on it in a van or caravan etc. Am I correct? If so are there any restrictions?

Also with regard to the tourist thing I remember seeing a bloke who was van dwelling around the banks of Loch Ness who made his living selling little self made clay 'nessies' to the tourists.

I am not really certain of the restrictions - it may vary around the country with councils but you never know - buying land can be expensive - or you need someone willing to rent an acre or two. I am currently mailing farmers and other land owners to find land.

Other than that with a few people maybe even a land grab - must be somewhere -

Depends what you need but I have seen large DIY stores like BandQ with a freebie box - usually off cuts so it is beside the band saw where they cut timber to size for customers - It might be a bit of work but you can join freecycle sites and also look to swap things as well.

=======

In Scotland atm and hope to move on April 2014. Welcome ideas or invites. There is a contact on my profile and I have facebook

Its a great show - good for ideas and I like the way George lets the people speak up - it seems more casual and friendly than Kevin has become = But that said yes for sure Its Tv land a bit of the time but has to be. The one show I coud watch over again was the guy with the ice house in Scotland.

Maybe you need a mix of activity - that changes with e seasons - so walking tours or free lance guide in summer and something to sustain out with that. I think many visitors to the highlands miss out on so much - Perhaps your actual location will suggest an activity - you need to be close to a tourist centre to get a mass of people to advertise to. Depends maybe on your van - would you take paying passengers - what about insurance etc.

I just joined here as I am looking at options to live off grid - a simpler life - would welcome any ideas or suggestions but it will be March 2014 before I can sell my house in Dundee and make a move.