Posts by andyinscotland

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

Thanks for all the replies, I too thought some of the workaway hosts looked a bit dubious but sure there'll be some genuine ones as well. All food for thought though...

I guess it maybe a case of you get to know some folks that need work done and then try to get your own deal. Mostly it would see, the work a way hosts offer room and board for work - maybe you could offer some work in exchange for the park up and such.

I really want a place just to put a cabin and I do not want tied to working but have seen 2 hosts near me with land.

Think we should bear in mind it would be easy for hosts posting up rather grander claims than is to be found.

Oh gee I love this - comfy chairs and bed. Innovation and being practical (chairs and drawer secure thingy)

Well done and thanks for taking the time to share with us.

All the best - hugs -

Originally Posted by etherea
    Something that hasn't been touched on here - most cheep, highly sought after, throw away goods are made by people living lives one step up from slavery, working in appalling conditions, working underage, wages not enough to keep the wolves from the door (if indeed the unfortunate worker has a roof over their head) and in incredibly unsafe and unsanitary conditions. Surely that should be enough for people to reign in their "must have" mentality? Unfortunately not!

I was kinda working on the assumption that everyone on this post was already all too aware of this little fact and that was one of the main reasons they disaproved of this modern trash consumer culture we live in....no?

Well yes no maybe but it is still good to have aspects of a debate widened or highlighted.

In the past I have had BT - then Virgin and now the best of the bunch is Plusnet (which is actually part of BT) I just use the net for TV rarely or share a net flix login.

My Plusnet which has a landline I use very seldom but a good fast unlimited net is 18 quid a month.

Good to see the suggestions and advice as I hope to move soon and not have internet but just a phone and maybe dongle type thing.

I did use a dongle for a bit and found it ok just expensive.

Maybe sites like Money supermarket have deals and of course there is Libraries - wi fi coffee shops and bars etc.

Lets hope you get something sorted - have seen a few companies advertise for festival crews - I think each festival web site has a link to apply for a job - be it 2 days or longer sort of deal.

The work a way site as some have said may seem all an exploit but you can at least see who wants someone - you may have your own van and you are free to negotiate any deal or at least try to. At least with the businesses it seems easy to trace them and get a web site so you do not even have to sign up to work away.

All the best.

Oh should probably also mention, just so my situation doesn't sound completely ridiculous and irresponsible, my child-to-be at least has the financial security of a decent father wit a good career who already dotes on his daughter and can't wait to have another - so I guess the situation isn't as bleak and upsetting as it sometimes feels. There are a lot of people out there with a hell of a lot less!

For sure thats the case - I do wish you well - all the best. Its never easy -

Something that hasn't been touched on here - most cheep, highly sought after, throw away goods are made by people living lives one step up from slavery, working in appalling conditions, working underage, wages not enough to keep the wolves from the door (if indeed the unfortunate worker has a roof over their head) and in incredibly unsafe and unsanitary conditions. Surely that should be enough for people to reign in their "must have" mentality? Unfortunately not!

so true.

Sure hope something works for you. I did use PVA on a shed roof before reusing old and cracked felt as it was just the only cheap solution I had. 6 years on no problems at all.

Its a good thing for governments the people do not always understand.

Well here we are a few years on from the expenses scandal and we still have so called Hon members a robbing and a stealing out the trough.

I do not think it has changed - I do not have a Pay Pal account and could still donate - although the donation is "handled" via the Pay Pal System.

With Pay Pal there are two options on donating 1 Use a Pay Pal Account. or 2 Pay with a debit or credit card.

ukhippy.jpg

I think you can use most cards via Pay Pal even if you do not have a Pay Pal account as such it is just that Pay Pal process the payment.

-
    -

Should we get tough on the people who are quite frankly destroying their own bodies, do they deserve what they get and if so, why are we treating the symptoms and not addressing the causes?

Where does compassion end and practicality begin?

I wonder what can be done from a practical point of view - for example why are companies even allowed to manufacture cigs - why are they allowed to make such unhealthy food salt and chemical enhanced slop - maybe that is practical and of course allow more cheap and nutrisious foods.

[h=2]Earliest references to cancer[/h] Some of the earliest evidence of cancer is found among fossilized bone tumors in human mummies in ancient Egypt, and references to the same has been found in ancient manuscripts. Bony skull destruction as seen in cancer of the head and neck has been found, too.
    Although the word cancer was not used, the oldest description of the disease is from Egypt and dates back to about 3000 BC. It is called the Edwin Smith Papyrus and is a copy of part of an ancient Egyptian textbook on trauma surgery. It describes 8 cases of tumors or ulcers of the breast that were treated by cauterization with a tool called the fire drill. The description adds that there is not treatment for the condition.

Source

http://www.news-medical.net/health/Cancer-History.aspx

So many just continue on whatever path they are on regardless - lets hope even today some can change that.

I think there are to many risks - but am unsure about cause and effect - we already had the sink holes in the US after salt mining and such. So sad - but what can we do - fracking is but one wind turbines another burning bio mass another.

It is the way it has gone for so many - we try and buy contentment and happiness the lure of the bright lights the goodies on display buy in to the lifestyle. I do not recall his name some guy maybe a TV celeb said about the Argos catalogue "The Laminated Book Of Dreams" After 9/11 in the US Pres Bush said something along the lines of - we need people to go out and shop - in other words to be consumers not people not citizens but just that consumers.