Posts by ThatManViv

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

What a lovely thread Harry! I'm looking forward to seeing how many of my lovely customers reply, I've made so many for UKH members!
    I'm down with bronchitis at the moment, and going into hospital for a procedure on my back on Sunday, so I shall have plenty of time to follow this for the next couple of weeks, even though I have four burners waiting to be built!

awwwww, Mister, I dont know you, but, Sincerest Wishes to you

DAMN ... for some crazy reason I couldnt access this site ... ISP problem maybe .... so, THANK YOU for all the input, and your time and enthusiasm ....definately investigating the stove idea ... gonna require a chunk of work tho .... but. I do love researching ... respect to allll the amazing people posting here in UKhippy ... you are heroes, one n allll.

steam engines travelled ok with the fire lit ;)

when my burner is well lit and up to temperature there is no smoke , just a heat haze and thats hard to spot when stationary never mind when moving , all i do is close the door and shut down the air after giving it a good poke ......

Hello Shroom, you Heavenly Creature .... ;) .... you cant be too far away if you are in wiltshire. Spent the first 16 miserable years of my life there.

It would certainly be lovely to drive somewhere, stop overnight, and be cosy, but it would be a major undertaking for me to make the modifications. I see people make solid fuel fires from old propane bottles, theyre not expensive, have you any idea if they are any good ?? What do you burn ??

and do not forget most heat is lost through the roof

Thanks for that hint.
    Tha roof is insulated with some solid 2inch yellow man made stuff used in house walls, then covered with grey felt. I cant really increase it because I'm quite tall and my head brushes on the roof as it is. The back doors are filled with loft insulation stuff with mdf board over that.

I did see a van a short while back that had a large air vent fitted in one rear door. It would be possible to do that and then have some sort of door inside which could be opened and closed as required which would provide a vent when burning calor gas, but there is no way I want calor gas burning while I sleep, unless I put in a large vent in the door or roof and the heater was half the size of the smallest burner on the small calor gas fire I own at present. That might lift the chill from the van but I'd still be nervous about sleeping.

btw, I'm an exiled cornishman too. There's a whole tribe of people there I have no wish to meet or communicate with.
    Last year I toured the north somerset & north devon coastline, and then followed it down thru cornwall until the weather changed.
    How lovely it would be if we could rely on several weeks of warm dry weather following one another.
    And, if I could be a lot richer .... :thumbup:

Insulate the walls, and add a solid fuel stove!! Any thing that burns but doesn't expel the combustion products to the outside world will produce condensation, and possibly kill you too.... And the more you insulate, the less heat you need to generate....

Thank You.
    It's true that the walls are not well insulated. It's some sort of fibrous material like old fashioned pin board, about half inch thick with grey felt stuck on, so I could improve that. I resisted doing it when I bought the van because it means the seating/bed will require some serious modification. Plus, I'm also hampered by having no parking at my house.

The solid fuel stove sounds a great idea, I'll have to research this. Fitting one will require a massive re-jigging of the overhead cupboards and wiring. AT the moment the van is very stealthy, no real indication outside of it being a campervan, so, presumably losing that by fitting a chimney will be a drawback from being warm at night. I wonder if I could design a telescopic chimney, a sort of up-periscope idea, sounds fun.

Is it safe to drive with a lighted stove ?? I don't recall seeing a van passing by with smoke puffing out the roof. How do people extinguish them ?

Looking for Best Advice on what heating to have in my transit van, please.

I don't live in my van, I have a house, BUT, I have the worst of noisy neighbours, and escaping in my van is my escape.
    The landlord is corrupt, the council is corrupt, the police seem corrupt, and I am the victim.
    But, keeping warm this time of the year is a problem.
    I have a small calor gas heater, but even on the lowest setting, the walls get wet and I darent sleep with it on. Then I wake up freezing cold.
    What do I buy to keep the inside of my van, and me, warm ????
    Thoughts, advice, experience, appreciated, please.
    and to you who live in vans, my sincerest highest respect xxx

what made me laugh was a message to me in a chatsite I use
    from a lady who, for a few weeks now, has me mistaken with someone else
    and today went on to slag the real me off ....
    what's funnier is that christmas she invited the real me to her place ....
    it's good to keep your enemies close, eh ..... :pp

Welllll, I made my decision and spent my money ...

bought a pair of Exide ER650 142Ah @ £120 incl VAT & Del each
    from my little electrical repair/battery man round the corner ....

theyre all rascals ya know ....
    originally quoted me £159.99 for Numax M135 and nooooo, couldnt improve on that price ...
    online Tayna sells them for £157.98 incl del & tax and 40 of that is delivery ...
    damn sure he isnt paying £40 for each battery delivered to his workshop...
    and then I get told there is a waiting period for the numax unless they are on the shelf ...
    so I found online this Exide ER650 for £111 each incl tax + £34 delivery for each battery ....
    I'm sure thats a damn con .... I bet they pay about 20 for delivery of both ...
    so I went back to the little local guy and put it straight to him ...
    get me a pair of ER650s for £225 and you can have my order ....
    ooooh, I couldnt possibly do them at that price, I have to pay delivery on them ...
    FGS, he must be making a 20% profit on any battery surely ....
    so we settled on £240 .....
    I swear these online companies make half their profit thru the delivery charges ....

another interesting thing is battery weight ....
    for instance, the Numax M135 weighs 42Kg ...
    the alleged equivalents sold by alphabatteries, their Xplorer and Banner range, weigh only 28Kg ...
    I have to ask how can they be equivalents weighing in at so little ...
    these Exides I bought weigh in somewhere inbetween at 35Kg ....
    so, I have to ask what is the difference between these battteries ...
    and why is it so difficult to find out ....

Why not discuss it with your son first? Ask him to check out the legal aspects of his inheritance over in the USA. I understand America doesn't have capital gains. To know what you do have and how it would be best dealt with would be something to clarify.

when I posted this thread it was with an intention of finding a way to not use a solicitor for making and executing my will because my experience of solicitors, and opinion of them drawn from numerous tales and reports, is simply that they are legalised crooks living and breathing in a money-making cult ... capital gains didn't come into it ...

when it comes to personal money and matters of a legal nature my son's interest leaves a lot to be desired ...
    I've sent him scanned copies of the relevent documents regarding my house, and, details of everything connected to my finances,
    and told him to print off the copy documents and keep them safe ... has he done it ... nope ... and whats more he doesnt even have an accessible digital copy of the info .... I can't figure him out .....

QUOTE The only thing I can suggest it to try and find a small family run business with references from people you know and hopefully they will not be too cold blooded
    Good luck and keep us informed
    Paul QUOTE

Yes, this is a great suggestion, and I have tried to find such a firm locally, but they seem to have all been taken over, some sucked into nice, posh, glass-fronted, modern buildings, and some into traditional oak panelled 18th century buildings ... like so many professionals of other pursuits, the overheads have forced them to amalgamate ..

QUOTE now look at this
    http://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/lei...isure-battery/
    says its 135Ah .... the price is very attractive at £95 ..... But .... no mention of the number of expected cycles QUOTE

I emailed Alpha and they replied

""" That battery is an excellent dual purpose battery. At 50% depth of discharge you can expect around 250 cycles."""

sooooo, you pays ya money ... and gets what ya paid for, eh ....
    pay another 50% and you get 500cycles ....

guess that's what's called marketing ...

interesting and apt thread ... I was just about to ask some questions about leisure batteries ...

ie .... how can we be sure what is advertised is what we get ??? if it says 110Ah in the ad, how can we be sure we are getting a 110Ah battery ???

last year a local woman advertised an unused 130Ah for sale for £70 ... seemed a good buy but when I looked at it the model number was that of a 100Ah battery with an extra letter at the beginning ... I pointed this out to her and she thrust the invoice in my face ... it was from a very well known online supplier and was indeed only a few months old ... I didnt buy it ... I returned home and emailed the company asking why they were selling batteries with a number indicative of 100Ah and saying they were 130Ah ... well, they didnt like my email at all .. and replied saying they had the batteries especially made for their company and they could use any number they liked to describe them, and they suggested when I needed a battery I might like to buy it elsewhere ...

I currently have one varta 110Ah battery which has been in the van at least 3 yrs . Last year I had it tested at halfords and they said it was 71% proficient, which isnt as shocking as it might look as I understand few batteries are more than 85%, and, of course they do sell batteries....

so I'm musing over buying a pair of 135Ah batteries ...

have a look at this link
    https://advancedbatterysupplies.co.uk/product/numax-l-135/
    you'll see it says its 135Ah, and, 500 cycles as its lifespan , and its £140 (loadsamoney)

now look at this
    http://www.alpha-batteries.co.…-xplorer-leisure-battery/
    says its 135Ah .... the price is very attractive at £95 ..... But .... no mention of the number of expected cycles ....
    however, they offer a 4 yr warrantee, which to my mind is not worth the time it took to type it ....

now check out Tayna ... same battery ...
    https://www.tayna.co.uk/M135-Numax-Marine-Battery-P3774.html
    with delivery they certainly aren't cheap ... and they say nothing about the lifespan of this battery ....

soooooo, How do we decide ????

for the amount I use my van should I follow never enuff's example and get a coupla cheaper 110Ah ... ?

but then my head says, you've never bought cheap batteries, why start now ..... [panic]

I bought my '97 transit lwb with 75K on the clock and all documentation from new three years ago, half decently converted, with bed, overhead cupboards, a nice Smeff hob, speakers, various lights and both 12v and 240v switches everywhere, + a whole load of camping gear the guy threw in cost me £1300, but add to that £320 for welding, and a coupla hundred for a solar panel and the magic boxes they need .... the floor and ceiling are insulated, I insulated the rear doors and made mdf panels for them ...the walls are only felt lined, there's no air vents in the roof, I updated the original transit radio and speakers for something modern, and, in the rear there was a strange, but amazing, stereo radio, mp3 player, tv, cd and dvd player, and some sort of scanner, which the owner had said he hadnt ever been able to get anything out of ... but I figured out the menu-lead system and its brilliant, ... I've wired it up so I can easily remove it from the van but when I want to I plug in an mp3 player and have a 50w sound system wired into all four speakers .... must have cost a fortune when new and I wouldnt buy another if it was stolen so this is why I remove it when at home .... the paintwork is poor and the front wheel arches are rusty, but when I turn the key and it starts I dont care about those bits ...

Hmmmm....te he.....or ha ha.....qualify the meaning of cost and there may be a quantifiable sum.

Really.......a....fortune....but relatively less than shitty neighbours were costing me in emotional resources.

O M G ... sincerest empathy zendave .... Ive have years of hell from my neighbours, they're polish, and they are so disrespectful and nasty, polish people have stopped me in the street and apologised for their behavour asking me to accept that polish people do not usually behave as they have done .... and yes, the emotional cost cannot be measured ... sounds like you may have escaped now ....

[panic] ..... I'm beginning to wish I rented ..... :S

I dont have 2 loved ones ... theres one son, lives and works in america, and I dont even know anyone as a friend let alone love ...

I checked out a couple of We-Make-Your-Will companies and they tend to use freelance solicitors or barristers who have access to a variety of standard will formats, and they use the same people for executing a will ... now whether that offers any protection from being ripped off I dont know ... but the Will-Making company is bound to add on a fee ....

and there was a phone-in prog on the radio I listened to where one or two people told tales of misery after wills were drawn up by private companies and they caused far, far more cost than was ever saved on the initial will-making .....

Paul, Thanks for that suggestion, I will look into it ....

another thing I heard on the radio (probably whilst doing my dishes) was a suggestion of securing an equity release, spending the money on improving the place, and then letting it, and using the income to rent a narrowboat, or to travel .... of course that complicates my will somewhat,

I think I'll just have to pay these vultures to draw up my will and then let my son choose a local firm of solicitors to execute it ... maybe that way he will gain some control .... whatever we do ...we end up victims to this disgusting system ...

I don't know what you aim to leave your son but is is something that you can start gifting him now a bit a year to get around any inheritance tax etc
    Paul

Theres just the value of my house . . . and the remainder of my lottery winnings ... I'm not sure how much that will be cos I havent won yet .... :pp

As for witnesses, I'm sure I've heard of a Notary Public signing a will and arranging another witness if required. They'd charge you a few quid up front, but it might get the signatures you need.

Notaries are Solicitors who have taken an extra course, and they charge about the same as a solicitor will charge for making a will so theres no advantage gained there.

Thanks for replying ... appreciated

Under the circumstances your reluctance is understandable. If you name your son as the executor, though, it would be up to him to see the terms of the will are carried out. Unless you ask for the solicitor to act as executor, I would have thought their commitment ends once the will has been drawn up? Of course, I may be wrong. I am sorry to hear you have personally had bad service from a solicitor and it sounds like the women you mention were treated very badly indeed.

I saw a solicitor when I drew up my will and paid something like £125 for a couple of hours of informed advice and a copy of my will at the end of the process. I certainly don't want my kids to go through what I experienced and I hope I have taken appropriate precautions. I also needed to make it perfectly clear who else was going to be a beneficiary - assuming there is anything left worth passing on.

Yes, you are right about the solicitor's obligation ending after the will has been made and witnessed, unless the signee also instructs them to act as executor. I certainly don't want to do that. I prefer to make the will, let my son have a copy, and leave it to him to instruct someone to execute the estate. I've no idea if that gives him any protection from being ripped off. I do know that the Law Society do not accept any complaints about a solicitor or firm from anyone not employing that solicitor. I travelled that road already.

A few years ago a lady I knew died leaving a request that her son execute the will to avoid solicitor's fees. The poor chap nearly had a breakdown trying to pull all the lose ends of her financial life together. He really did end up on medication, so I do know it can be a real problem.

Cheapest quote Ive had in my area is 150 +vat,and £200 to store it until I die.

Thank you very much for that info ... I'll look into this service ...

I can make a will myself, ... but I do not know 2 people to witness my signature. The only people I know in this road are older than me and we only know each other thru passing salutations, everyone else here is a foreigner ...

I don't know how making wills by email or phone works, once its written out it must be signed and witnessed by two people in the same room as the signee.

Darn it ... I refuse to die.

:clap:

I'd recommend using a solicitor. My father made his will through an unregulated will-writing company and his decision caused years of further anguish and mayhem for my brothers and for me when all he was trying to do was make life easier for us when he died.

I am prepared to go into into further detail about the whole sorry saga, if anyone is curious, but a lot of what I experienced was covered in the first few threads I started on here back in 2011/12. I do, however, recommend very strongly that you get a will done properly and leave the cowboys to their tumbleweed and beans.

Hmmmmm, marshlander ..... serious words to ponder on .... Thanks ....

thing is tho, my personal experience of solicitors tells me that they are legalised crooks .... I have been cheated out of £1000s by them, and last year two sisters living in america were on radio 4 telling how they got £40K between them from a £110K estate
    because the solicitors allegedly ran up massive bills thru hundreds of emails and letters and supposedly employed american lawyers to track the ladies down when all the details about them were in the father's will .... they couldnt even have a complaint considered by the Law Society because the solicitor was in the employ of their father even tho he was dead .... I just dont want my son to be screwed like that ... if I can help it .....

but your words carry a lot of weight ... Thanks

No Replies from Beyond the Grave Please ...:pp

I really hate solicitors and do not want to use one for making my will, or for the executing of it.

Does anyone know of any legal safe alternative service or system please ???
    Anyone used such a service ??

My only heir lives in USA and I'd love to avoid paying a solicitor the indecent fees a solicitor can charge for every email or letter sent and received from abroad.

It might seem shocking but I really do not know two people to act as witnesses if I make my own.

Thanks for reading.....:rip:

I was at exmouth years ago and they were talking about charging for use of the river then, I don't know if it is still free.

No chance of mooring for free on the Ex .... few years back a historian at Powderham Castle, Exmouth, discovered that the owner of the castle had a right to all moorings and taxes levied on trade pursued on the Ex and set about sueing the local council ... the council capitulated, and now the castle owners employ their own bailiff etc to get every penny they can from the river .... when a former gf rented a mooring from them we couldnt find it so the bailiff was sent out with his chart to show us where it was ... and we discovered the floating bouy and rope was missing ... the bailiff said I expect someone saw it was an empty mooring and cut the bouy off and stole it, you'll have to pay for a new rope and bouy and for someone to go down and fit it ... then volunteered for a fee to do it ... we knew darn well we were being screwed but what could we do ... we paid up ...

RIGHT .... [panic] .... I'm goinna try and post photos of my bed from PhotoBucket ... HERE GOES ...

This is my Bed as a Seat

http://i1090.photobucket.com/a…5042016/Bed5_IMG_4349.jpg

This is basically how the van was when I bought it, but, the owner was much smaller than me so I extended the width.
    I managed to buy these drill bits at a pound each at a car boot.

http://i1090.photobucket.com/a…5042016/Bed2_IMG_4345.jpg

These slide into this copper tubing which is hidden under the doors of the bed/storage compartment

http://i1090.photobucket.com/a…5042016/Bed3_IMG_4346.jpg

supporting the hinged shelf I made

http://i1090.photobucket.com/a…5042016/Bed4_IMG_4347.jpg

then the foam mattress just sits nicely on top for a good nights sleep.

http://i1090.photobucket.com/a…5042016/Bed1_IMG_4348.jpg

Both ends of the bed have an airvent so fresh air can always pass thru.

[panic] ... now lets see what happens when I press the Post button ....... :D

Flippin' Eck .... it worked .... :clap:

Educate me please. What's the worst case scenario if you have no license? If I take an unroadworthy van out or park park in a public street it's likely to eventually get towed away. What can they do to a narrow boat?

same thing ... they can take it way and impound it ...and charge for its release ... or get a court order to auction it

reminds me of when I stopped off in a very nice village on the south coast of england to buy fresh bread ... I had to park about 100yrds from it and walk back to the shop ... when I got back to the van there was a man stood beside it .. when he saw me approaching he said, Do you have to park this thing here ? .. ( now it is a little scruffy, 1997 transit, but not too bad ) .. so I ignored his question and asked him, Why, where do you live ? ... he pointed to very nice house ( probably 400K ) on the opposite side of the road, saying I really do not want to be looking out my window and seeing this ... so I said, Nope, I dont have to park here, I could park in your drive ... You wouldnt dare, he said, I'd have the police here ... It would be trepass, I said, police aint interested in trespass, youd have to take it to county court ...and I reached into the van, grabbed pen and paper and started writing down his house name ... What do you think you are doing ? he asked all pompous like ....I'm writing down your address so I can pass it on to all my traveller friends as somewhere they can park overnight .... by then someone he knew had come walking along, He's threatening to get a load of travellers to park in my garden, he said ... so I politely explained to the new person what a prat the other fellow was, broke off a chunk of bread, took a bite of it and said Lovely bread, and drove off .....

really makes ya wonder what goes on in some peoples heads ... its like the person who took a hammer or something to my rear light cluster on friday ... whyyyyyy .....