Posts by sage

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

what about gay marriage? im all for it. in the UK i don't think married couples don't get the same tax benefits and such as in the states. these guys are way against it:

Christian Coalition of America Legislative Agenda

Attempting to get a vote on a Federal Marriage Amendment The Marriage Protection Amendment, the constitutional amendment banning homosexual "marriages" received 236 votes in the House of Representatives in the 109th Congress, an increase of several votes in the United States House of Representatives from the previous vote in the 108th Congress. Unfortunately, only 49 Senators, all Republicans except one, voted for the constitutional marriage amendment in the Senate in 2006. However, Christian Coalition state chapters are doing a tremendous job in passing state constitutional amendments banning homosexual "marriage." Thus far, 27 states have voted for, by an average vote of 70%, state constitutional amendments including 7 more states in 2007. It is expected that when Arizona voters -- the only state ever which defeated such an amendment (a complex and flawed amendment) -- have an opportunity to vote on a simple amendment banning homosexual "marriage," it will pass overwhelmingly like the amendments passed in the 27 states which have already passed such amendments. Christian Coalition of America will continue to grow votes in both the House and the Senate for a federal constitutional amendment banning homosexual "marriage." It is just a matter of time before the citizens of Massachusetts vote overwhelmingly to rebuke 4 radical Massachusetts judges and their liberal counterparts in the Massachusetts legislature and to ban the abominable practice of homosexual "marriages" in the state of Massachusetts, the only state where judicial dictators have forced such "marriages" on its citizens. It is expected that more states will have constitutional amendments on their state ballots during the 2008 presidential election and all of these are expected to pass overwhelmingly in addition to bringing out new pro-family voters in the presidential election.

i guess i was trying to figure out if this was what she was reffering to.

"modernist evangelicals (yes, there are a few) tend to be Democratic"

my point is there isn't just one type of christianity in america so it doesn't make any sense to me to say "american christianity" and if she was referring to evangelicals they seem like the people i might be able to get along with more so than other conservitive (bush supporting) christians. (speculation)

i have a problem with how the goverment acts like there is a seperation between church and state when christianity has such control over politics and who gets elected

Evangelical politics in the United States

Main articles: Christian right and Evangelical left
    Evangelicalism in the United States was prominently active in political movements which are now popularly considered to be important social advancements, such as Women's Rights and Suffrage, and Abolitionism. Evangelical influence was also evident in past movements which are now unpopular, such as prohibition and anti-immigration. But Roe v Wade, the Supreme Court decision rendered in 1973 preventing states from making laws that prohibit abortion, is the most prominent landmark of a new era of conservative evangelical political action, unprecedented in its intensity and coordination.
    In the U.S. the Religious Right is especially influential in the Republican Party, which is sometimes perceived to be the political wing of the conservative Evangelical movement. George W. Bush, elected president of the U.S. in 2000, is a self-identified born again Christian who received strong support from evangelical voters. The Bush Administration is guided by the President's values which often reflect core evangelical beliefs. Consequently, criticism of controversial conservative political stances frequently falls on the U.S. evangelical movement as a whole.[citation needed]
    The mass-appeal of the Christian right in the so-called red states, and its success in rallying resistance to certain social agendas, is sometimes characterized as an attempt to impose theocracy on an otherwise unwilling and secular society, although most evangelicals deny this. There are indications that the belief is widespread among conservative evangelicals in the USA that Christianity should enjoy a privileged place in American public life according its importance in American life and history. [citation needed] Accordingly, those evangelicals often strenuously oppose the expression of other faiths in schools or in the course of civic functions. For example, when Venkatachalapathi Samuldrala became the first Hindu priest to offer an invocation before Congress in 2000, the September 21 edition of the online publication operated by the Family Research Council, Culture Facts, raised objection:
    [INDENT] While it is true that the United States of America was founded on the sacred principle of religious freedom for all, that liberty was never intended to exalt other religions to the level that Christianity holds in our country's heritage. The USA's founders expected that Christianity--and no other religion--would receive support from the government as long as that support did not violate peoples' consciences and their right to worship. They would have found utterly incredible the idea that all religions, including paganism, be treated with equal deference.
    [/INDENT] However, the Christian Right is not made completely (or even a majority) of Evangelical Christians. According to an article in the November 11th, 2004 issue of The Economist, entitled "The Triumph of the Religious Right", "The implication of these findings is that Mr Bush's moral majority is not, as is often thought, just a bunch of right-wing evangelical Christians. Rather, it consists of traditionalist and observant church-goers of every kind: Catholic and mainline Protestant, as well as evangelicals, Mormons, Sign Followers, you name it. Meanwhile, modernist evangelicals (yes, there are a few) tend to be Democratic."

Quote from Sunshine

I disagree. Many Christians do not read the Bible in order, or else they would be able to see that it makes sense. Some parts of the Old Testament are still relevant, some are not. If you are just going to pick bits out of it then there could be many interpretations. The Bible if read properly and in order does not promote hatred. It contains a lot of hatred etc. but I wouldn't say it promotes it. Thats my opinion and I know its the opinion of many other Christians. But I guess there are plenty of different types of Christian including the type that this thread is about. I don't agree with Catholicism and a lot of the American Christianity.

would you please care to elaborate on what you mean by american christianity. is this a new form of christianity i've not heard about or...

i am experiencing and pursuing the 4 tasks that are associated with the 4 noble truths.

the 12 spokes of the dharma wheel are very important to my life.

4 noble truths = 4 spokes
    4 tasks associated with the 4 noble truths = 4 spokes
    4 completions of the tasks = 4 spokes

the fourth noble truth will lead you to the 8 fold path

the buddha's first lesson was on the 12 spokes of the dharma wheel and since then it has never stopped rolling.

namaste

sage

from reading through this thread i would really like to have a pint with Rincewind because i find myself in agreement with almost everything you are saying.

personally i do not believe the adam and eve story as fact, but i can understand the symbolic meaning. i see the bible as a series of stories, that when read in the context in which they were written, have important symbolic messages that could help people with their spiritual journey. i wouldn't say the bible is the word of god more than any other book (and i think that jesus was a cool guy)

@ coyote - i agree with what you are saying about christianity just being a mask but if you take the mask off and the spirit see's itself in the mirror maybe that could be the beginning to the end of the suffering?

driving around in ohio the last couple weeks made me realize the over-abundance of christian symbols and churces with electronic signs flashing their messages trying to get more people to join. IMO christianity is not just another mask, it is the mask in the country i plan on living in (for a while) and raising my child(ren) in. i've never felt so offended by all the brainwashing in my life. i guess this has alot to do with my strong feelings about seeking out a community that shares similiar values to my own.

@ sunshine - thank you for your post in this thread. i knew that what christianity has evolved to wasn't all bad but i was starting to wonder if i was wrong. i hope more people like you have a stronger influence on the future of christianity.

@ atomik - thank you for your wisdom.

Quote from Pinkadelic

omg, flowers... such an old move.
    i learned it i think a year ago!
    and antispin isnt hard at all, just practice a bit coordination with one hand at a time.
    isolations is such a fun move, i learned it two weeks ago.
    transitions is a base move, how long are you spinning poi?

flowers aren't an old move. it's a term used to describe compound circles and there are many many combinations of compound circles to do. i'm pretty sure that there are 'flowers' that havn't been spun before, yet to be discovered. flowers can be done in antispin, hybrids, butterflies, buzzsaw... etc.

IMO isolations are easier to learn with heavier poi that is not stretchy. i would suggest around 125g for each poi. although this is just what has worked for me.

i just got 2 new circuses to add to the collection. my 2 diabolo shuffle is solid i just need some practice with corrections. i can't wait to be able to go outside and practice because i have limited space indoors and can't practice genocides or infinite suicides.

dred - can you do 3?

you obviously have a unique definition for the word totalitarian, but i would like to point out that the most influential scholars of totalitarianism, such as Karl Popper, Hannah Arendt, Carl Friedrich, Zbigniew Brzezinski, and Juan Linz have each described totalitarianism in a slightly different way, but the common elements to all definitions is the attempt to mobilize entire populations in support of the state and a political or religious ideology, and the intolerance of activities which are not directed towards the goals of the state, such as involvement with labour unions, non-sanctioned churches or opposition political parties.

by this definition (the shared definition of the most influential scholors of totalitarianism) the word totalitarian has nothing to do with simply wanting anything. unless of corse you believe that wanting is a form of attempting to mobilize, in which case i would be much more inclined to view your arguments as substantial in any way.

ok thanks

you do understand though that this wand analogy is an assumption on your part without any facts or statistics to back it up, therefore not the most effective argument.

hypothetically speaking, if someone wanted everyone in the whole world to change to a certain aspect of behavior besides you then that wouldn't be totalitarian because it's not everyone? my point is where do you draw the line.

Quote from Coyote

Not when many of them say they would rather the whole world be vegetarian. I wasnt making any pronouncements about the way the would "should" be....

if someone wants the whole world to change a certain aspect of their behavior does that make them a totalitarian in your view?

if someone wants more people to change a certain aspect of their behavior does that make them a totalitarian?

if someone want their best friend to change a certain aspect of their behavior does that make them a totalitarian?

mind you no one is forcing anyone with magic powers or otherwise. i'm just trying to understand where you are coming from.

environmental issues and generally i dont think it is right to kill animals (especially just because people think they taste good)

one day i read something in a book that said something like eat things that resemble life not death and discussed in detail the effects of what you put in your body. it also explained how a group of people would sit around the tomato plants they were growing and meditate about sending their energy to the plants and concentrating on them growing heathier and the results from their efforts. the explanation about eating the tomatoes they grew and gaining even more energy to give back to the next harvest which was even better than the last and so on. this made sense to me and seemed beautiful. i decided to try to be a vegetarian for a couple weeks to see how it would go and it was easier than i could have imagined. i was practically forced to stop eating fast food and start trying vegetables that i decided i didn't like as a kid. i felt better so i continued. since then i have developed a better sense of why i don't eat meat partially because of the need to explain my choice to others. as i got more involved and educated my decision became more reinforced and confirmed.

my sister was a vegetarian for 13 years so i heard all the horror stories growing up and i never liked eating meat by itself (except for maybe bacon)

Quote from Coyote

Its more a case of "we have it, you dont, and there aint enough to share without us losing out in a big way....so sod ya!".

Of course the converse is the have nots; who are frequently those who shout most for redistribution....until they become the haves when mysteriously they change to the first value set :D

have what?

are we talking about clean water, food, shelter or are we talking about high definition flat screens and portable mp3 players?

if your talking about the 1st lot then your "aint enough" argument seems irrelevant to me because with more efficient energy and distribution there is enough for all.

lol

there is a difference between wanting more people to become vegetarians and forcing everyone to become a vegetarian.

have you specifically asked the veggies you know this wand question or are you just assuming they would use it because they would like more people to become veggies? either way i think the people you've talked to about this are probably around .001% of all vegetarians so what are you really trying to say with this whole wand deal anyway?

Quote from uma

Oh of course-I don't mean to make out that they are victims, but rather they make the choice to do this because they don't have any other options or are co-erced etc. I maintain that no autonomous, unhindered women would choose to work as a prostitute over other options. I just don't believe it. Sorry. As for the example you gave about someone working as an exotic dancer freely-I would argue that this person (and I'm not trying to be patronising here at all-just writing a reponse to this hypothetical argument) is under what is known as a 'false consciousness', in other words, they have internalised the view that men and society project surrounding the treatment and view of women. In this way, of course she will be having a thrill of the supposed power she perceives she has over the men-turning them on etc, but if she disanced herself from this work then the person would see that its still the man that holds the power.

i totally agree with you about the prostitution part but to me exotic dancing can be an artform and doesn't have to be about who has what power. IMO a women's body is one of the most beautiful and inspiring creations and dancing is an artform of expression, so to say all exotic dancers are under false consciousness and on a power trip is a false generalization. but maybe you were talking about the girl she was decribing and not all exotic dancers, i'm not sure.

i also agree that legalization of prostitution would probably be a positive short term solution to some of the issues (saftey, disease etc.) but the long term effects of legalization could have a negetive effect on ending prostitution. so it's a tough call.