Posts by BoaterAmy

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

Hi Amy, until 3 weeks ago lived on a Selby barge. Had to leave in a hurry, now living ashore (bugger it), so am looking to buy an ex working boat (converted or not). I'm sure Madcat has told you about CWDF?

Hi Larkshall, I'm already a stalwart of CWDF, well would be if it wasn't down... We've just bought a converted ex-working boat - the Severner Willow. Good luck finding your next boat, are you looking for another barge, or a narrowboat?

Hi all

Just thought I'd let you all know in case anyone's looking for a neat and tidy boat that's ready to move into and very sound, as well as (if I may say so myself) quite nice looking! We are upgrading to a larger boat, but have loved life aboard Lucky Duck for 5 years.

Our boat, based in Cambridge, is for sale

Summary
    Lucky Duck is a 48ft traditional stern narrowboat first registered in 1986, with a reliable BMC 1.8 engine. It sleeps 2 + 2 on a sofa bed, makes a great live-aboard boat and is well adapted to coping with being away from shore power. Easy to handle and well laid out inside with a traditional 'saloon forward' layout, it would be a good starter boat for anyone looking to begin a life afloat, or enjoy some holiday cruising. All systems are in good working order.

Last out of the water July 2011, BSC until Dec 2013. Hull surveyed 2008.

Guide Price: £27,500 ono

If you think you may be interested, please get in touch! We'd be happy to show you round.
    Accomodation
    Starting at the bows, there is a large storage locker, with water tank below, and an outdoor space, with a vinyl cratch cover. Rolling up the the sides makes this a lovely space to sit outside in the summer. In winter there is plenty of room for fuel storage without resorting to using the roof. The two 19kg gas bottles are also out here.

Entry into the cabin is through a pair of beautiful unique curved metal framed doors with glass panels. The boat is lined with a combination of T&G and plywood, with polystyrene insulation. It was completely refitted by the previous owner, with new wood floors, in 2006. Moving back through the boat there is a comfy living room, with shelving, a sofa bed which folds out to be a double bed, a fold out table and some fixed seating with storage under. The boat is heated by the Morso Squirrel solid fuel stove, with a back boiler to a radiator in the
    bedroom.

In the kitchen, there is a domestic sized gas oven and four hobs, a very efficient Shoreline 12V fridge freezer, a sink and lots of storage space. All the oak cupboard doors open to reveal sliding drawers, maximising storage and access. There is a wet room with a Morco instantaneous gas water heater (no need to run the engine to get hot water!), a shower, sink, and a Portpotti toilet.

The bedroom again maximises storage space by having a double bed which folds away in seconds on gas struts when not in use. Underneath is a top access wardrobe, lots of deep shelves for storing books and clothes, as well as two chests of drawers, and a step with a lid for even more storage. Part of the space under the bed used to be a desk, and could be easily converted back. Up the step and through the door is the engine room, housing the reliable, skin tank-cooled BMC 1.8 diesel engine, which has been regularly serviced and run. I 2009, we had the engine re-aligned and new skin fittings installed by Fox's boatyard at March. Its relatively short length for this size engine means that it is a nippy boat.

Electricity
    The battery bank consists of 4 100Ah Elecsol deep cycle semitraction batteries and a dedicated started battery, which are all two years old, but have been well-looked after and continually charged by the 136W solar panel on the roof, which charges the batteries through a top of the range MPPT (maximum power point tracking) regulator. There is also an alternator and a 20A charger which can be used to charge the batteries when connected to a generator or shore power. A 1000W inverter allows you to use mains powered devices when not connected to a shoreline or generator

The boat has a 12V circuit which runs the fluorescent lights, water pumps, fridge and 12V sockets, and a 240V system which runs additional lights, and power sockets. The solar panel means that from March until September, the boat is entirely self sufficient for electricity, This is great for live-aboards, but also means peace of mind if you are leaving the boat for extended periods of time, as you know the batteries will be full when you get back.

Exterior
    We repainted the boat (taken back to bare metal) in 2011, and refreshed in Summer 2012, using Craftmaster Grand Union Blue on the sides and International Atlantic Grey on the roof. We don't know who the boat is built by. Best guess is a Colecraft hull with a bespoke, one off cabin. The roof is double skinned as it seems to have been extended from a cruiser stern to a trad stern at some time in the past, and a new roof put over the whole lot. The hull was blacked in 2011 with two sprayed on coats of International Intertuf. All mooring lines would be included in the sale. There is a double skinned chimney.

Bilges/Ballast
    The boat is ballasted with shingle in the cabin bilge and with moveable paving slabs for adjustment in the bows.

Mooring
    The mooring is unfortunately non-transferable, and Cambridge City Council run a waiting list for the moorings we are currently on. However, there are other moorings in the Fens, with public transport and road connections to Cambridge. The river Cam is connected to the rest of the system via the Ouse, Middle Level and Nene, and we'd be happy to help with route planning and moving the boat.

Hello, I've only just noticed this thread. I've been living afloat for just over a year now on my 50' narrowboat. I'm lucky enough to have a very quiet mooring in The Fens - great for the creative process. Although the Washes have been "up" (i.e. flooded) for weeks now the river levels have been managed. When it rains significantly the water authority lets water out of the system so I have to climb up out of the boat. I'd much rather have to live with that than be swept over a bank into a field as I saw with some other boats not far away. My thoughts go out to those dealing with the results of flooding.

*waves*
    we are in the fens too - moored in Cambridge now but have had moorings at Upware and Waterbeach. It's a special place.

Mine has to be when we first bought our narrowboat in Birmingham and then brought it back home to Cambridge the long way round (via the Thames) back in the Summer of 2008. Everything broke - the starter motor, the propshaft, the coupling, and eventually the tiller snapped off and we had an argument with a mediaeval stone bridge (the bridge won!). But despite all this it was such an adventure, and we met so many awesome people who helped us out and got us fixed up again, many of whom are still firm friends. Ah, memories!

Best of luck with your ventures! I suspect that, as stated above, learning to drive (even if you are nnot a quick learner) won't eat into the budget too much and will leave you with so many more options.

we went up about 6 or 7 feet in some places on saturday and sunday and have dropped about 4 feet now, lots of roads closed, all locks closed and in a bad way, havent heard of any injuries but a few stranded boats.
    i was supposed to drive from thrapston to kings lynn via p'boro on sunday and was turned back, road closed from oundle, only way into east anglia was A14!

Ooo errr! Stay safe!

Wot peeps have said above, plus use the ashpan to place foil-wrapped items for cooking; to an extent even more trial and error than the top. But jacket potatoes are fairly easy not to muck up too badly, and the smaller fish seem to work OK.

Baking potatoes in the ashpan is the only reliable way to cook them on my boat!
    I have cooked clootie dumplings and stews in the top of the (Morso Squirrel) stove too. :)

Yes, I am. Living on a narrowboat was my dream and now it is a reality. I feel very lucky to live how and where I do. I also always wanted to get a doctorate, and now I am studying for my PhD.

I would say that the one thing that's got me where I am is visualising my dreams. It may seem like tempting fate but it works for me - I imagine every little detail of my dream, and somehow, it helps me find the will and the strength of mind to make it happen.

Dream big!

Its also something I have considered. I have a friend with a Narrow boat which is amazing but his costs are pretty much the same as my current mortgage. Do you have a mooring or are you more of a free spirit? What are the actual rules and regs about mooring up along the river. I work about 300 yards from the Thames so would be awesome to be able to afford to live on it :)
    Don

Although living afloat can be a relatively cheap option, it isn't always. Depends on the boat, where you moor it, licences etc. Compared to a city centre house in Cambridge where we live, the boat is dirt cheap, but a London mooring can set you back up to£9k/year.
    We have a permanent residential mooring, but we like to go off for cruises when time allows.
    On the canals, you either have a home mooring or you can buy a 'continuous cruising' licence which means you don't need a mooring and can stay for 2 weeks in any spot, but technically this should be a continuous journey around the system, not just bridge-hopping around London. CC licences are often abused and there is an overcrowding problem in London as a result.
    With a reasonably priced mooring, and an affordable boat (you can get "marine mortgages" on boats - that's how we afforded ours) it can be a relatively cheap lifestyle.