Posts by cuckoo

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

We move around on small campsites in the area, am in converted horsebox. Some places open all year or you might find a winter park up, depends on sites and if they like you lol

Do lizards travel well?

I'm a stout labrador man myself. They never fail.

I'd say nope. I used to keep and breed a fair few reptiles. Travelling around, you have constant variables with heat - too much will kill them and too cold will kill them. Regardless of how you set up the vivarium. You just cannot provide the thermal regularisation that they need easily enough.

Your post sounds a lot like the way we were feeling with renting - we always wanted to do this and we too thought we'd wait until the kids were older but then we realised our lives were on halt for the sake of the children. We broke away couple years ago, however we are on a site because it just makes it easier for schools (they chose school, they have been home ed before)

My youngest was 4 when we made the change, not quite a baby but children adapt. Probably even more so when they are that young, my only concern would be to make sure everything is still child safe (I have a guard around the woodburner even now)

If the parents are happy, the child grows up in a secure home. Stressful homes don't provide that, I know that too well.

It can be done but will take planning, especially getting the build and vehicle right, last thing you want with babe is mouldy, damp environment. Good luck.

Painted the outside of the lorry last year, so doesn't need a wash for a loooong time lol.
    Inside though I sweep most days, do need to de-clutter again though.

Used to have a fair few when I was younger but they still happen now and again, the main reason I started trying was I would have reoccurring dreams where I would be trapped or blocked in. I managed to remove these obstacles in my dreams and they never happened again. In my dream I would recognise that I was dreaming, tell myself, it's your own dream, move them and I did :D

Just to say, we managed to find one that doesn't stink of horse piss :pp hahaha It has a great rubberised floor in good nick, which we ripped out and an aluminium floor under that. BUT we looked at some mingers too that were rotten through. But like you said, most will have a living area fitted already, which is a huge plus, so you can start on the back, whilst still in it.

It'll be the insurance on something like that though which will be through the roof, not many people have a bus/van as a first vehicle. Get some quotes.

It's all bollocks....that's my succinct reply lol

Something like 40 trillion dollar debt world wide.....is there really in the physical sense, that much money anywhere? even analysts cant agree, actual physical is said to be 5 trillion, but could be 25 trillion of you include other stuff but actually might be 75 trillion? WTF? what is it? lol

And, even money is an actual I.O.U ....'I promise to pay the bearer 10 pounds' it says on notes.

Most of the money is owed to each other, this makes no sense what so ever. If we all said to each other, right I owe you £50 and you owe me £40, lets just cut that to you owe me £10 and be done with it.

And then there are multi billion pound numpties just sat on the money, hoardin it, the money stops moving around or the same small bit of money keeps moving. Every time bankers play the stock market and they make millions, where from? and then lose it again, where does it go?

Interesting article, which is where the pics come from, just shows a few countries and who owes what to who. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15748696

A little story....

It is the month of August; a resort town sits next to the shores of a lake. It is raining, and the little town looks totally deserted. It is tough times, everybody is in debt, and everybody lives on credit.Suddenly, a rich tourist comes to town. He enters the only hotel, lays a 100 dollar bill on the reception counter, and goes to inspect the rooms upstairs in order to pick one.
    The hotel proprietor takes the 100 dollar bill and runs to pay his debt to the butcher.
    The Butcher takes the 100 dollar bill and runs to pay his debt to the pig raiser.
    The pig raiser takes the 100 dollar bill and runs to pay his debt to the supplier of his feed and fuel.
    The supplier of feed and fuel takes the 100 dollar bill and runs to pay his debt to the town’s prostitute that, in these hard times, gave her “services” on credit.
    The hooker runs to the hotel, and pays off her debt with the 100 dollar bill to the hotel proprietor to pay for the rooms that she rented when she brought her clients there.
    The hotel proprietor then lays the 100 dollar bill back on the counter so that the rich tourist will not suspect anything.

At that moment, the rich tourist comes down after inspecting the rooms, and takes his 100 dollar bill, after saying he did not like any of the rooms, and leaves town.
    No one earned anything. However, the whole town is now without debt, and looks to the future with a lot of optimism.

Take from wiki, as in most industries, waste by products usually have a monetary value somewhere and to achieve maximum profit, it's not viable to just bin.

Fur farms dispose of their dead animals as economically as possible. The meat from most fur-bearers is not usually eaten by humans, therefore the carcasses will go on to become various products such as pet food, animal feed, organic compost, fertilizer, paint, and even tires. Carcasses sometimes go to animal sanctuaries, zoos, and aquariums to feed animals, and some end up as crab bait. Mink feces are used as organic crop fertiliser, and mink fat is turned into oil to manufacture soap, face oils, cosmetics, and leather preservatives

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fur_farming

I wasn't really talking about food products where bone is used - more like bone china, ornaments, coat toggles and jewellery.

Oh ok, I couldn't think of bone usage at the time. I guess what you mentioned is easier to avoid if you want to? For me, I am happy that the animal is been completely used.

Hands up, meat eater here. I am one for a holistic approach to the use of any animal, that all parts should be used and that it's life is not wasted.

What about if an animal was bred purely for it's fur? as the main goal? Is it's death any different? In line with some cattle been bred mainly for their leather, then it's not much different really. The carcass of the animal will still be used, in one way or another even of it is for the food of other animals.

Feathers - same as fur/leather really, although you can find them scattered about but not really enough for a duvet or pillow.

Bones - not sure what you want with the bone other than for gravy and bonemeal?

Just as an add on comment for thought-I have read the charlie hebdo paper twice in fifteen years and found it hugely racist and sexist in its views. should it be allowed ?

I had never heard of it until this happened so I have no experience to speak from however I have absolutely no problem with satire, taking the piss - as long as it's not just aimed at one group of people.

If you are going to mock, insult etc etc then be like South Park, where no religion, no politician, no celeb, no culture of people are exempt - if we mock everyone it's ok, if it's mocking just the one group then it's not ok.....to me anyway, if that makes sense. I've no idea what group Charlie Hebdo falls into?

It has been known for a long time about amphibians, since they are the most sensitive of species to their environment. A lot of these will be the numerous species of dart frog in South America but because they are small, they are almost insignificant, it's hard to raise awareness for a frog, they just don't have the awwww factor for most people. Whereas pandas, leopards and polar bears etc are far more easier to advertise and pull the heart strings. Very sad.

Basically then you are creating a softer type of insulation board, such as celotex, with the foil stuff on either side.

We shall crack on with this when the weather gets better, ya live and learn. Gotta insulate/draft proof the cab a bit more too aswell.

Thanks for all the hints and tips guys :D

I have rivets in the luton that sometimes drip too, with condensation, if I glue over these, that will stop that too?

the vapour barrier is right next to the aluminium roof yes? (alu roof>vapour barrier>insulation>plywood)

plasic sheeting if used to seal should be contact glued with excess around any screwholes you intend to make.

I take it that's to stop a thermal bridge? (am researching lol)

It's just not much is said about vapour barrier and was wondering of really needed. Just seems like another layer to cause not cure condensation IYKWIM.

5 of us and yes we breathe, it's a big problem I know lol, any gas hob cooking done is done with window open. wood burner running which dries the air out, our humidity is generally at 15% ....it's just the roof. Will have a look at rockwall or similar then. I thought there was meant to be an air gap, maybe this is where I have got confused then.

The walls are fine, they are made of GRP board, it's on the aluminium roof, where it obviously collects condensation because of the temperature difference. I was just wondering about sealing around the flue, in that foot square gap or even adding another sheet of ply boards to the ceiling. so it goes....aluminium, ply, insulation, ply.