Posts by stupot

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

Well thanks to you all. I think when you are living alone you can get a little obsessive about things which are both irrelevant & unimportant to others. I just didn't want to continue posting & boring people into the bargain. Financially I continue to remain in the black. It's bank holiday tomorrow & afterwards - well we shall see. I hope I am proving that people like us, who wish to live outside the 'normal' parameters, are able to do so & be self financing into the bargain. We are all blessed with one amazingly powerful tool, our imaginations, & if we can utilise that tool to its best advantage in an artistic capacity I am of the opinion that the sky really is the limit. Sorry I'm rambling again.

My problem is that I may bore people with things I am enthusiastic about. If feel this may be the case here &, as such I won't post further about art & stuff but, please believe me when I say all I was trying to do was demonstrate how someone who lives outside the system can pay their own way in this world by methods they may not have considered.

Just one parting thing, an example of a watercolour of mine just to show the sort of thing I am doing on my own little expedition. Sorry for the watermark but I once posted a painting elsewhere only to have it reappear a while later claiming to be painted by someone else!
    waiting for the tide - Copy.jpg
    Hope you like it & apologies once again if I have bored anyone.

Tim you can resize your images by using the windows paint programme. R/C on the image & a window should appear saying 'open with' click on that & 'Paint' should appear in a sub menu. Next from end left at the top of the paint you'll see 'crop, resize & rotate'. The resize option will allow you to reduce your images so that they comply with file size limits.

The Easter holidays are at an end & here goes with a little report as to my progress thus far. Overall the weather remained kind so that was a massive bonus & no doubt helps enormously in generating the following figures. Overall I managed to sell 41 prints at £5 each which equals £205 & worked out below my daily target figure. A couple of days I sold ziltch & my best day I sold five. I did however sell a total of nine original watercolours ( little A5 & A4 sized things) priced cheaply to sell at £15 & £20 because they only take me about 15 minutes each to do, which totaled £170. So for the two weeks & a total of approximately 11 days out & spending an average of five hours a day I managed to earn a grand total of £375. Now I am into the swing of things I know where I have gone wrong, what sells & what doesn't & will modify my approach accordingly.

An unexpected bonus came my way however in the shape of an elderly couple who are members of a local art group. I spoke to them a couple of times at length as they passed by &, after consulting with the rest of the group, invited me to join them as a guest tutor, teaching them watercolours for an hour for a fee of £30! Needless to say I went along one afternoon & they must have liked what I did because they have re booked me for next week. The old couple have also asked me if I would care to give them some private lessons at their home for £15 an hour. I have yet to finalise this but will do so on the next visit to the art class. So if you add the £30 into the mix I have made myself £405. I don't think that's too shabby for a fifth rate artist like myself.

Are the templates covering the sky, with the buildings cut into the bottom edge?
    So you work from the top of the board downwards?
    Thanks
    Rich

Yes that's it. cut into the bottom edge of the card to give the template of the buildings, distant mountains etc. One piece of card per template. Card will make them reusable. Always work from top to bottom when doing city/landscapes so sky then middle distance then foreground using the top of the template to mask the rest of the work from over spray.

You don't have o be at the seaside to attempt to sell your artwork, just somewhere there is enough people passing by. A town or city should provide you with a ready customer base. The next pictures I'm going to explain are cityscapes. All you need for these are the appropriate templates which match the skyline of whatever city you are painting. Please remember unless I mention otherwise all templates are 'partial' ones, that is it is just the top of the object you wish to paint as opposed to a full template which gives the full outline of something like an animal.

draw-graffiti-cities-800x800.jpg
    The above painting is simplicity itself (this image is not a spray painting though). Paint your moon & midnight sky as demonstrated in the videos I linked on the first page, then for the background, use a template of your choice to spray grey in a block colour or (better still IMO) a light coating of black to allow the sky colour to show through. If you do this though make sure you position the moon so it is further up in the sky as the moon behind the skyline will spoil the effect. The foreground is just another template this time sprayed in a block of solid black. Job Done.

kelvingrove_sunset_orig - Copy.jpg
    This second example is more effective. Do the sky as I mentioned in the first tutorial - you can add a moon if you like though don't paint clouds as it would spoil the perspective. For the stars take an old toothbrush & load it with white paint, at a distance flick the bristles so that it splatters the sky with spots. Practice this a little first though at different distances so you know what to expect. The background mountains are again just a template sprayed with the darkest sky colour you are using, this gives them both outline & a sense of distance. Using a template spray the middle distance cityscape in black. The artist here has chosen to embellish the picture with windows & foreground foliage. use a small brush just to paint in the effect of windows of lit up rooms. Only do a few here & there though as the artist has done as too many will spoil things. Lastly for the foreground 'tree tops' take a sponge - natural songe is best - & dip it into green paint (spray paint decanted into a lid) dab the sponge off until it is almost dry then dab onto the painting at the points you want the trees to appear. you can also layer these & give them depth by lightly dabbing the background tree & applying a little (though not much more) paint to the ones in front. Finish with a little of the predominant sky colour, dabbed here & there. Note the artist has done so on the right hand side of the trees to give the effect of the moonlight coming in from that direction.

I can imagine someone in Brighton painting the Pavilion or Edinborough painting the castle & doing very well out of it.

I hope this helps. Next time I'll speak about animals..............

Jeez my MBB is SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW today!!!!!

Rich. The paper I speak about can be had from craft shops but best perhaps to get it from your local cheap stationers. If you are going to spray paint using cans then you need this type of paper in order that the paint doesn't sink in. I once got a load of old posters from a printers shop for free which were blank white on the reverse & glossy. You could always use old cereal boxes & spray the shiny side white instead.

Coder, thanks a lot for the info but I've been there & done the business thing & while it was kind to me I most definitely don't want to return to red tape & form filling in. The beauty of what I'm doing now is the fact that it's all cash. The result being I don't take anything & I don't give anything if you see what I mean.

I'm going to do another tutorial soon for those who are interested.

I'm unsure if this tutorial will work but I'm going to give it a go. The idea is to take an example of spray art & break it down into its component parts, explaining how the artist has achieved the effects, in the hope that those of you who are interested will be able to replicate it & then take the techniques to produce artworks of your own.

il_570xN.547103308_alhd.jpg

1) The Sky. Take your coated white card & place a round object onto it where you want the sun to be - in this case it it on the RHS - lightly spray red then yellow underneath allowing the white of the paper to show through making sure you spray round the circular object. Beneath the yellow spray a thicker layer of orange blending it into the yellow layer so there are no hard edges. Finally spray the same red that you used for the top of the sky onto the bottom giving another thick layer but again making sure it blends into the upper orange. Now you need a few card templates cut out in various shapes & sizes to give the shapes of the tops of clouds. Place the first template where you think it will look most effective & using a contrasting colour (the artist has used orange on yellow) spray the cloud being careful to 'mist' out the bottom so that you don't end up with a hard edge. Remove the template & you have a cloud. Repeat as necessary. To make the cloud effect around the sun leave the circular object you have placed there & spray some templates around it. You will note that the artist has achieved different effects by spraying the clouds at different densities. When this is done you can remove the circle & you should have a sunset sky as seen in the picture. Now comes the Land. This is just another template cut out to whatever shape you like. Place it on the picture & spray with black paint. remove the template & you have the land! For the trees I feel it is best to paint these on yourself & if you want them without foliage just paint them with black paint, for foliage get a small piece of soft sponge (bath sponge is good) & dip it into the black paint, remove the excess on a piece of scrap card then dab lightly onto the trees to create the effect of foliage. The resulting picture should be a passable copy of the one in the photo.

I am still experimenting with this type of written tutorial myself so forgive me if it is a little shaky.

The potential for me to mess up with the botanical style is pretty high.
    I like the squishing technique with the glossy magazine. I could bluff my way out of any mistakes with that.

Rich, a lot of art has it's foundations in bluff! Keep watching for my tutorial. I'm just trying to figure out how I can do it via the medium of the keyboard. I'm pretty sure that you will be able to quickly master the few things I'm going to describe.

I've just moved up the coast a few miles though am still within bicycle reach of my initial painting spots. Because this weekend will herald the end of the Easter holidays for most people things will no doubt quieten down considerably. This means I have looked to another venue to hopefully provide me with scope to generate a steady income stream. I will be setting up my easel at my new 'outdoor studio' (the pavement!) from tomorrow onwards.

I have been fortunate enough to sell a few original watercolours on top of the prints which has boosted my total earned thus far. All I'm going to say at this point is that I am in in the black, having covered both site fees & general living expenses. I'm a man of fairly simple tastes though & neither smoke nor drink. The real test begins next week & will continue until the next holiday period.

Rich, hopefully I can show you a few very simple & easily learned techniques that will give hours of pleasure & hopefully a means of generating a little income. Forget my painting on the first page, I'm not attempting to show people how to do that sort of thing - spray painting is well within anyone's reach, whatever their level of creativity.

Andy the spray bottle thing seems a very good alternative to the marker pen sprayer. Use acrylics or even poster paint (I use poster paint in my 'proper' paintings, that & emulsion!) thinned down to the correct consistency so that it flows through the nozzle. TBH I've only just come across it as a variant to the spray art thing myself while looking for examples of spray art to illustrate my post. To my mind though, if you attempt that rather than using paper I think stiff white non coated card (Old greetings cards & the like) would be best as paper will wrinkle.

My mantra is spend as little as possible, recycle wherever possible then sell!

e10e867f3c79b47052532093a86d98eb.jpg

Above someone having a go with a spray bottle.

Spray-Paint-Silhouette-Botanical-Art.jpg

Those artworks look very effective & expensive don't they? I would imagine they would also prove easy to sell. How did the artist achieve that effect? After putting down a background colour of their choice & allowing the paint to dry (poster paint = minutes same with spray cans) they've laid a sprig of leaves onto the canvas as a template then sprayed over them (I think they've pressed the sprig first so that it will lay flat). After removing the 'template' you are left with the above picture. Simples eh?

Spray-Paint-Silhouette-Botanical-Art - Copy.jpg

The raw materials for producing 'botanical' artwork. Not sure if it would work with spray bottles as the paint will be a bit runny - may require cans.

Is it just me or does anyone else like to hear the rain on the roof at night, just as you are snuggling under the duvet?
    Rich I'll look to putting a little 'how to' together then. Based upon the things I have mentioned previously anyone wanting to have a go will only need basic stuff but what I'll do is concentrate on felt tip spray painting. It's the easiest, cheapest & cleanest way of introducing yourself to that particular genre. FYI the Crayola thing I spoke about is less than £20 - I saw one in a B&M store for about £15 a little while ago, indeed I was going to buy it but decided against it.

Thanks Zeb. If anyone is interested I can explain further the procedures for making some easy yet effective artwork in order that you can give it a go for yourselves & perhaps make a few doubloons into the bargain. Please remember you don't have to be Rembrandt to have a go, you just need a few cheap items & a little bit of imagination.

As for me things have been going well thus far (touching wood!). I expect things to tail of significantly after the school holidays though but have made provision for that already. I'll give a full update early next week.

I'm going to stick around where I am until after the Easter holidays then try my hand just a little further up the coast. There is a big outdoor market cum funfair within comfortable bicycle range, I've already had a scout round the place & it seems very promising. I have yet to attract the attention of the local constabulary & be moved on for fly pitching so I'm hoping the same will apply there.

In January & because I don't use my car much, well hardly at all actually, I thought I'd invest in one of those little solar powered battery conditioners. I managed to bag one in the sales at half price. Even at the ten pounds I paid I thought the thing may have been no more than a gimmick but to my surprise it keeps my vehicle battery topped up a treat. Because it only produces 1.5v you can attach it directly to the battery & leave it (have to disconnect before starting the engine though, something I've forgotten to do a couple of times) or, if you have a permanently live cigarette lighter socket you can plug it in via that. They now sell them in Halfords at about £15, though there are some 10w ones too which are more expensive. Just thought those of you who park up for longish periods may like to know that one of these gadgets can save you from FBS (Flat Battery Syndrome).

In January & because I don't use my car much, well hardly at all actually, I thought I'd invest in one of those little solar powered battery conditioner. I managed to bag one in the sales at half price. Even at the ten pounds I paid I thought the thing may have been no more than a gimmick but to my surprise it keeps my vehicle battery topped up a treat. Because it only produces 1.5v you can attach it directly to the battery & leave it (have to disconnect before starting the engine though, something I've forgotten to do a couple of times) or, if you have a permanently live cigarette lighter socket you can plug it in via that. They now sell them in Halfords at about £15, though there are some 10w ones too which are more expensive. Just thought those of you who park up for longish periods may like to know that one of these gadgets can save you from FBS (Flat Battery Syndrome).

Going back to the spray painting thing. I mentioned in an earlier post that there was a device which allowed the user to get spray paint effects using marker/felt tip pens. After looking on the net I've found it. Although you can do space paintings, it's obviously not as good as the spray cans as you can't work the paint but it has several advantages IE you can safely do it indoors, work at an angle off an easel & refill the pens when they run out.

I had a go with this type of painting (last century!) & managed to pull off some good effects. Basically you should look to paint simple landscapes (lakes/lochs are best) & sunset/sunrise scenes the easiest. Use red & yellow pens to create a twilight sky & repeat the pattern for the water (when painting do two thirds sky one third land or the other way round - never half & half). Have a few precut stencils - cut out of stiff crafting type card (old greetings cards are ideal) If doing a lake scene for the background place an appropriate stencil over where you want the distant mountains to be & lightly spray with black - leaving plenty of sky showing through as this will give the effect of distance. Turn the stencil over & under the mountains spray again, though even lighter. this is the reflection on the water. Have another stencil to make a jutting headland in the middle distance (spray black but darker this time) then turn & do the reflection. For the foreground another stencil spray black solid colour all the way down to the bottom of the page - this is the shoreline, best to make it sloped for effect. To finish you can use some coloured (black, white yellow & red) pencils to add detail such as a tree or two, a figure or a shoreside cottage or even all three (black for this) & the light which hits them. This type of painting is incredibly simple - easier than the spray paint space stuff - yet very effective & only costs pennies.

293040-Crayola-Airbrush-Marker.jpg

Rather doing a day by day breakdown I intend to report how my 'initiative' has gone after the Easter hols to give everyone an idea as to what could be available to them doing beach side (or perhaps festival) art. The weather has been really helping things though as it has been lovely & is set to continue over the holiday period. I am trying a few different pitches, moving from one to another over the course of the day & now am spending about eight hours a day at the easel. It's a great way to meet new folks. My rule when selecting a pitch is to make sure there is a good through flow of holidaymakers albeit twixt beach & town or on the promenade. I can then be guaranteed that lot's of people will pass by & just a few of the throng will probably buy something.

Andy, not Salisbury cathedral but just something from out of my imagination.

arrby - that's great! Like I said before it's really easy, you just need to get the hang of a few simple techniques. I may have mentioned this before but best not to do it in hot weather as the paint tends to dry too quick to allow you to work it properly. Also do it on the flat so as to stop the paint from running everywhere. Let us know how you get on.

Sorry to hear this.

oddballdave mentions exemptions for 'specific trades, nationalities and ethnic groups'. Would it be possible to go into more detail regarding that or post a link to some further reading on the subject?

Nice work stupot, good luck with it all, will you be moving round?will look out for you and your work x

thanks. I intend to move but don't know where or when but wherever it is I intend to kick back, relax & enjoy my surroundings as well as exploring local history. I have half a notion to paint near to Willie Lotts cottage in Constable country at some stage. lot's of tourists from all around the world visit there who may be kind enough to buy my own takes on the Suffolk countryside.

Thanks asta. Don't usually do 'em that big I just needed to fill a space on my wall!

Rather than tell everyone about life on the road (let's face it all of you know more about it than I do) my main intention here is to hopefully illustrate how you could make a modest income via the medium of art & possibly inspire one or two to have a go with the brushes (or spray cans). As I mentioned previously traditional methods of painting is not for everyone - indeed it scares a lot of people into not trying in the first place - but spray painting is a totally different matter. By applying a few simple techniques which can be easily learned from the internet, anyone can quickly start to produce sellable merchandise. Let's face it we all need a few quid & what better way to earn some than by doing that. You don't have to be 'area specific' either, by that I mean you don't have to paint the Highlands if you're in Scotland or the sea if you're in Skeggy. Space painting always go down well wherever there is a gathering of people.

Go on have a dabble, you won't know how easy it is until you try!

Well what an interesting day. I set up my easel as planned about noon. Not having a pedlars license I didn't want to antagonize the local traders but needed to be in as prominent a position as possible. As expected the place was heaving with people making their way to & from the car park/beach/town. The plan has always been this, to sell my paintings & prints to 1% of the people who pass by, not an unrealistic proposal to get one out of a hundred I always thought. Being satisfied if I could take £20 a day for a few hours. Anyway to cut a longish story as short as possible I actually managed to sell seven prints which equals £35, seeing I was only there from about twelve to four PM I didn't think that was bad (£8.75 an hour). Although I had my easel set up to do a spot of painting - though it was a tad too breezy - I spent much of my time chatting to folk who were interested in art.

Nowt wrong at all - especially today when the sun is shining..............

The plan is to set myself up on the road which links the clock tower with the beach. There's a main car park at the beach end which means people walk that road to get to & from the town & I'll be there there to snare a few of 'em! It was rammed with people yesterday (though I wasn't painting). I'll let you know how I get on.