Posts by stupot

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

Just an idea but have you thought about recording the noise of a (big) dog barking? You could have it on a small stereo of some description with the on button at the ready. I would imagine any would be intruders would think thrice if they thought there was an Alsatian in the van (you'd have to move about to replicate the dog though.

Shave the 't of can't & what are you left with? The basis of the covenant community is each person looking out for each other. Back to basics, a project of this nature would not go unnoticed so best to turn that to advantage. Work for food, offer services for pay, a few heads would be able to work out a feasible plan. After all you you still have to survive in exactly the same way if you're moving round so why not apply that experience to creating an economic blueprint?

The idea lends itself to any number of permutations as far as investment is concerned, for example forty people with £10,000 each to invest would produce a sizable parcel of land in an area which would otherwise be out of the individuals reach. A covenant community whereby each investor would promise to help each other & not to sell the land on but bequeath it to those other members who survived them until the last person standing acted as caretaker. When they had gone the land could be sold on & the profits given to the charities of the investors choice or the land set aside as a nature reserve/living area onto which nomadic folk would be free to live without fear of interference from the authorities.

It's just an idea.

It was an idea & talking point, nothing more. I didn't envisage 500 people living on the land on a permanent basis but using it to stay as & when required but they could if they wanted. Anyway I reckon you could get a fair old chunk of earth in rural Portugal for that amount of money, enough to absorb 500 folks anyway without creating a 'garden ghetto'!

This probbly has been discussed before but I was just thinking, there are enough of us here who think the same way & share the same core values that, together, we could form quite a formidable force in terms of buying power at least. For example for one hundred of us to form a cooperative, chipping in a thousand pounds each, could buy ourselves a sizable chunk of land in an area where planning restrictions are not used as restrictions of freedom - Portugal for example. If five hundred were to get in on the project with the same satke (or let's say £500) a plot of land which would be out of our individual price range would suddenly be within our grasp! A new way of living based upon mutual respect & inclusion while rejecting local (by that I mean in house) politics could be ours.

It's just a dream but a nice dream nonetheless.

Hi RoadAngel, I'm so glad to hear that you've rediscovered art. I've just done about the same length of road trip (time wise) this year & managed to finance myself through my painting. Make as much money as you can & keep focused on May! I really wish you all the best & I don't need to tell you how great art is for releasing you from your worries! I don't know what medium you use but perhaps you could do some art with a view to selling it next year? Tourist spots are always good. If you didn't feel comfortable doing that just to set an easel up somewhere & paint as this always leads to conversations with passersby who, if you stay long enough, become acquaintances & even friends!

Many thin layers (the onion principle) is better than one big one. I use a few of those thin fleece type throws, two to be exact, doubled I'm as warm as toast! In the depths of winter it is two of the thick ones doubled up. They aren't heavy or restrictive.

Raffi, I would consider placing a thin strip of wood around the frame to make a lip. I've found (probably because I'm a shufflebum) that during the night the mattress will start to slip off the bed making for uncomfortable kipping. Turning it into a 'bunk' as opposed to a straight bed will eliminate this problem.

I have A Citroen Berlingo, which I use to tow my 'van. It is converted for wheelchair use - I'm not a wheelchair user - but it has a lowered floor & ramp, thus allowing me to take my motorbike on my travels. It has only one single seat in the back which could be turned on its axis by 90 degrees to give a nice comfortable 'easy' chair. I would get round the window issue by placing sticky back plastic of corresponding colour to the body over the side windows, thus in effect creating a van (the rear windows of the Berlingo pop out as opposed to wind down, ideal for this job as the widows themselves only need to be opened to form templates) I'm not saying I'm going to convert but this thread has certainly set me thinking of the change from 'mobile garage' to camper.

Just a thought but let's say I wanted to use a Fiesta van as is nano camper for weekends/festivals etc. I had thought of removing the passenger seat (I have no need for one) in order to extend the length of the sleeping area & then utilising the foot well as a storage area. The arrangement would be a permanent one (but reversible if the vehicle was sold). Blackout material around the windows possibly backed up by a heavy curtain hung behind the seat which went across the width of the interior & long enough to go to the floor if a little extra insulation was required. Your thoughts please.

RoadAngel. If I may can I suggest you try a little painting & or drawing? The therapeutic value of this pastime cannot be underestimated. It can allow you to leave all your cares behind for a short while, you can go anywhere in the world or indeed create worlds of your own. Forget the 'I'm not good enough' that doesn't come into it. Art, in it's purest form, is about personal expression. You don't have to show anything to anyone if you choose not to. However should you discover that you really enjoy it then perhaps you might consider taking it one step further. Please see my 'Well here goes' thread for details of that.

Please, in the meantime, pick up a few pencils & start to draw - anything you like.

I haven't read this thread in it's entirety so apologies if some has posted similar info.

I have gotten into the habit of visiting the supermarkets half an hour or so before the close as I have found they virtually give stuff away. Sometimes though you can just go during the day & pick up some great bargains. Yesterday in Morrisons I got a large Hovis loaf for 15p & a basket load of dented cans (well in date) for 9p each. In amongst the haul was Hienz beans & sausage & two tins of salmon previously marked up at £2.99 each. I haven't totted it all up but I guess I ended up with about £18 of stuff for less than two quid!

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't read this thread in it's entirety so apologies if some has posted similar info.

I have gotten into the habit of visiting the supermarkets half an hour or so before the close as I have found they virtually give stuff away. Sometimes though you can just go during the day & pick up some great bargains. Yesterday in Morrisons I got a large Hovis loaf for 15p & a basket load of dented cans (well in date) for 9p each. In amongst the haul was Heinz beans & sausage & two tins of salmon previously marked up at £2.99 each. I haven't totted it all up but I guess I ended up with about £18 of stuff for less than two quid!

So my little experiment draws to a close & what a summer it's been. All in all people seemed to take to the idea of seeing someone painting en plein air. I can report that I have been able to cover all my living expenses & actually even managed to save enough money to act as a decent slush fund to see me through some of the lean winter had I been planning on making this arrangement permanent. I was greatly helped by the weather which allowed me to get out there to what turned out to be some good tourist spots. I also had the pleasure of handing over a few of my paintings for auction by a couple of charity groups & raising about £600 for deserving causes.

I guess no one can give me any help on this matter!

Now I know I'm being thick here but I'm just not all that up on tech stuff so please lead me by the hand.

What model phone would I need to go for from Argos? How do you go about setting them up to act as hotspots?

What PAYG bolt on would I need to buy? I know it's £15 but does it have a name & do you have to sign up for it?

BTW 5gb a month would be more than sufficient for me!

I use Payg on three, all you can eat data plus 300 minutes and 3000 txt
    s £15 a month :)

I use the hotspot on cheap Android phone from Argos to teather my pc via WiFi.

I wonder if you could give me more details. I am very interested in using this system for my phone & net connection (I currently use a dongle & it costs £25 a month for 7 gig!) What phone do I need to get from argos & how do I go about setting it up? Thanks in advance.

Hi frazzled here too, just been thro the thread, really nice work, waffle and tut away, water colours are my let down, ok with pencil work and oils, but water colours look like something my 2 yr old grand daughters done, lol, glad your making a go of things x

I'd like to see some of your work, including the watercolours. It's a fact that a lot of folks get intimidated by them when really they're not all that difficult to do. The thing you really need when attempting watercolours are good brushes - you simply cannot use those cheap ones, they don't work. Try heavyweight paper too, I use "300lb not" it can take a lot of water & thus is really good for 'wet in wet' work. The boat I painted which features in this thread was painted on such paper.

I will get round to the spray paint tutorial as soon as I am able but I've been busy & not had time to get onto the forum.

All continues to go well for me. I am still fortunate enough to continue making a modest income from painting & as a result can cover all financial bases. Overall the weather continues to be kind. I've been wanting to make my 'experiment' a reality for some years & now I am it is working out more or less as I had hoped which proves that with a little bit of practice anyone can earn their keep in this fashion.

If anyone is interested I can pick up where I left off with the tutorials.