Posts by stupot

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

The cam net - in order to use it effectively you'd also need some black hessian to drape over the vehicle, the net would have to be set up correctly to that it breaks up the angular shape of the vehicle which would be recognisable to nosey parkers. Park your vehicle in the right place & apply the netting correctly & you can remain unseen even close range.

BTW good cam nets are reversable - one pattern for sring/summer the other for autumn/winter.

Don't worry Raffi, I'm not on the run! I just like the idea for being able to park up where there is no chance that I would be disturbed & be able to stay there for a week or so before leaving & there being no trace that I was ever there.

Eightpot, yes I am aware of the regulations, however before anyone can do anything about it they first have to catch you, I know how to effectively camoflage a vehicle & track planning etc.

Image264.gif

Hi everyone. I've been thinking about buying a compact 4x4 vehicle (Daihatsu Terios or Suzuki Jimny for example) & converting it into a micro camper, the aim would be to use its capabilities to go off road for parkups. Yes I know they are small but, with passenger seat removed & a little design flair, I reckon I could just about make it livable. The maximum length of time I would be looking to use it would be about four weeks. Perhaps I would take a tent but I like te idea of being able to bug out immediately if there were any problems. Actually, combining the thing with cammo netting & hessian I would to remain undetected anyway. Any Ideas?

875691225_283.jpg

This is an idea of the sort of stealth camping I am speaking about however I would do a better job with the net to break up the shape.

As a part time plastic nomad (I travel about only in spring/summer/early autumn) who stays in registered caravan sites, even I can see the need for the real nomads to play their cards close to their chests. If I was following the same path I wouldn't tell.

While it's good to share, it's not always good to share everything.

BTW I'm ready for the off for another round of itinerant painting! (Painting as in pictures that is).

Hi. As you say it's all relative. I spent a good chunk of last year wandering about. I was able to make money from painting (painting pictures). It gave me enough of an income to live on campsites plus all the necessities. I don't smoke/drink/gamble so I guess I was at an advantage to start.

[moved from 'Rascal' thread]

I've always like the idea of micro campers. Rascals, Amigos etc. Probably the most unique of the range was based on the old Morris Marina estate car. A neighbour of my parents used to own one. I remember it was a factory conversion with a pop up roof & small two ring cooker & sink along the rear near side. It was a two berth.

Some conflicting opinions there people. I suppose I could stick with the easy route. In my front room I have an open fire - it's in right now - the back room is where the chimney has been capped & its really in that room where I would prefer to spend my time. I suppose I could just remain in the front room. I had been thinking about an alternative to maximize its efficiency in so much as fabricating some kind of hot plate on which I could boil a kettle etc. What about that as an idea?

Oh & yes it is a smokeless zone & I am familiar with the rules surrounding that.

Hey all,

I am at home for the winter & was wondering if anyone could answer the following. If I wanted to install a small log burner into an existing fireplace & chimney, would it be possible just to put a length of stove pipe on it then let the normal chimney do the rest of the work? The chimney has been relined.

Also - & bear with me on this one - I have two fireplaces located back to back (one of the chimneys capped). Instead of uncapping what about putting a hole to to join the two to accept a pipe from one fireplace to the other?

I tried a small biscuit tin, upside down with the lid as the base, with two pieces of wood seperating them & 'fired' by three tealight candles. The main body of the tin became red hot almost instantly. Holding my hand about 18 inches above it I could feel some - not much - heat. I had it going about three hours & there was still some life left in the candles.

No problem me trusty army sleeping bags seeing me through condensation is causing trouble though

Just a thgought but what about those moisture absorbing bags (I think they're a bit like wheat bags) you dry them out over a radiator (or in a hot engine bay?)

The little battery operated fans which fit onto a car window for keeping the interior of cars cool in summer. You can effectively keep the window closed &, if you reversed the fan itself, would it not draw air - & moisture - from the vehicle? Two may work better, one drawing air in, the other out, keeping a constant movement of air through the car.

If you've got access to all those carpet tilers then why not just use them, sandwiched together, back to back (rubber to rubber) to the required depth? Tile the van with them. Surely then the layers of rubber will have some decent insulatiion properties?

Tesco Express stores are usually another good source of discounted food. Go in about an hour before they close & you can often find many discounts in the chiller aisle. In the past I've had £2.50 pizzas with that days sell by on them for about 40p, I buy stuff like that freeze it. I've yet to come down with food poisoning!

You have to be very careful when glancing at labels in the supermarkets.

Yesterday in Morrisons I bagged a 2.25 kilo 'ethically reared' chicken which is still in date for a couple of days. Full price was £4. I got it for 99p. Guess what I'm having for dinner? (& tea)

By judicious shopping my weekly food cost comes in between 15 & 20 pounds a week.

You have to be very careful when glancing at labels in the supermarkets.

yesterday in Morrisons I bagged a 2.25 kilo 'ethically reared' chicken which is still in date for a couple of days. Full price as £4. I got it for 99p. Guess what I'm having for dinner? (& tea)

By judicious shopping my weekly food cost comes in between 15 & 20 pounds a week.

Re carpet spray, I used the stuff all the time in my job, it's not as sticky as you may imagine. Okay for carpets but wouldn't stick hands to face, still better than nothing though. My dear old mum used to carry a small pot of pepper with her when she went out for throwing in the eyes of would be assailants, I guess that would have been effective. What about a Jif lemon (do they still sell them?) for the same purpose, it would have the same effect & cause extreme pain to the eyes long enough for you to make your escape but no lasting damage. Then there is the marker spray stuff, which coats the bad guy with indelible dye. See the link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.ht…ray+self+defence&_sacat=0

It's just a shame that ladies have need of such things in the first place but if they make you feel more secure & will protect you if needed then they are a good thing. Also, in conjunction with the above, if you ever feel threatened, scream & shout at the top of your voice, this should attract attention from any passersby.

As a bit of a history buff I once remember reading a WW2 pamphlet which instructed Anderson shelter users to heat the shelters with a flowerpot heater - it even had an illustration. The notion of such a device existed long before the advent of the internet.

Flower pot heaters were used quite widely in WW2 by people to heat the Anderson shelters. For maximum effect you are supposed to use more than one candle & one flowerpot. Instead of candles I believe you can use a small tin filled with veggie oil & a few home made wicks.

I used to work in a body shop (a garage body shop not the mall version!) When we used to replace windscreens & such - not bonded - we'd use cord. It depends how big the glass is as to whether you can do it yourself or need another pair of hands to help. It's not all that difficult but can be fiddly, remember you may need to seal the rubber once in or it could leak, run a watering can over it then look inside to see. For sealing we used a stuff called 'dum dum' which was like a black putty type compound. I don't know if it's still available though. Hopefully this video will help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci9Ve2B3hMY