Posts by stupot

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

If I were that concerned about the places I stayed and was off the beaten track, I'd seriously think about putting one of those little electric goat fences around my van. Any baddies wouldn't see it in the dark until it was too late!

I signed on the dole for the first time at 61. I still had to go through all the shit of signing on and proof of job search etc. Luckily I was re-employed quickly but found myself out of work again recently. I could not bear the thought of going through that shit again so am managing as best I can unaided. Good luck man! You will need it unfortunately.

-- Posted from the UKHippy mobile app --

I hve heard about this overs sixties scheme from several sources, but I don't know the name of it or the qualifying age. It definitely used to be sixty because I know a few people who were on it. I think think it exists but in a revised form, the DHSS won't tell you about it so it may be worthwhile your inquiring if you are struggling. I found the following information some time ago, it was posted in 2015, but I can't find anything to corroborate it. That's why I asked here. You can also definitely claim pension credit a full year before state retirement age. As for me, I have no need to sign on but would, when (if!) I reach the eligible age, dependent upon this scheme being in place which meant I wouldn't have to surrender myself to the whole JSA nightmare.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/s…jobseekers-allowance.aspx

Hi all.

I live outside the system. I don't claim benefits. I don't know how the system works so am hoping that someone will be able to answer the following questions:

There used to be a rule which allowed people sixty to pension age to claim dole money (JSA nowadays I suppose) without the need to look for or be available for work, 'signing on' only once a year. I believe this still exists in some form, though the lower age limit for eligibility has increased.

Is there still such an option open for sixty plus folks - if so what is the minimum age requirement?

Are there any other similar schemes?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Jammin. I'm currently short staying on campsites (in a caravan). It's my experience that none of those I've been to on this or previous expeditions allow commercial type large vehicles. While this not may be the case everywhere of course but I think it's because they take up too much room & don't 'blend in' with the other campers. I hope this has been of use & I hope you find what you're looking for.

My engine management light has been on about a year. I had it checked - an oxygen sensor. It has gone through the MOT. I was told in order to get a vehicle with an engine management light on through the test, disconnect the battery then leave for 15 or so mins. reconnect & the light should have gone out because the system needs to reconfigure itself. This is only a temporary fix though & might last a day or two & I'm not 100% sure if it works as I have never tried it.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experiences - loved this thread. Would be great to hear about your future adventures.

Thank you for your kind words. I shall be setting off on my next little tour in March or April. I don't know where I'm headed until I get there. I had thought about Spain but have decided to stick to the UK & once more I shall be relying on my ham fisted attempts at producing art to finance my time on the road.

I still maintain that it is a good way for anyone to make a little cash - all you need to do is follow the instructions as pointed out in previous posts.

I think the whole issue varies from region to region. I own my own house but am not allowed to park either a caravan or van on the drive. It's part of the local bylaws. The result being my tourer has to overwinter in storage. You cannot park caravans on the street either.

I've just come back after another season of travelling. I've been to quite a few interesting places over the past months & I still managed to finance myself by selling paintings to tourists.

Yes I bumped this thread but have done so in the hope it may give an idea of how someone wishing to pursue a nomadic existence can keep their heads above water in the financial sense of the word by turning their hand to producing art.

I'm doing it now. Travelling with a touring caravan wherever the wind takes me (well along the coast). As for deliveries, you can always arrange for couriers to deliver to campsites, if they have your number they will ring so you can stand by to pick up at the gates. Campsites usually allow you to have mail delivered addressed to you C/O if you're staying a while too. As for internet access I get by quite happily with my three PAYG dongle.

Why not buy a large tarpaulin & fit it over the existing canvas? If you're only using it at weekends, then take it off at other times there should be no problem with mildew etc.

I paint pictures. I have spoken about this at length on my 'Well here goes' thread. I only do it for about seven/eight months of the year. Last year I covered all my costs & more (I live in a touring van on campsites). I've provide some tips on my thread. Take a look & have a go - it's not difficult to produce something which someone will want to buy for a few quid!

It certainly wasn't my intention to bring any conflict with this thread, just to sympathise with those who will feel the brunt of tory plans. As for myself I don't claim benefits of any kind but I suppose there are nomads out there who do.

BTW I'm only a part time wanderer.

Sorry to go off on such a downer but the Tories have got in!!!:( They will make a full frontal assault upon the 'lower orders'. Those of us who collect some form of state relief will bear the brunt of what is to come. It won't affect me but I feel sorry for those who will now find themselves hounded. Personally I can see a point where benefits won't be paid to 'itinererants' as they 'won't be available for work'.

Motorhome users use insulated blinds to solve that problem, combined with some 'stealth' stuff on top as described in the blackout thread, there would be no need to worry. Also the Berlingos rear windows open on a hinge which allow them to be cracked open whilst remaining secure.

Nova_Thermal_Interior_Cab_Blinds.jpg

Though I've never tried it (I have a touring caravan) personally the smallest car I would feel comfortable living in is a Citroen Berlingo. It's van based & has lots of room inside. People often convert them for camping & such. If anyone's interested here are some instructions for doing just that:

http://smallmotorhome.co.uk/self-build.html

You'll also see that you can add tent annexes to increase living space.

Berlingocamping-1.jpg

Berlingocamping4-1.jpg

You can also buy such annexes for some cars.

all_kinds_of_tent_awning_car_tent.jpg

That is just the sort of look I'm after & yes, it really does look like tinted glass. It wouldn't raise any eyebrows. The berlingo is a great little van for this sort of thing & surprisingly spacious inside. Mine isn't kitted out or anything as I am currently living in my touring caravan.

That's a great idea! Thank you! For interior illumination I have a solar powered PIR security light. As well as motion detection it can be set to stay on then switched off at bed time. It's more than adequate for this purpose & obviously doesn't drain the vehicle battery.

For the windscreen I had thought about one of those reflective windscreen panels behind which could be positioned the actual blackout stuff. In my opinion such a combination wouldn't draw attention.

I am looking to create some effective way of blacking out the windows on my berlingo when I park somewhere for a spot of stealthing. I don't want window tint & wonder if anyone has any tips & guidance on how I can use some type of thick black 'blackout' material which wouldn't draw attention yet stop any & all light spilling out.

Thanks in advance.

There are cheap devices to be had for use to ventilate cars which sit on top of the glass then allow you to roll the window up. The result is a vent & security.

Hello all,

I am an itinerant painter (of pictures), a fair weather itinerant that is. Mainly because of the glorious weather we have enjoyed over the holidays I have done rather well for myself selling my works to the tourists on the east coast. The time is fast approaching when I hook up n& head off - where to? That's the exiting part!

I'm just loving this thread! I also checked out the 'living small' link.

I bought a solar powered PIR from B&M discount stores (they have outlets across the country). It's a really good unit, powered by a small soalr panel about three inches square. The light unit itself has ten LEDs in it. The power those generate are more than enough to light the inside of a small camper. You can set it to off, on & PIR detection. It won't draw any power from the vehicle & charge itself up during the day. I'm not sure how long it would operate but I guess two to three hours when on all the time.

Oh, almost forget it was £10!

I'm just loving this thread! I also checked out the 'living small' link.

I bought a solar powered PIR from B&M discount stores (they have outlets across the country). It's a really good unit, powered by a small soalr panel about three inches square. The light unit itself has twn LEDs in it. The power those generate are more than enough to light the inside of a small camper. You can set it to off, on & PIR detection. It won't draw any power from the vehicle & charge itself up during the day. I'm not sure how long it would operate but I guess two to three hours when on all the time.

Oh, almost forget it was £10!