Posts by astartosteerby

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

DSCF3675.JPG

Job pretty much finished now, the last thing to go in being the Julian stove. I've had it running in there and it's pretty effective at warming the place up. I've also hung some curtains insulated with more of the underfloor foam for wood flooring, they don't hang very well being somewhat stiff, but are excellent at keeping the heat in the living area. Come the warmer weather I'll cut the insulation off.

DSCF0275.JPG

Also, the tax authorities insisted on one side window being fitted, and while that isn't an EU requirement it's something I intended doing anyway as I had the caravan windows to plunder, so that's in. Lightens the inside up significantly too.

Got a nasty cough left over from a bout of flu, as soon as that's out of the way I'll be off to try it out!

The odd thing about the VW campers is that they could only have been a small proportion of the total VW commercials on the road. The great majority would have been panel vans or pick ups. Nowadays you hardly ever see either of those, but plenty of campers. Why's that, given that any advertised for sale are rarely described as conversions? Are fairies at work somewhere, secretly putting in windows and sticking dolphin and palm tree stickers on the side?

I'd say a full day, I did both mine last year over a couple of days and I reckon the total was about 8 hours. Apart from the usual tools you need a ball joint splitter to detach the steering link arm, and a good sharp drill (I think I used a 6mm) in case you have to drill out the cotter pins. The king pins themselves should drift out, so get a bit of round bar about 20mm diameter beforehand. Better get a workshop manual/disc beforehand as well for torque settings etc.

Have fun!

You're not alone here Emerald Moon, two of my friends (both hearty beer drinking types) have had to take months off work in the last couple of years for work related stress. One has been demoted from Assistant Manager to shop floor, and is loving every minute of the reduced responsibility.

Sounds to me like you're the type who'd be quite happy being given a pile of work to do and being left to get on with it, unsupervised. Van driving? Office cleaning? Postie? Good Luck anyway.

Nice van I'm thinking of getting an ldv convoy myself anything I should take into consideration when looking?

Couple of things off the top of my head, doubtless others with LDV experience can think of a few more.

Mine has the 2.5di Transit "banana" engine, so called because the inlet manifold looks like a bunch of bananas over the top of the engine. It has no computerised engine management so owners are freed from the tyranny of the engine light coming on for no apparent reason. Parts are cheap and readily available. Preferable to the later (2002 on) Duratorque engine which is known in the trade for engine management problems.

Rust. Go under with a torch and screwdriver and probe under the wheelarches, sills and rear valance. Look inside at the floor, as it rusts over the chassis rails and may not be obvious from underneath. Check around the seat mountings in the cab. They all seem to leak so expect to see treated rust and repairs.

Check the keys actually lock the doors, I have two lock mechanisms to replace for that reason.

Window winders wear out, make sure windows go all the way up.

[h=5]‎LDV/Freight Rover Convoy/Sherpa/Maxus/Pilot/Cub, Van/Camper/Day van is the Facebook page which I've found very informative.[/h]

When I got the van the original rubber soundproofing was in place, and was quite effective. I hadn't seen it in any of the other vans I looked at, probably because it gets permanently damp from the inevitable water leaks, and is removed. I took it up and will replace it if I ever locate the source of the leak.

The floor has the following layers, starting from the bottom:

Polyethylene foam approx 10mm thick
    Approx 3mm foam sheet left over from what you put under wooden flooring when laying onto concrete floor.
    Carpet underlay
    Half inch ply
    Vinyl foam backed floor covering

DSCF3555.JPG

The ply sides are now fitted over the insulation, and also a 3mm ply ceiling. The look I've aimed for is first class railway compartment, circa 1920's. I haven't put any windows in yet until I've used it a bit, to get the feel of where they need to go, if indeed additional windows are needed at all.

Never walk past a skip without looking in for something useful. If you run a vehicle, buy an older one without engine management software, even if it uses more fuel than something newer, and escape from the tyranny of the engine warning light coming on and needing diagnostics. Come to an arrangement with others of similar views for exchanging unwanted items, or surplus home grown veg, or another pair of hands for a difficult job. Learn as many useful skills as possible, either at evening classes or by teaching yourself. Always try to fix something that's broken before chucking it, if you fail you won't make it any worse - exceptions being safety related items such as mains electrical goods, brakes on your car, gas appliances, if you aren't certain about what you're doing. Shop in Lidl or Aldi.

I do all of the above, plus most of what's been mentioned earlier, enabling me to live a decent life on low income.

If Scotland's anything like Ireland you won't get many cloud free days. I did a one day course on solar voltaic a few years back, and a solar panel will only give it's rated output in full sunshine. I watched a meter (can't remember if it was a voltmeter or ammeter now) drop to about 10% of it's rated output as soon as the sun hid behind a cloud.

I'd go for a wind turbine if the house isn't surround by other houses or trees, you're likely to get more wind and of course it works night and day.

RL's do a whole lot more than 45 mph. I went away with a TA unit once, at the end of the weekend I noticed a scramble for those who weren't in the 101 gun tractors to get a place in the one RL, as opposed to the several MK's. Reason being that they were a lot faster and would get them home quicker. Lovely beasts!

This cad malarkey, whats the benefits of cad over my pencil drawings?
    There proper drawings, architect style all to scale ect
    Oh n hi

A good pencil drawing to BS308 conveys exactly the same info as a CAD drawing. The difference is drawings can be modified a lot quicker using CAD, and once you're in practice can be produced more quickly as well.

I love to see a hand drawn engineering drawing, some are real works of art, but I'm too cack handed for that.

Speaking as one who'se spent a lot of time over the past year or so looking at and researching various vans, a 2002 VW isn't likely to be anything special. I don't think they were any better than the equivalent, and similar, Transits and such like. The "VW Camper" description may only be playing on a very weak association with the rear engined earlier models, which fetch a good deal more than £1000 even for an MOT failed non-runner. I'd look round and see what else your grand will buy.

Hmmm, the LPG suppliers seem to take the filling of cylinders from their forecourts seriously all right. While most people would be sensible enough to calculate what 80% of their cylinder volume is, there will of course always be one who fills it to the top. I'd say a flare up would be the most likely event, as when you tilt a gas blowlamp. Turning the burner off with the usual knob would stop it, but it would be a bit hair raising, if not hair singeing, to say the least.

I've been thinking on and off about charging a small cylinder from a larger one, where the gas is cheap enough. You'd need to modify both regulators so that they didn't regulate, just allow the passage of gas at full pressure, and an compressed airline pipe, with crimped fittings. And even then how do you know whether it's gas or liquid passing through? Nope, messing about with compressed inflammable gas like that sounds like something done to qualify for a Darwin award.

Am currently installing the kitchen unit in my own build, and have been considering the size of gas bottle to use. The Camping Gaz 907 - 2.4kg - looks handy as I'll only use it for the hob, but as I haven't an exchange cylinder the local shop wants 46 euro (I live in Ireland) for the bottle, plus another 26 for the gas inside! Not amused, as the 14 kg ones I use for my house stove cost around 30 euro for a refill, scarcely more than Camping Gaz charge for 2.4 kg!

I don't really want to use a 14kg cylinder in the van because of it's size, but I hate being ripped off. I can't afford a refillable cylinder, in any case LPG is rare in Ireland.

Any ideas anyone? I plan to fit a woodburner but can't see me cooking on it.

Look at Auto Trader, 2005 Zafara's with that sort of mileage fetch between £1500 and £2000. So by letting the car go you are saving £350 for a new clutch, which is a wearing part and needs replacing once or twice in a car's life, but have to find a whole lot more to replace it with something similar. And if the stars are set against you, the clutch might need doing on that one that before long!

As the door is an insurance job, if I were you I'd get the clutch done, knowing that it won't need doing again for another 89,000 odd miles.

Good luck with the operation.

Good luck with her LB. As a past LR owner now converting a van to a camper, I can't help noticing that while LR's have their problems, they don't suffer much from body rust. Unlike vans ..... !

My Convoy's floor rust originated in those bits of the floor which are attached to the chassis frame. I used Waxoyl in a sprayer to try to get between floor and frame. Time will tell how well I succeeded.

It didn't look too bad to me, and may suit those who prefer a more stationary lifestyle, due to having kids at school or a settled job perhaps.

More sinister was the advert at the top of the webpage promoting a "Traveller Removal" service by a firm of bailiffs. Nasty.

Am converting a van using a caravan for interior bits. It has a 3 way fridge which probably works, but I won't be using it as it's heavy, and for its external size doesn't have all that much room inside. I've also been told that they will flatten a leisure battery in no time, most holiday campers only run it on the way to their destination when the battery can be kept charged by the vehicle engine, and plug it in to the mains hook up when there.

So it's a cool box for me.

This is probably a daft idea which has just occurred to me (not in the bath).

What's to stop you getting your wagon carried through on a transporter to where you intend to leave it? You could quite legally remove or hide the number plates as it wasn't being driven on the road, at the time. Put 'em back on when stationary.

Told you it was daft!

Also keep your eyes open for the 2 litre drinks bottles, or PET bottles as they are sometimes known. Cut them in half and you have little cloches to put over seedlings in the spring, keeps the slugs out and keeps them a little bit warmer and out of the wind. Make a small hole in the lower half of the bottle for air. Also, turn them upside down and partly bury them next to thirsty plants such as tomatoes, then you just keep them filled with water. That's better than watering the ground as a lot simply runs off out of reach of the roots.

Intercity buses run a reasonable service, but out in the further back of beyond bus frequencies range from weekly to never. Best get the thumb out!

I've never been asked for a passport on the ferry, although Ryanair insist on them. Logically, as there's no need for a passport when crossing the land border between north and south then one shouldn't be needed at any other entry point.