Posts by astartosteerby

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

Yes I had a look under the black trim bit, it's perfect but diverts water down the edges of each side of the bonnet and tips it into the battery tray and it's equivalent bit on the other side, which then goes rusty. I'm told that water gets in past the wiper spindles, but I can't see how when the wipers cover them fairly well and I've stuffed lots of grease around the spindle shafts.

I think leaking LDV's are a mystery forever shrouded from mankind. We must await the arrival of a higher intelligence for enlightenment.

Convoy back axles are known for grumbling, at high mileages (over 200,000 it seems) they need rebuilding, although as this might just mean bearing replacement it's not something to scrap them for. Might be worth having a look at the intermediate propshaft bearing as they've been known to play up, give it a wiggle to check for excess movement sideways.

That's bad grammar frame69. The correct word is basicalityishness!

I considered a water heater, but preferring something simple that works to something complex that's likely to break down, I just use the kettle either on the gas hob or the stove top. A water heater does give the option of rigging up a shower hose though.

This one's been discussed elsewhere on this site, the sticking point seems to be "drunk in charge of a vehicle" rather than drink driving. From reading court reports in local papers over the years the drunk in charge seems to be rarely used, possibly because it's difficult to prove. After all I could be rat arsed in my own house, and still be "in charge" of a vehicle if I have access to the keys, which I would have as they would be in the house with me. I'd say if you were tucked up quietly in bed, with the keys nowhere near the cab, you'd be safe enough if the plod came a-knocking in the middle of the night. I have a few beers from time to time when out in the van for that reason.

I use a 7 kg camping gaz bottle which lasts me 6-7 weeks, only use it for cooking on two hobs and occasionally the grill. Refill around £26. A bigger one would be cheaper but would encroach on storage space.

Scammell.jpg

My Grandfather used to drive Scammells like this one from the factory in Watford up to a port somewhere in Scotland. They'd have a tank, some other vehicle or a cargo of crates and the whole lot would be loaded onto a ship for Russia and he'd return by train. Each journey took a week. No power steering of course and roundabouts on the A1 had to be taken in first gear as it was physically impossible to turn the wheel fast enough to get round otherwise!

You'll have a job to steer a vehicle that's fitted with power steering if it isn't working, as you're fighting against the stationary pump. A vehicle which only had it as an option must have been able to be steered without problems with a manual system, it just wants a bit more turning of the wheel with a bit more force, but should still be doable. Unless you have a medical problem which prevents you from doing this, I'd spend the money on overhauling your manual system. When considering adding something to a vehicle always remember that it adds weight, costs money and is something else to go wrong!

That's very kind of you vanman84. Fortunately my son in law works round the corner from LDV dealers the Heathrow Van Centre, so he's able to get parts for me. What's the name of the place you know, it wouldn't hurt to build up my list of suppliers.

"Human excretions"..... I can tell you've been to uni!

Have just seen the film, "The Lady in the Van". It's good fun, but any Mail reading house dweller is going to assume from now on
    that the camper that's just pulled up outside their house will be there for the next 15 years, either on the road or in someone's driveway. Surrounded by bin bags of rubbish or belonging, with the occupant increasingly deranged. Damn Alan Bennett!

Yes Vanman and lowconvoy, I imported the van as a panel van from the UK as I particularly wanted an LDV as I'd heard on this site that they are low tech and easily fixed, an essential requirement if it's going to be used away from home and workshop. I figured, incorrectly as it turned out, that most of the faults would lie with the Ford engine and transmission, parts for which are easily found in Ireland. Of course what's gone wrong has largely been brakes, which are not only peculiar to LDV's and therefore hard to get here, but are only fitted to the rarer 2.8t single rear wheel Convoy! Made a rod for my own back in getting that model, but I was attracted by the large wheel, high ground clearance aspect. Not 4x4 but can be driven down rutted tracks with confidence so long as the surface is firm.

Yep Wurzel, Co Mayo - you've figured out the Irish registration system! Quite sensible, unusually for the place, as the first two figures give the year of first registration (01) and the "10" in the rest of the numbers tells you it was imported second hand. The letters represent the county. No elitist personal registrations here either, you get what you're given!

Thanks Fly. Same to you mate, Brittany sounds good give my regards to Asterix.

I went to town on insulating my van after reading the recommendations to do so on this site, from people who have froze in the winter as a result of not having enough. As stated earlier in the thread, panel vans and probably Lutons too have enough thickness of ribbing in the sides and roof to put Kingspan or similar rigid foam in between, without it intruding on your living area as you probably going to screw ply to these ribs anyway and lose the space behind them. Insulation thickness on my Convoy varies from 25 to 50mm depending on rib thickness. That and a Julian stove keeps Jack Frost away from my unmentionables.

Don't park in a nice open area conveniently close to decent music pubs, that's prominently signed as "Market Square", or similar, and expect to have a lie in the following morning. Amazing how much noise the market lads make putting up their stalls, possibly because I was parked in one of their spots.

I've got a low roof Convoy, the 2.8 ton model which is big enough for just myself. Pics are on my thread LDV Convoy Camper conversion. I find I can walk around inside with my head bowed, I'm 5'9", but any netting on the ceiling would be out of the question. I arranged the fittings so that the full length and height of the van is retained, and around a third of the width so I can still carry long or tall things. It's a lot easier to draw your planned fittings out to scale on squared paper than to actually make them then find they won't fit!

Get rid of your rubbish often and not let it build up. Half a breadbag full can be put in a coat pocket and dropped into the nearest street waste bin, any more than that gets awkward.

Thanks very much for going to all that trouble Lowconvoy, unfortunately my clutch lever and gear linkage look nothing like the one you showed me! Thanks for trying anyway, Convoys/400's had around six different engines and almost as many gearboxes fitted throughout the model's life so it's never straightforward finding the bit which applies to yours. Mine is a 2001 Convoy with the Ford 2.5di and MT75 gearbox. Clutch cable has a nipple at both ends with no obvious adjuster at either the pedal or clutch operating lever ends, however you have this bobbin thing at the engine side of the bulkhead. One bit turns in relation to another, but to no obvious effect. Sometimes turning it improves gear selection, and others there's no difference. Gear selection improves with driving or otherwise, with no input from me. All very baffling.

I have a LDV Convoy with the Ford banana 2.5di engine and cable operated clutch. Since replacing the cable in June I've never managed to keep the adjustment right, can't fully disengage the clutch leading to stiff and crunching gear changes.

How do you adjust the clutch cable? Places I've looked include the LDV manual (doesn't mention the cable at all), the 2.5di Transit manual (uses a different adjuster at the pedal end) and the LDV Facebook page.

Any ideas out there please? Do I need to be a member of some secret society to be allowed to know the mystery of LDV clutch adjustment? Or is it something that mankind is destined never to know?

I haven't looked this up yet, but from memory I don't think the Chinese were actually banned from having more than one child. They could if they wanted, but the second and subsequent kiddies couldn't go to college, or get child benefits or such like. In other words any children after the first had to be financed from the parent's own pockets. After a quick Google to make sure I'm not talking utter bollocks, my memory hasn't yet been completely obliterated by serial hangovers and the foregoing is true. Also, certain ethnic minorities were exempt from the rule.

I don't think that starting off big, that is with more people than your immediate family and a property larger than that which can be readily bought or rented with whatever money your have saved or being earned, is the way forward for what you want to achieve. I've accomplished a bit of self sufficiency by moving over to Ireland from the UK, and building my house from scratch to my own design, but still staying within the system. Much as I'd have liked a straw bale house or similar, there was no way anyone was going to give me a mortgage for one so good old concrete blocks had to be the construction method. Nothing to stop me using my own ideas for heating, insulation and more minor details though. Outside I have my veg garden, polytunnel, solar water heating, garage/workshop to keep my vehicles going at minimum cost and (one day) a planned electricity generating wind turbine. While not part of a commune, I co-operate with the few others in my area with similar ideas. We swap surpluses of produce and help each other out with a few hours of work during busy times, nothing formal but it works.

This way allows for differences in lifestyles and aspirations among us all, I doubt if we could ever all live in one place and to one regime. While the west of Ireland is a sort of sump to which Brits and others who prefer the place to their own countries gravitate, I think it would work to some extent anywhere, certainly when I lived in Northampton I had a circle of friends and workmates with similar ideas to my own, and with whom I would co-operate.

As E F Schumacher said, small is beautiful, so start off that way and if it develops into something more organised all well and good. If it doesn't, well you still have something for yourself.

I rented lock up garages for years before I had my own house, for working on the various vehicles I had. I'd say they'd be a miserable place in which to live, dark, ill-ventilated and you'd be lucky to last a week before you were dobbed in to the council. Any of the alternatives mentioned in this thread would be a better bet.

This is handy for the daily dump. http://greatbritishpublictoiletmap.rca.ac.uk/. Otherwise I use a vacuum flask that has lost its ability to keep my coffee hot, being very careful to keep it separate from the one I actually use as a flask. This can then be emptied down the nearest street drain as passers by assume it's cold coffee that's going down. If they insist on peering you can always claim that it's old Lucozade.