Posts by astartosteerby

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

No immediate panic I'd have thought, it takes months sometimes years to get planning permission for something, you've plenty of time to sort out an alternative location. Of course, if you're feeling mischievous, there's nothing to stop you putting in a planning objection yourself! Wasn't that a rare slug you spotted there the other day? And you feel sure there's old Roman remains there!

I've been thinking about converting an ordinary pushbike to electric for a while now. First to get would be the motor I'd say, about 250 watt would be about the same as hard peddalling. Any suggestions as to where a roughly 250 watt, 12 or 24 volt motor could be found? Can't think of anything automotive of that power, save a starter motor and they are not suited to continuous running anyway.

Just back from the Torremolinos area of Spain, where I've been researching the idea of working for British owned care homes. There's a few out there caring for those expats who retired to Spain about 20 years ago and now are unable to look after themselves in their own homes. There was polite interest, but no more. My lack of Spanish is a handicap as that's needed for interaction with the local health system, something I hadn't thought of. Pity, was looking forward to a sunny winter in the van.

Ha ha great retirement.I have told my son that i will and have supported him all i can and all i wish is for a little cabin at the end of his hopefully very rural long garden ,with my stove ,a rocking chair by trees so i can hear the birds when i am very old.You could call your van something housie..."Mount Pleasant""The Mansion"or something and let the postie know:D.

My farming Godfather had a little old lady living in an old railway carriage round the back of the farmhouse, this was in the sixties, she used to work there I think. I always thought this was cool even as a little lad, but no doubt that arrangement wouldn't be allowed nowadays.

Thanks for the replies. I have an address and am also Garda cleared to work with the elderly and vulnerable, which is the Irish version of DBS. Sort of thing I have in mind is spending the winter somewhere sunny, staying on a campsite and working in a residential care home. There's a high turnover in that line of work, in Ireland anyway, so agencies might not be too fussed about not living in bricks and mortar. That's my take on the situation anyway.

I've just qualified as a HCA, and am thinking of working at this, possibly for an agency, while living out of my van. I lived out of it for three months last year so I know something of that part of it, I was just wondering if anyone else out there does the same sort of work while travelling and if so how they're getting on.

I have an LDV Convoy and have an interest in them, and I've never heard of a 3850kg model. I'm not insulting your intelligence or anything, but are you sure you're not looking at the Gross Train Weight on the plate on the driver's door pillar? I have a 2.8t Convoy but the GTW is 4350kg, that is total weight of van plus trailer and their respective loads. But I wouldn't need a C1 licence to drive it without the trailer.

You can use bathroom scales to weigh the vehicle as you go along, I did with my conversion. My scales go up to 120kg, so assuming each wheel on a 3500kg truck will have a maximum weight on it of 1000kg, then jacking up the truck and dropping the wheel onto a stout bit of wood or steel section of about a metre long (length not crucial so long as it won't bend or break), and at a point one tenth along from the wheel end, (so if it's a metre long drop the wheel centre at a point 100 from the end), then the maximum weight on your bathroom scales (at the other end e.g 900mm from the wheel centre) will be 100kg. Lower the wheel down slowly in case you break your nice scales and get into trouble for that. Multiply the scales reading by ten to get the weight, do all the wheels, add up each figure and you have your vehicle weight. Mind you I wouldn't have bothered with all that if the nearest weighbridge wasn't a 30 mile round trip away!

I live on the side of a mountain, lots of wind, and my tunnel has been up for 5 years now. It's starting to rip at one end so I dug up the polythene at that end and repositioned it, doesn't flap about so much now. Small rips have been repaired with the special tunnel cover tape. I'd cover it again with decent plastic and fold it at the ends so that it's as tight as possible.

Is a roof vent really necessary? I have a couple from a caravan I could fit in my LDV, but have never felt the need for that amount of fresh air, however I do appreciate not getting wet from the roof leaks which could come from a roof vent. Living in Ireland getting too hot isn't usually a problem, but getting too wet is.

I've never bothered with a fridge or powered coolbox, that way I have no fretting about power consumption and I don't really have the space for either. I buy chilled goods like milk in small containers, that way I'm using the shop's fridge and it lasts long enough even in summer if wrapped in a damp dishcloth. Also if bought in a garage shop that makes me a customer, giving me the right to top up my water from their hose, get rid of my waste water down their drain, make full use of their toilet, and empty my bin.

You're in the right place after all, looks like a couple of Reliant fiends here! Checking my Haynes manual and from looking at my own Robin the axle tubes are only held on by what looks like a pin passing through the diff casing to the axle tube. I'd imagine what prevents the tube parting from the diff casing is mostly friction between case and tube, was shrunk on maybe. I've never investigated further as I've never seen a need to want to remove the axle tubes, although if you're building a trike you presumably want it narrower than the car. Can't think what you'll do for half shafts though.

You could try asking on the Reliant Facebook site, what isn't known of there isn't worth knowing.

For the past eight years I've used a home made solar heating system made from two second hand radiators in boxes fronted with corrugated acrilic, normally used with corrugated steel as windows. This backs up my solid fuel stove which normally heats my hot water cylinder, but which isn't used in hot weather. I have 2 sq meters of heating area which is enough to fill my cylinder with enough hot water for a bath during a sunny afternoon. Total cost was around 450 euros, but something smaller would cost less. I live in the west of Ireland which is hardly the sunshine capital of Europe, so ought to work anywhere in the British Isles.

I spent around 4000 euro (A bit over £3000) in total. I paid around 1000 euro for the van, 300 for the caravan for conversion bits, with the balance on parts for putting the van in order - I bought a pup I'm afraid - and items like the stove, ply sheeting and odds and ends. I doubt if a 2001 LDV Convoy home conversion is worth anything like 4000 euro though, so I won't see the money back in cash terms. Lived in it for 3 sunny months last year though and may do the same if the snow and hail ever stops this year.

I live in Mayo in the west of Ireland, and wild camping is hassle free in my experience. Some laybys with stunning views to wake up to.

I stuffed those gaps over the windows with the mineral wool insulation I got from the caravan I broke for parts, then covered the sides over with 4-5mm thick ply. It's light and bends enough to fit the body sides, but remember to mark where the vertical struts are before you start screwing it all together, so you know where to drill screw holes. Looking good so far!

I've got a Julian stove and it doesn't just warm the van. It gets rid of paper and cardboard rubbish, turning it to heat. It's a clothes drier, a plate warmer, keeps the kettle hot and you go to bed with the light from the fire flickering around the van. A twenty minute walk along a beach gets you an armful of fuel, enough for a couple of nights. Recommended!

Erm ..... the 2 litre petrol fitted from 1952 - 58 ..... could be my information is a little out of date! Seriously though the Duratorque wasn't Ford's finest of Diesels so I wouldn't be surprised to hear of further problems besides the usual ones with the engine management system.

Woteva u do dont tow start it. The chain tensioner is hydrolic an wont pull the chain tite without it runnin but its ok on cranking. It will prob jump a tooth an stuff the engine.

That's a new one on me vanman,I had Land Rovers with hydraulic chain tensioners for years and was always tow, hand or bump starting them with no ill effect that I could see. Don't see how the tensioner knows if it's being turned over on the starter or by some other means.

My Convoy has had a immobiliser at some stage in it's life, but was removed by the time I bought it so it can be done. If you have the non-turbo banana engine with no EMS, there can't be much for the immobiliser to immobilise, only the feeds to the starter and fuel shut off solenoids. Have a peek at the wiring diagram to see how the immobiliser connects to the rest of the vehicle.