Posts by Twister

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

After a modly telling off today, twould appear i've joined the ranks of those who've hogged the book too long :angel: :whistle: Just looked and I didn't realise i'd had it quite as long as I have, life and sprog and whatnot getting in the way. Sorry! Anyway, kick up the arse duly noted, will get it finished this weekend and send on. Aliceswonderland, PM me your address please :)

Book arrived with me today. Having work done on the house over the next few days so everything is a bit hectic, but after that will add my page and try to get it moving asap.

Was it ever decided what would happen to the book once it gets to the end of the list? Been looking through it and 99% of the pages in it are by people who were well known forum regulars but who don't use the forum any longer. Just been chatting with a few of them about the book and a lot of them have fond memories of it, one even saying they'd love to one day get a chance to add another page. Seems a shame if it's going to end up somewhere where those who contribued will never get to see it. I know there was once talk of bringing it to gatherings for people to look through, or of putting the names of everyone who'd contributed to it into a hat and picking one, and that person could have it, but neither of those seem very viable now.

Bloody hell :( I didn't know him in real life, and I didn't really get to know him here on the forum either, but i've read a lot of his posts and thought of him as one of the forum regulars. Very sad news :(

Sorry if this has been posted already, i'm surprised if it hasn't been, but did look and couldn't see it.

Tribal Living is closing down due to, like many forums, a decline in activity. I know there are people here who were also members there, so I thought you'd like to know, in case you want to go and say goodbye -the thread is here: http://www.tribal-living.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=26181 . A poignant reminder to the current regulars here on UkH of the importance of posting regularly if you want the forum to survive - use it or lose it, people :(

As others have said, box/luton vans are probably the best space-wise - you can put the bed above the cab and then use the rest of the van as living space. Many of them have the crawl through to cab so you can get to the driver's seat without having to get out of the van. An LDV or Transit luton van would probably suit you :) If you didn't want something so boxxy, then a bog standard LDV Convoy or Transit van (high top, so you can stand up) are still plenty roomy enough for one person.

Unladen weight is usually on a little plate in the cab of most vans, or if you're buying a bog standard empty van and it's a common make you can Google and find the unladen weight quite easily. Or take it to a public weighbridge, doesn't cost very much.

There are lots of ways to keep a conversion underweight, lots of strong but lightweight woods you can use for building the seating and kitchen area. You'll probably find all your belongings weigh a lot more than the converted van itself, so it's a case of declutter declutter declutter. If you weren't 100% sure van living was for you, you could perhaps look at putting some of your stuff in storage for the first few months, so that if you decided to go back to house living you don't have to start from scratch with furniture etc.

There're a couple of good Facebook 'van for sale' groups for live-in vehicles - already converted vans come up on there often, as well as unconverted/semi converted ones which you could put your own stamp on. Good for inspiration if nothing else, i'll message the links to you on fb x

Someone I think it was Twister mentioned that no-one is born bad or born evil, many of you came up with 'he's just a child!'. Stop and think for a minute leaving this case aside of some of the cases in the news in recent and distant times perpetrated by children, sometimes much younger than 14.

Yes, do look at those, and look at the shitty backgrounds most of those kids had, or the circumstances that led to them doing whatever they did. It's very rare that someone just 'isn't wired right', and in that case they need help and yes, if that means keeping them away from the public then fine, but just baying for their blood doesn't do much. But more commonly they are children who's lives could've turned out differently had they had the support and guidance they need as children, and are still redeemable if given the correct help and support as adults.

I understand that you're not at work and this forum is your 'down time', but I have to agree with DaisyDreamer, if you're (as you said) 'in training for one of the professions that identifies and helps the perpetrators of acts like this', your attitude is concerning. How are you going to be able to help them if you're coming at it with the attitude that some people are beyond help? :S

For what it's worth I don't think you're a troll, you just have strong opinions about things. Just like me, so we'll probably get used to butting heads :pp :)

I think you know this

He will probably end up getting compensation for the stress it has caused him.

isn't true though. And if he does get counselling, good! Counselling would be a lot more use than scrubbing toilet floors will - you only have to look at the amount of people who frequently re-offend to see that just sticking them in a cell doesn't work :p

But yeah, leaking his name (which judging by social media may have already happened) achieves nothing.

1. We don't know if it's the right name.

2. We don't know if he did what he's been accused of yet.

How many people have been attacked or even killed for (for example) being sex offenders, and then it turns out they weren't at all, they were some innocent person who's life was ruined by rumours and speculation. What if someone names the wrong kid and he gets attacked? How would you know if it was the right name or not? The press have got it wrong before, hell, even the police get it wrong sometimes.

Even if the right name was leaked and the person in question had done it, what happens then? He gets the shit beaten out of him? His house gets set on fire? His family get attacked? His friends? Vigilante 'justice' never solved anything. How would that make us any better than he is? It's just perpetuating the cycle. The best thing we could do for this or any other kid is give him the help he needs to turn his life around - attacking him wouldn't bring those dogs back but helping him will stop him doing something like this again. 'An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind'.

Twister. I totally agree with everything you have have written. You have perfectly articulated everything that I wanted to say on the subject... thanks for saving me a whole load of brain power (it's been a long day at work).

Haha! You're welcome. Why use a sentence when several paragraphs will do, that's my motto! :D :p

yes the lad may have a learning disability, etc., what if he doesn't? What then at the moment no one knows anything about him so we dont know if he has a history of fireraising or cruelty.

People aren't 'just evil' or 'just cruel' though, something has caused that, their upbringing or traumatic experiences or whatever. If he did have a history of fireraising (as opposed to a prank which went wrong), then thats even more reason to offer help and compassion, because if someone is wandering round setting things on fire, there's something not right with them. The idea that some people are just bad and can't be helped is what keeps offenders reoffending, because they're written off and ostracised rather than embraced and supported.

I've worked at kennels and rescue centres, I have three dogs of my own plus numerous other animals - I love animals and i'm gutted by what's happened, but I also know a fair bit about 'offenders' and the sort of things that motivate acts like this. It is possible to have compassion for offenders as well as the victims. If more people were a bit more compassionate towards others, the offending rate wouldn't be as high as it is in the first place.

Off topic a bit so I won't go into it here, but I actually wish places like MDH had a stricter rehoming policy! There is a balance somewhere between having very strict blanket policies and having none at all - the problem with the latter is that because it's so easy to acquire a dog, some people adopt on a whim and mistreat, neglect, abandon or return the animal at a later date.

Meant to add to this - since the fire, people have been queuing up outside MDH's sister shelter and online offering to adopt the dogs that survived the fire. Whilst it's lovely that they care and want to help (and i'm not knocking that at all), how many of those people were planning to adopt a dog had the fire not happened? I'm guessing not the vast majority, else there wouldn'tve been so many dogs at the centre in the first place, so presumably a lot of those people are well meaning but acting impulsively because of the emotive situation, rather than making a well researched, thought out commitment. That's what the policies need to be there for.

I'm also amazed they have so many animals. When I have rescued in the past I have really struggled to find a place that would allow me to take one, perhaps they need to lower their standards a bit? They look at the family composition, some animals must come from homes with kids? They look at your fences, not all dogs will run away. They look at your employment, 2 dogs at home are often better than one, most people need employment. etc

Isn't it better to home to a less than perfect place than to have to look after so many or even put some down?

Last time I checked, Manchester Dogs Home is more like a pound than a rescue centre, meaning you turn up, choose a dog, pay your money and take it home and that's that, rather than the centre matching you with a dog and doing homechecks and assessments like many rescue centres do. Unless they've changed their policies in the last year or so, Manchester have very few criteria for rehoming at all, other than that you show them proof of address and that all your family come to view the dog before taking it home. I don't believe they homecheck or have any restrictions on what hours you work. So the large amount of dogs there are most likely because they are 'less adoptable' dogs (old, bull breeds, 'boring' colours) and because of the sheer number that get abandoned, rather than that they make it difficult for people to adopt.

Off topic a bit so I won't go into it here, but I actually wish places like MDH had a stricter rehoming policy! There is a balance somewhere between having very strict blanket policies and having none at all - the problem with the latter is that because it's so easy to acquire a dog, some people adopt on a whim and mistreat, neglect, abandon or return the animal at a later date.

My brother was in prison, and it definitely did not rehabilitate him. He said that he wouldn't be afraid of going back, it's no deterrent, and that life is easier in there than out here.

I also know (lots of, actually) people who've been to prison, and it's not cushy in any way. A games console or a dvd player hardly makes up for a loss of freedom. People who find life 'easier' in prison than on the outside generally have multiple issues (usually mental health or addiction) going on, so like I said, those people need rehabilitation so that they're able to cope in the real world. Someone saying they find prison easier than real life is a sad reflection on how difficult their life must be rather than how easy prison is.

The kid who (allegedly :p ) did this isn't going to get away with a slap on the wrist, nor did I say he should, but normal, healthy people do not go round setting fire to things for no reason, which means there is an underlying issue here, and if you don't deal with that, nothing is going to be any different when he gets back out of prison.

How would you be reacting if it had been a childrens home or a home for people with learning difficulties. He would be facing a very long time in jail for mass murder. To me this is no different. If it was a prank that had gone wrong then that makes no difference in fact it is worse. If is was a prank then it could well have been humans that have been burned alive with molten plastic dripping on them from the roof.

I for one hope his name is leaked to the press

paul

I wouldn't be feeling any differently at all :S I am no less horrified because it happened to animals rather than people. All life is valuable. Regardless of why he did it he's almost certainly going to end up going to jail. What would you rather happened to him? How would some of the things people have suggested doing to him lessen the chance of this happening again? Is beating the shit out of him going to make him want to behave from now on, or is it going to make him feel more ostracised and resentful than ever? Of course if it was a prank that doesn't make it ok, I never said it did, but this is a child we're talking about. He's either very damaged or very stupid, but he doesn't deserve his life written off because of it. Even if it was an adult who'd done it, i'd say the same thing - people who do things like this need help. Two wrongs don't make a right - lowering ourselves to a level where emotions overtake reason and compassion is completely counter productive.

I believe there is way too much leniency shown towards offenders nowadays, there is no way that he is unaware of right and wrong, and if you're old enough to commit a crime of this level, and this callousness, then yeah, they should throw the book at him. He, at worst, will end up in a young offenders institution, with a ps3, and alot of opportunities that most people wouldn't be able to afford access to, and that's proper out of order.

Prison is (or ought to be) a chance for someone to be rehabilitated, not a way to make them suffer. The 'opportunities' someone gets in jail are often ones that they didn't have whilst growing up, and may help them to get their life back on track. Many people who turn to committing crime already felt ostracised from the rest of the community - ostracising them further doesn't achieve anything. What hope has this kid got of a successful future if people are already writing him off?

Is this still a hippy website? Some of you might be better suited to the Daily Mail comments section.

We don't know anything about the ALLEGED perpetrator yet except what's been reported in the media, most of which is speculation and hearsay. No-one loves dogs more than me, i'm horrified at what's happened, but this is a CHILD we're talking about. An older child, but a child nonetheless. He may have a learning difficulty, he may be having a shite time at home, it might just be a dare or a prank that went wrong. Or something else entirely, we don't know yet and why it happened and we might never know. Some of the comments i've read about him are awful - set him on fire/jail him for life/give him a kicking. What is that going to achieve? A friend said it better than me when she wrote 'I actually feel quite sorry for the lad. If he meant to kill that many animals, he is in serious need of help and is facing a fairly desolate future. If he didn't mean to kill all those animals, not only does he have to live with what he's done, but he also has to live with everyone's reaction to what he's done. At his age I think it's more than likely it was just an act of mindless vandalism with consequences he had never even imagined.' Exactly. Giving him a public flogging isn't going to bring the dead dogs back, but giving him help and support may help stop the same thing happening again.

Black cats and dogs have always been the hardest colour to rehome, even before the selfie craze started. Some people see them as unlucky, and I guess they're often overlooked in favour of more 'interesting' colours :(

As a child, I had a black cat and a black dog and they were both lovely. In the future i'd like to adopt a black Staffie (which happens to be the hardest breed to find homes for, as well as the hardest colour!), I love black dogs :wub:

Yep, done this whilst out and about in the wilds. Block a nostril and blow!

Argh! No! The thought of that makes me feel ill :vomit: Actually anything to do with snot makes me feel ill. The hardest part of parenting so far has been dealing with snot. I would rather change a thousand pooey nappies than wipe up snot *shudders* :panic:

I've never seen any doggers when i've been parked up anywhere (that I know of :S ) but there is one lovely beauty spot on the outside of Gloucester that's infamous as a dogging spot, and I know someone who did go there to park up for the night and got the shock of their life when people started peering in their windows at 2am! :D :eek:

I don't think there's anything I couldn't leave behind if I had to (since we're not including pets and people). Nothing I would risk my life trying to save, anyway. I suppose the worst thing to lose would be photos, especially Rosie's baby ones, since they aren't replaceable - I have many of them backed up online though :thumbup: I wouldn't like to leave behind my camera, musical instruments, presents i've been given by friends, postcards or letters i've got from people, and some special ornaments and things, and i'd be pretty pissed off if I lost my van too, since i'm working so hard on converting it, but most of those things are replaceable, or at least live-withoutable.

Most of my other posessions are easily replaceable. In fact I try and declutter every few months, and stuff I haven't used/noticed for a while gets given to a charity shop or freecycled.

Mercs in general have a good reputation, but parts are more expensive than some other vans.

I have an LDV Convoy, still converting it at the moment so I haven't driven far in it (bar the 100 mile journey it made home without a problem even after being stood for several months) but they're pretty popular as traveller/live in/festival vehicles. Cheap to buy, cheap to get parts for (lots of secondhand parts about too), good on fuel (or mine is anyway), tall enough to stand up in and plenty of room inside for one person, or for a couple of people if you're not living in it fulltime - I plan to use it with my partner, our daughter and my stepson when he's here, plus dogs. Not the most comfortable thing to drive, they handle a bit like a boat, but reliable, and basic enough that you can easily do your own mechanics on them. They're one of those vehicles people either love or hate, but for their money I think they're pretty great :thumbup:

I HAVE NO SENSE OF SMELL - it wasn't my fault :(

- - - Updated - - -

On the bright side, I have no sense of smell, so as long as I didn't look at it, it really wasn't all that bad to clean up :thumbup: