Posts by Northern Princess

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

Quote from Ma-Crap

Death, I think, should be celebrated as a happy time mostly. A celebration of that person's life. I don't know if my views will change when I lose someone really close

Alot of the time how you react to death is how your loved one died. My Mum had suffered for years with MS and in the end it was actually lung cancer that killed her (never smoked in her life!!, dad smokes a pipe!) she died after a couple of days in a coma, at home, cos dad demanded she stayed at home to die and not go into hospital. But her funeral tho sad there was a relief that her pain was all over and she wouldn't have to suffer ever again, so yes there was a kind of celebration of her life.

here is something I have just been sent today.

"IF I HAD MY LIFE TO LIVE OVER - by Erma Bombeck
    [B]( written after she found out she was dying from cancer).[/B]

I would have gone to bed when I was sick instead of pretending the earth would go into a holding pattern if I weren't there for the day.
    I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose before it melted in storage.
    I would have talked less and listened more.
    I would have invited friends over to dinner even if the carpet was stained, or the sofa faded.
    I would have eaten the popcorn in the 'good' living room and worried much less about the dirt when someone wanted to light a fire in the fireplace.
    I would have taken the time to listen to my grandfather ramble about his youth.
    I would have shared more of the responsibility carried by my husband.
    I would never have insisted the car windows be rolled up on a summer day because my hair had just been teased and sprayed.
    I would have sat on the lawn with my new clothes and not worried about grass stains.
    I would have cried and laughed less while watching television and more while watching life.
    I would never have bought anything just because it was practical, wouldn't show soil, or was guaranteed to last a lifetime.
    Instead of wishing away nine months of pregnancy, I'd have cherished every moment and realized that the wonderment growing inside me was the only chance in life to assist God in a miracle.

I usually have porridge and honey, only recently discovered the joys of this :D .

But today we had to try a new cereal that I was sent as a product trial for research, A bit too sweet for me, so back to porridge tomorrow.

Beans on toast is a weekend treat

Hey dreadyfairy, really sorry to see the sparkle is fading slightly on your plans, I do hope things pick up and you hang on in there till they get better (you know they will get better). I do believe its this time of year that gets us all down, I think there is alot of tears for no reason going on at the moment. But the spring is coming and the sun will be shining down on us all soon, time to hit the road and have fun.

Love an hugs to you and your man
    NP

Its weird 2 things here mentioned as solutions have/had the opposite effect on me. I had a coil fitted after I had my son was born, and I have really suffered badly with periods compared to what I did before, they became really heavy and uncomfortable. And as for exercise, well I end up not going to the gym, find it too uncomfortable so can't face it. when I go bodyboarding, well I just hope there isn't a shark nearby!!!!:eek:

Quote from Stormypagan

I think it is great, if everyone is happy why not!! And I think but dont quote me, that you can donate breast milk in hospitals for prem babies!!

The Milk Banks they're called, there is a few around Britain, when my Son was born prem at 26 weeks, and as hard as I tried to produce enough milk, the milk bank provided donated breast milk alongside my own meagre amount. At the time the nearest bank was sheffield, but they set one up at my hospital whilst we were there. They are always after more milk.

http://www.wirralhealth.org.uk…_health/news/milkbank.asp

I was very greatful and lucky to get this extra help for my son when he so needed it most.

Originally Posted by ms-violet
    Switch off electrical equipment when not in use, instead of putting them on 'standby'. Apparently, in the UK, we waste around the equivalent of two power stations' worth of electricity each year because of using the standby button.

Just been looking around on the internet and discovered this

Power Safer Power Saving Single Adaptor

http://www.iguanadirect.co.uk/…=10528&productAreaCode=10

does anyone know anything about these, if they are useful or pointless??

I think as I've got older I am less bothered. I mean years ago I wouldn't even go into a communal changing room and that was usually just underwear showing but now I have no qualms about stripping off in the Gym changing room, in a corner (but I am not one of those that stride about naked)

My fella likes going nude on beaches, but once on a small Greek island we decided to follow this dog along a path, it took us to a lovely deserted beach, but after a while of sunbathing we discovered this dog rather liked my man and it took us a long time to get rid of it.

If I find the photos of the dog chasing him through the sea I'll post it!!

But I feel a bit too vunerable for some reason for nudist bathing, prefer just topless.

I was in Czech about 14 years ago and ate really well as a Veggie, some excellent food. But I have found that if you eat eggs most places will do you an omelete, I have found this even in a middle of nowhere hotel in Morocco,

I can't imagine being a vegan travelling though. As I've said previously even a loaf of bread I bought in Italy I found to have animal fat in it!!!! :vomit:

I quit about 9 years ago, best thing I did. I will never forget running up to the top of a mountain feeling great (Had never had that feeling before when I was a smoker, crawling wheezing to the top!!) and that is what stopped me from ever smoking again. I found the habit of smoking was hardest to get over, first fag in morning or after food etc.. started to peel grapes as something to do with my fingers instead!!

Problem now is I do really hate ciggie smoke can smell a smoker a mile off, can't stand going to pubs where people smoke, horrible horrible horrible

It is a wonderful feeling knowing you have quit, so good luck to everyone who is in the process, and go run up a hill and breathe in the fresh air.:)

What I want to know is where did this idea of all veggies eat Nut roast for Christmas in 16 years think I had one once when my dad made it bout 10 years ago, and it was pretty good. I always make myself leek pie, think I might try a nutroast this year

Quote from Renegade-Ego

You got 11 right!

Hey Ren,must be something in the Mersey water making us better than the rest of these :harhar: ,
    we know our country,:plod::
    so we can stay ....oh lucky us :redeye:

Quote from Doktor Atomik

I'd heard you were quite partial to a juicy veggie sausage :whistle:

Hmmm... how come he's only heard?? so he doesn't know for a fact then!! ;)

Well I don't like the taste of meat, have never had a bacon sandwich in my life and the thought of eating one is totally alien to me, as I said before its just the gelatine in products that has gotten me over the years but I am trying. In italy recently I bought a loaf of packaged sliced bread, to make butties on the beach, to discover it had animal fat in it :barf:

Quote from Doktor Atomik

Doesn't taste anything like meat, imho.

Its pretending to be meat, had the texture of meat, tho it might have changed, its about 12 years since I ate anything of hers. I just remember going to a friends and they gave me a Linda McCartney lasagne, I could hardly eat it, looked too much like meat for me, never again.

I have to admit that tho I class myself as a vegetarian (16years), I actually only don't eat meat (fish is meat) I have over the years ate jelly and jelly sweets etc all of which contain pork or beef gelatine, I am now no longer eating anything with Gelatine in but I find this the hardest thing to give up, Vegetarian sweets (cola bottles) are so expensive compared to gelatine ones :vomit:

ps I hate Linda MaCartneys food, its just like meat and I hate Meat

This last week every morning when I put the light on in bathroom or kitchen you can suddenly see the wasps on the outside of the window trying to get in, and in they get!!!!!! sorry but its been war here, don't want them hiding in our flat for the winter.

If only I had some household staff, apparently years ago, when outside, the Royals would cover some poor member of staff in Jam to distract the wasps and flies away from their picnic........

Nothing for me, never had my ears pierced, I think that was my way of being different, every girl I knew at school had ears pierced, so be different and have none, don't do jewellery, always thought what happens if I ever get married, I don't want to wear a ring, guess I don't have to worry about that anymore, 18 years together and never a sniff of an engagement!!

I am all natural...... own coloured hair (no chemicals) and no piercings or tattoos.