Posts by marshlander

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

Hi Marshlander - how lovely to see some of your hidden talents ^^

Your first mask photo is visible to me, but not the second and I don't know why ...

Your metalwork isn't showing, Bigbear.

The link takes to a page that says 'nowhere to be found'.

Just like Marshlander's

That's weird, all the photographs seem to be showing up showing up in Safari on my MBP.

Paul, any ideas?

I am in awe of you clever people. Thank you for posting pictures of your lovely work. I'm afraid I deal more in noise than light, but I hope you don't mind me sharing the mask I decorated for Carnevale di Venzia in 2018 because, for me it was an achievement and I enjoyed making it far more than I anticipated. Much as I love visual art, creating it is not my thing at all. I cheated by starting with a basic white papier maché Columbina mask and glued fabric to cover it, edged it with braiding and decorated it with costume gems and I daresay sequins were involved too eventually. When I'd done that I added the veil that masked the lower part of my face which was made from two layers of fabric, one patterned with a black lace on top. This is the mask I wore with the costume French Whale Fan made for me during the carnival.

fullsizeoutput_bbf.jpeg

Once the official carnevale days are over masking is no longer allowed. However, we went to see our good friends in La Bauta mask and costume shop and booked into one of their workshop sessions. I wanted to have a go at painting a Bauta mask in a traditional pattern. Having not attempted to paint anything decoratively for forty years it was a bit of a challenge, but I'm quite pleased with the result which sits on the boat now. Mine is the one on the left in the picture below.

ukhippy.com/attachment/28191/

We are off to Venice again in February for next year's carnevale. This will be my third, but probably FWF's thirtieth. He has bought the fabrics and started work on the costumes. When I go over in a couple of weeks I start on my new mask. This time our theme will be taken from Fellini films ... I am anticipating some very over the top bishopry!

Just had a message from the wife of a fellow songwriter to let me know he has died suddenly. Second muso friend gone in a few weeks. Both times it was within forty-eight hours of performing on the same programme. I'm just hoping everyone from last night's gig is okay. The guitarist was playing with a broken rib after falling off the stage cradling a p.a. speaker during the week!

Sounds great. I'm sure someone will want to take you up on this. I could be tempted if I were not enjoying my present mode of existence quite so much. Good luck.

It certainly presents a different background to the mythology from that shown in the Gotham television series. My DC Comics background is grounded in the 60s, so I never really saw The Joker as the impoverished, sleazy character explored in "Joker". Joaquin Phoenix is outstandingly creepy and original in the lead role. It was weird to see an arch-villain with no super-hero in sight. Although JP says the best scene was cut from the film I think a little more editing might have tightened the flow a little more, but sure, if you are into the DC world then give it a shot. I would be interested to know what you think. Maybe I should give it another look ... :shrug:

Thanks, oldkeith, for saving me the trouble, but none of those articles answered my question. There was no mention of anyone running a fleet of anything. The names mentioned appear to take scheduled flights, which is part of how the world works at the moment. Benedict Cumberbatch advertises cars. Is that the same as owning a fleet? The letter stated that the signatories admitted their hypocrisy while those interviewed seemed to be suggesting that they are using their influence to help bring attention to the situation i.e. that it is not just "crusties in hemp-smelling bivouacs" who are causing the disruption, but quite a lot of other concerned people from different parts of society. How helpful or misguided that kind of attention-bringing turns out to be will probably come under the remit of future historians, assuming there are any left when the time comes.

So without further evidence, I'm left pondering NRT's assertions that XR have failed to take their action to "harder targets". I'm not sure there is overwhelming evidence of that either. On the one hand the feeling of this forum appears to be that XR nvda has been counter-productive. At the same time we rail against those who have been brave enough to take a stand or that the actions have not targeted the right institutions or hit hard enough. I seem to remember that more aggressive tactics of other activists have also been frowned upon in past discussions on here. Greenpeace has been fielding brave activists for decades and still attract opprobrium if they get something slightly wrong. The rest of the time they are generally ignored and the fossil-fuel industry carries on with business as usual. Fuelled by the XR experience I am seeing more activists opposing damaging developments locally. In my area there are people getting involved with public transport campaigns, fighting new road schemes, taking action to thwart the loss of forestry commission land to a new quarrying project. The same core activists saw off American multi-national polluters, Cory Wheelabrator, a few years ago. Now, though, there is a whole new cohort of people who realise that they don't have to accept what some of these big operators want to impose. The industry in which I work is also challenging corporate sponsorship from the polluters, such as BP. That's a pretty big deal. As soon as city institutions were targeted in the recent action, the police stepped up their response and media attention was stifled. That was unlikely to be a coincidence.

XR is a new phenomenon. As a movement it seems to have caught the imagination of many people who might otherwise not engage in direct action. I agree it does have the appearance of a chaotic rabble (that appearance is fed by media outlets such as those referred to in oldkeith's message), but I personally struggled to deal with the formality of the group. It has its own language, its own very confusing structures and there definitely are rules. Waggling hands at meetings just looks silly to me at the moment and I have to work hard to repress the urge to giggle. I started to look at the required reading for those intending to take part in this recent "uprising" and gave up. I'm from the old-school turn-up-and-march style of action. However, while I have attended one or two actions locally, I decided not to go to London. My main reason was that I couldn't justify the travelling when I've no other reason to be there and there are still things that need to be done here. Even though a new phenomenon, I have seen evidence of changes in the way some things are being done. That shows the movement can learn from previous experience. Inevitably it will break into new factions. Some of these will bring XR into further disrepute while some others will be ignored. Everything will probably still be blamed on XR, because now it is has been named in a Section 14 notice.

In the UK, Extinction Rebellion has three main demands:

• The government must declare a climate "emergency"
    • The UK must legally commit to reducing carbon emissions to net zero by 2025
    • A citizens' assembly must be formed to "oversee the changes"

I have no idea whether or to what degree any of these are possible.

While I do agree with NRT that there is something suspicious about the whole thing, calling out the hypocrisy of better-known personalities who may appear to be jumping on a band-wagon is yet one more straw man argument. Those hundred or so people have already "owned" their hypocrisy. I struggle every day to own my own and lessen my own impact on my environment. I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle. I'm sitting in a shed next to my boat inhaling foul-smelling smoke from the neighbour who has set fire to a pile of horse bedding. "Whoopee, we're all gonna die."

... What other environmental protest group has celebs jetting in to take part in protests while theyre continuing with their own hyper consuming and running fleets of cars boats and helicopters or personal jets.....genuine question,im curious ...

Before I get round to addressing some of your more important points, would you mind naming some of these celebs who run fleets of cars, boats, helicopters or personal jets and who take part in the protests, please? Genuine question, I'm curious :whistle:

I know Sting has taken a lot of stick for this over the years. My personal opinion, fwiw, is that such criticism may be completely justified, but I've no idea who to believe any more.

Er ... this puts the above in a slightly different context:

... You dont need a label or belong to any club or adhere to any conventions.

Maybe not, but having a label marks a place where we could start to look for people we might find enriching. We have evolved to be social beings, even those of us who choose solitude for much of our time.

I've expressed my ambivalence about XR in earlier posts - not that my personal opinions mean anything or are of the slightest importance - but I'm always intrigued by the straw-man argument that points out the hypocrisy of the protestors. We are where we are. For each of us that probably means we are somewhere on a journey. The same seems to be the case for organisations, movements (including XR) or whole societies. Our lives in this particular time and place include aspiration, exploitation and the consumption oil-based products among its cultural norms.

Like most people I make changes to the way I live based on internalising new understandings. Like most people, I assume, a measure of personal integrity is important. Sometimes the changes I have made have taken decades to come about. I think it quite possible I shall pursue more changes as new ideas take shape and new methods come into my personal orbit. While I don't see myself as any kind of prophet or missionary, I believe one has some responsibility to share and discuss ideas. I don't want to live exclusively in a bubble of the like-minded. That bubble is simply where I go from time to time for respite, while I gather my thoughts.

To belittle someone or deny them the right to an opinion or to the ability to express that opinion based on the fact they wear a plastic kagoule or own a mobile phone belittles us. We may be on the same road, heading in the same destination, taking a different route, travelling in the opposite direction or ... (add your own metaphor), but simply be at a different stage in the journey. Only the individual can truly answer for themselves and there are undoubtedly times when hypocrisy needs to be called out, but glasshouses and stones, beams and motes come to mind.

I can make less of a case for inconveniencing those who have to work in order to live hand to mouth. Perhaps we are "all in this together", except for when it doesn't suit us? I could point out that a hand-to-mouth existence affects a large number of people and has been created by the same system that brought us to these perilous times and created the massively unfair and increasing gap between the rich and the poor. I could mention that riots in Liverpool or Bristol are often soon ignored (as are increasing numbers of apparently homeless people I talk to in every town I visit) outside those communities, but take the action to where decisions are made (and where the main-stream media live and choose to ignore the issues?) and people tend to take more notice for a little longer. I was campaigning, and standing, in elections for the Ecology/Green Party on similar issues (albeit less well-understood) more than thirty years ago and now we seem to be heading towards the same hell at an even faster rate.

There may be a more effective way of getting people on side, but those kinds of changes take a long time to bed in and, according to my very imperfect understanding of the science, time is not on our side. I have a lot of respect for those of my friends, including some who have given up their jobs altogether, to try and raise awareness through this current spate of campaigning. We would not be discussing this if these actions had not been taking place. I don't really know why I care or why I bother. I've mostly had a very good life and obviously one that has at times contributed to our present predicament. I probably don't have that much time left, but it hurts when I think that my grandchildren could have many years ahead (but may not if the most pessimistic forecasts kick in) and that, already, their future lives will look very different from the one I am experiencing.

I personally do feel that the XR people would be better employed directing their actions towards those big companies who are primarily responsible for global warming in one aspect or another, including manufacturing processes which lead to global warming, rather than inconveniencing the general public ...

Damn, I thought that's what I was doing the other fifty weeks of the year. So it IS the large-scale public stunts that make people sit up and take notice after all. :ptype:

Have you asked your doctor to get you a sleep study? Your exhaustion could be obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome. It is much more common than many people think and I suspect is seriously under-diagnosed. It is also dangerous - as in life-threatening - and treatable.