Poppy Appeal/Rememberance

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• i'll be keeping the silence...it means a lot to the old guys in my town to see folks like myself and my youngest standing alongside them.. folks have come up and hugged me and said Thank You..it is very humbling:o ..AND I DO IT FOR THEM..to show respect...

ignore the waitrose hippy Mr. AHC...he has some odd views..like not voting:harhar: i'll kick his ass for you next time he's here;)

• Quote from MrAHC

Whos talking drivel wee man!

Well when I'm remembering the fallen of Britains wars and me uncle who fell on Mnt Tumbledown in the Falklands. When my wee corp parade with the vetrans in my wee town I'll know what you think there aload of drivel.

God bless ya...

Some days it like discussing stuff with babies :rolleyes:

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• Quote from sensamelia

does any one know....can you only buy the white poppies online
    i love the idea of a white poppy

They sometimes sell them at Quaker Meeting houses - I expect there's one near you (lots of Quakers in Lancashire), but it might not be open now until next sunday.

I ordered mine on line yesterday and the website said they'd be sent in 2 working days, so you'll probably just be in time if you do it a.s.a.p.

Last year i got into an argument with some stupid squaddie, bout wearing/not wearing a poppy...he told me i was sick and twisted, i told him he was an uneducated twat and a war machine...

Still a white poppy means the same thing.

Ex, I'm not sure what you mean by "....means the same thing" - Are you saying that by wearing a white poppy a person is 'an uneducated twat and a war machine', the same as that squaddie? or that in some respects a white poppy means the same as a red one as it is worn as a mark of repect?

Personaly, I take the second view, but I was just curious to know what you were saying here.

• Quote from AnnieAnne

Ex, I'm not sure what you mean by "....means the same thing" - Are you saying that by wearing a white poppy a person is 'an uneducated twat and a war machine', the same as that squaddie? or that in some respects a white poppy means the same as a red one as it is worn as a mark of repect?

Personaly, I take the second view, but I was just curious to know what you were saying here.

Sorry, it means the second..it means that by wearing a white poppy...you are still remembering the dead, but also striving for peace.

• Quote from scarlettdee

i'll be keeping the silence...it means a lot to the old guys in my town to see folks like myself and my youngest standing alongside them.. folks have come up and hugged me and said Thank You..it is very humbling:o ..AND I DO IT FOR THEM..to show respect...

ignore the waitrose hippy Mr. AHC...he has some odd views..like not voting:harhar: i'll kick his ass for you next time he's here;)

I'd be more than happy to do that for you!

• I shall keep the silence, i had relatives die in the wars.. i have someone dear to me fighting in Iraq right now (not that i agree with the Iraq war - i don't)

• I know, I think its just that because hes out there - i support him and i support our troops in general.. but i cant believe in why theyre there...

i have copped abuse for this before...

• Dont let anyone make you feel bad, our boys are doing a dificult job that they dont want to do and the thought that someone at home is thinking of them makes it that little less dificult.
    I tryed to join up as a bandsman last year because I was bored. Thank god they said I was to old or I'd be in Afgaistan now with a gun not a flute. Silly idea realy but thats how bored I've been as late, now I've just decided to go back on the road.

• ouch, thats bored to the inf* degree.. the guy i know is out there as its his job, and he signed on the dotted line to defend this country.. but not to invade at will

hence - thats one soldier who is at war with his own conscience.. hes doing his job but disagreeing with the 'why', on those grounds he needs people to at least support his actions - if not to support the war itself.

hope you enjoy it on the road.. if you get to the arse end of cornwall ill make you a cup of tea.. hell - i may even throw in biscuits :D

• I wear a poppy and keep the 2 mins silence. Tis the least my crap generatoin can do to show (albeit a miniscule) amount of respect and thanks for the freedom we take for granted. As for white poppies, i wouldnt mind that as well as but not instead of. I dare say that the poppy tradition will eventually die out but for fucks sake lets wait till the generations immediatly affected do so first. My dad lost his dad when he was a 7 year old nipper and talk of no poppies etc breaks his heart.

• I always wear the poppy that belonged to my Grandad it's made of silk and bakerlite and must be 50 or 60 years old. When he was alive I would always go with him to the war memorial on rememberance sunday, he was usually the life and soul but for this day in the year when he would become very introverted and solemn. Like many of his generation he never spoke about what he had experienced, he was a desert rat, during ww2. I will be there this year as in the past paying my respect to the men and women who gave their lives in the belief that their sacrifice would ensure a better world. Let them never be forgotten...

To be is to do......Socrates To do is to be.....Sartre Do be do be do........Sinatra

• i've 'adopted' 2 pagans in the military...poor buggers surrounded by christian and islamic fundamentalism...so i send 'em both pagan news and books...feels a bit odd sending books on Enochian and copies of pagan dawn to the US and UK military:o

but if it helps....

• ok im going to be hated but i need to give my opinion

Yeah I agree that it shouldn’t be forgotten but what’s the point of only remembering once a year?! When you turn over to the news and hear all these mothers of young American soldiers talking about how they have died at 22, it’s a total hypocrisy. Yeah I have family members who fought in the wars and yes it was really nasty, but it’s no different to getting your head blown off in 1942 than it is then getting your head blown off in 2006. It’s just the same as old fashioned war propaganda glorifying the whole "go to war and become a hero". These men signed up because if they didn’t they would be labelled a coward and if you read any war poetry I think you would find out that the last things these men would want to be known as was a hero either. The point of wearing poppies if to not forget, when to me it seems we have already forgotten year after year after year.

• Quote from pretty polly

ok im going to be hated but i need to give my opinion

Yeah I agree that it shouldn’t be forgotten but what’s the point of only remembering once a year?!

You don't have too.. you can remember every day or not at all. i think 'poppy day' is to fund activities all year.. with a annual act of national rememberance. i don't think they stop remembering the other 364 days of the year... jus the majority of us do.

When you turn over to the news and hear all these mothers of young American soldiers talking about how they have died at 22, it’s a total hypocrisy.

In what way ?.

Yeah I have family members who fought in the wars and yes it was really nasty, but it’s no different to getting your head blown off in 1942 than it is then getting your head blown off in 2006. It’s just the same as old fashioned war propaganda glorifying the whole "go to war and become a hero".

These men signed up because if they didn’t they would be labelled a coward and if you read any war poetry I think you would find out that the last things these men would want to be known as was a hero either.

I have respect for them.. i alsot think they are heroes.. even if they don't wish to be labeled that way.

The point of wearing poppies if to not forget, when to me it seems we have already forgotten year after year after year.

I agree that people forget.. but not entirely.

• Quote from matthew

You don't have too.. you can remember every day or not at all. i think 'poppy day' is to fund activities all year.. with a annual act of national rememberance. i don't think they stop remembering the other 364 days of the year... jus the majority of us do.

Remembering and donating are two different things. I'll give 'em money, but I won't wear a poppy.

• Quote from Atomik

Remembering and donating are two different things. I'll give 'em money, but I won't wear a poppy.

I don't wear a poppy. I donate.

• Quote from Atomik

What?

Open link, read:

I don't wear a poppy.. I put a few quid in the tin. I show respect for a few minutes. It is all about rememberance.. not making cheap shots at political leaders...

add

''i should add it is more than a few minutes.. bad choice of words... *cough*''

• I wonder what it is we are supposed to remember.....

That they died? That they died fighting authoritarianism? That they died fighting for a side that saw them as canon fodder in war and resources to be harnessed out of it - so little better than hitler anyway? That they were threatened with prison and hatred if they said "no" before going....or shot if they said "no" after doing so?

I wonder what would happen if folks remembered all of that for more than 2 minutes a year.....?

So much that COULD be remembered, so little that actually is.

Instead we have halfwits who insist we stand still and quiet for two minutes and remember them...then for the rest of the year stand still and quiet whilst the best of what they fought for is slowly taken away. :rolleyes:

It doesnt matter if marching authoritarianism is through conspiracy or cockup..... its still the same result.

A little quote to remember perhaps on remeberance day: "Democracy is the only system of govt worth a damn cos its the only one that gives the majority what they fucking well deserve". Dont recall who said it but it has a grain of truth about it lol.

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• Quote from Coyote

I wonder what it is we are supposed to remember.....

That they died?

Yes.. for us. Willing or unwillingly. Unwillingly being the more poignant reason that i persoanly remember those poor blighters.