Poppy Appeal/Rememberance

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• well i have just got my white poppy and me and my youngest are wearing them with pride
    my son hes 13 and his friends have been making anti war plaques to carry in the march with the british legion
    i looked after a guy called jack he lived near me he was 75 and an active member in the legion
    he became poorly and having no family i took on the role of carer
    we had many chats about the war and the fact that we were both anti war
    but in his youth he had no choice but to sign up and did so with pride
    he died three years ago aged 84 and my son is doing this march as a mark of respect to jack
    fully backed by the other oap members of the legion who will be carrying thier flags

• Quote from Coyote

I wonder what it is we are supposed to remember.....

That they died? That they died fighting authoritarianism? That they died fighting for a side that saw them as canon fodder in war and resources to be harnessed out of it - so little better than hitler anyway? That they were threatened with prison and hatred if they said "no" before going....or shot if they said "no" after doing so?

I wonder what would happen if folks remembered all of that for more than 2 minutes a year

:thumbup: what i personally think should be remembered is that we dont let this happen again and both wars should be a reminder of how not to repeat history. but like i said no one bloody does because humans are born greedy and will always want more, and if that means more war, then so be it. people in high power simply dont care.
    i love the quote-:
    "those who do not remember the past are condemed to re-live it"
    so true

• Quote from Atomik

I don't see the need to wear symbols to express my beliefs. I don't think it achieves anything.

I think what it does acheive is that it sometimes sparks debate. I have found, when I have worn a white poppy in the past, people have asked me why my poppy is white. This often leads to a wider discussion about pacifism, something which many people, in my experienced had not thought about previously. Sometimes the people I discussed it with may not have agreed with me, but I hope it made them think a bit more about why they held the views they held.

• Quote from AnnieAnne

I think what it does acheive is that it sometimes sparks debate. I have found, when I have worn a white poppy in the past, people have asked me why my poppy is white. This often leads to a wider discussion about pacifism, something which many people, in my experienced had not thought about previously. Sometimes the people I discussed it with may not have agreed with me, but I hope it made them think a bit more about why they held the views they held.

I agree with a lot of the 'symbols' i just think the poppy one has been devalued.. it seems it is MUST rather than a choice. I've CHOSEN not to wear one.

When did you first start wearing one and why ?.

• Quote from matthew

I agree with a lot of the 'symbols' i just think the poppy one has been devalued.. it seems it is MUST rather than a choice. I've CHOSEN not to wear one.

Of course, it's your choice.

When did you first start wearing one and why ?.

People sold red poppies at my primary school, so the first time I wore a red one would probably have been when I was about 4 or 5. At that stage, I would have just worn it because it's what everyone did. I think I was about 11 when I came across someone selling white poppies (it was at a Quaker Meetinghouse - my family are Quakers). I was already opposed to violence at that stage, although I couldn't express it very well. I remember having a long conversation with the woman selling them and deciding that I preferred to wear a white poppy to show my opposition to violence.

• cant remember just always have, I'm from a military family theres always been a member of my family in the forses. Even when living on site I've worn a poppy and on ocasions had a Union Flag flying from my rig somtines at raves theres been a union flag draped over the pa system.
    Only once have I ever had anyon comment on this and that was on a site in Brighton when Diana died I had a union jack flown at half mast and there was abit of an altication with a punk who didnt even live on site.
    I'm not a pasafist and if the UK was under real danger and our fredom was thretend i'd fight in HRH forces but the UK aint gone to war for freedom since the Falklands and that war was dubious.

• Quote from Atomik

No shit. It was about oil. The Falklands project British territory into Antarctica, as you can see from this map:

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps…arctic_ref802648_1999.jpg

And I'm sure it's just a coincidence that Antarctica is believed to be a prime area for oil exploration. :whistle:

Yea thats one of the points amongst Mrs Ts re election. BUT there were/are Brits living on the Island and I wouldnt want 1000 young men suddenly turning up in my wee village uninvited with a hell of alot of millitary gear and taking over without my consent.
    Well that sound like an avrage weekend for me when I was on the road :D

• Quote from AnnieAnne

People sold red poppies at my primary school, so the first time I wore a red one would probably have been when I was about 4 or 5. At that stage, I would have just worn it because it's what everyone did. I think I was about 11 when I came across someone selling white poppies (it was at a Quaker Meetinghouse - my family are Quakers). I was already opposed to violence at that stage, although I couldn't express it very well. I remember having a long conversation with the woman selling them and deciding that I preferred to wear a white poppy to show my opposition to violence.

Thank you for the explanation... i don't think my logic stretches that far back.

• My great grandfather (on my nan's side) was one killed in France on Armistice day, one of the last men to get killed in WW1.

I always donate to the British Legion. Normally if I give to a charity I tell them to keep the sticker in order to save them costs, I don't need to prove that I've given. However, I wear a poppy so that old folks will see it and know that we haven't forgotten them, a small statement, but one that does get appreciated.

I think it's a shame that it has become such a political symbol when it was originally representative of the bloodshed in the battlefields of France and nothing to do with patriotism or allegiance to the crown. Actually in many ways it's a reminder of how the state failed to recognise the efforts of those conscripts from the great war to the point when they had to form a charity.

Because of conscription I also tend to differentiate between the sevicemen of the 2 world wars and other conflicts. Millions of ordinary people forced into fighting (and dying) in the 2 biggest conflicts ever cannot reasonably be compared with the comparitively handful of volunteers who have died since.

• I understand we buy a b poppy to remeber people but also feel I am advocating that war is ok so always have a problem with it

• I have no problem remembering the many millions who died in the First world war,in fact they deserve to be commemorated without a doubt.
    I wouldnt wear a poppy because here in the North of Ireland that symbol is associated with one side of the divide here and unfortunatley is as much a mark of political allegiance as anything else.
    Remember them of course,very soon the First World War will have no living combatants left.

• if you dont want to wear poppies..just give the cash..the money from the poppy appeal goes to help the disabled soldiers,the families,the widows..those our charming govt. forgets about when they've used their loved ones as cannon fodder...yeah i know they sign up for the job..but still...

i'm not a fan of organised religion...but i still donate to the salvation army..though did have a slight tussle with the guy on friday...as he just didn't understand why i didn't want a copy of WAR CRY even though i'd put money in the box..bless him;)

• ... and now it's all over for another year!

I was actually asleep for the two minutes silence :rolleyes: so I had my own personal one XD hehe.
    My parents tried to drag me to church for remembrance service but I was asleep for that too! Whoops...

But still, as long as we don't forget them now until next year.. :wiggle:

we reenact Noah's ancient drama, but in reverse, like a film running backwards, the animals exiting