Scrimping?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Not a word I hear very often, but I like the word and in some instances I like doing it too. Here's an example I picked up from my mum (who was brought up during WWII as one of six children in a hard-up East End family):

Opening a tin of soup, (etc.), (if opening a tin is not in itself is not too profligate), I always run some water (not very much) into the tin and swill it about to get out all the remaining soup, then add the result to the rest of the soup. The process provides more soup!

I'd suggest that there's an element of green-ness about scrimping in that not scrimping is quite possibly wasteful and un-green.

Do you have any favourite scrimps?

• Its great having all downstairs, tiled and laminate so i can sweep rather than hoover.

i'm scrimping alot these days, it sucks.

my brother just phoned to say he's overdrawn (because the cheque for the rent bounced) n wants money asap , trouble is i dont have any money , i'm living on the emergancy electric money on the metre. the cupboards are almost litterally bare.

so scrimping suggestions would be great right now.

its harder not easier since my sisters moved in with me , she showers for about an hour a day (its an electric shower and i'm on a water metre too )

shes leaves lights on, tv's on , computer on all the time. yet she likes to think shes all organised and that going to the market to sell stuff was her idea, she also thinks shes superwoman cos she has 3 bar jobs atm , (3 bar jobs that equivilant to about 4 shifts a week). so shes thinking shes in charge at the moment.

grr sorry about the rant.

• Hehe, I love scrimping :D

We do that swirly thing with the can.
    Eat the bread crusts rather than chuck 'em.
    Eat all the food on your plate, even if it is horrendously burnt. :vomit:
    Scrape every last drop of marg/butter from the packet (same applies to jams/sauces).
    Leave the ketchup bottle upside down until the sides look clean.
    Food is never mouldy if you cut the bad bits off. :D

Mmm, thats all I can think of at the moment ... But i'm sure theres more.

• Eat the bread crusts rather than chuck 'em.

Yeah, how can people do that!!?

And dilute the last of the stubborn stuff with a splash or two of vinegar?

Food is never mouldy if you cut the bad bits off. :D

True enough especially for non-animal products.

• Quote from Milo

Eat the bread crusts rather than chuck 'em.

Yeah, how can people do that!!?

Dunno, I love the crusts personally, chucking thems a bit like sacriledge :eek:

And dilute the last of the stubborn stuff with a splash or two of vinegar?

Never tried that one, makes me wish I still used ketchup so I could :D

• My favourite scrimp isn't a vegetarian friendly one sadly...

I like to boil down the bones and bits left over from my sunday roast along with the carrot and parsnip and whatever other pealings and tops and tails to make stock rather than using stock cubes.

I also compost everything I can to then grow vegetables and herbs in again, getting the most out of what I consume.

When I'm on my death bed am I really going to wish I spent more time in the office?

• Nanny cogleys WELSH RAREBIT...
    this was a recipe passed down thru the generations...we all love it..though i presume it was originally made with leftover bacon and mash....
    heres my version;)

heat oven to 180C (gas 4)

boil and mash a decent amount of spuds

Dice 1 large onion and i pkt of unsmoked streaky bacon (six slices are enough)
    put in a pie dish and grill till bacon cooked through
    add pepper or a dash of lea and perrins
    on top of onion and bacon add 1 tin of chopped tinned toms
    then 1 layer of grated cheese
    then a layer of mashed pots..smooth down with a fork
    pour over 1 beaten egg

put in the oven for 20 mins or until golden brown

serve with crusty bread and salad

it is delicious:wiggle:

stale bread uses..(not mouldy )

BREAD PUDDING

Ingredients
    8oz bread, preferably stale, crusts removed
    ½ pint milk
    6oz mixed dried fruit
    2oz mixed peel, chopped
    2oz soft brown sugar
    2 tsp mixed spice
    1 large egg, beaten

1. Break bread into small pieces and place in a mixing bowl.
    2. Pour over the milk and leave to soak for 30 minutes, then beat out the lumps with a fork to form a smooth mixture.
    3. Add the fruit, mixed peel, sugar,mixed spice and egg and mix well.
    4. Pour the mixture into a greased 7in square tin, smooth the top and sprinkle with nutmeg if liked.
    5. Bake at 180C for about 1-1½ hours until browned. Cool in the tin.
    6. Cut the pudding into squares and sprinkle with sugar serve hot with custard or cream.

• Here are my scrimps -

* Keep the water from boiling up potatoes/ carrots/ swedes/ sweet potatoes/ other veg and use as your stock to make soup (freeze if not making soup the next day).

* When you are down to the last scrapings of yeast extract/ Marmite/ Vegemite, fill the jar with boiled hot water and leave for a wee while. Add this liquid to stews, mince, etc for extra flavour.

* Put bread doorsteps/ outsiders/ ends in the blender or grinder (I use the coffee grinder:o) then freeze the breadcrumbs. Use in nuts roasts etc.

* Make up a big pot of mince - veggie or meat depending on your preference. Add carrots, peas, etc for extra bulk. Leftovers can be frozen then made into lasagne/ spaghetti bolognese (add some tomato puree/ passata/ tomato sauce)/ cannelloni. Add a tin of beans to mince for a quick winter warmer. Nothing beats a "piece on mince (mince sandwich)" - butter/ marg some bread and pour mince over - eat with a knife and fork.

"The lovely thing about being 40 is that you can appreciate 25 year old men more" - Colleen McCullough I'm not 40 - I'm 18 with 22 years' experience!

• Here (from my Tibet pages) is my favourite example:

My parents invited the group (of Tibetans) to our house for Christmas Day and my memory of the visit is of their happiness and uncomplicatedness. Balloons were excitedly and quite firmly patted around the sitting room. Some of them burst. With unreasonable poignancy, I recall our visitors showed resourcefulness way beyond our western squanderings and seized the balloons' blasted remnants and sucked, blew and twisted them into new mini-balloons with which to continue their celebration of our culture's big holiday.

• Quote from Jule9

Here are my scrimps -

* Keep the water from boiling up potatoes/ carrots/ swedes/ sweet potatoes/ other veg and use as your stock to make soup (freeze if not making soup the next day).

thats great , i'm gonna dso that, it always kills me to drain the veg sown the sink. I usually just save enough to make gravy.

• Quote from Milo

Whenever possible (I suggest, always), avoid ironing. :D

Last time I saw an iron was when my Mum made me do some for chores :eek: I like my clothes all rumpled :D

• I always stick the last bit of the old bar of soap onto the next one so that none gets wasted. Also, I turn the shampoo bottle upside down when it gets to the end, that always gets 1 more wash out, then I take the lid off, put a little bit of water in, swill it round and use the resulting mixture for 1 more wash.

• Quote from stuoolong

Irons are the devil's work.

:clap:

although, getting wax of the carpet with some brown paper would be nye-on impossible without one
    that's my one and only use for my friends iron. :D

• The balancing sauce bottles upside down reminded me how Heinz and Hellmans have started making sauce bottles that stand with the nozzle on the bottom. It's taken 'em long enough!

Save teabags. I'm sure somewhere it says that one teabag is supposed to be enough to make two cups of tea, but people still seem to use too many. I occasionally go on a saving spree that ends in me having about five teabags in one tea mug :happydanc

• Buy a tiered steamer pan, this allows you to only have one burner on yet cook lots of different things on it all at once, thus saving gas/electricity.

Don't have your heating system running on a timer. This means that you have to get up and put the heating on when you need it. I've found that doing this has saved me a huge amount of gas/money.

Invest in hot water bottles and use them as personal central heating systems rather than heating up a whole house/boat. What's the point in heating rooms no one is in?

Always keep your feezer as full as you can. A Which survey (years ago) showed that a full freezer takes less energy to run.

Have a list on the outside of the fridge and freezer door of whats inside. That way you don't have to open the door to look for things that aren't there. Keeping fridge and freezer doors shut keeps in the cold thus the appliance uses less electricity.

If you get mail that has paid return envelopes in them but you don't need to return anything, don't throw the envelope away. Put a sticker over the address and use it to post something else.

I'm with most of you on the ironing topic. I think the only good use an iron can be put to is heating up bed sheets on a very cold night, just before you get in.

Scrimping is not only a good way to save money, it's a way of being more enviromentally friendly.

• Quote from scarlettdee

nooooooooo...i hate rumpled clothing...had to wrestle clothes off coyote to iron 'em:o

I didnt put up much of a fight :D but ironing, pah, what a waste of time!

:D

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• Quote from Milo

Opening a tin of soup, (etc.), (if opening a tin is not in itself is not too profligate), I always run some water (not very much) into the tin and swill it about to get out all the remaining soup, then add the result to the rest of the soup. The process provides more soup!

We always do that, but we use milk instead of water. :)

• My lecky kettle uses lots more energy than my coffee maker.
    It takes my coffee maker less energy to make one batch of 4 mugs of coffee than to make 4 lots of one mug.
    Also I can use less coffee if I do a big batch.
    So I make a batch of 4 and stick it in a thermos flask on my desk so even hours later I still have piping hot coffee and don't even have to get up to get it! This idea of course came about through laziness rather than anything else. :rolleyes:
    All shampoo, etc bottles live upside down.
    I don't eat a whole tin of anything so 3 tins go in a pan and re-heated as necessary. I get about 2 days of food out of that, though with Milo's idea it may well go even further! :D
    When I buy tuna, etc I buy it in oil, so I can use the oil to cook.
    That's all I can think of for now.

• Where possible buy fresh and in bulk (so long as you have the means to store).

So huge bags of basmarti or pasta, buy whole chickens and joint them yourself (and "do the hugh" by making soup out of the remains - truly yummy!!!), grow herbs in window boxes, use candles for light and heat, thick curtains keep the warmth in in winter (or throws can add to the thickness), buy some things from the budget ranges as you are only paying for pretty packaging most of the time, make use of BOGOF offers :) get veg from the farmers/farmers markets/markets and keep them in paperbags in a dark cool place..... :)

Cook in bulk too (so two days meals in one - leftovers can be yum; espec if stew, chilli, bubble-n-squeak etc) :)

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• Quote from scarlettdee

wouldn't everything smell of fish?

I still have other oil, this way just takes longer to get through it. I use the fishy oil for fish-related or strong tasting things. :)