Mooncup/ re-useable Sanitary stuff

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Quote from Lol Drake

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Pixie. :-) That is, assuming I'm not being vain by thinking you meant my post.
    xx

Haha, i enjoyed that too :clap: :clap:

• I've been a mooncup user for about 2 years now, never really had a problem until about 3 months ago or so. I leaked badly one period and then during my last period, I leaked again. I don't know why, I suspect its because the tiny holes are getting clogged up. The mooncup is never full and inserting isn't a problem.

It got so bad last period that even ended up going back to a tampon, not a nice experience.

• Quote from astrila

I've been a mooncup user for about 2 years now, never really had a problem until about 3 months ago or so. I leaked badly one period and then during my last period, I leaked again. I don't know why, I suspect its because the tiny holes are getting clogged up. The mooncup is never full and inserting isn't a problem.

It got so bad last period that even ended up going back to a tampon, not a nice experience.

This happens to me sometimes, when this happens i need to empty the cup more often and when i rinse it out sometimes i have to pick out blood from the little holes becuase they are blocked...

that seems to help stop the leaking :)

• I think the mooncup website recommends using a pin to clear the holes if they get blocked.

• hiya, ive been using a mooncup fpr bout a year. THere's two sizes i wish i got the bigger one cos I leak the first few days. dont let this put u off though as several friends have started using and there absolutley fine. i am heavy. feels strange at first but u get the hang of it K*:hippy: give it a go

• I've been using washable towels now for over two years and I've got to say I'll never ever ever use anything else!

I would definitely recommend Wemoon ones to any woman, as they're the most comfortable brand I've found (I have the blue ones with the stars :D) and they're really well made.

In a strange way I kinda like the process of washing them, hanging them on the line to dry and pouring my bowl full of bloody water onto the garden! :D :insane:

• Quote from Ms. Vee

In a strange way I kinda like the process of washing them, hanging them on the line to dry and pouring my bowl full of bloody water onto the garden! :D :insane:

That's not weird - I feel like that when I rinse my sea pearls out.

A note: having been forced to use sanitary towels (which I despise) for the past couple of weeks I appreciate my lovely washable tampons all the more... I really can't wait 'til I can go back to using them.

• Yes, you will get used to it.

If it's not comfortable when it's inside, either you haven't got it in quite right (that will come with practice), or you need to trim the stalk. Most people seem to need to cut almost all of the stalk off, but I would recommend cutting a little bit off at a time, trying it out, as you can always make it shorter if necessary but you can't make it longer if you cut too much off!

• Quote from princesstigermouse

That's not weird - I feel like that when I rinse my sea pearls out.

A note: having been forced to use sanitary towels (which I despise) for the past couple of weeks I appreciate my lovely washable tampons all the more... I really can't wait 'til I can go back to using them.

I'm thinking of trying the sea sponges myself, since I can't use a Mooncup anymore :( - I take it you would recommend them then? How long do you find they last?

• Quote from justme

I'm thinking of trying the sea sponges myself, since I can't use a Mooncup anymore :( - I take it you would recommend them then? How long do you find they last?

I buy new ones about every five months usually because that's roughly when I remember! They don't go all horrible or stop working properly or anything, so I just buy more when I think of it. I honestly find them really, really comfy and can't imagine choosing to use anything else.

• Quote from justme

Cool, they sound good :) I think I probably will get some. Are there 2 in a pack? (I'm not sure from the website.)

Yup, you get two per pack and a lickle bag to keep 'em in :) you can sometimes get 'em in health food shops, but our lovely health food shop in Winch has now gone, so I will be buying online from now on.

• Quote from wiggy

PTM I have a question about the sea pearls - if you were to squeeze your muscles together would they leak?
    Just a random question i thought of!

It would if it was really full, but not otherwise. I have tested this :angel:

Cos when you put it in, it's moist but empty, and after about four or five hours (normal flow) will be getting full.

I forgot to mention my favourite thing about them! You can keep them in while having sex, and to your partner it feels just like your vaginal wall, so they won't notice. Which is great for people like me who are super-horny during their period. Spontaneity need not be dead! Hurrah!

• all this sound facinating....only skimmed through the thread so far cos im so tired but im interested..

its not something id really thought about before but something i will look into...

i just found some women on the internet who crochet their own tampons!

• Quote from Pumpkin

have you noticed that you dont get any of that old brown blood towards the end? its like it can all flow out whilst it's still fresh...thats a good thought :)

really?

i hate all the migin brown 'leftovers' at the end of my period!

• Quote from Pumpkin

dont worry! we all have periods and will have had as many wibbles, leaks, fanny farts and tampon problems as each other - i went for my smear yesterday and the nurse made me laugh and i pushed the speculum out!

pmsl...when i went for my smear, i was so nervous, that everytime the (male) doctor touched me, i kicked him in the chest! the nurse was pissing herself!

• I have had a mooncup for the past 6 months. I feel so much more at peace knowing that I'm not contributing to the pollution of the earth with my wasteful sanitary products.
    Also, how cool and euphoric is it to know that I don't have an artificially bleached thing shoved up into my insides leaking gawd knows what toxin into my system.
    I know and I know that they say it doesn't, but who's to know?
    I have used washable pads for years and I soak them in a basin and then pour the watery blood onto my plants. Giving back to Mother Nature what I have been blessed with.
    The mooncup is 100% rubber, so it is a natural product. :hippylove

• thanku this thread has been really useful to me i hate normal sanitry towels i just cant get comfy in them and i did wonder about an enviromental friendly version........ now i know i will just have to get some......... not keen on the moon cups or sea pearls tho but still thankyou

it is impossible to be unhappy whilst wearing my baby in a tattoo style mei tai!!!

• I think I'm going to order both mooncup and re usable towels, I find towels comfier but being least hygienic and bad for the environment I want to try something new. Cheers for the links and all of the info and feedback everybody.

• I have used washable pads for years and I soak them in a basin and then pour the watery blood onto my plants. Giving back to Mother Nature what I have been blessed with.

Hey

I bought a moon cup about 2 years ago, and used it once. (Then I got pregnant and at 8 months old I still haven't had a period).

When I do eventually get to use it, do you know how much blood you can put on your plants? Or how much you need to water it down? Is there anything you shouldn't put it on - ie. is it okay for edible plants too?

• I'm a mooncup convert :thumbup: 4 months use now, loving it. I was using Always towels but they made me too hot and after 24/7 wear they give me a rash :puppydog:
    Mooncup all the way! :clap: The best part was sleeping naked during a period, confused the OH :cool:

• i got me a mooncup last year,and first few times i used it were awkward as hell..but now i wouldnt use anything else! i love how im not contributing to scatty landfill and stuff, and i feel so much cleaner..:)

• just ordered a mooncup online... i have a discount code for £3 off for three friends if anyone else wants one..
    MOON1694629884-60

you just type the code into the box on the order page, and get money off..

thought I'd share the joy!!
    xx x

• hurrah! i shall need a new one after baby - i forgot about my old one when i was boiling it and its a bit scorched :o