Winter Food??

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Whats your favourite winter fayre?? For me, its lots of soups and stews, dumplings and lots of root veg.

Im looking through my recpie books for good wholesome recpie's, foods that will stick to the insides, and keep me healthy??

Sooo, any ideas, whats your favourite??

• Leek and potato soup goes down very well :) lots of heavy lentil-based food :) squash based stuff is good too. Carrots and parnsips are good :) I like to make a sosmix casserole type thing too - I guess that wouldn't appeal so much to you though.

• Quote from Darkflame

Leek and potato soup goes down very well :) lots of heavy lentil-based food :) squash based stuff is good too. Carrots and parnsips are good :) I like to make a sosmix casserole type thing too - I guess that wouldn't appeal so much to you though.

Dont know WHAT you mean...:harhar:

Na, i still like sosmix, and ye heavy lentil foods are excellent, to keep you warm.

• ooh spicy lentil soup... I'm hungry too now... I can practically smell it...

• Real thick homemade soups, potato & leek as mentioned already is great. Some homemade bread aswell is great, epecially when still hot!! *drools*
    I also love a good dal with lots of lentils & chickpeas and some chapatis and veggie momos also. This thread is making me hungry.

• A good old winter veg soup- parsnips, carrots, turnips throw them in a pot with some vegan stock and water and voila-yummy yummy winter food:D

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]May all beings have happiness and create the causes of happiness.
    May they all be free from suffering and from creating the causes of suffering.
    [/FONT]

• Venison Stew, with homemade rye bread followed by wholemeal parsnip cake.
    Or thick vegetable soup with british winter veg and the stock left over from the most recent roast dinner :)

Big heavy breads are the best thing about winter though.

Yum!

When I'm on my death bed am I really going to wish I spent more time in the office?

• Mmmm winter food :)

Chickpea and lentil stew
    Game pie
    Tagine of lamb or chicken
    Toad in the hole
    Parsnip and peanut butter soup
    Steak in ale pie
    Chicken soup (mmmmmmm)
    Pork pie and toast (thats a tea rather than a dinner but mmmm nontheless)
    Spicey nut and vegetable curry (droooool :) )

mmmmmmm

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• Quote from Darkflame

Got a recipe for that parsnip and peanut butter soup?

EITHER: Steam about half a dozen parsnips (peel and chunk them first! :) ) for about 30 minutes or untill soft enough to mash but not sloppy!
    OR: Roast them instead for extra flavour

THEN

Put them through a blender
    Add a 3 tablespoons of peanut butter (smooth blends better but I'm a nut for crunchy :D )
    Add either milk or water (up to 1/2 of a pint of whichever you prefer)
    Heat in a pan adding salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with crusty bread and a piece of mature cheddar mmmmm

Very very simple :) but heat it slow for about 15 minutes to make sure its cooked through

Serves 3-5 :)

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• Quote from Darkflame

Sounds excellent :) I'll have to try that :D

It is yum :) HIGHLY recommended :)

• Quote from velvetcollie

vegetable stew with veggie suet crust pastry ( like dumplimgs but all over the top of the stew) delicious!.

Oh GODS that sounds good!!!! :long:

• Quote from Coyote

Oh GODS that sounds good!!!! :long:

i made enough last night to feed me again tonight. yum yum.
    willl post the recipie if you'd like to have a go. tis easy, nutritious and cheap!

• Quote from velvetcollie

i made enough last night to feed me again tonight. yum yum.
    willl post the recipie if you'd like to have a go. tis easy, nutritious and cheap!

oh yeah! :D

• Quote from Coyote

oh yeah! :D

ok. this is how i make it....

you will need....
    a pyrex dish (about 8 inches) or similar to bake it in
    1 onion
    1 turnip
    2 carrots
    4 or 5 medium spuds
    a few cloves of garlic
    2 stock cubes
    some gravy granules or thickener
    seasoning if required

for the suet -
    4 oz self raising flour
    2 oz veggie suet
    pinch of salt
    mixed herbs can be added
    cold water

1 - brown off the chopped onions and garlic in a saucepan
    2 - make up the stock and add that
    3 - chop the veg, not too small, and add that, plus any seasoning
    4 - make sure the veg are covered by about an inch or two of stock -
    just add more water if needed
    5 - cover and cook until the veg are about 1/2 cooked
    6 - add some gravy granules or thickener so the stock is more like a gravy
    7 - put it all in the pyrex dish, leaving the veg just covered by the stock
    8 - mix all the suet ingredients together, adding cold water to it til it's a
    bit sloppy, like cake mix
    9 - spoon it over the stew as evenly as possible
    10 - bake it in a preheated (about 190) oven for about 35-40 mins, or until
    the top of the suet is a bit crispy

is a meal in its self and is also nice with fresh steamed greens
    scrummy..
    :happydanc

• Stews, thick soups, lentils galore, roasts, anything hearty :)

Darkflame, that sosmix casserole sounds interesting. Never used sosmix outside of burgers/sausages & nut roast. What do you do with it in a casserole, is it in replacement of dumplings?

• Generally I have a layer of sosmix on the bottom then a layer of veg - generally carrots, onions and potatoes. Then I grate cheese on top. It just sits in the oven for a few hours on slow cook and - yummy :)

• I don't always include the cheese - its a kind of optional extra :) You could try a mashed potato topping... that always browns very well :)

• Quote from Exedous

Whats your favourite winter fayre?? For me, its lots of soups and stews, dumplings and lots of root veg.

Im looking through my recpie books for good wholesome recpie's, foods that will stick to the insides, and keep me healthy??

Sooo, any ideas, whats your favourite??

Well I can't argue with that.

• Quote from Mav

Venison Stew, with homemade rye bread!

Take 2lb of Rowan Berries, and a 1lb of sugar, plus two apples, chuck it all in a boiling/jam making pot, and boil slowly for bout an hour. You're making a jelly, rather than a jam.

You can also use the juice of 1 lemon, to every 2lb of fruit.(Food For Free)

The fruit does no need any care, part from de'stalking and a good was in COLD water,

{preferably a fast runnin burn/brook}(Food For Free)

Once done, strain through a jeely bag, or muslin. This jelly goes very well with Vension and other Game. It has a tart flavour, and is best served as an acopanayment, rather than a preserve. Mix with cream of creme fraice, in the same pan as you cook the Game. Enjoy..

Rowan Berries------>>>

• My faves are....

parsnip and apple soup
    butternut squash soup.
    winter veg casseroles... just leave in the oven and rescue later....

And puddings...

apple crumble
    jam roly poly...

Have also just discovered slow cookers... brilliant for forget about food... until you need to eat that is....

:D going to have to go and eat......

• Thick beany stews done on the lowest setting of my slow cooker. Then an hour before serving stick the temperature up to high for half an hour until its bubbling and then cover with a layer of suet pastry, dumplings or mini scones and cook half an hour longer.Yum!